Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
My new favorite thing to do in PvP is while the opponent is doing whatever cordial gesture they need to do, I do the Patches Squat for a few seconds, then stand up and throw a single dung pile before fighting. :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

voltcatfish posted:

Wow Katanas really gently caress the Abyss Walkers up

I didn't expect to stagger him with every attack

You can even backstab them, which is really satisfying on a boss. Equal ground, mother fucker.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Mods change my name to Pelvic Doom

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there better options for Pyro pvp rings than

Chloranthy
Sages
Witches
Swamp or Lloyd's sword

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I have three suits of Silver Knight armor that I'm too frail and fire-loving to wear, as well as like ten ears that I don't know what to do with

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Merauder posted:

My new favorite thing to do in PvP is while the opponent is doing whatever cordial gesture they need to do, I do the Patches Squat for a few seconds, then stand up and throw a single dung pile before fighting. :nexus:

As far as I can tell, stalk dung pies exist purely so that when you kill someone you can throw it onto their corpse while walking away.

actionjackson posted:

Are there better options for Pyro pvp rings than

Chloranthy
Sages
Witches
Swamp or Lloyd's sword

Fire clutch, but tons of stuff would be better than the chloranthy ring. The stamina regen is barely noticeable in this game.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

voltcatfish posted:

Wow Katanas really gently caress the Abyss Watchers up

I didn't expect to stagger him with every attack

I did a few co-op passes on my dex character that I never finished earlier and I actually felt bad for the boss, they have bad poise so you can just run up and R1 them to oblivion like you're ganking an invader.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So is it safe to fight the greatwood after joining the mound makers quest, I'm wondering about the Sirris questline?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
If you fight the fire-breathing dragon on the High Wall it flies away with a quarter health left. Does it ever show up again anywhere else?

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
Are any of the spears particularly stand out sick in this game? I been using the Lothric Knight spear for a while, cause it looks cool, but the weapon art being a piece of poo poo kind of sucks.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alabaster White posted:

This is wonderful but fills me with dread for the future. At least I've done everything that requires online so I can duck out in case the cheaters start running rampant.

Just be glad that as far as I have been able to see, there is no statdrain.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Booya posted:

Are any of the spears particularly stand out sick in this game? I been using the Lothric Knight spear for a while, cause it looks cool, but the weapon art being a piece of poo poo kind of sucks.

The heide great spear shows up without the lightning damage.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Being a faithful follower of Saint Aldrich of the Deep, May He Eat Forever is surprisingly fun.

Had a really great 1-on-1 with a katana guy where we ended up fighting on the moving staircase to Anor Londo. We were doing flips and random dive attacks and poo poo, and constantly moving the stairs up and down for the free I-frames. Then he died when I kicked him off the bridge part mid-move. A worthy foe.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't see for poo poo, please help

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So is it safe to fight the greatwood after joining the mound makers quest, I'm wondering about the Sirris questline?

It should be fine, since you get summoned to her world, but if things go awry because he got squashed by a giant tree, don't blame me - this games sub-quests are incredibly obtuse.

Harrow posted:

Good to know invasions are still hopping at those high levels. I kind of want to make a Darkmoon Blade buffing build but I'm gonna have to go to 120 to do it and there's still a pretty big fight going on about what the "PvP meta level" is.

4chan and Reddit both have a very strong SL 100 contingent, and 4chan is especially insistent on SL 80. No idea what any other "communities" are settling on.

This is from way back, but I would love the community to settle on a SL range, and just looking at the numbers there is no reason you can't do a solid Darkmoon blade build at SL80. Start Knight. VGR to 27, Faith to 30, base requirements for whatever weapon you want, and you probably still have 20 points left to do whatever the crap you want, like VIT for vanity, more str/dex, or just pumping more health.

