Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brave New World posted:

I found that Star Trek Online was everything that EVE should have been, at least regarding gameplay mechanics- and I say that as someone that's not even a fan of Star Trek. EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game. I'd love to play a high intrigue politics/capitalism sandbox that has good controls and fun combat, but EVE definitely isn't it.

Both of these games are garbage, which really hurts me because a Star Trek MMO should have been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Both of these games are garbage, which really hurts me because a Star Trek MMO should have been amazing.

Isn't Star Citizen the ideal version of both?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Isn't Star Citizen the ideal version of both?

Yep, both would be improved greatly if they didn't exist.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Did the MMO genre die? Are there even any cool new MMO's in development

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

they're still doing State of the goonion? holy poo poo lol

EVE is like the perfect MMO except it's not because the gameplay is so bad. But everything else is what MMO's should strive to be

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zzulu posted:

AAA MMOs are dead until further notice. It's all crowdfunding now, but that comes with the benefit of appealing to niche markets and sticking to them.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Zzulu posted:

No but no one needs new mmos constantly, it just doesn't make sense since the genre is about longterm investments
We have ESO, FFXIV, WoW (very alive despite being poo poo), EVE etc. the genre is doing well but there's just no need to oversaturate

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wow and eve released over a decade ago. I seem to remember there being a boom of MMO's right after WoW but they were all bad and died

I would like some new MMO's that were actually good, personally.

I can invest time in more than a handful of games over the course of decades haha

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ESO and FFXIV are what youre looking for then.
I don't think the world needs all the Rifts and Aions and Wildstars that die within year from release, I'd rather see one good mmorpg launch every few years.. 2007-2010 was epic time with so many mmorpgs alive at the same time but that boat has sailed, there just aren't enough mmorpg players to support that anymore

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ESO is good.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ESO is a game I wanted to try for a long time but eventually gave up, the pricing confuses the hell out of me. Their official site sells it for 55 eur, you'd have to look for discounts elsewhere because the difference is huge. Three DLCs are sold separately, one race is hidden in the Impretial edition, cross-faction race choice is sold separately, the cash shop sells respec, xp boosts, bag space, "vampire bites" :rolleyes: I can't imagine how much I'd have to spend to play it comfortably.
Love your review though Lizard Wizard.

Shy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 24, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WELL! Just keep your eyes out for a sale on Steam, really.
  • The DLC you can get if you end up liking the game and wanting more content. Strange, I know.
  • You seriously don't need the Imperial race since Imperials are nothing more than human-rear end humans. Seriously, I can't imagine.
  • Cross-faction race choice isn't a serious issue, since there are active goon guilds on each faction and you do get to experience all three factions' content regardless of race.
  • Respecs and bag space can be bought with gold, and you shouldn't really have much of a problem leveling normally.
  • You can literally just have another player with vampirism do you a solid and turn you.

So basically don't worry, there's no real pressure to burn your money in ESO.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Human humans is my preferred choice in MMOs because I'm creative and original.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bretons are close enough.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that most of the races are closer to human than they were in previous titles, with the exception of the good onesArgonians and Khajiit.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 24, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Elves still have their little forehead ridges and pointy faces but it isn't as distinctive as in Skyrim.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I bought ESO for like 20 bucks on sale like 5-6 months ago. It didn't stick for me but it's certainly a quality game.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Lizard Wizard posted:

WELL! Just keep your eyes out for a sale on Steam, really.
  • The DLC you can get if you end up liking the game and wanting more content. Strange, I know.
  • You seriously don't need the Imperial race since Imperials are nothing more than human-rear end humans. Seriously, I can't imagine.
  • Cross-faction race choice isn't a serious issue, since there are active goon guilds on each faction and you do get to experience all three factions' content regardless of race.
  • Respecs and bag space can be bought with gold, and you shouldn't really have much of a problem leveling normally.
  • You can literally just have another player with vampirism do you a solid and turn you.

So basically don't worry, there's no real pressure to burn your money in ESO.

I think you've sold me on trying this. I'll have to add it to my watch list and keep an eye out at the next steam sale.

Also hi chicken wing

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shy posted:

Human humans is my preferred choice in MMOs because I'm creative and original.

There's also Bretons, which are also human-rear end humans. You don't have to pay to be them.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
ESO is great if you're okay with playing Skyrim without mods for 400 hours

You can easily grab ESO for below $15 on a key site. Here's one.
http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online%3A-Tamriel-Unlimited-CD-Key-%28Digital-Download%29.html

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's also Bretons, which are also human-rear end humans. You don't have to pay to be them.

I mean they're half-elves but yeah.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I tried ESO right at launch and it felt stiff and boring and lovely and turdy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zzulu posted:

I tried ESO right at launch and it felt stiff and boring and lovely and turdy

That's basically every MMO at launch

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah you can pick up the regular edition with a key for the Adventurer's Pack or whatever the thing that gives you cross faction and other goodies for about ten bucks, Imperial for less than 20. Just not on Steam or their own store and also remember that DLC you buy from the ingame store does not transfer between EU and NA but external keys you buy do. And unlike other games race choice in ESO is kind of sort of pretty important so even if Bretons do it for you the any race any alliance deal will come in handy if you don't want to be a magic dude. Or a tanky magic dude.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

AAA MMOs are dead until further notice. It's all crowdfunding now, but that comes with the benefit of appealing to niche markets and sticking to them.

