Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've known people sold into pretty unambiguous slavery here. I'm sure that you've seen a fascinating post on stormfront about it, so we're probably on about equal footing. This is going to be a tough one, I'm gonna need some time to prepare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In Thailand, I am presented a contract written in English. I sign it or not, doesn't really matter. When I go to immigration to get my visa, I am given a stack of papers to sign. These are all in Thai. Won't sign it, they find someone else to do the job. This is my experience as a college educated westerner who has a fairly solid grasp of visa policy and labor laws governing foreigners, or about as good a grasp as a foreigner can have all things considered.

From what I remember in Taiwan, things were slightly better. But given that an unfortunate number of college educated westerners still don't seem to understand what the plain English in their contracts actually says and what labor laws actually apply to them, I have this sneaking suspicion that laborers from Southeast Asia who come from starkly different educational backgrounds may not be the most informed people in the world when it comes to what they are agreeing to. Especially if one of the premises of this argument is that they are so ignorant and culturally backwards that they don't even know not to torture and eat dogs.

That doesn't make the companies in their home countries that are headhunting them innocent, but it's tough to blame the economically disadvantaged for the decisions they make.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Spanish Matlock posted:

I've known people sold into pretty unambiguous slavery here. I'm sure that you've seen a fascinating post on stormfront about it, so we're probably on about equal footing. This is going to be a tough one, I'm gonna need some time to prepare.

"the strawmen go marching one by one hurrah hurrah"

Lemme hear more about your anecdotal evidence, though. That puts you in a very authoritative position, one that allows you to call anyone who slightly disagrees with you a literal white supremacist, never mind the fact that what we have here is East Asian and Southeast Asian issues.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

In Thailand, I am presented a contract written in English. I sign it or not, doesn't really matter. When I go to immigration to get my visa, I am given a stack of papers to sign. These are all in Thai. Won't sign it, they find someone else to do the job. This is my experience as a college educated westerner who has a fairly solid grasp of visa policy and labor laws governing foreigners, or about as good a grasp as a foreigner can have all things considered.

From what I remember in Taiwan, things were slightly better. But given that an unfortunate number of college educated westerners still don't seem to understand what the plain English in their contracts actually says and what labor laws actually apply to them, I have this sneaking suspicion that laborers from Southeast Asia who come from starkly different educational backgrounds may not be the most informed people in the world when it comes to what they are agreeing to. Especially if one of the premises of this argument is that they are so ignorant and culturally backwards that they don't even know not to torture and eat dogs.

That doesn't make the companies in their home countries that are headhunting them innocent, but it's tough to blame the economically disadvantaged for the decisions they make.

They are ignorant with respect to how things work in Taiwan and the West, yeah. If they want to eat dogs back home, then let them eat dogs. The ignorance is regarding the law here. The backasswards culture thing still stands. Not all cultures are equal, and while dog-eating isn't anywhere near FGM or honor killings or tea boys, it's certainly on the backasswards culture list.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

They are ignorant with respect to how things work in Taiwan and the West, yeah. If they want to eat dogs back home, then let them eat dogs. The ignorance is regarding the law here. The backasswards culture thing still stands. Not all cultures are equal, and while dog-eating isn't anywhere near FGM or honor killings or tea boys, it's certainly on the backasswards culture list.

Do you get how I might be a bit frustrated with your selective application of ignorance to Taiwanese laws? If they are ignorant of one set of laws to the point that intervention is necessary, then perhaps their ignorance to other areas of Taiwanese laws also necessitates intervention.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
it wasn't "that" long ago that the hookers in "Snake Alley" were aboriginal girls (sold by their families) and chained to the bed.

The situation is considered improved, because they are no longer chained.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

The single, solitary reason these people have run away is abuse, is it? You know that for a fact? Not to work under the table somewhere for more money? Not to continue working in Taiwan after their contract is up? You have a very myopic and negative view of this country you have lived for I'm guessing a big chunk of time, don't you?

Pandemonium posted:

This thread: people who sign contracts to come over and work in Taiwan are all literal slaves, to a one. In addition, what was true about slavery in America is equally true and relevant to Taiwan and its relationship with its foreign laborers. All of them.
It's a good thing you're not an English teacher.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Pandemonium posted:

I just understand the situation a bit better than most of you, I guess.

Applies to every topic Pandemonium discusses in this thread.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Let me also just preempt the inevitable response by saying

strawman strawman strawman gently caress browns strawman strawman fallacy strawman 1488 strawman strawman Taiwanese people have no agency strawman strawman hey guys have you heard of this thing called MGTOW strawman strawman 稻草人 (that means strawman)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'd probably eat a dog. I grew up on a farm though, so I don't have any weird city people disconnect between animals and meat. I mean pigs are amazing pets too, but they still taste good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'd try dog. Does this prove that white western American culture is degenerate and inferior?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Eh, it probably means that you're not desperately trying to find a easy sin to loudly and publicly hate to keep yourself from getting swept off the moral high ground by a torrent of your own poo poo terrible opinions.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

I'd love to get a cat (or two!) but I'm really worried that my apartment would be too small for them. What do you guys think:

(That's the whole thing)

i think one cat would be okay, but two might be pushing it because there's not enough room for them to hide if they don't get along and need to stake out their territory so to speak. also, you will need to find a place for the litter box to go, and that might be the most annoying part to deal with really

if you wanna go ahead with it, you should check to make sure it's okay to have a cat in your apartment, then i'd suggest going to this cat cafe in sanchong because most all their cats are up for adoption and you can hang out with them to get an idea of what they're like. also keep in mind that if that furniture is part of the apartment, it's possible that your cat might damage them

Pandemonium posted:

buncha poo poo
i'm not even going to deal with this seeing as he's going off on random tangents again based on horribly misinterpreting a few posts, as per usual

Chantilly Say posted:

I'd try dog. Does this prove that white western American culture is degenerate and inferior?

a friend told me that dog meat is kinda gross, and is really greasy and oily

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

duckfarts posted:

a friend told me that dog meat is kinda gross, and is really greasy and oily

My friend tried it twice in Vietnam and said that it's all in how it's prepared. He got some oily gross stuff one time and some kind of tasty stuff another. Carnivores usually have shittier meat for whatever reason.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

kinda gross, and is really greasy and oily

see also water in the mainland, nightmarket food, politics with chinese characteristics, the security guard in my building, some of my engineer coworkers.

