Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Broseph Brostar posted:

Catacombs is the best zone for invading. You get skelepals all over the place, plenty of tight spots for fighting 2v1, it's usually easy to find the host since you can actually tell if they ran past enemies, and then of course there's the rickety bridge at the end.

I got the last ten Mound Maker kills I needed invading there.

My character was named Petrus :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

strangemusic posted:

So... when is the canonically correct point to be able to do Dancer without being turned into a bloody smear? I just got to Irythyll, story-wise, and decided to detour back for her, and holy poo poo, ow.

Also: beat the Old Demon King, bwa ha haaaaaa yessssssss.

As for fashion chat: Drang set or bust.

Well you get teleported to there automatically once you've beaten all the other Lords of Cinder, so I'd imagine then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've only ever played melee characters in these games, now that I've finished my first playthrough of 3 I feel like I wanna go through it again playing some kind of caster - should I go for sorcery or pyromancy?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Decided to just banzai and run straight through. Grabbed both items and the covenant seal. Kiss my rear end, Outrider Beasts (they certainly tried).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The best is when you try to do that room embered and in addition to the two Crocomires you have 2+ invaders on your rear end at all times.

Basically gently caress mandatory PvP auto-invade zones.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I've only ever played melee characters in these games, now that I've finished my first playthrough of 3 I feel like I wanna go through it again playing some kind of caster - should I go for sorcery or pyromancy?

On my second playthrough and sorcery is rear end, wildly op in the previous games but deeply underwhelming in 3.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The Rokstar posted:

Well you get teleported to there automatically once you've beaten all the other Lords of Cinder, so I'd imagine then.

I still find that whole scenario a bit clunky. Admittedly, it would have been much more souls-ish to just let you kill the giant and then wander around for hours trying to figure out where the hell you were supposed to go next. But that's probably a little too harsh. The teleport is convenient, but then once you get there I wish that taking two steps in the wrong direction didn't immediately trigger the boss fight. Because I think nearly everyone makes that mistake the first time. Would have been a little more reasonable to at least present you with 'press A to place basin' prompt and then overly suspicious players would probably realize that something was up and maybe they didn't want to do that without first warping back and spending the pile of souls they just got.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goofballs posted:

On my second playthrough and sorcery is rear end, wildly op in the previous games but deeply underwhelming in 3.

Sounds like pyromancy for me then, maybe this time I'll actually be the good student that the pyro NPC claimed I was in my first game.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Jerusalem posted:

I usually run melee with a ptro backup, fire orb with a moderately upgraded glove will serve you well, even better with choes fire orb if you stretch to a second attunement slot. Plus the enemies that are weak to fire (like those loving slimes) you can just punch to death with the pyro fist without spending any FP.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

BobTheJanitor posted:

There's apparently some dialogue from Ludleth that hints at this, but with the way dialogue triggers seem to fail for most people and the NPCs spout the same lines for 20 hours straight, most people never see it.

wait, is that a bug? I thought it was odd that no one said anything new unless it specifically had to do with their questline. Thought from were just getting lazy.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Goofballs posted:

Yeah sorcery in 2 was amazing but here I just never hit hard enough even when using all the sorcery boosting rings. And I do mean all of them.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Pyromancies* in this game are great.

*by "pyromancies" I mean great chaos fire orb, that spell is great

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i just pumped int to 50 and then used sorcery, dakr sorcery or pyro hand depending on the enemies weakness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shouldn't teleport you there because you can see a ladder behind her so obviously it's something you have to do later.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also it's awkward as hell when you sequence break and kill Dancer early and then you get teleported there later on anyway.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Pet Peeve discovered: people placing Invasion signatures down at the same place as pre-boss summons.

Also, where the hell did my Crestfallen guy go? Haven't seen him in ages.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tabletops posted:

wait, is that a bug? I thought it was odd that no one said anything new unless it specifically had to do with their questline. Thought from were just getting lazy.

Maybe? There's no official confirmation, but some people get more dialogue and some get the same lines for almost the entire game. It could be down to really obscure triggers that people aren't hitting, like the problems with quests. But even then, it would still be pretty poor design.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StrangeAeon posted:

There's an optional area called Archdragon Peak, once you get an item there (twinkling dragon stone torso), when you return to the shrine and talk to the blacksmith he'll pass on a message. That gives you the information on where to find him if you so choose (I recommend you do).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

StrangeAeon posted:

He's probably outside the shrine praying at the grave where the undead dag normally is. Why that grave? Because it's Solaire's.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Groovelord Neato posted:

they shouldn't teleport you there because you can see a ladder behind her so obviously it's something you have to do later.

But then we wouldn't get to laugh at people too dumb to use a homeward bone

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I kinda want to go to NG+ as is, but having to clear up all the inventory stock is the least fun part in any Souls game. At least it's easy to farm souls in archdragon peak thanks to the summoners.

Anyways, my fashion souls.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Ni-Oh will make a good Souls replacement based on the alpha demo. It's actually difficult.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

The Rokstar posted:

The best is when you try to do that room embered and in addition to the two Crocomires you have 2+ invaders on your rear end at all times.

Basically gently caress mandatory PvP auto-invade zones.