Might end up going pretty well. With enough attempts you might get one with decent bones that ends up being decent. Sucks for the people (like me admittingly) that likes to put money into every crowdfund mmo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Why did this happen anyway? I had my share of MMOs and then got tired of the carrot-stick thing. Did people get tired of that on a massive scale too? I tried to revisit a few old ones, even picked up a sub, but the appeal is long gone even though they generally got big QoL updates.

Wurm Online was a cool exception for me. Pretty consistent experience all-around, even if that experience is goofy, badly animated and voiced, and dogpoop ugly. But despite being so visually offensive, it was pretty immersive. Before I knew about SA's goon presence, it was oddly calming building a cabin away from towns. At night, it would feel appropriately lonely when you hear wolves and work by torchlight. I made a few buddies with pubbies that ended up in my neck of the woods. Made the experience less lonely. Town life scaled well too. A lot more players to mingle with, definitely a feeling of safety, and high quality communal tools made the experience fun. The Challenge Mode PVP servers were cool because of the ridiculous EXP multipliers, but the actual combat was pretty atrocious outside of small skirmishes. PvE is where its at.

This is most likely minority opinion, but I think Wurm had the best MMO player base (outside of the Reddit/4chan/SA seasonal invasions). Folks are a little obsessed with their virtual estates, but they're generally kind and charitable. When I was learning the game, I had a handful of people offer me a spare tool, bandage me, or feed me. And since the player base was so small, people were generally cool to chat with.

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 25, 2016

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
The market was saturated, there's too many MMO's and too few players. Plus very few of them do enough different to stand out, so every MMO was just a launch rush followed by everyone quitting within a month when they realized it was just the same old song and dance. If you do find one or two you like playing you're probably not touching the other twenty or so at the same time.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
ESO might be an okay game but the core combat/ability/movement feels really bad so it doesn't matter what the rest of the game is like to me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Avocados posted:

Why did this happen anyway? I had my share of MMOs and then got tired of the carrot-stick thing. Did people get tired of that on a massive scale too? I tried to revisit a few old ones, even picked up a sub, but the appeal is long gone even though they generally got big QoL updates.

Wurm Online was a cool exception for me. Pretty consistent experience all-around, even if that experience is goofy, badly animated and voiced, and dogpoop ugly. But despite being so visually offensive, it was pretty immersive. Before I knew about SA's goon presence, it was oddly calming building a cabin away from towns. At night, it would feel appropriately lonely when you hear wolves and work by torchlight. I made a few buddies with pubbies that ended up in my neck of the woods. Made the experience less lonely. Town life scaled well too. A lot more players to mingle with, definitely a feeling of safety, and high quality communal tools made the experience fun. The Challenge Mode PVP servers were cool because of the ridiculous EXP multipliers, but the actual combat was pretty atrocious outside of small skirmishes. PvE is where its at.

This is most likely minority opinion, but I think Wurm had the best MMO player base (outside of the Reddit/4chan/SA seasonal invasions). Folks are a little obsessed with their virtual estates, but they're generally kind and charitable. When I was learning the game, I had a handful of people offer me a spare tool, bandage me, or feed me. And since the player base was so small, people were generally cool to chat with.

Basically we had a period of 6-8 years where everything was trying to be the "WoW killer" or emulate WoW in order to leech off its player base. WoW players generally stayed at WoW and MMO "tourists" burnt themselves out playing the same game 50 times over. People who became moderately curious about other MMOs tried the alternatives and saw that these games were the same loving thing, without the backing of Blizzard or the amount of content that World of Warcraft provided, so why migrate? AAA publishers became increasingly aware of this and they either tried to get first month sales and put the projects on life support or moved to mobile games... and later MOBAs.

Meanwhile the people who enjoy more open types of games like Ultima Online/Asheron's Call/Star Wars Galaxies/EVE Online were completely ignored despite the fact that those games are some of the few examples that have retained a consistent player base, on official servers or otherwise.

I'm convinced that the genre isn't dead. Big licenses are generally doing well but the increasing list of criteria that potential players have towards their MMOs is only growing longer and longer. It used to be "Looks cool? I'll play it" due to a lack of options and generally longer attention spans. Now it's "Who is it published by? What kind of business model? Are there classes? Is there a traditional player trinity? Is there a cash shop? Is the cash shop pay to win? What kind of gameplay does it cater to primarily, PVE or PVP? How open is the PVP? Are there multiple shards? How are servers handled? Is there a group finder? Is there an auction house? Are there RP servers? Is it a themepark? Is it a sandbox? Is it too much of a themepark? Is it from Korea? Is it too grindy? Is it being localized? Is it too much of a sandbox? Is it on Steam? Was it crowdfunded? Do they use third party assets? Is there a trial? How are the restrictions on trial accounts because I don't want to play if I can't do anything in it! How are the death penalties? Is it full loot?" and the list goes on and on.

