Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

Lothric Spear has a passive buff that grants you poise.

There's a bunch of popular goddamn weapons like the Cestus and Black Knight Sword whose weapon art is a poise buff lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

School Nickname posted:

Man, I feel like just overleveling like crazy in response to my inability to git gud. Those Tar Snake enemies in the consumed garden hit like a mack truck. Also, should I pretty much stop leveling STR+DEX after 30, considering I have my refined longsword at +10?

It'll keep scaling well until 40/40, and for the tar snakes try :supaburn:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

You have good internet, they have bad internet. They blame the game for their bad internet.

It's literally only with specific covenants though, there's no reason to write it off as bad internet before waiting and seeing if it can get resolved.
It might be poor connection, but to ignore other possibilities is foolish.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Someone on the Fextralife forums posted datamined info on how good the Carthus Bloodring is. As it turns out, it's loving powerful.

Every roll has i-frames then recovery frames, where you're vulnerable but can't roll again.

Rolling in DS3, whether below or above 30%, has 14 i-frames and 9 recovery frames.
The Bloodring changes that to 19/4. You can roll non-stop and be drat near invincible, it's ridiculous. The 15% extra damage taken sucks, but the Steel Protection or Lloyd's Shield rings will cancel that right out.

For comparison, a DS1 fast roll was 12/12, 14/8 with the DWGR. DS2 varied from 5/20 with poo poo agility to 16/9 when it was maxed out.

Jesus, that sounds like it'd trivialize many boss-fights. I wonder how many people who found them really easy compared to previous DS games happened to use that ring.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I think I'm in love with axes and war cry

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

That's what I would figure myself.

Do you know where it is, so I don't have to go digging around for it myself? I hate duplicating effort.

Allegedly in the common CE table under player pointers.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
feeble cursed one!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xenolalia posted:

It's literally only with specific covenants though, there's no reason to write it off as bad internet before waiting and seeing if it can get resolved.
It might be poor connection, but to ignore other possibilities is foolish.

If some covenants work and others don't due to "poor connection", maybe they should've coded all of them in such a way that they work with "poor connection"

It's like blaming console players for their choice of platform if the PS4 version ran at 5 FPS or something

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Is there something special about axes? Every time I see somebody with one, I assume they're a free kill.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Various stages of fashion souls:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

Is there something special about axes? Every time I see somebody with one, I assume they're a free kill.

They hit hard and fast, they only look bad because straight swords are completely ridiculous. Warcry R2 is pretty fun, though not terribly easy to land in PvP from my experience.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

So I haven't read the entire thread because I don't have the time for it considering how fast it moves, but what's the general consensus on the final boss?

Putting my thoughts in spoilers just in case: Definitely the best final boss out of all soulsborne games and a great example of "use everything you've learned". Love how it felt like I really was fighting a bunch of player characters infused into one body to be a huge badass that uses multiple weapon types as well as magic/pyro/miracles. It's like, every guy I played through DS1 as? well now I gotta kill them all at the same time.

And then phase 2 starts with THAT music and overall feels like a big apology for DS1 final boss. Amazing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I used to think Mad Phantoms were kinda fundamentally stupid but I enjoy the effect they've had on gamer mentality; some are like pure invaders, but a lot seem to treat it as an excuse to dick around which is great. I summoned two of them and basically raced through the level stirring up enemies and having them fight. One kept up with me, and then holy knight Hodor invaded and hosed my rear end in a top hat with his greatsword and my mad phantom, Gregor, collapsed in despair as I died.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

I wouldn't bet on nothing just yet, since you can poise through attacks just fine using heavy weapons, so it might affect their hyper armor just like in DS2. It might affect poise weapon arts as well. It doesn't appear to have any effect in neutral stance though.
That's not poise, that's specific moves having armor.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

smuh posted:

So I haven't read the entire thread because I don't have the time for it considering how fast it moves, but what's the general consensus on the final boss?

