Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Jumped into DS3 today and got summoned three times as a Darkmoon in ten minutes.

I have no idea why I get summoned and nobody else does. I'm not complaining, I'm just really confused.

Four times now, over 15 minutes of playing total.

I do have good internet but I doubt that explains it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man Oceiros is much less of a joke when he can fairly easily oneshot you and it takes you 1000 attacks to kill him. Trying to get the MLGS as early as possible is proving quite a trial, especially since the run to him is more annoying than the run to Dancer. But I will persevere for the sake of sweet sweet moonlight.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Four times now, over 15 minutes of playing total.

I do have good internet but I doubt that explains it all.

Level 100 at +8, no?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

CJacobs posted:

You have good internet, they have bad internet. They blame the game for their bad internet.

I can get summoned as a white phantom. I can get summoned as aldrich faithful. I did the 30 human dregs for the aldrich faithful in an afternoon and had to take it off because I literally couldn't run up the spiral staircase without getting summoned, and waking up back on the bottom of it when I come back in. In two weeks I have literally never been summoned for farron watchdogs or any bluecop. I can get bluecops to invade. I can be invaded.

There is something different about those two factions that don't work, for a huge number of people. Those specific two. All other multiplayer interactions work as intended. Just those two. What does bad internet have to do with anything?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Level 100 at +8, no?

Nope, level 65 at +7.

Is level 100/+8 a hotspot of PvP or something? Then again I think Darkmoon is, what, -10/+40 SL, so I could be getting level 100 hits? I dunno.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I can get summoned as a white phantom. I can get summoned as aldrich faithful. I did the 30 human dregs for the aldrich faithful in an afternoon and had to take it off because I literally couldn't run up the spiral staircase without getting summoned, and waking up back on the bottom of it when I come back in. In two weeks I have literally never been summoned for farron watchdogs or any bluecop. I can get bluecops to invade. I can be invaded.

There is something different about those two factions that don't work, for a huge number of people. Those specific two. All other multiplayer interactions work as intended. Just those two. What does bad internet have to do with anything?

Because CJacobs is an autistic dick.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Watchdog and Aldritch worked for me. Instant summonings. I left my PS4 on for a few days to see if I'd get any blue summons. I've had two.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Nope, level 65 at +7.

Is level 100/+8 a hotspot of PvP or something?

Hmm. Let me switch to that and see what happens.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Crystal Hail any good, or should I buy the Crystal Sage rapier instead? I'm using the Estoc at +3 right now and enjoying it quite a bit still. 19 Dex, 15 int, 18 attunement. That last was probably a mistake.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

From what I've heard blue summons are most active at 15-120.

Seriously I think I've heard an anecdote for every range, poo poo just doesn't work for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Crystal Hail any good, or should I buy the Crystal Sage rapier instead? I'm using the Estoc at +3 right now and enjoying it quite a bit still. 19 Dex, 15 int, 18 attunement. That last was probably a mistake.

Crystal Hail is awful. The rapier can be good if you're a heavy-INT build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

argondamn posted:

From what I've heard blue summons are most active at 15-120.

Seriously I think I've heard an anecdote for every range, poo poo just doesn't work for me.

I think the "wear Way of Blue when you're embered and not doing other covenant things" word is out, so I'm sure there are plenty of potential Way of Blue people to go help at pretty much any level where there are people invading. It's just something's gotta be loving up somewhere along the way when it seems like the majority of Sentinels/Darkmoons can't be summoned but I'm getting hits faster than I can kill a Silver Knight.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

Neither are very good but the spell is required for the Sorcery achievement if you're chasing that. I've been using the rapier since it scales pretty okay with Intelligence but I can't help but feel that I'd be better off enchanting an estoc or something with Magic, or just putting it on Sharp and using Greater Magic Weapon.

The rapier gives you +50 item find, if you're into that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brannock posted:

Neither are very good but the spell is required for the Sorcery achievement if you're chasing that. I've been using the rapier since it scales pretty okay with Intelligence but I can't help but feel that I'd be better off enchanting an estoc or something with Magic, or just putting it on Sharp and using Greater Magic Weapon.

