Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CJacobs posted:

You have good internet, they have bad internet. They blame the game for their bad internet.

I have better internet than just about anyone in the western hemisphere. I still can't get summoned for Blues/Watchdogs. Every other form of multiplayer works fine, or as fine as it works for anyone. It's just hosed for the moment. The reports of it working are too endemic and there's no common thread. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is it normal to lose your souls if you die while invading

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

School Nickname posted:

Why not go all rounder? At SL95 it's conceivable that you'd have enough Faith, Int and with the darkmoon ring, enough slots to go with a longsword build with STR/DEX 30. That way you'd have the ability to call for lightning, magic or flame for your longsword at any time.

That sounds difficult to manage and I am relatively unintelligent

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
They gave the Lothric Sword the old Longsword moveset I see.

It is as amazing as ever I see.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nihilarian posted:

Yes, your souls will be in their world.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Namless King outfit or NOTHING.

pope hat, loincloth, master's chest/gloves, bigass weapon of choice. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nihilarian posted:

Your souls show up wherever you died when you were in their world, that's the penalty they added to invading because it was dumb and bad that there was literally none before.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blaziken386 posted:

Flame arc my favorite pyromancy. I used magic weapon in the farron keep area, and then when I got to the boss I learned it did piss-all (it added like 10 damage). Flame arc gives it an actually semi-decent buff, and looks cool as poo poo. Was this spell in DS1/2? Because if so, I never found it. Only ever used resins.
The only downside is I can't use the spell on my Farron Greatsword and imitate the 2nd phase of Abyss Watchers.

It wasn't in DS1, but it was in DS2. However it required the old witch's soul, which you only got from NG+ Lost Sinner. Which meant using an ascetic to fight her, but NG+ Lost Sinner is actually pretty hard because on top of her increased health and damage she will get two pyromancer companions that spawn during the fight. So getting that spell, especially at a low level, is tough.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

voltcatfish posted:

That sounds difficult to manage and I am relatively unintelligent

Start as a knight and aim for:

VIG/ATT/END/VIT/STR/DEX/INT/FTH/LCK
15/10/25/20/30/30/15/30/7

Prioritise INT and FTH to 10 for magic weapon and flame sword, then STR DEX and END. You won't get lightning sword until mid-game.

Then again I hosed this up so welp...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watching Squint's LP of Demon's Souls, and man I sorta preferred some of the sound effects in that game than some of the new fx we get here. The pause menu sounds are so meaty and foreboding, the high pitched whine when a phantom blocks a strike with their shield, the really loving loud whooshing noise bosses make when they die. So good.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I'm really disappointed with how From handled this game's release. There's way too many systems that just flat out don't work right now that worked perfectly well in previous installments. The overall package is still excellent, but the whole thing with poise is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I've been baiting red phantoms with the dried fingers and dodging until a bluebro comes in and it's great seeing them come steamrolling in since their summon seems to start them at a dead run in the best position to ambush the attackers.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What systems don't work? I hear folks complaining about Darkmoon things, but I've run into plenty of Bluecops, maxed out Mound Makers easily enough, the Fingers work fine...

Unrelated, but some wine-inspired theorizing on pyromancy: So now Pyromancy scales off INT/FTH where before it didn't need any stats at all. Since the theme of pyromancy is master/apprentice, I like to think that since the days of Salaman and Laurentius, the art of pyromancy has become more formalized and pretentious, thus resulting in an arbitrary faith/int scaling, to suggest that pyromancers have basically become spell-slinging hipsters, with their fire arts, putting on airs to make their art more complex than it actually is.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'd put down the wine. :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What systems don't work? I hear folks complaining about Darkmoon things, but I've run into plenty of Bluecops, maxed out Mound Makers easily enough, the Fingers work fine...

Something is up with Darkmoons/Sentinels and possibly the other auto-summon covenants, in that some players get summoned for them 5-30 seconds apart and other players even in the same areas and SL ranges can hang out for 8 hours and never get summoned despite the fact that other covenants (even other auto-summon covenants sometimes) work fine.

Could be a weird or broken queuing system, could be a connection thing on servers or with how the game is programmed, could be a bug or some obscure variable we're missing like Greirat being dead fucks it up or something inane like that. Nobody knows.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also poise being just sort of turned off, despite there being a lot of items which are supposed to interact with it and are now pointless(along with heavy armor in general)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you are not getting summoned by an auto-summon covenant you are out of range in character and or weapon reinforcement level. It's as simple as that. Nothing about your connection, your ISP, your country, your penis, your online posts. It's all about being out of range. Happy with the hits you get in your covenant of choice? Stay there.

