Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

PierreTheMime posted:

Have them start at S3 per standard, but add in for every game turn that a unit is involved in combat it adds +1S until that combat resolves.

Seems a little busted, if appropriate. What about just keeping the FC bonus to strength the whole combat if they successfully charge? Simple as adding one more army-wide rule to every non-grot infantry unit in the doc :shepicide:

I like this. It gives the opportunity for Orks to be S4 more consistently, but it'd be silly to have a 9 point model with almost-Marine stats as basic troops (10 points with Hatred & choppas, or with Shootas), let alone a constant strength growth mechanic.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PierreTheMime posted:

Have them start at S3 per standard, but add in for every game turn that a unit is involved in combat it adds +1S until that combat resolves.

That's cool and fluffy but a little bit too powerful if you really tarpit somebody.

I'd make it more like the Skitarii melee weapons (resonating or something?) where they gain a bonus after the first round of combat. +1 or maybe +2, but then no further.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ork bomber looks cool. Just take the rear turret off.

For orks you should check out the HH rules for World Eaters. They have some good ideas there.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Ork bomber looks cool. Just take the rear turret off.

For orks you should check out the HH rules for World Eaters. They have some good ideas there.

Which book has the WE list? My friends & I only have a couple & none have theirs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll save you the headache:

quote:

-WE units may reroll 1's to wound on the turn they charge. Characters gain +1 WS when fighting in a challenge. Must consolidate after assault towards something they can hurt. If they fail a morale check in assault, roll a d6. On a 4+ they count as passing and gain Rage.
-If you play traitors then they reroll 1s in the turn they charge, have +1 WS in challenges, and have rage
-Free chain axes for all models
-A special unit allows any infantry unit to have +1 attack in assault, but for each model that rolls a 1 they take an automatic wound. If its upgrade this way it no longer scores, but can deny as usual (there is no obsec in 30k)
-A few other special units give them FNP 6 or FNP+1

I would avoid giving them rules that force you to keep track of how many turns of combat they have been in

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
E: This is not the 30k thread

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 26, 2016

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Bring back the old Mob Rule.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

I would avoid giving them rules that force you to keep track of how many turns of combat they have been in

Agree on this--too much bookkeeping, especially if you have multiple units in combat for multiple turns. Plus, you have to worry about tracking game turns vs. player turns.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Suggesting that 40k Orks should use the rules of the second-worst 30k Legion is some next level trolling Bulba.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I changed my mind, they should use 30k dark angles rules

(those are their newly buffed rules, not the old ones)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So Space Marines get a new flyer that is supposed to be an interceptor, but has the most limited visibility ever and looks more like a ground attack craft, but no new Chaos flier?

New Ork flier looks nice though.

BTW, apparently there will be a new phase in the game just for fliers.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

jadebullet posted:

BTW, apparently there will be a new phase in the game just for fliers.

There are more armies with fliers than there are armies with psykers.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
The current meltdown is that it will be a mandatory addition to the game which changes and rebalances all the flyers and adds another long rear end phase.

As opposed to just rules for doing the dumb dog fight stuff again,

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Von Humboldt posted:

The current meltdown is that it will be a mandatory addition to the game which changes and rebalances all the flyers and adds another long rear end phase.

As opposed to just rules for doing the dumb dog fight stuff again,

I don't know what would be worse--adding another phase to an already bloated, long game, or having the rules be optional and as a result, completely meaningless like the last iteration of the book

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In what sane universe does an Ork flyer look infinitely more airworthy than a space marine one? That thing looks to have 1/10th of the lift surfaces of the ork jet. And what ever happened to the imperial navy? Why not make an interceptor in plastic that space marines, admech and AM can have, or do marines need to be able to wear every hat now?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I changed my mind, they should use 30k dark angles rules
:negative:

Speaking of Dork Angles, it's great to see yet another flyer they probably won't have access to in 40k. Their unique planes still suck poo poo compared to the stormtalon and stormraven. This new one even looks like it'll take the supposed air superiority role from the Nephilim. Even with its slight discount/revamp it was never all that great at it because everyone plays space marines and rolls around in 12/12/12 flying bullshit. DA have no counters to that except for flakk devastators or blind-firing heavy weapons into the sky like morons. Dark Angels are poo poo and always will be in every iteration of the game.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Master Twig posted:

Bring back the old Mob Rule.

First thing I did. Simplicity was a design value. Infinitely superior to, "Check 4 conditional modifiers & roll on a chart to lose multiple 6-point models when Guard can execute 1 4-point & auto-pass." I'm on the fence about Bosspole giving +1 LD, but it def lets you deal a wound no saves to pass.

BULBASAUR posted:

World Eaters

Orks have Fleet back from 'Ere We Go!, which covers charging & running. I may add in that they keep S4 if they charge into assault for as long as that combat lasts; S3 getting charged double-sucks, & it should.

Big Choppas having Rending I can't justify for 5 points straight up, but it's simpler than the "-1 to save roll" it has now; I'll probably boost them to 10, though Nobz & Boss Nobz now all have "Tooled Up Right," which lets them take melee weapons for 5 points less. Rending & S+2 AP5 on a Warboss is worthy of 10 points, I guess.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cross Post from the miniature painting thread:

Tanks Tanks Tanks

I got a bunch of stuff painted for April - The Independent Characters Hobby Challenge is pretty addictive

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Safety Factor posted:

:negative:

Speaking of Dork Angles, it's great to see yet another flyer they probably won't have access to in 40k. Their unique planes still suck poo poo compared to the stormtalon and stormraven. This new one even looks like it'll take the supposed air superiority role from the Nephilim. Even with its slight discount/revamp it was never all that great at it because everyone plays space marines and rolls around in 12/12/12 flying bullshit. DA have no counters to that except for flakk devastators or blind-firing heavy weapons into the sky like morons. Dark Angels are poo poo and always will be in every iteration of the game.

