Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

Dude I think Souls 3 had the hardest early game

I must be weird

Can't speak for Bloodborne but I'd agree. Again, mainly because Lothric Knights are insanely aggressive enemies relative to other stuff you encounter in the early game. And there are spear variants as well, so you have to learn how to handle two different types of extreme aggression in the first zone. Nothing in the first zones of the other games really compares to that.

EDIT: Its hard for me to gauge SOTFS early game though actually. I was so used to DS2 I had no trouble with it, but I could see how the abundance of turtle knights in the first zone would cause trouble for some people.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

voltcatfish posted:

I must be weird
Nah, the other games had pretty easy first areas.
Even the tutorial boss is probably harder than DS1, if only slightly.
(Why didn't DS2 have a Tutorial boss, I wonder?)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

voltcatfish posted:

I must be weird

For me it was Dark Souls 2 because you're so incredibly feeble and the Hollow Knights track you and come in multiples. DS1 and DS3 you can get past much of the early game with patience, side-stepping, and backstabs. Once you make it through the early game, though, DS2 becomes super easy up until about Drangleic Castle.

DS3 there's fewer tracking enemies early on (Lothric Knights aside) which means you can make slow progress with patient backstabbing even with a fragile build. But you have a much smaller margin of error because many enemies will chain you to death if you get caught off guard.

Blaziken386 posted:

(Why didn't DS2 have a Tutorial boss, I wonder?)

The Last Giant teaches you how to stay between the boss's legs :v:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Harrow posted:

I would do Latria naked and with my bare fists 10 times before I'd do Irithyll Dungeon again.

Which is why it's so great that I died really far in without finding a shortcut so I get to do Irithyll Dungeon again.

This gets my vote for worst area in the series.

I don't know dude, The Gutter is a thing that exists.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I might have just been out of practice but I found the High Walls absolutely merciless, it's got a half-dozen flavors of nastiness to throw at you and doesn't give a poo poo whether you're ready for any of it or not.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Night Blade posted:

I don't know dude, The Gutter is a thing that exists.

You can fly through the Gutter in about 30 seconds if you know what you're doing. I don't know if you can ignore the Jailors in Irithyll Dungeon, but running through the entire dungeon takes at least a few minutes to be able to make it to the Profaned Capital bonfire and there's a couple fights that are hard to skip.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brannock posted:

You can fly through the Gutter in about 30 seconds if you know what you're doing. I don't know if you can ignore the Jailors in Irithyll Dungeon, but running through the entire dungeon takes at least a few minutes to be able to make it to the Profaned Capital bonfire and there's a couple fights that are hard to skip.

Yeah but "how fast can I run right through it if I know what I'm doing already" is a bad metric for souls levels.

I thought Irithyll Dungeon was kinda cool? :shrug:

Gutter is very barebones, not just in how hard it is to get through but the content and enemies, there's just not much to it. The only thing cool about gutter is lighting all the sconces and seeing the room light up. Otherwise its just a platform transition to black gulch.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Oxxidation posted:

I might have just been out of practice but I found the High Walls absolutely merciless, it's got a half-dozen flavors of nastiness to throw at you and doesn't give a poo poo whether you're ready for any of it or not.
In true Souls fashion. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brannock posted:

You can run from them but unless you are patient you will take some hits.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
f

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh don't get me wrong, I disliked Gutter (and most of Dark Souls 2) for being super visually boring and I vastly prefer DS3's richness and detail.

Irithyll Dungeon was hard and took me a long while and tested my patience but I ultimately liked it and all the little nooks and side paths and shortcuts you could open up to fully explore it.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
tower of latria caused me to get really lost every time and get confused nad break down and cry and wonder where i am and what the gently caress am idoing with my life why can't i progress o

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Better get in on the boss soul glitch while ya can. PC master race can autohotkey it (use a program to lock in 30 frames/sec)

Saves lovely grinding if ya wanna quickly make highet lvl pvp characters

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Being cindered in the Irithyll Dungeon, dreading an invasion as I moved through a difficult level slowly with gently caress You Enemies, hoping the next bonfire was in the next room and it never was

well that's why I play souls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dragonslayer Armor makes up for the entire Lothric Castle area being totally unfun. What a cool fight! I love the artillery barrage. :allears:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Irithyll Dungeon is only "bad" because of the jailers. That tenseness they cause actually makes it pretty rad. I don't think anything in Soulsborne games has made me that on edge since the first time I stumbled into the Dragon God fight without knowing there'd be a boss fight immediately after a boss fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but "how fast can I run right through it if I know what I'm doing already" is a bad metric for souls levels.