Putting my thoughts in spoilers just in case: Definitely the best final boss out of all soulsborne games and a great example of "use everything you've learned". Love how it felt like I really was fighting a bunch of player characters infused into one body to be a huge badass that uses multiple weapon types as well as magic/pyro/miracles. It's like, every guy I played through DS1 as? well now I gotta kill them all at the same time.

And then phase 2 starts with THAT music and overall feels like a big apology for DS1 final boss. Amazing.

I loved it as well, but when the firekeeper says you have to gather the souls of the original lords, I actually thought they were gonna have us fighting Nito, Gwyn, the Witch of Izalith, and the Pygmy at once and was kinda making GBS threads myself.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

f#a# posted:

Various stages of fashion souls:

Sweet angle for the screenshot! I like how you can see a bloodstain way in the back

Edit:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If some covenants work and others don't due to "poor connection", maybe they should've coded all of them in such a way that they work with "poor connection"

It's like blaming console players for their choice of platform if the PS4 version ran at 5 FPS or something

Yeah I didn't mean poor connection on the player's end, I meant on From/Bamco's end.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Question:

I just did the Sword Master/Dancer early kill glitch. Noice.

Can I duplicate this save a couple times so I have a few readymade gimmick characters for PVP? I don't want to glitch in endgame weapons, I just want to park one on Mound Makers, one on Wolf Bros, one in Blue Sentinels with different sillyboy gimmicks.

I know you can back up your save but can you duplicate it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ruggington posted:

I think I'm in love with axes and war cry

Crescent Axe is a "Halberd" with Warcry. And when you use warcry it turn's it's halberd spin hard attacks into an overhead smash. Only on the end of a long handle that doesn't need 32+ strength to wield.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Oops. Edit: They have fun moveset and look cool, and the majority of them have rather forgiving stat requirements if you are not going for Great Axes.

I liked the Craftsman hammer in DS2 in large part because it had the axe moveset.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 26, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Summoned a sunbro to help me reach the Aldrich covenant because gently caress fighting those rat dogs alone. I'm really disappointed McDonnel is just a corpse. I was hoping to hear some explanation for why these guys love the goo so much.

Killing Aldrich won't actually gently caress up the covenant though, right?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is pure pyromancy a bad idea

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

As far as I'm aware there aren't any enemies that have 100% resistance against fire, like DS1 or 2 have, so... possibly not, as long as you have the MP.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah.

btw I knew the carthus bloodring was great but I didn't know it was "literally more than halve your vulnerable roll frames" great lmao

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Summoned a sunbro to help me reach the Aldrich covenant because gently caress fighting those rat dogs alone. I'm really disappointed McDonnel is just a corpse. I was hoping to hear some explanation for why these guys love the goo so much.

Killing Aldrich won't actually gently caress up the covenant though, right?

Nope, killing Aldrich does nothing to the covenant.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

hampig posted:

It'll keep scaling well until 40/40, and for the tar snakes try :supaburn:

Yeah I use fire but I think it's a stamina problem on my part. Can't get enough hits in on time to kill them. I hosed up bad on my stat build. Only 25 endurance, plus I thought I needed 14 Faith to actually light the Firelink bonfire. :doh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CJacobs posted:

As far as I'm aware there aren't any enemies that have 100% resistance against fire, like DS1 or 2 have, so... possibly not, as long as you have the MP.

i want to use pyromancy but i think using "coventional weaponry" with it will simply hold me back

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BillmasterCozb posted:

Nope, killing Aldrich does nothing to the covenant.

I guess that's a testament to the power of faith

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

I mean, the game is a lot easier if you use throwing knives/sorceries instead of running dick first in to stuff. That fight was pretty tough as a melee

Hell I just walked up and walked back and they all killed themselves by flying into the pit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

"Pure" magic is always dumb as hell. Just use a real weapon and enchant it with flame arc. You can still throw plenty of fireballs.

Otherwise have fun trying to get through Smoldering Lake.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

I use greataxe. I like greataxe. This is why I like greataxe

With heavy infusion, scales very well with STR

Good moveset in it's excellent rolling attack R1 (Two hands), and it's weapon art can punish predictable wake up rolls.