So having said that, and based on my experience of my own builds really coming into their own around SL 50, I would say there's no reason for the meta to be any higher than SL80. The whole point behind a meta isn't just an arbitrary matchmaking bracket, but so that encounters within that bracket will be varied/interesting. I can't see there being any "glass cannons" at SL120 - everyone would be kicking around 50vgr and soft capped END

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Yes, it is fine. In fact, you do not even need to join it first before fighting, there is another way.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh ni-oh is a ps4 exclusive, never mind

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Merauder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DmFUU1Ino

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Booya posted:

Spears were by far my favorite weapon types in 1 and 2, but I don't like them much in this one. They're slow, deal mediocre damage per hit, and don't work well with the tweakier, more aggressive play style. But, dragonslayer spear seems pretty cool. It hits decently hard, has great reach, the two-handed R2s are especially damaging and are quite fast and the weapon art does a fuckload of damage if you can land it. Like a lot of cool weapons, though, it comes very late into the game.

If you want a quick weapon with good reach, but aren't particularly attached to spears, the washing pole is very good. Durability means nothing now, so that particular drawback doesn't exist at all.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kiggles posted:

It should be fine, since you get summoned to her world, but if things go awry because he got squashed by a giant tree, don't blame me - this games sub-quests are incredibly obtuse.

This is from way back, but I would love the community to settle on a SL range, and just looking at the numbers there is no reason you can't do a solid Darkmoon blade build at SL80. Start Knight. VGR to 27, Faith to 30, base requirements for whatever weapon you want, and you probably still have 20 points left to do whatever the crap you want, like VIT for vanity, more str/dex, or just pumping more health.

So having said that, and based on my experience of my own builds really coming into their own around SL 50, I would say there's no reason for the meta to be any higher than SL80. The whole point behind a meta isn't just an arbitrary matchmaking bracket, but so that encounters within that bracket will be varied/interesting. I can't see there being any "glass cannons" at SL120 - everyone would be kicking around 50vgr and soft capped END

I think the communities embrace of sl120 is so that everyone has more similar stats and it's therefore an honorable match of skill instead different builds crushing eachother. If it's anything like ds1 though, I'm sure there will eventually be a community around sl80 play since there's more room for stupid and fun builds.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The ~PvP meta~ has been and probably always will be awful.

It'd be cool if it was some kind of general "Lets hang around here for honorabu dueling" thing, but really all it ever turns into is the hot cookie cutter megabuild fighting the same megabuild and oh it's the 20th giantdad/havelyn/whatever in a row please god it's so boring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The trouble with organized pvp is that there will always be an optimized, "best" build that is more efficient than anything else. Once it becomes known what combination of stats and items makes up that build, people will use it because it's hard to beat. Which sucks, but you can't expect originality to override pride unfortunately.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've always liked Daggers in the souls games but I don't think there's anything that makes them actually good in any game

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
well you can but than those people are stomped by the objectively numerically superior meta builders.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Booya posted:

Partizan can be gained relatively early, and has a swing for it's hard attack, and big spin for it's weapon art.

Remember to hit that hard attack button after your spin specials, kids!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

I've always liked Daggers in the souls games but I don't think there's anything that makes them actually good in any game

Daggers are probably still good if they get the crit damage multiplier that they had in previous games, and they're great for being a real fucker with bleed build-up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

The trouble with organized pvp is that there will always be an optimized, "best" build that is more efficient than anything else. Once it becomes known what combination of stats and items makes up that build, people will use it because it's hard to beat. Which sucks, but you can't expect originality to override pride unfortunately.

Which is why I've always turned to random invasions for PvP rather than organized fight clubs or arenas. Seeing the same cookie cutter builds time and time again is dull as hell and frustrating when they are so good its stupidly hard to even beat them (hello monastery scimitar!). Invading random people, particularly later in the game when a wider array of weapons is available, lets me see way more interesting builds.

CJacobs posted:

Daggers are probably still good if they get the crit damage multiplier that they had in previous games, and they're great for being a real fucker with bleed build-up.