I thought Irithyll Dungeon was kinda cool? :shrug:

I just hate everything about the Jailers. Even with a big, heavy weapon I can't seem to get through an encounter with more than one of them without just having a sliver of HP remaining, and then I just have to stand around and wait for it to come back and chug Estus and it's just tedious. The whole area is just really tedious.

I'd rather deal with Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Hardest early game enemies for sure. Vordt's got nothing on Gascoigne though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

I just hate everything about the Jailers. Even with a big, heavy weapon I can't seem to get through an encounter with more than one of them without just having a sliver of HP remaining, and then I just have to stand around and wait for it to come back and chug Estus and it's just tedious. The whole area is just really tedious.

Huh? They go down so quick though. I don't think I've ever managed to lose more than like, half my lifebar from fighting them, and that was when I got cocky and tried fighting two at once in the final 8 jailor room.

By the way the trick to that room is to open the door to the crucified thing, aggro it outside, and let it murder the jailors for you as he's aggro to them. Since he's a prisoner, you see.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, the Gutter was the worst. Especially since the Black Gulch, which actually looked great and had fun enemies, was super short after that godawful slog. It was like all the worst parts of Blighttown combined together. Those stupid dog enemies with their insane hitboxes, the platforms that all looked the same, the poison arrows from everywhere, just... ugh.

I'm really glad DS3 doesn't have any of the weirdly short areas that 2 had. That annoyed me more than anything else, it had a lot of variety but some zones were done in literally 5-10 minutes. Every area in DS3 really feels like a place that has a purpose other than being a level in a video game. Only Majula and the Forest had that in DS2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

The jailers didn't end up too bad, but it's the only level in any Souls game I got lost and kept going in circles in.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Infinity Gaia posted:

Huh? They go down so quick though. I don't think I've ever managed to lose more than like, half my lifebar from fighting them, and that was when I got cocky and tried fighting two at once in the final 8 jailor room.

By the way the trick to that room is to open the door to the crucified thing, aggro it outside, and let it murder the jailors for you as he's aggro to them. Since he's a prisoner, you see.

When I tried that it kept running after me and then got cornered in a doorway and branded to death by four jailers, who then turned on me.

Had a tiny sliver of health left but I killed them all. The butcher knife's wide hit radius wins again!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

aside from invasions being garbage in this game, red soapstone pvp is still mostly really fun. Just now I got summoned as a purple to fight a guy with a red dude on his side. At first I was like oh, fighting against both of them huh, thats fine I guess. But the red phantom didn't do any emoting or even have a weapon, so while I was fighting the host he just stuck to his side, and if I took some distance he just ran up to me and punched me once. After killing the host he just backstabbed me as if to take revenge for his fallen master or something.

poo poo was fun and weird and as such souls pvp at its best.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Begemot posted:

I'm really glad DS3 doesn't have any of the weirdly short areas that 2 had. That annoyed me more than anything else, it had a lot of variety but some zones were done in literally 5-10 minutes. Every area in DS3 really feels like a place that has a purpose other than being a level in a video game. Only Majula and the Forest had that in DS2.

The Consumed King's Garden is both pretty short and lovely (since I run past half the zone, myself)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The jailers terrible secret is that if you just run up and smack them in the face before their lantern turns red, your health bar stays the same. For the majority of them, this isn't hard to do. I mean there's that one big room but patience is the key there. The dungeon itself really isn't that big once you open the shortcuts. You'll need to make multiple trips, but I didn't find it that hard. In fact, I only died to the jailers once and it wasn't really my fault, just getting caught off-guard by a complete dick move.

"Hm, try attacking? I don't see anything here but okay. Wonder wha- WHAT THE HELL WHY ARE THESE GUYS INVISIBLE NO WAIT I NEED TO HEA-"

Literally nothing else like that in the game, no hints about it, just a random gently caress you. Not cool.

On a more positive note, I finally finished Sirris dumb quest so my fashion souls on this character is complete. :toot:

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I can't seem to find any info on parry frames for the small shield-- is there an advantage to Target or Buckler over Llewellyn or Bloom this time around? It feels like there should be, but I don't feel a difference in difficulty parrying.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Has anyone figured out what the I-frames/recovery frames are on Quickstep?

