Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah :(. I once spent about 8 days obsessively reediting a (in retrospect awful, but not because it was bad) play for an English 2 class. B+ :saddowns:.

Then, I totally BS'd a short story for that same class the day it was due, like an hour before class. A+.

Then I became a STEM major and could never BS anything ever again because motherfuckers will read your citations.

5 more weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

A White Guy posted:

Yeah :(. I once spent about 8 days obsessively reediting a (in retrospect awful, but not because it was bad) play for an English 2 class. B+ :saddowns:.

Then, I totally BS'd a short story for that same class the day it was due, like an hour before class. A+.

Then I became a STEM major and could never BS anything ever again because motherfuckers will read your citations.

5 more weeks

Citations will be the death of me one day. Making reference lists are just as loving bad. I got pulled up on one essay for "not using Harvard Referencing" which was only dropped when I showed them how it exactly matched the format that the uni themselves gave us.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aristophanes posted:

I have a 2,000 word essay due Friday. The only time I really have this week to do it is right now. I just finished a 3,000 word essay for another paper a few days ago, and I have a 1,000 word response for yet another paper due tomorrow, which I've thankfully already completed.

I'm currently at 79 words and it's worth 40% of my grade for this course. My motivation is through the floor. gently caress.

I am feeling the motivation drain on one of my papers as well, but this one required reading 300 pages of government documents as a giant pile of primary sources. After weeks of picking through them I am finally ready to start writing and I just can't get moving.

At least I have ten days.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Correcting 300 undergrad programming exams is horrific, gently caress my life.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EmmyOk posted:

Correcting 300 undergrad programming exams is horrific, gently caress my life.

im so sorry

im taking a numerical modeling methods class and some of the poo poo my classmates post up asking "what 1 little thing am i missing" makes me shudder, i cant imagine what an actual programming course is like for that.

I guess on the thread topic: I'm also taking thermodynamics, and just because that course wasn't hard enough already, the first professor got fired over spring break and the new one has a completely different teaching style and things he looks for on exams. he's basically having to cram his entire curriculum into half a semester. the outgoing professor claimed before the break that he was being fired, the department head claims he knew nothing until he found out the teacher was making these claims, none of us know what's going on and the class average is like a 40 or something.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Enourmo posted:

I guess on the thread topic: I'm also taking thermodynamics, and just because that course wasn't hard enough already, the first professor got fired over spring break and the new one has a completely different teaching style and things he looks for on exams. he's basically having to cram his entire curriculum into half a semester. the outgoing professor claimed before the break that he was being fired, the department head claims he knew nothing until he found out the teacher was making these claims, none of us know what's going on and the class average is like a 40 or something.

I've never heard of a professor being fired halfway through the semester like that. What did he gently caress up so bad that they had to get rid of him so fast?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Florida Betty posted:

I've never heard of a professor being fired halfway through the semester like that. What did he gently caress up so bad that they had to get rid of him so fast?

something something visa sponsorship was the most we could glean from his pre-firing "explanation", like i said we're being completely stonewalled when why try and figure out what happened. all i know is he was garbage at conveying information, the one test was written in a completely different way from any of his in-class problems or lecture notes. I'd like the new professor if we weren't getting the cliffnotes version of a pretty loving important course.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Enourmo posted:

im so sorry

im taking a numerical modeling methods class and some of the poo poo my classmates post up asking "what 1 little thing am i missing" makes me shudder, i cant imagine what an actual programming course is like for that.

When I have to do practical labs with them that sums up my life.

"Can you help I think I have a bracket in the wrong place!"

"Ok lemme just take a loo-"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If there is one good thing about the computer science department here trying to furiously weed out everyone regardless of what class it is, it's that after the first year a lot of people are actually pretty good group project partners.

But the first semester intro class... :gonk:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holy gently caress, i have been working on the take home exam for thermo since friday night, and i'm not the slightest bit closer to a solution (it's due tomorrow yay!)

when they say the propane tank in this problem is "99% filled with propane", do they mean 99% liquid/1% pure gas (which with the given mass ratio works out to a gas 5x denser than the liquid :pseudo:)? Or does it refer to some air impurity that i'm supposed to account for? No one knows!