I still love my Dark Angel jets because they look boss as hell, but even with the gun buffs and the slight point drop they got, they still aren't amazing.

Honestly I don't even mind the regular Space Marine jets, at least until we see how good the new one is, but those Space Wolf ones can gently caress directly off.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Hamshot posted:

In what sane universe does an Ork flyer look infinitely more airworthy than a space marine one? That thing looks to have 1/10th of the lift surfaces of the ork jet. And what ever happened to the imperial navy? Why not make an interceptor in plastic that space marines, admech and AM can have, or do marines need to be able to wear every hat now?

Adeptus Astartes (TM) are the iconic, premier faction of Games Workshop's beloved WarHammer Forty-Thousand (R) property, son. They're the TF2 collectors of "different hats": can now out-tank Guard, can sometimes out-horde Nids/Orks, out-airpower DAngels, or out-speed Dark Eldar. I just wish they could only do one of each at a time per game.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Yeast posted:

I got a bunch of stuff painted for April - The Independent Characters Hobby Challenge is pretty addictive

There's also the Oath Thread right here in the same TG subforum of SA! Why not do your models for both? You can win great free stuff!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Those tanks are really awesome man. You did a great job, especially on the Vindicator. Something about the way you did the barrel just looks right.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

Tanks Tanks Tanks
These are some drat fine pieces of armor here. Your weathering is great and the scheme's sexy as hell.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Obviously not all the information is out there yet regarding the new Dogfight phase, but it seems... off. On the one hand, I like the notion of having your flyers in Reserves actually doing something (and the notion of shooting down an enemy aircraft and having it crash into your own ground troops is 40K as gently caress). On the other hand, it seems overly complicated between patterns and combat roles and various new stats for the flyers.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

krushgroove posted:

There's also the Oath Thread right here in the same TG subforum of SA! Why not do your models for both? You can win great free stuff!

That's a great idea - will do!

SRM posted:

These are some drat fine pieces of armor here. Your weathering is great and the scheme's sexy as hell.

Thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I seriously thought you guys were joking about the aircraft phase but this joke has gone on for far too long :ohdear:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

I seriously thought you guys were joking about the aircraft phase but this joke has gone on for far too long :ohdear:

Apparently each turn your flyers held in reserves can get into dogfights during the pre-movement dogfight phase, which is itself split into four sub-phases that determine attacker/defender and then let one player's jets shoot down the other's before they even see the table. Fun times!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

which is itself split into four sub-phases

:suicide:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

My thoughts exactly

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Good thing all this poo poo is gonna be optional.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
No one played with the optional rules in DFtS before and they aren't going to play with these rules either. I don't even know why they keep printing these useless supplements.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Yeast posted:

That's a great idea - will do!

We're just about to start a new 'season', which goes from May to April, nothing says you can't do models for both! But have a look at the rules and themes to familiarize yourself with them, I don't think it's much different than any other monthly hobby painting thing

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Apparently each turn your flyers held in reserves can get into dogfights during the pre-movement dogfight phase, which is itself split into four sub-phases that determine attacker/defender and then let one player's jets shoot down the other's before they even see the table. Fun times!

Jesus Christ. :ughh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Phyresis posted:

No one played with the optional rules in DFtS before and they aren't going to play with these rules either. I don't even know why they keep printing these useless supplements.
Because they can be fun if you want to play with them.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

SRM posted:

Because they can be fun if you want to play with them.

Some of them are OK but this one sounds dumb. Why even bother having models if they are adding rules where units not even on the table are fighting and killing each other

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Phyresis posted:

Some of them are OK but this one sounds dumb. Why even bother having models if they are adding rules where units not even on the table are fighting and killing each other

Well when you purchase a second table to put your $200 realm of battle: imperium skies 4'4' grid on and $80 each air imperialius floating terrain to play the dogfighting game on, I'm sure it will be really great.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Plopping models onto a table just to have them die before they get to do anything is not fun. Now you can lose units before you even get the chance to deploy them. Awesome.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Good thing all this poo poo is gonna be optional.

Let me tell you about this awesome thing called 8th edition coming our way!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phyresis posted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

"okay lets just play pretend air-battles over here" like, what's the point. Lets roll our dice at each other to see if our figures even make it onto the table!

Although if anything this is likely intended to sell even more flying models, not that the current meta doesn't push them pretty hard already.

Next they're going to say we have to stack two entirely separate play fields for tracking air combat like some kind of 4th dimensional chess.

General Olloth posted:

Well when you purchase a second table to put your $200 realm of battle: imperium skies 4'4' grid on and $80 each air imperialius floating terrain to play the dogfighting game on, I'm sure it will be really great.

Hah, great minds think alike.

Phyresis posted:

Plopping models onto a table just to have them die before they get to do anything is not fun. Now you can lose units before you even get the chance to deploy them. Awesome.

Agreed 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zaphod42 posted:

Next they're going to say we have to stack two entirely separate play fields for tracking air combat like some kind of 4th dimensional chess.
I know you're joking and I know it's impractical, but I've played games like this that were really fun. I played a Starship Troopers game at Historicon one year that had a martian surface board, and then underneath it was a bug next labyrinth for the Marines to go through. It was a really cool game but not something I'd want to do every time.

• Locked thread