Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Zaodai posted:

What about the Jenner IICs? Presumably they'd be alright if the IS Jenners are.

True I forgot about them. Oddly we didn't see a lot of IIC stuff over the weekend games. Small sample size because it was mostly Davion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you're Liao how are you even fighting people with Clantech anyway? Isn't it faction locked?

I remember my Jenners because if I'm in the mood to play a light (which I suck at), they're one of my go tos. Always fun to run around and SRM the poo poo out of people in the back.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I like 4 tanky meds vs clans and 3 meds 1 light or 2 meds 2 lights depending on pilot preference versus IS. Also, vs IS I think carrying a few UAVs when the team is light heavy can be useful at the end of the match since some DAVS have developed a tactic of hiding near the DS until the last few seconds and running in.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Super 3 posted:

I still feel like throwing in an Oxide or two is win in just about any situation. Having two tanky mediums to face hug the enemy then the Oxidies harvest butt meat all day.

Playing against clans is interesting as they're still for the most part dumb and load up with Streak Crows. You can generally leg them before they kill anyone since the streaks are all going to be hitting your CT. I feel like the only viable clan options are Stormcrows and Arctic cheaters at this point. Everything else gets stomped on hard by IS quirks.

Oxide is a real solid choice and probably the best light for this gamemode if you're going to brawl. If you're on offense and just wanna cap then four Pirates' Banes should be basically invincible

If we were gonna do this as clans, I think the 12 SPL Stormcrows would be the way to go, although the range is a problem

Zaodai posted:

Missile JennerIIC is p. good but it'll lose to an Oxide

TeeMerk posted:

I like 4 tanky meds vs clans and 3 meds 1 light or 2 meds 2 lights depending on pilot preference versus IS. Also, vs IS I think carrying a few UAVs when the team is light heavy can be useful at the end of the match since some DAVS have developed a tactic of hiding near the DS until the last few seconds and running in.

typical Davion

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Super 3 posted:

I still feel like throwing in an Oxide or two is win in just about any situation. Having two tanky mediums to face hug the enemy then the Oxidies harvest butt meat all day.

Playing against clans is interesting as they're still for the most part dumb and load up with Streak Crows. You can generally leg them before they kill anyone since the streaks are all going to be hitting your CT. I feel like the only viable clan options are Stormcrows and Arctic cheaters at this point. Everything else gets stomped on hard by IS quirks.

I don't think it's worth bringing any lights when up against clans.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Stringbean posted:

Which clan heavy should I buy. I have all the good ones, which leaves me looking at...

Summoner
Mad Dog
Orion IIC

Which can make a better gimmick build to putz around in?

MDDs can make splatdogs or spam LRM5 builds which are fun, summoner is kinda tanky and agile with jjs and can poptart pretty well. Orion IIC I have no idea, they dont have any quirks but look like they can take the most meta loadouts of the 3.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

The Jenner IIC is chubbier than the Oxide, and has none of the structure quirks, so is much easier to kill. The Oxide also has missile cooldown bonuses that give it rates of fire that the Jenner IIC cannot match.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Decided against new Heavies, bought a Shadow Cat and a Crab-27B

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Stringbean posted:

Decided against new Heavies, bought a Shadow Cat and a Crab-27B

Both good choices IMO. LPL builds are fun on both of those.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Both good choices IMO. LPL builds are fun on both of those.

What sucks with the Shadowcat, was I had owned it before but forgot to drop the exp to basic it completely. So now I'm saving money for a third chassis :(

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Stringbean posted:

What sucks with the Shadowcat, was I had owned it before but forgot to drop the exp to basic it completely. So now I'm saving money for a third chassis :(

Ah that sucks. I did that with a couple different mechs back in the day. God I wasted so many cbills.

Speaking of cbills, anybody got a good build for a Griffin 2N for Scout Mode?

Looks like pretty standard SRM/ML combo, but I'm trying to figure out what the optimal engine to run in that thing is.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

xl275, 280, or 300 with, SRM4A,SRM6, ECM depending on taste.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I saw you pop in chronojam.

come to butthead

e: in a few hours of 4v4 i made like 4 mil cbills.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 26, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
lmao is this poo poo real

we've been loyal kurita for like a year and a half

how the gently caress is this company making money

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Because you people are stupid enough to keep giving it to them?

Props to my boy reminding me this thread still exists and you guys are still keeping PGI afloat with your poor life decisions :homebrew:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

WebDO posted:

Because you people are stupid enough to keep giving it to them?

Props to my boy reminding me this thread still exists and you guys are still keeping PGI afloat with your poor life decisions :homebrew:

Hey! They've made very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slight improvements to the game that make it more enjoyable! Also playing with goons and booze helps because we don't talk about MWO much....

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

iirc each player has to play ten games before they start getting loyalty points or rewards when they finally pick a faction to be loyal to. I think they were trying to combat the faction surfing that we were doing.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm back. Tell me the important things again.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Anita Dickinme posted:

IS brawling good, long range Clan good. 4 v 4 occasionally good. Oxide OP. Game is okay, not great, just get drunk and play with goons. The game is about where it's been lately. Good, not great, fun with other people who aren't playing seriously and don't care about losing.

So the Centurion AH is surprisingly good against clans. It overheats too fast for the most part, but holy poo poo you will lay down some hurt. Which Cent build is the Hobo with a Shotgun? I've always liked LB X cannons, even if they are garbage, but I would like to run something that can use LBX...effectively?

Edit: Man, my phone hates typing lately.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 26, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I brought mine out earlier. Its a beast in scouting, but kinda slow. I wouldn't go below a 250 in it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't bring a Centurion to begin with, when almost every other medium is better than it.