It asks for the mass of air in the tank after the pressure is vented and temp/pressure allowed to come to equilibrium. Do I go with my gut and say the air all gets pushed out by the gas pressure, or am I meant to take into account gaseous diffusion while the tank warms back up? No one knows!

80% of the class have asked the TAs or professor to try and clarify, and we've been completely stonewalled. I guess we all get to just pick an interpretation and hope it's the right one!

:bang:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Enourmo posted:

Holy gently caress, i have been working on the take home exam for thermo since friday night, and i'm not the slightest bit closer to a solution (it's due tomorrow yay!)

when they say the propane tank in this problem is "99% filled with propane", do they mean 99% liquid/1% pure gas (which with the given mass ratio works out to a gas 5x denser than the liquid :pseudo:)? Or does it refer to some air impurity that i'm supposed to account for? No one knows!

It asks for the mass of air in the tank after the pressure is vented and temp/pressure allowed to come to equilibrium. Do I go with my gut and say the air all gets pushed out by the gas pressure, or am I meant to take into account gaseous diffusion while the tank warms back up? No one knows!

80% of the class have asked the TAs or professor to try and clarify, and we've been completely stonewalled. I guess we all get to just pick an interpretation and hope it's the right one!

:bang:

Does this look familiar?

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...nk-wei-q7306297

I would read that as 99 % liquid propane and 1 % gas with x perhaps giving the air/propane ratio. In that problem x should be defined somehow.

The second part I'd read as how much of the air that's in the tank now survives venting the prop. Essentially, convert all liquid prop. to gas at 1 atm, and expand the gas in the tank to 1 atm too (all isothermal -- simple!). You'll get an air volume fraction from this. Take a tank volume worth of this, and convert the volume of air back to mass.

If that link is an indication then you probably don't have enough information to do anything with diffusion.

As an instructor, coming up with fresh problems is the biggest drag. I certainly recycle and plagiarize as much as i can. There is a good chance that your prof is working on the solution himself right now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Having seen behind the curtain a little the few lecturers I worked with who made had an ambiguous question marked it based on which interpretation people had of the question.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hey santa baby posted:

Does this look familiar?

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...nk-wei-q7306297

I would read that as 99 % liquid propane and 1 % gas with x perhaps giving the air/propane ratio. In that problem x should be defined somehow.

The second part I'd read as how much of the air that's in the tank now survives venting the prop. Essentially, convert all liquid prop. to gas at 1 atm, and expand the gas in the tank to 1 atm too (all isothermal -- simple!). You'll get an air volume fraction from this. Take a tank volume worth of this, and convert the volume of air back to mass.

If that link is an indication then you probably don't have enough information to do anything with diffusion.

As an instructor, coming up with fresh problems is the biggest drag. I certainly recycle and plagiarize as much as i can. There is a good chance that your prof is working on the solution himself right now.

Man it sure is that problem. And yeah what you see there is what i got. All through the course X has been used for, in liquid/vapor mixtures, the ratio of vapor mass to total mass of the mixture; I'd really hope it isn't suddenly meant to represent something else out of the blue.

Guess I'll go with my interpretation, starting from a tank full of air, then propane added until it's 99% of the mass, then vented out. Cause if we're meant to assume pure propane, A) i wouldn't begin to know what the 99% refers to, and B) part G there would be a trick question, which I think would be too nice for this professor.

man this course is frustrating, and I can't tell how much is by design and how much is a byproduct of the compressed semester (see a few posts up).

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
What's the nicest way to shutdown a project partner who wants to add animation and sounds to our PowerPoint? I tried to say that it would be distracting, but they say to just have them turn the sound down, which is baffling.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've only ever failed one class in my life: Photoshop. Why? Because the dickhead professor decided that if you missed two classes, you automatically flunked. Had to scramble and take an acting class to graduate with a fine arts credit. In retrospect, both failing and the acting class were overall a great learning experience.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Gann Jerrod posted:

What's the nicest way to shutdown a project partner who wants to add animation and sounds to our PowerPoint? I tried to say that it would be distracting, but they say to just have them turn the sound down, which is baffling.

