Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StandardVC10 posted:

Went to the March Field airshow last week and uh, I guess this is a thing now:

L39? I have learned not what an L39 looks like per se but if it looks like a fighter jet but is owned by some dude its an L39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

So I saw an unusual sight Saturday evening. I was out on the Chesapeake and hear/saw a prop plane going by leisurely in the distance. It came closer and it was definitely old--polished aluminum with what looked like some painted red detailing, four engines, definitely a Douglas something, looked like a DC-6 (or maybe a DC-4, hard to tell at that distance). But whatever it was it was a damned unusual sight. Unfortunately all I had was a phone camera on me and couldn't get anything worth a drat.

I mean there I can't imagine there being too many candidates what the sucker could be, anyone have any ideas?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

StandardVC10 posted:

So this is the guy that ran away with all the MtGox money or what?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Godholio posted:

Isn't that guy in Japan crying on national television?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Grave $avings posted:

So I saw an unusual sight Saturday evening. I was out on the Chesapeake and hear/saw a prop plane going by leisurely in the distance. It came closer and it was definitely old--polished aluminum with what looked like some painted red detailing, four engines, definitely a Douglas something, looked like a DC-6 (or maybe a DC-4, hard to tell at that distance). But whatever it was it was a damned unusual sight. Unfortunately all I had was a phone camera on me and couldn't get anything worth a drat.

I mean there I can't imagine there being too many candidates what the sucker could be, anyone have any ideas?

I believe there are a couple DC-4 or DC-6 survivors doing firefighting missions - got any big wildfires near you? There's also a restored Douglas propliner in Eastern Airlines livery, maybe that's more likely.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 26, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Godholio posted:

"Suckin' bitcoin bought this jet"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Grave $avings posted:

Wasn't a Boeing 247D, was it? Museum of Flight has been flying there's lately (IIRC), thought I saw them posting pics of it flying around the East Coast on Facebook.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Isn't that guy in Japan crying on national television?

Check one of the bitcoin threads for more. Last we heard he was still in jail in Japan. Supposedly they can keep bringing new charges to reset the timer on detention without trial; the last report anyone heard (last August) was that had happened once already. Some of us suspect he'll just be quietly deported, if that hasn't happened already.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

movax posted:

Wasn't a Boeing 247D, was it? Museum of Flight has been flying there's lately (IIRC), thought I saw them posting pics of it flying around the East Coast on Facebook.

MoF 247D is in blue/white UAL paint and scheduled to make its last ever flight from KPAE to KBFI tomorrow at noon, (Psion take note) so doubt it :v:

The Museum's flyable DC-2 would be closer, being a bare-aluminum Douglas with red TWA markings, but AFAIK it's hangared at Boeing Field rn, and also remains stubbornly two-engined :shrug:

e: (any dc-2 posting must be accompanied by the dc-2 and a half, it is Air Law)

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

HookedOnChthonics posted:

MoF 247D is in blue/white UAL paint and scheduled to make its last ever flight from KPAE to KBFI tomorrow at noon, (Psion take note) so doubt it :v:

fffffffff this is what I get for not reading the AI forum this morning

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Psion posted:

fffffffff this is what I get for not reading the AI forum this morning

Yeah, I was more distracted by the dude who jumped off the Madison St. bridge and the resultant I-5 clusterfuck. :smith:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Anyone have any idea what this might have been? Photo was taken "Someplace in North Dakota".

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Anyone have any idea what this might have been? Photo was taken "Someplace in North Dakota".

P-3 Orion.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

MrChips posted:

P-3 Orion.

I'll be damned. Thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That was really bothering me. It looks similar to a lot of things...I might've gotten there eventually.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

That was really bothering me. It looks similar to a lot of things...I might've gotten there eventually.