My level 25 could have enough for Darkmoon rank 2 rewards in a day of play if I wanted it to, and yes I took my level 25 up to that point in the game for That covenant.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Umm, I'm seeing a lot of negative posts here about heavy armor and poise. You guys are forgetting the most important part of armor. Fashion. I don't give a drat poo poo about the poise if this thing makes me feel like the coolest motherfucker in the area.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

If you are not getting summoned by an auto-summon covenant you are out of range in character and or weapon reinforcement level. It's as simple as that. My level 25 could have enough for Darkmoon rank 2 rewards in a day of play if I wanted it to, and yes I took my level 25 up to that point in the game for That covenant.

This is not actually true, because I have done the exact same thing without a single counterinvasion over several hours of play. Perplexingly, the Watchdogs covenant works fine. For this game's netcode's definition of fine, anyway, which means that if I'm lucky, only one of the other players in the session will be sliding around in T-pose.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MrLonghair posted:

If you are not getting summoned by an auto-summon covenant you are out of range in character and or weapon reinforcement level. It's as simple as that. Nothing about your connection, your ISP, your country, your penis, your online posts. It's all about being out of range. Happy with the hits you get in your covenant of choice? Stay there.

My level 25 could have enough for Darkmoon rank 2 rewards in a day of play if I wanted it to, and yes I took my level 25 up to that point in the game for That covenant.

my new working theory is that it works fine for people with tiny wieners lol

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

my new working theory is that it works fine for people with tiny wieners lol

That would explain why I see blues coming in while invading my level 85s hitting end-game hosts who take their four friends and run to the safety of the first bonfire, but standing afk with the pulsating covenant badges on for an entire night gives me nothing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Goddamnit I accidentally killed the pilgrim at the church of Yorksha. I wish there was some history of saves in this game. Damnit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Something is up with Darkmoons/Sentinels and possibly the other auto-summon covenants, in that some players get summoned for them 5-30 seconds apart and other players even in the same areas and SL ranges can hang out for 8 hours and never get summoned despite the fact that other covenants (even other auto-summon covenants sometimes) work fine.

Could be a weird or broken queuing system, could be a connection thing on servers or with how the game is programmed, could be a bug or some obscure variable we're missing like Greirat being dead fucks it up or something inane like that. Nobody knows.

My bet is on this. Some people seem to float at the top of the queue, forever, and other people never get a turn for whatever reason. I have been summoned, like three times over the course of sixty+ hours, so I know it CAN happen but it almost never does for Sentinels/Darkmoon. I tested it with a friend by camping out with him at identical level and reinforcement in Lothric Castle deliberately provoking invasions over and over again with the Dried Finger with him in Way of the Blue and me in Darkmoon. Never once did I get summoned, and of the people getting summoned to protect him, he was getting the same people quite frequently. Not once did he not get a Blue Sentinel or Darkmoon summon, but it was frequently the same three or four people.

MrLonghair posted:

I assure you, I've tested it at pretty much every level range you can think of for hours on end, and every reinforcement range while playing other games on 3DS and listening for the telltale lapse of audio that indicates a summon. Nothing. Meanwhile, Aldrich Faithful works perfectly to the extent that I can barely get the Covenant symbol off between summons.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 26, 2016

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

School Nickname posted:

Yeah I use fire but I think it's a stamina problem on my part. Can't get enough hits in on time to kill them. I hosed up bad on my stat build. Only 25 endurance, plus I thought I needed 14 Faith to actually light the Firelink bonfire. :doh:

25 endurance is plenty, you're just getting to the point of souls games where you have to learn to not be greedy, and always keep stamina on reserve even if that means only getting in one hit.

Dazzling Addar posted:

the whole thing with poise is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

I don't really understand this sentiment. In practice it works exactly the same way as DS2 poise, ie. most builds get stunned when hit, and heavy builds use their hyperarmor for poise. The main change is that heavy armor doesn't get to shrug off small attacks in neutral stance, but that seems reasonable given heavy takes a much much lower stat investment and its kinda bad for gameplay anyway.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

StrangeAeon posted:

Decided to just banzai and run straight through. Grabbed both items and the covenant seal. Kiss my rear end, Outrider Beasts (they certainly tried).

Those guys aren't too terrible to deal with if you just pull one at a time, and use a weapon with bleed. They're one of the few enemies in the game that's week to bleed, and one combo with an uchi will eat half their health.

Making them weak to bleed is only appropriate, considering they're essentially bloodborne monsters. Also, they don't respawn, so if you only get one per go, it's ok. They do drop a really nice ring, so they're worth killing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What level should my sunbro shoot for to be able to coop at a nice range of endgame bosses?

VVV Some weapon moves give you hyperarmour, which basically means you can't be stunned while using that move.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 26, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

"hampig" posted:

I don't really understand this sentiment. In practice it works exactly the same way as DS2 poise, ie. most builds get stunned when hit, and heavy builds use their hyperarmor for poise. The main change is that heavy armor doesn't get to shrug off small attacks in neutral stance, but that seems reasonable given heavy takes a much much lower stat investment and its kinda bad for gameplay anyway.

