Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

il serpente cosmico posted:

What's this hyper armor I keep hearing about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9o0fDUlyw

Skip to 1:00 for an example, I don't know hot to time stamp anymore.
While doing a move you are 100% unable to be knocked out of it, no matter what. (Backstabs and Sacred Flame do not apply)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

"Pure" magic is always dumb as hell. Just use a real weapon and enchant it with flame arc. You can still throw plenty of fireballs.

Otherwise have fun trying to get through Smoldering Lake.

Just go to Wolnir's room first and you can have dark pyromancies by then, no big deal. They do Dark damage.

Oh wait, you need the other trainer too. Hmm.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For gently caress's sake, how is that Aldrich Faithful covenant is non-stop action, and yet both Blue Sentinels and Blades of the Darkmoon are ghost towns? It irritates me that Fromsoft STILL sucks at covenants this badly.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TaurusOxford posted:

For gently caress's sake, how is that Aldrich Faithful covenant is non-stop action, and yet both Blue Sentinels and Blades of the Darkmoon are ghost towns? It irritates me that Fromsoft STILL sucks at covenants this badly.

Bring back

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Gorp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9o0fDUlyw

Skip to 1:00 for an example, I don't know hot to time stamp anymore.
While doing a move you are 100% unable to be knocked out of it, no matter what. (Backstabs and Sacred Flame do not apply)

You totally can, the same move and frames that Aldrich couldn't do poo poo to me, I was knocked flat on my rear end by Ocieros and the Ancient Wyrm. So it's not 100%, but it definitely beefs you up.

WrightOfWay posted:

If poise does effect hyper armor it's so slight that nobody has put forward any concrete evidence that it actually does.

Here's a video that has some suggestion of it. Some people also think it affects things like weapon swings, and not just heavy weapons too. Which would basically make Poise more like ADP.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

No screw that. Bring back the rat covenant. That is still the best covenant for being a giant prick to people.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

this

not emptyquote, I am posting fashion souls:

Karla's Hat and Gloves, Fire Keeper Robe, Leggings of Thorns

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

They should have just made it so any blueman can invade people in the Aldrich covenant. Or better yet, just left the Blue Eye Orb in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd say I don't miss it but I got over 200 things from there so uh

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CRAYON posted:

They should have just made it so any blueman can invade people in the Aldrich covenant. Or better yet, just left the Blue Eye Orb in the game.

Hell, there are two different identical bluecop covenants. Give Darkmoons blue eye invasions and Sentinels the ability to police more effectively.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Captain Oblivious posted:

Never once did I get summoned, and of the people getting summoned to protect him, he was getting the same people quite frequently.

It could be that the first person to respond to the signal requesting a helper gets in and that's that. Which means that CJacobs is technically right about the whole bad Internet thing, in a way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Miyazaki interview http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/2/130902.html
Translation from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gg3jg/april_23rd_hidetaka_miyazaki_interview_in_taiwan/

+ Unkindled are simply Undead that tried to link the Fire but hosed up the quest and burnt to ash instead (doesn't seem to have any connection to DS2, SOTFS or otherwise)
+ Boss difficulty was lowered for casuls
+ Third DLC is planned, release dates for the first two are Fall 2016, early 2017
+ He is open to letting subordinates do another sequel in 5 years, but for him DS3 is over and "development of a new IP has already begun"
+ No Demon's Souls remaster or sequel
+ He will be a game director for at least another 5 years - "Because BANDAI NAMCO and SIE and our parent company Kadokawa are very good to us, I can just focus on making games and let other people handle president affairs. I really appreciate everyone's forgiveness for letting me do this."
+ "I think fundamentally game is built on 'action'. For example, pressing a button on the controller call be called an 'action', but if there's a purpose for this action of pressing buttons, then it's called a 'game'. An action without an purpose can only be called 'work', action with purpose brings 'possibilities'. I think games should let players discover possibilities and feel a sense of accomplishment. This kind of experience can only be achieved with games. That is why I'm so enthralled by making games and often lose myself in it." :swoon:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bookkeeper posted:

fashion souls:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hopefully dark souls 4 in 5 years fixes the problems 3 had

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
One of those DLCs better let you get a permanent wax head. It's a shame there wasn't one in the archives.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

voltcatfish posted:

hopefully dark souls 4 in 5 years fixes the problems 3 had

Sorry, I did not mean to imply there would be a sequel in 5 years. He just meant that if another FROM dev came to him in 5 years (as an example) and said "I want to do a Souls sequel" he would be open to that, but right now he seems interested in new IPs instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, so why does the King of Storm's "hit the whole loving world" breath attacks sometimes, but not all the time, hit twice, killing me before I can recover from the first hit?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

turtlecrunch posted:

Sorry, I did not mean to imply there would be a sequel in 5 years. He just meant that if another FROM dev came to him in 5 years (as an example) and said "I want to do a Souls sequel" he would be open to that, but right now he seems interested in new IPs instead.