Yeah, I was going through Wikipedia pictures of heavies and decided to ask here to speed up the process.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The 247D landing turned out to be kind of a non-event; due to ongoing uncertaintly as to whether or not the brakes would function they set down at the extreme north end of KBFI and did a slooooow roll to the parking lot. It briefly taxied alongside a 737, which was neat, but my photography ended up unpostably bad. Still, seeing a living, breathing survivor of that era of commecial aviation is always satisfying. Also seeing the B-17, -29, and -47 all parked in a row is :flashfap: as gently caress, if you're in seattle you owe it to yourself to at least roll past on E Marginal.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

StandardVC10 posted:

I believe there are a couple DC-4 or DC-6 survivors doing firefighting missions - got any big wildfires near you? There's also a restored Douglas propliner in Eastern Airlines livery, maybe that's more likely.

No we've no big wildfires but that doesn't mean it wasn't some sort of aerial tanker; the bright polished metal with red would seem to indicate that.

movax posted:

Wrong coast but man that would have been neat to see.

It almost looked like on of the Douglas transports shown at http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/columbine-ii-2nd-mid-april-update.html and it makes me wonder if somehow relates to the folks at Dynamic Aviation in Virginia who seem to be building up a vintage stock.

Edit:Heck maybe it was even this guy.

Pepperoneedy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2016

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's the plane in the Area Codes music video? DC-6, DC-7? I can't tell.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

I tried really hard to find a picture of an Mi-26 parked next to a CH-53, and couldn't.

Will you settle for a short vid of a Halo slinging a Hook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBP1cIh27Oo

longer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5pqwFFik4

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Welp.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It looks like someone turned the collision off in a videogame and the wheels are clipping through the ground mesh.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is that what happens when ABS fails.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

What distinguishes that segment of plane from the same segment from a plain old Electra?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The Orion has a more pointed nose than the Electra, which you can still see even with the radome missing.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Some Russian dude isn't taking his firing too well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pVU4FAl70

Kinda reminds me of the Canadian Airlines 737-200 that some dude tried to cut the cockpit section out. The plane eventually became an artificial reef.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ooooooh did someone JetBlue 292 again?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I can't read the words JetBlue without hearing the ATC guy

Jetbloooooo!

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

The plane lives at Byron (c83) in the Patriots Jet Team hangar. Really pretty plane, the L-39.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simplefish posted:

I can't read the words JetBlue without hearing the ATC guy

Jetbloooooo!

JETBRUUUUUU

Fun fact: Jet Blue never answers on the first call.

Ever.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

azflyboy posted:

The Orion has a more pointed nose than the Electra, which you can still see even with the radome missing.

The escape hatch cutout behind the cockpit windows was the giveaway for me, but yeah you really can see the reprofiled nose quite clearly.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

The plane lives at Byron (c83) in the Patriots Jet Team hangar. Really pretty plane, the L-39.

Everytime I see the L-39 I think of the BD-10 and what could have been there had the prototypes for the kit not, you know, fallen the gently caress apart in midair.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 27, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Twin Cessna crashes into trees and folks rush to help the sole occupant get away from the fire and wreckage. With video:

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/31825374/dramatic-video-shows-plane-crash-in-foley-neighborhood

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 27, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

When I first saw this, I thought, "Wow, those wheels have really sunk into the ground there."

Then I realised they hadn't :stonk:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Everytime I see the L-39 I think of the BD-10 and what could have been there had the prototypes for the kit not, you know, fallen the gently caress apart in midair.

I still dream of a mach capable homebuilt.

Jim screwed up pretty bad on the BD-10.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

Twin Cessna crashes into trees and folks rush to help the sole occupant get away from the fire and wreckage. With video:

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/31825374/dramatic-video-shows-plane-crash-in-foley-neighborhood

:stare:

Hopefully the full video shows up somewhere.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Kind of amazed there isn't (much) visible scraping on the concrete behind it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Look to the left. Looks like the aircraft was travelling from left to right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pretty sure that's from this incident from a few years back at LAX -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKrA8KjYvg