I did that zone uncindred so that I could take my time - summons are not patient (which is OK; they are there for the rewards) and so had to take them on solo. At first I thought it was going to be impossible based on my last bridge encounter with them, but actually found it a lot more reasonable that I'd suspected. I can offer two tips that might help: Obviously you want to aggro them one at a time. - but what seems counterintuitive is that it's a lot easier to aggro only one at a time if you start with the one that's around the corner. Pull him to the ladder with an arrow or something. Which brings me to tip two: plunging attack off the ladder is possible. teeheeehee

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

He's probably outside the shrine praying at the grave where the undead dag normally is. Why that grave? Because it's Solaire's.

It's definitely Artorias's

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So where is the best place to blue cop?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

On the other hand, shields are probably less useful in DS3 than they are in any other souls game. Enemies are fast, aggressive, and relentless with their combos. Taking them down as quickly as possible is the way to go; tanking them is going to eat all of your stamina and get your guard broken.

Really disagree with this sentiment. I'm playing DS2 right now and a shield seems 100% pointless because every enemy attack is slow and telegraphed so you can easily dodge it. In DS3, enemies can attack so quickly, suddenly, and relentlessly that having a shield is invaluable for those times that you slip up and can't dodge in time. You still need to primarily rely on dodges, but it is a fantastic second line of defense.

It also greatly trivializes a whole lot of enemies in the game due to the stagger. I found dogs and thralls, for example, to be pretty irritating on my initial shieldless run because they move around so much and dodge out of the way of your attacks. With a shield you can just approach while holding L1, let them stagger themselves on your shield in futility, and get a guaranteed easy kill as they're reeling every single time.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

BillmasterCozb posted:

So where is the best place to blue cop?

wherever, I'm lvl 130 or so now and stuck it on for a bit, doesn;t seem to matter where I was, I'd get summoned to a totally different area, even ones i haven't got to yet in my NG+

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

homeless poster posted:

there's a chance they had a friend help them mule the gear onto a new character, but either way, who cares? jump off a roof if it's that upsetting and invade someone else.

also low-level invading is pretty poo poo. imo invading before road of sacrifices is just an exercise in frustration.

After last night I agree. It's just not worth the time. And, that might be a good thing, really. Well - it's almost certainly a good thing. It was an interesting exercise to get to the dreamchaser's ashes with starting stats and a +1 claymore, though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't think enabling player poise is something that'd automatically get you banned, funny enough.

For one thing, I doubt they're watching that particular integer in memory for changes.

But who knows? From has allocated resources to stupider things.

(The reason the game takes so long to start up is that it's decrypting params and other things. Params are pointless to hide, because you can just read them when the game starts up in a memory viewer, and most people edit them using such.)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 26, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

The Rokstar posted:

Pyromancies* in this game are great.

*by "pyromancies" I mean great chaos fire orb, that spell is great

I've seen a lot of people have success with flame destructo disk too.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
If its of any help to anyone still trying to do Dancer I found it helpful to run back and forth between the two ends of the room and just take pot shots as you pass by. Keeping distance and not getting greedy seems to be the most important part of the first phase because if you get grabbed its pretty much over.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I don't think enabling player poise is something that'd automatically get you banned, funny enough.

For one thing, I doubt they're watching that particular integer in memory for changes.

But who knows? From has allocated resources to stupider things.

(The reason the game takes so long to start up is that it's decrypting params and other things. Params are pointless to hide, because you can just read them when the game starts up in a memory viewer, and most people edit them using such.)

people have confirmed that it does ban you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doing the dancer early; if you have a ranged attack to spam and patience (and I mean a lot), you can do her as soon as you have enough vigor to survive one hit from her. She is awful at responding to ranged attacks so as long as you patiently kite her across the arena you can beat her easily. She wastes a ton of time on moves that have no chance of hitting. I've seen her try to grab me when I'm 20 feet away. I say you need enough vigot to survive one hit only because it would suck to spend 5 minutes whittling her down only to get killed by one lucky stab.

Really no point unless you're shooting for a specific item early though, like her set. Her helmet actually looks pretty nice as a phantom as the veil takes on your colour.

If you're melee then better be real loving good at dodging I guess.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Harrow posted:

Basically, assume it doesn't work for you unless you see otherwise, which is a bummer. I'm one of the apparently very few lucky ones who can get summoned and I have no idea what I'm doing differently.

I took my level 70 guy to pontiff sulivan. I can be summoned as a white phantom to help with invaders but I can't be pulled in to help with invaders. I'm confused by the wiki saying that killing aldritch faithful as a blue phantom gets me concord ears. Can I just white phantom this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jumped into DS3 today and got summoned three times as a Darkmoon in ten minutes.

I have no idea why I get summoned and nobody else does. I'm not complaining, I'm just really confused.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You have good internet, they have bad internet. They blame the game for their bad internet.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Jerusalem posted:

Sounds like pyromancy for me then, maybe this time I'll actually be the good student that the pyro NPC claimed I was in my first game.

I just played through both sorcery and pyromancy and my opinion is this: It's way easier to gently caress people up with sorceries in Pvp but easier to gently caress up bosses with huge balls of slow moving fire. For some reason. I thought it'd be the opposite. I really did.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mortimer posted:

people have confirmed that it does ban you

Really? Who has done so?

And I question if that's all they've done.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can you get summoned as a watchdog while unembered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

You have good internet, they have bad internet. They blame the game for their bad internet.

That makes literally no sense given people who don't get summoned can invade and such just fine without lag.

StashAugustine posted:

Can you get summoned as a watchdog while unembered?

Yes.