I've found Quickstep to be super useless. You simply can't attack out of it fast enough for it to be actually useful. Sure, you can dodge your enemy, but you can't punish them for the attack you just quickstepped; they're already rolling away from you. Combine with all the quickstep weapons having super tiny reach or being bizarrely slow (daggers, thrall axe and the manikin claws respectively), it's little more than a novelty.

Edit: this is PvP usage. In PvE, there's no reason to use it over rolling at all since rolling is more than sufficient unless you really just like the animation THAT much.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I beat the game. The latter third of the game was super lame to me, with most of the bosses having a similar gimmick. My ending seemed meaningless. Sure, I snuffed out the fire, but even the Keeper says that it comes back. It always does. So I just perpetuated the cycle anew. That's all I feel like saying right now.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Bogart posted:

I beat the game. The latter third of the game was super lame to me, with most of the bosses having a similar gimmick. My ending seemed meaningless. Sure, I snuffed out the fire, but even the Keeper says that it comes back. It always does. So I just perpetuated the cycle anew. That's all I feel like saying right now.

Young Hollow, there are but two paths. You must inherit the order of this world...

..or destroy it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Seems my game may be bugged. I killed Yorhm and that was my 3rd lord of cinder. Yet that final part has not been triggered. I did not get teleported to high wall and when i went myself Emma has not been triggered. What should I do?

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Obligatum VII posted:

I've found Quickstep to be super useless. You simply can't attack out of it fast enough for it to be actually useful. Sure, you can dodge your enemy, but you can't punish them for the attack you just quickstepped; they're already rolling away from you. Combine with all the quickstep weapons having super tiny reach or being bizarrely slow (daggers, thrall axe and the manikin claws respectively), it's little more than a novelty.

Edit: this is PvP usage. In PvE, there's no reason to use it over rolling at all since rolling is more than sufficient unless you really just like the animation THAT much.

In PVE it's really useful I dunno if bosses are timed for rolls or it's just that it uses less stamina but especially Nameless King (ground phase), Twin Princes and Soul of Cinder are almost disappointingly easy with a Thrall Axe... you just quickstep right through their swing and then hit them a bunch... you don't ever have to stop hugging them or anything.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Raged posted:

Seems my game may be bugged. I killed Yorhm and that was my 3rd lord of cinder. Yet that final part has not been triggered. I did not get teleported to high wall and when i went myself Emma has not been triggered. What should I do?

kill her

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Harrow posted:

let's not say things we can't take back

I'm in NG+ right now and Irithyll Dungeon is so much easier the second time around. I know what to expect and know where poo poo is. The only part I really hate at this point is the room with all the Jailers, but once I get all the poo poo/free Karla, I can just dash past them all. It's, if nothing else, a real short area once you have the Jailbreaker Key.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bogart posted:

I don't interpret that ending the same way you do. The First Flame is gone forever, as is the age of Lords. There will be new embers, but it's something entirely new--it isn't the First Flame, the cycle is over. This is the world born anew, emerging from the darkness to a different Age. In the previous games, the First Flame never actually died out in any of the endings. Maybe your character didn't link it, but someone else inevitably would, and so it would go on. In the ending you're talking about, it actually, really goes out, cradled in the Fire Keeper's hands. It's gone for good. Whatever light and fire comes next, it won't be the First Flame.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 26, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
behold the cheat engine

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

All this talk about the Dungeons and areas/tricks that I definitely don't remember when I went through.... which means I have to go back. :negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Another dumb question but if I want to play pyromancy I start as pyromancer right?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

voltcatfish posted:

Another dumb question but if I want to play pyromancy I start as pyromancer right?

You get the pyromancy flame from an NPC in Undead Settlement if you don't start as a pyromancer, so it's not too far down the line.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can get a glove from the pyro teacher if you really don't want to start as a pyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Two questions:

1. What's a good level to face Aldrich at? I've been running through battles as a white phantom to get better, and I've fought him maybe ten or twelve times and never seen a host beat him.

2. If I'm up to Aldrich's fog gate on one path and Yhorm's fog gate on the other, am I at a point where I could find chaos gem drops? Chaos is my ultra jam.