I would say it's unprofessional and designed to keep children entertained.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

baquerd posted:

if you missed two classes, you automatically flunked.

:wtc:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I would say it's unprofessional and designed to keep children entertained.

Way back in 2003 I got stuck with a group member who insisted on adding generic clip art to a group paper.

We let her put them in, and told her we would take care of submitting the paper. As soon as she left we stripped all of that crap out.

Sorry you can't do that with a presentation, but based on my professional experience, your partner has a bright future in government management. I've seen so many presentations marred by that crap, and they keep doing it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hope it was a class that met once a week; that at least you could justify a "miss it twice and you're out" policy since two classes would be a significant portion of the class.

Registering for classes today and I got one of my classes kicked back. Turns out that a class my major requires in another department has two different classes for people in their major and people from other majors. Except rather than do something logical like make it a separate course or putting details about this in the course description, they changed the requirements for some sections of the course. There's no way to know if you've got the correct class until you've set your schedule and tried to register.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I hope it was a class that met once a week; that at least you could justify a "miss it twice and you're out" policy since two classes would be a significant portion of the class.

I had a class like this. I'm probably a significant minority but I think it was good for me- the "Come to class or fail" policy kept me focused and working compared to courses where only the discussion sections took attendance.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Enourmo posted:

none of us know what's going on and the class average is like a 40 or something.
Sounds about right for a thermo class.

Currently not writing a 12 page paper and not studying for 2 electrical engineering finals :shepface:. A couple more days....

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

TheMadMilkman posted:

Way back in 2003 I got stuck with a group member who insisted on adding generic clip art to a group paper.

We let her put them in, and told her we would take care of submitting the paper. As soon as she left we stripped all of that crap out.

Sorry you can't do that with a presentation, but based on my professional experience, your partner has a bright future in government management. I've seen so many presentations marred by that crap, and they keep doing it.

Strangely, at my uni the best professors use the most clip art. To be fair, this is because my uni wants to avoid having students buy expensive text books so professors are encouraged to put all the exam info in their slides. Most professors just dump it all in there with no continuity or context, resulting in slides that are pretty much useless as an illustration for lectures and a nightmare to study from.

A little woe-is-me:
I yearn for a sweet sweet release back into the working world. Just let me do a job I know how to do every day until I get bored and creative. I'm a linguist trying to do an advanced masters in AI with no math or computer science experience beyond doing a chi square test in R once. I'm so tired of learning at full capacity just to reach garbage-mediocre level. My grades are poo poo and I feel dumb, but then again I have to teach myself basics like linear algebra and what that big sigma thing does before I can even attempt any assignment, so passing at all is a pretty good job god drat it. :mad:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I am jealous as hell that your school is against textbooks. One of my classes this semester had their $170 book back ordered for almost a month and we were still expected to buy it so we could read one chapter and do a class presentation on it. That way none of us would have to read the whole book! Isn't that awesome? Such a brilliant plan!

I didn't buy the book or get involved in a presentation. This was that loving class where we had to do 4 or 5 group presentation projects (I honestly forget how many at this point and don't care enough to go check) and I was forced to do everything alone while given the same workload intended for groups of 4.

I get to write my final for that class in a few hours. Considering I've gotten A's on every other essay I wrote for it for some hosed up bizarre reason because I didn't even bother doing them correctly, it should be a breeze.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's a uniquely American thing I think because we never had to buy a single book at all during our undergrad science degree.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Picnic Princess posted:

I am jealous as hell that your school is against textbooks. One of my classes this semester had their $170 book back ordered for almost a month and we were still expected to buy it so we could read one chapter and do a class presentation on it. That way none of us would have to read the whole book! Isn't that awesome? Such a brilliant plan!

I didn't buy the book or get involved in a presentation. This was that loving class where we had to do 4 or 5 group presentation projects (I honestly forget how many at this point and don't care enough to go check) and I was forced to do everything alone while given the same workload intended for groups of 4.