I kinda want a Bloodborne sequel but the story doesn't really need one. Any questions left unanswered are better that way. Just give me a wider weapon selection and more viable tools please

Kinda interested to see what comes from From next, and if anyone dares try to create a Souls-like to fill the void

edit - Im at work so no picture, but my current Fashion Souls gimmick is a Flame Knight: Flame Witch Helm, Firelink Armor, Leggings, and Gauntlets, Pyromancy Flame, and Lorian's Greatsword.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 26, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Ni-Oh is the next Souls game, Diablo + Souls + feudal Japan which has gotten Souls'd with monsters and spirits and ghosts and darkness. Go try her out.

TaurusOxford posted:

Aldrich invasion range is user -10/+40. My level 25 gets a lot of super-difficult action there, but get past 80 and activity falls terribly hard. People tend to finish the game 70-90 and there's no invading those who have already killed the boss.

Still haven't played more than the network test of DS2 but I know these covenants are disappointments. This is one step above Bloodborne.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

turtlecrunch posted:

+ Unkindled are simply Undead that tried to link the Fire but hosed up the quest and burnt to ash instead (doesn't seem to have any connection to DS2, SOTFS or otherwise)

so the DS3 protagonist is basically a DS1 protagonist who already hosed up good once?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

So heres a question, who the gently caress are the angels and why have they decided to show up after thousands of years of poo poo being lovely. The winged knights used angel power to vaporize lothric knights inside their armor, so clearly they're powerful. Hope theres a DLC in that somewhere

One of the statues by the Grand Archives bonfire will clue you in. After you see it, the poo poo-eating grin on the Winged Knight helm will make more sense.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

homeless poster posted:

so the DS3 protagonist is basically a DS1 protagonist who already hosed up good once?

Yeah this little lore bit is great. Kinda makes me wanna bring back a couple of my characters from for rp reasons.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Is there any way to get the Estus shard in the Cathedral of the Deep without killing the hollows praying to it? I know it's not completionist but I do try not to kill things that aren't attacking me. Though I'm guessing there's no alternative in this case and they're trying to make you choose between convenience and morality.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
just two best bros hanging out, throwin' back dregs and whistlin' at ladies

sup mama?!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Ni-Oh is the next Souls game, Diablo + Souls + feudal Japan which has gotten Souls'd with monsters and spirits and ghosts and darkness. Go try her out.

This Diablo comment is extremely worrying in this framework. How is it Diablo-esque?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gyre posted:

Is there any way to get the Estus shard in the Cathedral of the Deep without killing the hollows praying to it? I know it's not completionist but I do try not to kill things that aren't attacking me. Though I'm guessing there's no alternative in this case and they're trying to make you choose between convenience and morality.

what do they do if you kick them

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Gyre posted:

Kick one out of the way.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

turtlecrunch posted:

Oh come on :sigh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

homeless poster posted:

Yeah it's like someone who tried to light the First Flame but they never got the Lord Soul from Bed of Chaos.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Miyazaki is working on Salt and Sanctuary 2

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

turtlecrunch posted:

Miyazaki interview http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/2/130902.html
Translation from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gg3jg/april_23rd_hidetaka_miyazaki_interview_in_taiwan/

+ Boss difficulty was lowered for casuls
+ Third DLC is planned, release dates for the first two are Fall 2016, early 2017
+ He is open to letting subordinates do another sequel in 5 years, but for him DS3 is over and "development of a new IP has already begun"
+ He will be a game director for at least another 5 years - "Because BANDAI NAMCO and SIE and our parent company Kadokawa are very good to us, I can just focus on making games and let other people handle president affairs. I really appreciate everyone's forgiveness for letting me do this."
+ "I think fundamentally game is built on 'action'. For example, pressing a button on the controller call be called an 'action', but if there's a purpose for this action of pressing buttons, then it's called a 'game'. An action without an purpose can only be called 'work', action with purpose brings 'possibilities'. I think games should let players discover possibilities and feel a sense of accomplishment. This kind of experience can only be achieved with games. That is why I'm so enthralled by making games and often lose myself in it." :swoon:
"I love making maps! I will keep making maps bigger and bigger if no one stops me."
:D

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dark souls 4 open world confirmed, mounted combat incoming

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah it's like someone who tried to light the First Flame but they never got the Lord Soul from Bed of Chaos.

can't hold that against them

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TheHoosier posted:

Oh come on :sigh:

otoh this being an explicit point means the possibility of a Dark Souls HD remaster is on the table

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Give me my scifi space-age souls game.
Let it escalate to its logical conclusion.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Gorp posted:

Give me my scifi space-age souls game.
Let it escalate to its logical conclusion.

let me link the fire ... in SPPAACCCEEE

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
What the gently caress is the secret to the jailer assholes in Irithyll dungeon? I can't roll out of the brands. It does seem like line of sight breaks their HP debuff but I'm pretty stumped.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wanna see a Demon's Souls rerelease (not remaster or sequel) but with the series' popularity it's gained since then. People bringing new meta into old games.

Wanna see that Old Monk meta

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

No Demon's Souls remaster is soul-crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah.

btw I knew the carthus bloodring was great but I didn't know it was "literally more than halve your vulnerable roll frames" great lmao

Yeah, and because the extra i-frames are at the end, you can roll in directions that would usually get you killed without taking any damage. 5 extra i-frames is a lot.