Did most of the game with Greataxe, this game made me happy in that it gives you a Great Axe pretty early, and I've always wanted to do a souls game run with one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

"Pure" magic is always dumb as hell. Just use a real weapon and enchant it with flame arc. You can still throw plenty of fireballs.

I dunnno man i was pure magic in dark solsse 2 and it went ok until the Shadeed Woods where poo poo completely resisted it and that was not so cool

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kild posted:

Allegedly in the common CE table under player pointers.

Haha those idiots!

I take back what I said; people are getting banned for editing that.

Want to know why?

The first post's CE table's "Open" script has its first command as "debugProcess(2)", which attaches a debugger to the game.

They aren't being banned for editing memory, they're being banned for attaching a debugger.

The guy who made that table is a known rear end in a top hat in the DS2 days.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xenolalia posted:

Yeah I didn't mean poor connection on the player's end, I meant on From/Bamco's end.

sorry, I'm prolly just slightly defensive because the blue covenants have always been my favorites and I'm astounded that they took away all forms of blue eye orbs and the dueling arena without at least fixing the design issues around sentinel summons

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

i want to use pyromancy but i think using "coventional weaponry" with it will simply hold me back

The only person stopping you from trying it is yourseeeeellllefffffff

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Zombies' Downfall posted:

sorry, I'm prolly just slightly defensive because the blue covenants have always been my favorites and I'm astounded that they took away all forms of blue eye orbs and the dueling arena without at least fixing the design issues around sentinel summons

No worries, I just hope we find out the cause eventually! I had a character who didn't get summoned for the whole game, but I made another on the same pc and I get summoned normally.

I think whoever suggested the theory about bluecops being "queued" makes sense, because it took my second character like 20 hours before the first summon and now I get hits all the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

I dunnno man i was pure magic in dark solsse 2 and it went ok until the Shadeed Woods where poo poo completely resisted it and that was not so cool

Well that's what I mean; some enemies have stupidly high fire resistance. The orbs of fire are straight up immune to fire damage, so that room that starts filled with them is gonna be a huge pain in the rear end.

That being said its not like you can't fall back on a weapon if it becomes miserable so go for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Well that's what I mean; some enemies have stupidly high fire resistance. The orbs of fire are straight up immune to fire damage, so that room that starts filled with them is gonna be a huge pain in the rear end.

That being said its not like you can't fall back on a weapon if it becomes miserable so go for it.

Oh yeah I forgot that the Demon Ruins exists. Thankfully you don't have to go there except to get the pyro tomes that are down there, and that's a pretty easy run.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

School Nickname posted:

Yeah I use fire but I think it's a stamina problem on my part. Can't get enough hits in on time to kill them. I hosed up bad on my stat build. Only 25 endurance, plus I thought I needed 14 Faith to actually light the Firelink bonfire. :doh:

Keep your shield up, back away from them, when they charge in to attack, roll through it and hit them from behind until they stop attacking, then roll away and repeat.

Fire helps but isn't necessary.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The only person stopping you from trying it is yourseeeeellllefffffff

planning for the future i'm a bit too drunk to play souls at the moment but I do appreciate your advice friends

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

voltcatfish posted:

Why not go all rounder? At SL95 it's conceivable that you'd have enough Faith, Int and with the darkmoon ring, enough slots to go with a longsword build with STR/DEX 30. That way you'd have the ability to call for lightning, magic or flame for your longsword at any time.

e; also lol when will these idiot civilian players realise that we can't hack our way through the fog for a boss battle.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Internet Kraken posted:

Flame arc my favorite pyromancy. I used magic weapon in the farron keep area, and then when I got to the boss I learned it did piss-all (it added like 10 damage). Flame arc gives it an actually semi-decent buff, and looks cool as poo poo. Was this spell in DS1/2? Because if so, I never found it. Only ever used resins.
The only downside is I can't use the spell on my Farron Greatsword and imitate the 2nd phase of Abyss Watchers.