Depending on how much Dex you have, you might be better off going Raw instead of Sharp and then buffing.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sadly, From no longer lets you use 0xFEFF (use backwards) to dodge the name filters.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brannock posted:

Nah, I know I'll probably be doing a NG+ so if I'm never grabbing the Hail to use it I'll just pick it up next time around. +50 itemfind stick it is, then!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the only thing you have to do to dodge the word filters is use capital letters

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, I know. Alas, I am a stickler for proper capitalization.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Just beat it. Nameless King was the one I had the most trouble with, but it didn't take too long to beat him.

Last boss was a pushover, but cool. Beat him first try.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Krinkle posted:

same. if i put on aldrich faithful i get summoned so frequently that it is a challenge to unequip the badge to turn the covenant off when i am actually done doing pvp, but in 70+ hours of game time i have never once been summoned as blue cop or wolfbro. i have maxed out purple mounds and red slug lady and aldrich and yet the two defensive covenants straight don't work for me.

good news is that after 1M souls farmed from the silver knights, i'm up to 4 proofs of covenant! only 6 more for the first rank reward :shepicide:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Trying to decide on weapons to either put Chaos/Dark on or Raw+Flame Arc for a pyromancer. Currently at 12str/12dex and don't want to really raise either too much more in the short term unless it's really worth doing so. Forgot about kirk and missed out on the barbed sword :(

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

My husband (Solomonic) loves this game series an I am determined to try it for the first time this week. I'm not sure how it will go but I think I will have fun while being extraordinarily angry.

I saw the Gaping Dragon's aoe attack for the first time during this "Dare to Try" Dragon Souls youtube we are watching and it just looked like he pooped everywhere to me

this will be a grand adventure

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone on the Fextralife forums posted datamined info on how good the Carthus Bloodring is. As it turns out, it's loving powerful.

Every roll has i-frames then recovery frames, where you're vulnerable but can't roll again.

Rolling in DS3, whether below or above 30%, has 14 i-frames and 9 recovery frames.
The Bloodring changes that to 19/4. You can roll non-stop and be drat near invincible, it's ridiculous. The 15% extra damage taken sucks, but the Steel Protection or Lloyd's Shield rings will cancel that right out.

For comparison, a DS1 fast roll was 12/12, 14/8 with the DWGR. DS2 varied from 5/20 with poo poo agility to 16/9 when it was maxed out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Really? Who has done so?

And I question if that's all they've done.

afaik it bans you if you edit the files to enable it, but if you just memory edit or whatever after it's loaded up you're fine.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hate the watchdogs because there is no reason for people to be in the swamp after the AW, and even then if they have not beaten them, they'll probably have phantoms, which wouldnt be a problem if the crabs would get out of the swamp and FIGHT

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
So heres a question, who the gently caress are the angels and why have they decided to show up after thousands of years of poo poo being lovely. The winged knights used angel power to vaporize lothric knights inside their armor, so clearly they're powerful. Hope theres a DLC in that somewhere

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Fly Molo posted:

Someone on the Fextralife forums posted datamined info on how good the Carthus Bloodring is. As it turns out, it's loving powerful.

Every roll has i-frames then recovery frames, where you're vulnerable but can't roll again.

Rolling in DS3, whether below or above 30%, has 14 i-frames and 9 recovery frames.
The Bloodring changes that to 19/4. You can roll non-stop and be drat near invincible, it's ridiculous. The 15% extra damage taken sucks, but the Steel Protection or Lloyd's Shield rings will cancel that right out.

For comparison, a DS1 fast roll was 12/12, 14/8 with the DWGR. DS2 varied from 5/20 with poo poo agility to 16/9 when it was maxed out.

Holy. poo poo. That actually changes up a lot of the game.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
I love how the Nameless King was the hardest partly because the loving camera going apeshit during the first phase and not being able to see when he's winding up to swing at you. Second and third phase we're definitely challenging and I ended up just having to zerg the poo poo out of him into a stagger once he hit half health and did his two slow charge up lighting attacks. Definitely a super challenging fight because of his delayed swing times that just gently caress with your roll dodging.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

So heres a question, who the gently caress are the angels and why have they decided to show up after thousands of years of poo poo being lovely. The winged knights used angel power to vaporize lothric knights inside their armor, so clearly they're powerful. Hope theres a DLC in that somewhere

Judging by two (there might be a third one somewhere else, don't remember) statues in the game, they're the Primordial Serpents. There's some statues of the Serpents with wings on their backs and dressed in robes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kild posted:

afaik it bans you if you edit the files to enable it, but if you just memory edit or whatever after it's loaded up you're fine.