I get to write my final for that class in a few hours. Considering I've gotten A's on every other essay I wrote for it for some hosed up bizarre reason because I didn't even bother doing them correctly, it should be a breeze.

It's a kind of unwritten policy, I have no clue whether it's a conscious decision or just the general academic culture. It's very obvious that professors use the lecture slides to share textbook information that they're not legally allowed to distribute free copies of at least. Usually they just point to whatever book or article they are referring to, how you get your hands on it or whether you even read it is your own business. If you don't need it that's fine, but there's only one exam period per semester so you better have your poo poo together.

Why don't people just copy the chapter from whatever chump bought the book in advance? We have a lively little black market pdf/media sharing and homework help facebook group just for that.

E: Classes where they try to replace actual teaching/reading with group presentations are the worst. In my undergrad Early Modern English class a classmate taught us about you/thou variation for 30 minutes, all the while pronouncing "ye" and "thee" as "yay" and "thay". He used rhyming data to back up his arguments, somehow not noticing that they all seemed to NOT rhyme with words ending in -ee. Stunning scholarship!

PiratePing has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Apr 25, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I had to write my final on the essay I wrote wrong in purpose. Oh well! I got an A on that one and I think I did a good job of BSing my way through this one too. This semester has just been something else.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

PiratePing posted:

E: Classes where they try to replace actual teaching/reading with group presentations are the worst. In my undergrad Early Modern English class a classmate taught us about you/thou variation for 30 minutes, all the while pronouncing "ye" and "thee" as "yay" and "thay". He used rhyming data to back up his arguments, somehow not noticing that they all seemed to NOT rhyme with words ending in -ee. Stunning scholarship!

Well, at least that would be completely correct for Old English.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Probably something to do with the great vowel shift? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

Seems consistent with the chart, I think. I'm no expert.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

One of my professors is e-mailing chapters of books that we have quizzes on and while it's kind of nice, it sure does suck that I (meaning the VA) rented the book!

Anyways, paper due, gently caress writing it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Grem posted:

Anyways, paper due, gently caress writing it.

Anthem of my semester. I am going to off the cuff a 2.5 minute speech tomorrow. Why? Because it's barely worth anything in the class, its my last semester, and my apathy is overwhelming. Thankfully, only one more 12 page paper due.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When we are less than three weeks from graduation and exhausted from actually relevant classes, this 21 page group paper & presentation for an unimportant class that I don't need to graduate is pretty much the biggest demonstration of apathy I have ever seen in three people, and we have no regrets

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Professor posts an assignment and says, "I have no way of telling what you did in the software, so your final grade will be only what you post in the discussion forums."

RNG has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Apr 26, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ten overdue lab reports, plus two more for labs I missed, due in two and a half weeks, and a 1000-word essay due a week from Thursday.

Luckily the lab reports are only about 3 pages long, but drat if it isn't a fucker sitting my rear end in front of the computer to type them. Also they're 50% of the my total grade and I need this class. :smithicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thermo final in 4 hours and i havent slept but i've got a 4 pack of monster

wish me luck

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Enourmo posted:

wish me luck

Good luck! You may or may not need it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Enourmo posted:

wish me luck

I had to do that for my programming semantics exam and I thought my heart was bleeding but just ignore that and power throught!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I had to do that for my programming semantics exam and I thought my heart was bleeding but just ignore that and power throught!

Well, that is what hearts tend to do :v:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Verus posted:

Well, at least that would be completely correct for Old English.

Not even remotely close for an Early Modern course that due to cutbacks was also a Shakespeare and Corpus Linguistics course.

Shall I compare thay to a summer's day?
[...]
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thay.

I'm in the end stages of my internship. My main supervisor (who I've seen twice) thinks my methods are hella stupid. These methods are the methods of my second supervisor, who I've been working for/with daily the past few months. I'm running out of loquacious paraphrases for "I did it because it made sense but mostly because it was my job". My internship report counts as my master's thesis :ohdear:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got an A- in the class where I did only half the assignments and wrote that essay wrong on purpose. I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

im so sorry

That's OK, I failed Thermo 1 the first time and now am in the HVAC industry doing just fine.

• Locked thread