What's this hyper armor I keep hearing about?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

hampig posted:

I don't really understand this sentiment. In practice it works exactly the same way as DS2 poise, ie. most builds can't take any hits, and heavy builds use their hyperarmor for poise. The main change is that heavy armor doesn't get to shrug off small attacks in neutral stance, but that seems reasonable given heavy takes a much much lower stat investment and its kinda bad for gameplay anyway.

I think that it's perfectly reasonable to change something like this for balance reasons... but if you're going to do it, you also need to remove or repurpose the multitude of items that explicitly say "gives you more poise". Not doing that is just really sloppy and misleading.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

My bet is on this. Some people seem to float at the top of the queue, forever, and other people never get a turn for whatever reason.

Given the tendency of these games to hide information from the player, that also makes me wonder if this is intentional and the result of some kind of behavior or system that we don't know about, like how many items you've turned in to those covenants, how many you've turned in to other covenants, etc. Maybe the game is actually tracking sin. :tinfoil:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I was around SL 100 when I took on Nameless King and I was getting a summon five seconds after putting the sign down.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

il serpente cosmico posted:

What's this hyper armor I keep hearing about?

Attacks from some weapons (usually ultra weapons) will ignore stuns at a certain point in their animation. In DS2, poise from armor was doubled on such sttacks.

Dazzling Addar posted:

I think that it's perfectly reasonable to change something like this for balance reasons... but if you're going to do it, you also need to remove or repurpose the multitude of items that explicitly say "gives you more poise". Not doing that is just really sloppy and misleading.

Fair enough. I can understand why people don't want to give up their precious katana/longsword spam for poise weapon arts or static buffs. They are kinda boring, even if it's decently effective for trading. But that's my main problem with DS1 poise I guess, it encourages you to just completely ignore timing and positioning. I wonder if people would be less bothered if estocs/straight swords weren't such a plague right now. Or even better, if maces were a bit scarier people might start looking at perseverance as a weapon art they'd really like to have.

Or maybe it'll change in the upcoming patch and we'll barely remember it when the DLC hits.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 26, 2016

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does anyone know the REAL ACTUAL rules of this stupid mutliplayer co-op password play. Specifically password co-op not public play.

Every "guide" and whatnot says that with passworded play, the "restrictions" ie. level requirements, gear resctrictions etc. are waived and you can play with whoever you want as long as they have the password.

We have been running into strange issues where it seems like it DOES matter what level you are, or that something else is hindering it.

I did figure out one thing, you can (when it decides to work) join a player more than 10 levels apart if they summon YOU, as it will decrease your stats downward, but you can't do it the opposite way. You can't be more than ten levels lower and be summoned by someone more than 10 levels higher.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm usually not one for caring about the unspoken rules/bushido bullshit that goes on in Dark Souls games, but people that summon red signs for duels and then use estus can gently caress right off. Isn't the host advantage enough? Do you really need double the healing items too? It's just such a loving slog to kill someone that flasks at every sign of damage.

*note, this complaint only applies to red sign duels, I don't have the same complaint about invasions.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

People who attack my mound maker self when I'm just toastin and being nice are jerks

shout outs to the guys who just walked past me though, even though they were later murdered by swamp monsters

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People online sometimes not having animations is seriously stupid. I wonder if it will ever be fixed or its just something we have to live with now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rough Lobster posted:

I was around SL 100 when I took on Nameless King and I was getting a summon five seconds after putting the sign down.

I was getting concerned I would have to make another character or farm until I went hollow IRL for completion (Farron's loving Wolves notwithstanding), this is good news. :3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I love how delusional this game's community is, I'm reading reddit because I like to read people getting mad about souls games and there's a huge shitstorm about how poise "doesn't work" but skills, like stomp, which say they increase your pose give you "hyper armor" for certain attacks and animation frames. Yet these people refuse to accept that poise might affect hyper armor instead of just being the dark souls standard "tank through every hit because you can't dodge" like it was in the first game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

voltcatfish posted:

People who attack my mound maker self when I'm just toastin and being nice are jerks

agreedo; im supposed to be the madman here, what kind of a lunatic summons people and then ganks them midwave

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

walk into crucifixion woods, summon 2 phantoms, put way of the blue on, and pop a dried finger and wait for the fireworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I love how delusional this game's community is, I'm reading reddit because I like to read people getting mad about souls games and there's a huge shitstorm about how poise "doesn't work" but skills, like stomp, which say they increase your pose give you "hyper armor" for certain attacks and animation frames. Yet these people refuse to accept that poise might affect hyper armor instead of just being the dark souls standard "tank through every hit because you can't dodge" like it was in the first game.

If poise does effect hyper armor it's so slight that nobody has put forward any concrete evidence that it actually does.