I tried using the bandit dagger in PvP and it has the same problem any short range weapon does; no way to crowd control multiple opponents, so anytime you are in more than a 1v1 its basically impossible to win. You'd have to be a parry god to eliminate phantoms, but without a hornet ring you probably wont oneshot them with the riposte and then they'll just roll away to heal.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Which is why I've always turned to random invasions for PvP rather than organized fight clubs or arenas. Seeing the same cookie cutter builds time and time again is dull as hell and frustrating when they are so good its stupidly hard to even beat them (hello monastery scimitar!). Invading random people, particularly later in the game when a wider array of weapons is available, lets me see way more interesting builds.

I tried using the bandit dagger in PvP and it has the same problem any short range weapon does; no way to crowd control multiple opponents, so anytime you are in more than a 1v1 its basically impossible to win. You'd have to be a parry god to eliminate phantoms, but without a hornet ring you probably wont oneshot them with the riposte and then they'll just roll away to heal.

My anecdotal experience with duel clubs is that they tend to be really spastic babies too. It's like playing uno in a dark room and if you don't play the right card everyone else gets to punch you in the face. I mean I haven't accidentally stepped into a fight club since mid DS2 so maybe they're not the same as they were then, but every time I'd pop in and kill a phantom in a one on one fight every other guy in the club would then just murder me at once. No clue what set them off either.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

The ~Dark Souls PvP~ and everyone who cares about it has been and probably always will be awful.

:yeah:

Invasions was a cool idea back in Demon's Souls that was inevitably ruined by nerds.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Souls-related: NIOH (PS4) is currently in open beta until May 5th for everyone outside the US. US is expected to get it within a day or so.

If you're unfamiliar with NIOH, it's Tecmo Koei's sort-of approach to Dark Souls, but instead of high fantasy, it takes its cues from samurai/shogun/oni folklore. Has a distinct Ninja Gaiden mixed with Dark Souls vibe. Look up some videos if you're one of the three Souls fans who haven't yet heard of this game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

has any tecmo koei game ever been good?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kild posted:

has any tecmo koei game ever been good?

Monster Rancher 2?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, lots.

I was hoping to try it before work but was foiled by lovely PSN download speeds.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
No pc, bad gaem

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

The ~PvP meta~ has been and probably always will be awful.

It'd be cool if it was some kind of general "Lets hang around here for honorabu dueling" thing, but really all it ever turns into is the hot cookie cutter megabuild fighting the same megabuild and oh it's the 20th giantdad/havelyn/whatever in a row please god it's so boring.

ive done a stupidly gross amount of honor duels or whatever in ds2 and 3 and i've yet to run into the problem of running into mostly cookie cutter builds on iron keep bridge or in the pontiff arena

maybe i'm lucky or something, idk- like yeah you'll see some guys running a common type of build but it's never the exact same thing over and over- there's always a good variety of stuff, including silly gimmicks and folks tryin' to do their own thing

hell i'm running a mage char who uses farron flashsword + soul greatsword and cleansing flame primarily and i've yet to fight anyone doing that

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 26, 2016

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Kiggles posted:

SL80 is too much of a constraint though, because there are a whole slew of builds (eg. offensive magic, heavy builds, gimmicks) that need that much for basic functionality like not fat rolling. "Just use fewer spells" or "just put up with fat roll" is hardly interesting for build variety, especially when those builds are already weaker than shieldless naked katanamans that require minimal stat investment.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Booya posted:

The gargoyle spear is pretty fuckin rad, though its mixed damage between standard and fire, its weapon art is a charge that transitions into an uppercut then a slam down that just loving explodes knocking everything away

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

actually the most common build i can think of that i've run into has been the silly gimmick greatshield thing in that one guy's vid

that thing is really hilarious and makes me glad i carry cleansing flame because it turns out that move grabs through shields and rolls

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Some fashion souls here, I absolutely love the Black Hand chest and the Cathedral knight helm is my favorite plate helm.

Question, in the second picture, which area is that building on the edge of the cliff? I can't really tell if that was a area I've been before since I could never see the boreal valley from any location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Some fashion souls here, I absolutely love the Black Hand chest and the Cathedral knight helm is my favorite plate helm.

Cathedral Knight helm goes so well with a lot of stuff. I ran with it and the Drang armor for a while because it was some cool lookin stuff.