Even if there was a perfect game for someone, there's a million other opportunities for the people in charge to miss one of the boxes players absolutely demand to be checked to consider playing it, and that's assuming that the people who would be interested in that sort of game even knows about it due to the fact that there are more games now than ever, with very little storefront curation. That's what's appealing about crowdfunded MMOs, outside of the larger and ambitious ones, they know who they're appealing to and they'll do anything to get those people into their game.

Pesterchum posted:

The market was saturated, there's too many MMO's and too few players. Plus very few of them do enough different to stand out, so every MMO was just a launch rush followed by everyone quitting within a month when they realized it was just the same old song and dance. If you do find one or two you like playing you're probably not touching the other twenty or so at the same time.
This. Also, since these games were generally so similar, even if you liked the game you picked, did you like it enough to get rid of years worth of updates/end-game content and such a large community?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BromanderData posted:

Also hi chicken wing

hi bromander :3:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Swtor is pretty fun

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hated the WoW community. If someone ever told me they played WoW it was pretty much guaranteed we wouldn't get along. If you're still playing WoW then that's just sad. You looked at WoW and said "yup that's my forever game" thereby securing your blandness for all eternity. You can't even look good because all your armor is painted on to your body

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 25, 2016

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
I haven't played FF14 since 2.0 released so I don't think its fair for me to elaborate into it too much, other than that it was pretty polished and the gameplay was good, however the combat left a lot to be desired.

When it comes to 3rd person hotkey MMOs, what I have played extensively in the past 18 months is WoW and GW2, the first 12 being WoW and the latter being GW2. I did the whole mythic raiding shindig with WoW and I think it has the best end-game PvE (raids). The casual content on the other hand, the poo poo that makes you want to play everyday is simply not there. WoW literally revolves around raiding right now, and if you're someone that's been playing for years the old content just isn't that interesting. Unless you want to chase high percentile parses doing the same raid over and over again, by all means go for it. The combat is solid, the loot is rewarding and the competition in PvE is definitely there. But as far as varied content? As soon as you're done clearing the raid on mythic the satisfaction of playing the game sharply drops off.

GW2 on the other hand I think is in a really great spot right now. They just came out with a patch that pretty much everyone playing right now is praising, bitter vets included. The patch pretty much just said gently caress off to all the grindy poo poo and double/tripled rewards in the new expansion maps. as well as providing incentive to play older content (dungeons). The new maps are pretty, the graphics/spell effects are a notch above WoW's thanks to a slightly newer engine. The game has a heavy emphasis on exploration and dynamic events, GW2 feels much more like an MMO than WoW has for a long time. The combat isn't as complex/nuanced as WoW's when it comes to rotations and such but its not any less interesting/satisfying.

WoW is probably the game to play when Legion hits, but as an inbetween I think you'll have a good time with GW2.

Hurp Durp Master fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 25, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

WoW is probably the game to play when Legion hits, but as an inbetween I think you'll have a good time with GW2.

What about WoW is changing for the better come Legion? Pretty much every WoW expansion has shifted emphasis wildly based on who was bitching the most during the expansion's run up time.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

DeathSandwich posted:

What about WoW is changing for the better come Legion? Pretty much every WoW expansion has shifted emphasis wildly based on who was bitching the most during the expansion's run up time.

Not to mention, whatever they're changing? Bet money on them dropping support of it immediately as they start work on the following expansion.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pesterchum posted:

Not to mention, whatever they're changing? Bet money on them dropping support of it immediately as they start work on the following expansion.

I don't even play WoW and this annoys me. Why do they do this?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I just can't do WoW anymore. Every time I play it the stints get shorter and shorter. I made it for the last two months of pandaria and something like two months of Burning Crusade 2.0 minus the burning part.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

ESO might be an okay game but the core combat/ability/movement feels really bad so it doesn't matter what the rest of the game is like to me.

Just curious, but what do you think makes ESO an okay game if not the core combat/ability/movement?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I just can't do WoW anymore. Every time I play it the stints get shorter and shorter. I made it for the last two months of pandaria and something like two months of Burning Crusade 2.0 minus the burning part.

A lot of the people that still want to play WoW are doing so on private servers. Some of them are really big and really professional at this point.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Brave New World posted:

A lot of the people that still want to play WoW are doing so on private servers. Some of them are really big and really professional at this point.

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.

The guys who play on private wow servers do it because vanilla/tbc/wrath wow was actually fun for them to play, so having to move every 6 months or whatever isn't a big deal.

Alternatively: if you're gonna invest a thousand hours into a game without having fun doing it or learning how to do something, why would you invest a thousand hours into it?

Joke alternatively, if you want it to be around in 5 years you shouldn't play wow in any form :v:

• Locked thread