Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty much everything beats being a member of House Kurita's elite mechanized artillery infantry.

They're 'mechanized' because the 30-odd ton thumper artillery piece they have to push around is technically a vehicle.

That's roughly the same training Conan the Barbarian had, and he turned out great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BattleTech Infantry: GI Joe in the 31st Millennium

Roadblock

Barbecue

Rock 'n Roll (pictured: a Lyran Trooper with armor divisor 2, so apparently it's not THAT high a bar to get over)

Aero from the Dino-Riders

Firefly?

An escapee from Tron

Pretty much the Dreadnoks

Dusty (also pictured: the reason everyone makes fun of the Taurian Concordat, they have terrible trigger discipline)

Barricade

A Cobra Capellan Minecrapper

A Capellan sniper with a 6 hex maximum range (lol)

I'm pretty sure I actually owned these toys:

But none of them, and I mean none of them, tops Fat Black Australian Recondo from the Free Worlds League

There's enough material here for a good 2-3 WTF D&Ds, I think.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 25, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech Infantry: GI Joe in the 31st Millennium

There's enough material here for a good 2-3 WTF D&Ds, I think.

I...what? Are those actually real? Does that mine dude and weird dragon thing have actual rules for the game? Do they show up in novels? Seriously, this poo poo is blowing my mind.

:psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

I...what? Are those actually real?

Yes

thetruegentleman posted:

Does that mine dude and weird dragon thing have actual rules for the game?

Yes.

The Capellan Minecrapper is actually motorized infantry, which means they get motorcycles or APCs and have 3 ground MP. They come in platoons of 14 men, wield Gyrojet Rifles (which means that 14 of them can do up to 5 damage :v: ) and can lay mines. Because North Korea.

The Dragonriders of Pern Aerial Beast Infantry are Free World League troops that come in platoons of 7 dragon riders, count as VTOL aircraft and carry elephant guns. Which means their squad of 7 can do up to 1 damage to a BattleMech as long as at least 5 of them are alive (if less than 5 are alive they're capable of doing a whopping 0 damage)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The Lyran Middle East Special Forces have Hollywood Style points as armor.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Capellan Minecrapper is actually motorized infantry, which means they get motorcycles or APCs and have 3 ground MP. They come in platoons of 14 men, wield Gyrojet Rifles (which means that 14 of them can do up to 5 damage :v: ) and can lay mines. Because North Korea.

The Dragonriders of Pern Aerial Beast Infantry are Free World League troops that come in platoons of 7 dragon riders, count as VTOL aircraft and carry elephant guns. Which means their squad of 7 can do up to 1 damage to a BattleMech as long as at least 5 of them are alive (if less than 5 are alive they're capable of doing a whopping 0 damage)

I *really* want to know who actually looked at the Aerial Beast Infantry and said, "Yeah, this looks like it deserves to be in a game about robots shooting each other." Battletech isn't hard sci-fi by any stretch of the imagination, but that's straight Warhammer 40K poo poo there.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

I *really* want to know who actually looked at the Aerial Beast Infantry and said, "Yeah, this looks like it deserves to be in a game about robots shooting each other." Battletech isn't hard sci-fi by any stretch of the imagination, but that's straight Warhammer 40K poo poo there.

Beast Infantry are not only a thing, there are rules for all kinds of beasts, up to and including riding whales, thirty-ton hipposaurs, and dinosaurs with mounted weaponry. When PTN mentioned Dino Riders, you can literally do that. It's not SANE, but you can do it.

BattleTech: There's A Rule For Everything.

Edit: Next scenario is a side mission with Rim Worlder dinosaur infantry fighting Snow Raven ProtoMechs in the jungle.

GenericServices fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 25, 2016

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thetruegentleman posted:

Believe it or not, the Branths have a long, proud lineage in Battletech fiction, and predate those infantry units by something like 20 years. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Branth

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Notice how there's a cord coming out of the bottom of that missile launcher? Looks like the attachments a lot of MCLOS ATGM's had in the 60's and 70's. One strategy to deal with ATGM infantry is to shoot the source of the missile (because you can see the missile launch) and since your tank shell/autocannon/MG travels faster than the missile, you can make the operator duck and lose guidance. The obvious first countermeasure was "attach controller cord, guide missile from 20 feet that way".

This was confusing to me, since this is the Space 80's.

Then I noticed the cord seems to be attached to the bottom of the missile that guy is holding. What is going on here?

EDIT: Holy crap NORFORCE, pudgy company is the best thing I've seen all day.

EDIT 2: I think I see what that is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Vigilant

But, um, still not sure what's up with the missile butt cord.

Centurium fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 25, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, clearly he's using his slightly-larger-than-his-normal-hands robot exoskeleton and the launcher's built-in USB charging station to charge the electric fuel cell for the missile's guidance system. :v:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Not worth the attempt in the Gunsmith's case since it takes double damage from the fall, the skid, and the impact.

Nothing tops a Tau Zombie in terms of gear, though. The armor divisor 2 gear the Clans get is about the best possible equipment fielded by a normal human.

Tau Zombies have Armor Divisor 3, which means even in the open they take less than full damage and god help you if they've got heavy buildings or worse, bunkers, to hide in.

3.5, actually. TSM implants now provide a +.5 armor divisor as of Interstellar Ops, which doesn't quite make up for how ridiculous MD infantry were previously.