:laugh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

4v4 is good as hell and you should bring your locust for shenanigans

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheParadigm posted:

xl275, 280, or 300 with, SRM4A,SRM6, ECM depending on taste.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if people were still running XLs in them or not. Time to screw around in mechlab!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if people were still running XLs in them or not. Time to screw around in mechlab!

Here's what I use for my -2N in scouting:

GRF-2N

You will rarely if ever use up all that ammo, the STD helps with survivability, and the flamers are great for heatcapping stormcrows

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

So the Centurion AH is surprisingly good against clans. It overheats too fast for the most part, but holy poo poo you will lay down some hurt. Which Cent build is the Hobo with a Shotgun? I've always liked LB X cannons, even if they are garbage, but I would like to run something that can use LBX...effectively?

The CN9-D has all the shotgun quirks. With the recent spread tightening I would assume this thing is a monster but haven't taken it out.

Edit: Surfing Meta I realized the CN9-D doesn't have an engine cap so this is a thing: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=29&l=2bc449b1879907cc91df8bee63a4f0ef8746e1b3

Super 3 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 26, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Stringbean posted:

I wouldn't bring a Centurion to begin with, when almost every other medium is better than it.

:laugh:

It actually works out amazingly against clans :shrug:. You don't bring it against IS, you bring it against cheetahs and crows and the like.

Thanks, Super. I like that D build is basically a fat huggin

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 26, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
This is also a thing you can do with the CN9-D

CN9-D

In Scouting you can skip on ammo a bit which lets you get away with crazy engine sizes.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, goons, go ahead and throw your best/favorite scouting mechs at me.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

It actually works out amazingly against clans :shrug:. You don't bring it against IS, you bring it against cheetahs and crows and the like.

Thanks, Super. I like that D build is basically a fat huggin

I was joking, I'm just not a fan of Centurions.

Hotfix coming this Thursday:

MWOMercs.com posted:

Planet Value System (Faction Play)

After receiving your feedback and evaluating the metrics of planet ownership through the first week of release, we are going to be increasing the amounts of MC used for the various aspects of the Planet Value system in Faction Play.

• Any planet under a Unit’s control will now generate 15 MC per attack cycle (up from the original 5 MC).
• The maximum amount of MC a Unit can generate per attack cycle has been increased to 90 MC (up from 30 MC).
• The total amount of MC available from a planet over the total duration of its contest period has been increased to 540 MC for normal planets (up from 180 MC), and 1080 MC for capital planets (up from 360 MC).

With these changes, a Unit can receive a total daily income of 270 MC if they maintain control over no less than 6 planets through the course of the day.

Regarding the decision to merge of Solo and Unit Queues
Splitting the Faction Play Queue into Solo and Unit Queues was something we had received a lot of requests for since Faction Play was first introduced. The intention behind its release with Phase 3 on April 19th was to provide a more even playing field for players who were not part of an organized Unit.
However, after monitoring the population of the two Queues through the week since its release we are going to be merging the Solo and Unit Faction Play Queues back into a single Queue. While the 4v4 structure of Scouting worked reasonably well in the Solo Queue for certain Factions, there were simply not enough Invasion matches kicking off in Solo.
We are going to continue exploring new features and enhancements for Faction Play to help improve the overall experience for players of all types. For now we feel this represents the best overall option for ensuring players who want to participate in Faction Play can do so reliably, with minimal waiting, and with access to all of its game modes.

Other changes were whatever.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 26, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Anita Dickinme posted:

upcoming championship esports will be sponsored by HelioS

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stringbean posted:

I was joking, I'm just not a fan of Centurions.

Hotfix coming this Thursday:

Other changes were whatever.

What's that? Solo que didn't have nearly enough people in it to justify its existence? Color me surprised.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

The GRF-2N mentioned above. GRF-3M is also a good option

Your bog-standard BJ-1X BJ-1X

I've seen folks do work with this:

SHD-2D2

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

TheParadigm posted:

I bring the TBT-LG over Griffins (when I really shouldn't) because of the cbill bonus. I bring the ENF-4R over the WVR-6K because I think it's a better robot.

The truth is, IS has a ton of badass mediums that are viable.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

Atlas DDC

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Blackdog420 posted:

I bring the TBT-LG over Griffins (when I really shouldn't) because of the cbill bonus. I bring the ENF-4R over the WVR-6K because I think it's a better robot.

The truth is, IS has a ton of badass mediums that are viable.

Metamechs has these for the -4R and -6K

ENF-4R

WVR-6K

I think they'd both work really well

someone was also bringing a dakka enforcer and doing some work with it:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Lest we not forget the venerable HBK-4SP.

Also, last night got paired with a pubby in a crab with all flamers and 2 mpl. He was shutting down crows left and right and it was hilarious. And we won.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's that? Solo que didn't have nearly enough people in it to justify its existence? Color me surprised.

Everyone saw the writing on the wall when they announced it, the big thing is that they reversed the decision and merged in a pretty short period of time.

I'm glad they didn't dig their heels in on stupid poo poo that everyone knows doesn't really work 'cough' ghost heat 'cough'.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

TeeMerk posted:

Lest we not forget the venerable HBK-4SP.

I actually have way more success with my HBK-4SP than my HBK-4G, and I'm not really sure how.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
here is a thing I think could be true

the Viper (probably Bad) could in fact be Good for scouting mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

If we were gonna do this as clans, I think the 12 SPL Stormcrows would be the way to go, although the range is a problem

We might see more Novas in this mode, the Scrows beat them out on speed but it would be cool for some variety.

I have a build similar to this that I run in Quickplay that might work.

SCR-D

• Locked thread