That's what I would figure myself.

Do you know where it is, so I don't have to go digging around for it myself? I hate duplicating effort.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Holy. poo poo. That actually changes up a lot of the game.

Yeah. I noticed a big difference fighting bosses with it equipped, but it really clicked when I was fighting Oceiros- I could just roll-roll-roll through his combos and never get hit. It turned a tough fight into a cakewalk.

e: lol I loving knew poise was broken.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Trying to decide on weapons to either put Chaos/Dark on or Raw+Flame Arc for a pyromancer. Currently at 12str/12dex and don't want to really raise either too much more in the short term unless it's really worth doing so. Forgot about kirk and missed out on the barbed sword :(

I guess to be more specific on this: If I'm planning on keeping str/dex fairly low and using the int/fth scaling from Chaos/Dark infusions as a pyromancer, is Dark Sword enough of up upgrade over Longsword or Broadsword (not sure which is more preferable here) to be worth the 7 levels of stats needed to equip it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Betty posted:

I love how the Nameless King was the hardest partly because the loving camera going apeshit during the first phase and not being able to see when he's winding up to swing at you. Second and third phase we're definitely challenging and I ended up just having to zerg the poo poo out of him into a stagger once he hit half health and did his two slow charge up lighting attacks. Definitely a super challenging fight because of his delayed swing times that just gently caress with your roll dodging.

It's funny how the first part goes from,"Oh my God this is impossible" to "yeah yeah whatever I gotta kick the poo poo out of you AGAIN :rolleyes:" because I was concentrating so much on getting to the second stage that the first part became almost muscle memory. It was so frustrating to get smashed a few seconds into the second stage (or even worse, most of the way through the third stage) and then have to go back to doing that "easy" first stage again.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

Judging by two (there might be a third one somewhere else, don't remember) statues in the game, they're the Primordial Serpents. There's some statues of the Serpents with wings on their backs and dressed in robes.

there's way more than two; there's like four in the DS armor boss room

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Lothric Spear has a passive buff that grants you poise.

It would probably do a lot for that thing's functional viability compared to the alternatives if it did anything for you.

I do at least think it looks nice :downs:

Vargs posted:

Really disagree with this sentiment. I'm playing DS2 right now and a shield seems 100% pointless because every enemy attack is slow and telegraphed so you can easily dodge it. In DS3, enemies can attack so quickly, suddenly, and relentlessly that having a shield is invaluable for those times that you slip up and can't dodge in time. You still need to primarily rely on dodges, but it is a fantastic second line of defense.

It also greatly trivializes a whole lot of enemies in the game due to the stagger. I found dogs and thralls, for example, to be pretty irritating on my initial shieldless run because they move around so much and dodge out of the way of your attacks. With a shield you can just approach while holding L1, let them stagger themselves on your shield in futility, and get a guaranteed easy kill as they're reeling every single time.

I was a huge shield baby in DS1, but while I can't Pro Tank something that hits as hards as a Capra Demon with a normal shield, DS3 normal shields have still given me a great saftey buffer for being sloppy with my dodge timing on enemies who don't just bounce of it.

I have not used Greatshields in DS3 I admit, so if those don't transition you to being able to take two or three cathedral knight normal attacks without being guard crushed, then yeah I could see the disappointment.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So just to clarify, poise does literally nothing at all in this game, correct?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fly Molo posted:

e: lol I loving knew poise was broken.

drat right it is, you look up poise breakpoints on the internet, proceed to spam R1, completely ignore enemy attacks and it kinda breaks the game.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So just to clarify, poise does literally nothing at all in this game, correct?

I wouldn't bet on nothing just yet, since you can poise through attacks just fine using heavy weapons, so it might affect their hyper armor just like in DS2. It might affect poise weapon arts as well. It doesn't appear to have any effect in neutral stance though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fly Molo posted:

Has anyone figured out what the I-frames/recovery frames are on Quickstep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Man, I feel like just overleveling like crazy in response to my inability to git gud. Those Tar Snake enemies in the consumed garden hit like a mack truck. Also, should I pretty much stop leveling STR+DEX after 30, considering I have my refined longsword at +10? My right hand damage is ~380, I feel like I'm doing gently caress all to the bosses though.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 26, 2016