Previously, MD infantry completely ignored the 'double damage in open' modifier for infantry and reduced burst-fire weapons damage by 1d6, and if they had pain shunts (they'll have pain shunts because gently caress you that's why) they also halved fire damage. You'd be lucky to kill two guys with a Flamer.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes

Yes.

Infantry weapons damage and range is converted via a weird formula from AToW to Battletech. This formula tends to overvalue rate of fire and ammo capacity and heavily penalize slow-firing weapons with small magazines-so slow-fire weapons like elephant guns and gyrojet rifles, although they're really useful in the RPG, are really sad on tabletop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I appreciate the lil flex pose the minecapper is doing there.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Centurium posted:

Then I noticed the cord seems to be attached to the bottom of the missile that guy is holding. What is going on here?

wire-guided missile ?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Thin wire is lostech.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Scintilla posted:

I'm loving the ridiculous bendy combat knife.

Presumably the knife has a straight blade and it's just a fancy zig-zag sheath, otherwise you'd never be able to draw it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wafflecopper posted:

Presumably the knife has a straight blade and it's just a fancy zig-zag sheath, otherwise you'd never be able to draw it.

The artist had the same problem. :haw:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I am a horrible goon who has literally one hour of TT gaming experience and will gladly accept good advice, bad advice, and the opportunity to read multi-page debates over the defining line between the former and latter.

My first instinct walk to 2839, turn to face 2740, and fire my ER Large Laser at Anhur 1638 but I'm sure there are no less than four reasons that would be a Bad Idea. :ohdear:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vorenus posted:

I am a horrible goon who has literally one hour of TT gaming experience and will gladly accept good advice, bad advice, and the opportunity to read multi-page debates over the defining line between the former and latter.

My first instinct walk to 2839, turn to face 2740, and fire my ER Large Laser at Anhur 1638 but I'm sure there are no less than four reasons that would be a Bad Idea. :ohdear:

You would already be running so you might as well go on to 2138, putting the rest of your guns in medium range. Fire the large lasers, the srms (ammo in the tubes can get you killed, ammo in the air kills enemies) and a medium laser. You can fire the other medium laser if you're willing to take on a small amount of heat. This also puts the other 2 close Anhurs in long range of your lasers and missiles, giving you contingency targets since you'll be near the bottom of the turn order. The Anhurs will be pretty popular targets and quite fragile ones so you might have a contingency to shoot your large laser at one of the Visigoths since those are in your medium range and not likely to be dead by the time your turn comes up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vorenus posted:

I'd just hang a right and charge 8 hexes down to 2040 and open up from there. May as well run full out and get in better position to lay in to things next turn. E: I am also crazy agressive with fast mechs, but hey, there's nothing to really shoot back at you! (This turn :v: )

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
What if I run to 2642, turn to face 2643 (9MP by my count), and unload a LL/SRM into the inf @ 3245, plus a ML/SRM @ 2047 inf since they'll inevitably come crawling up behind us?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 26, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Note on the wob guy, he ain't wearing gloves, those are his loving bare arms and hands, LOOK AT THEM.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry guys! If things get too hot for the FWL, they can always just count on the Spartans from Halo to bail them out!

:v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

For the old-school thread readers

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

You can trust me, I'm a space doctor with a bloody chainsaw.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Armored chaps. I'm impressed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Picard Day posted:

You can trust me, I'm a space doctor with a bloody chainsaw.

Sterile medical instruments are lostech.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hahaha. Sorry best call back!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And if anyone thought I was joking about the Death's Consorts' Mad Max infantry from the WrestleMania scenario, I wasn't.
I just gave them better gear because look at that 0 hex maximum range!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 26, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Now, see, that's the kind of thing that puts points on the scoreboard and wins games.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

dat camber

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Holy poo poo, this is the best.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How...how do you sit in this thing? The handle bars goes directly into the pelvis area.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've always found it funny that Battletech tries to have its technology cake and eat it too with WHOLE MEGABYTES OF DATA for their computers right alongside practical powered infantry armor and miniaturized Gauss weapons.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

So these soldiers had cervical vertibrae removed when they joined the unit or what?

Or, added maybe? Looking at what I assume is their elbow, it puts the shoulder in a bit from the leading edge. That's some neck.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

But none of them, and I mean none of them, tops Fat Black Australian Recondo from the Free Worlds League

Pretty sure this guy's supposed to be a space-Nepalese Ghurkha, what with his slouch hat, kukhri and slightly racist rendering of his face.

Edit: They left the crown on his unit insignia?

Erd fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 26, 2016

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

wiegieman posted:

I've always found it funny that Battletech tries to have its technology cake and eat it too with WHOLE MEGABYTES OF DATA for their computers right alongside practical powered infantry armor and miniaturized Gauss weapons.

A lot of the underlying assumptions about background tech level have quietly changed over the years, similar to how newer editions of Shadowrun suddenly sprouted wireless cyberware and guns. Never fear, there's still FedSuns dirt farmers out there if you need a world of hapless 19th-century yokels to lord it over in your Stinger.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For a long while, I assumed this was a whole-body tripod. It's like he's too much of a badass to need a tripod for his gun, he needs a tripod for his ego.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Which mech is the one in ? Other than the Crab.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Artificer posted:

Which mech is the one in ? Other than the Crab.

Looks like an Atlas and a Dire Wolf to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Keru posted:

Looks like an Atlas and a Dire Wolf to me.

There's also what looks like an Owens or a Jenner in between the two, but it's not distinct enough to make out clearly.

• Locked thread