But yeah, I'd re-iterate Matlock in that its in the preparation.

I'd like to know if the "darker the dog, the better the meat" thing is true - I can imagine it being self-fulfilling whereby the black dog breeds are better kept, and prepared so they end up tasting better too.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Aaaaaand the dog-eating goons are back. After several goons have pointed out that that was totally not what they were saying in their original reaction to learning that Taiwan had the gall to try to educate foreign laborers as to the illegality of dog and cat eating in this fair country no less! Apparently that is totally a terrible unconscionable thing Taiwan did, and it has hurt the feelings of all of the foreign laborers. Or has it? Do we know what their reactions are? Or are you being limp umbrage takers at their behest, posting about how terrible Taiwan is for making and disseminating a "don't eat dogs and cats here, please" video in a thread on a dead comedy forum that is read by all of ten people. Oh, and I can't forget that a lot of you totally put all ten fen into diverting the issue to Taiwanese pet abuse and abandonment issues.

(Really, I have not seen a circlejerk stronger than this thread in a good long while. )

And lol at comparing dogs to pigs. Triple them lols because one of you said you grew up on a farm. Do the pigs shepherd other animals for you? Protect you from all kinds of god knows what? Would a pig go suicide charge a bear for you? I hope that you and others in this thread whose argument for eating dog is "durr dogs are like any other animal durr" are just doing your best to provide the internet with more Poe's Law fodder.

(Again, this has nothing to do with eating to survive. And you all drat well know the foreign laborers here aren't being starved to death/malnourishment and have no other recourse to get nutrients than eat a dog.)

Spanish Matlock posted:

Eh, it probably means that you're not desperately trying to find a easy sin to loudly and publicly hate to keep yourself from getting swept off the moral high ground by a torrent of your own poo poo terrible opinions.

Nah, I'm just not deflecting the issue like everyone in this thread and trying to make it about Taiwanese animal abuse and abandonment. Sorry if you missed that amongst the flurry of poo poo posts TetsuoTW and others, myself included, have vomitted out. He totally burned me on my phone-posts' awkward grammar. That was a great post. And one that was totally on topic and worth posting on the internet, wouldn't you agree? Haven't seen that joke of a poster write anything of substance yet. It's just hamfisted, hackneyed strawman or ad hominen posts that I'm sure he chuckles at during and/or after posting them because he thinks he's a clever troll.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

I thought we'd already agreed that white western American culture is degenerate?

url posted:

I'd like to know if the "darker the dog, the better the meat" thing is true
I've never heard that phrase literally referring to dogs before.

Pandemonium posted:

(Really, I have not seen a circlejerk stronger than this thread in a good long while. )
And yet here you are, eager to be the last person to ensoggen the biscuit.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I've never heard that phrase literally referring to dogs before.

Oh, drat. I really assumed you would have heard of it.
I thought it was a very common understanding that black dogs taste the best, and then there's a whole melaninocracy thing that flows down from there.

Fwiw, I was told even before coming here that eating wild dogs was common regarded as a delicacy.
Both parents and grandparents of my friends have explained as much, on several occasions (they're old, they repeat poo poo, alot).

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Putting me amongst the circlejerk of this thread leads me to question whether or not you even know what a circlejerk is... Because I am definitely not circlejerking with you and your buddies about the plight of foreign laborers and how it's so terrible that the Taiwanese released a video to educate them about the illegality of dog and cat eating in Taiwan and how by the way Taiwanese are totally awful in how they treat their animals and a bunch of them even go so far as to abandon them and how foreign laborers in Taiwan are literally in the same situation as Africans in America were in back in the day and how an ounce of nuance on this issue makes you a white supremacist Stormfronter. Oh, and trying dog is totally cool and dogs are just like pigs or chickens or whatever so gently caress them eat them all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Putting me amongst the circlejerk of this thread leads me to question whether or not you even know what a circlejerk is... Because I am definitely not circlejerking with you and your buddies about the plight of foreign laborers and how it's so terrible that the Taiwanese released a video to educate them about the illegality of dog and cat eating in Taiwan and how by the way Taiwanese are totally awful in how they treat their animals and a bunch of them even go so far as to abandon them and how foreign laborers in Taiwan are literally in the same situation as Africans in America were in back in the day and how an ounce of nuance on this issue makes you a white supremacist Stormfronter. Oh, and trying dog is totally cool and dogs are just like pigs or chickens or whatever so gently caress them eat them all.
then why do you keep trying to be the last one to ejaculate on the biscuit if you're not even participating?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

Oh, drat. I really assumed you would have heard of it.
Oh I've heard it, but usually as a counterpart to "the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice."

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh I've heard it, but usually as a counterpart to "the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice."

ok, that's totally :3: despite everything I assume is associated with the phrase.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

dog-eating.....diverting the issue to Taiwanese pet abuse and abandonment issues

um, they're both bad, mlyp; you're the one taking the extra leap of logic

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

then why do you keep trying to be the last one to ejaculate on the biscuit if you're not even participating?

look buddy, this biscuit ain't gonna jizz on itself
where the gently caress did this soggy biscuit thing even come from anyway

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

duckfarts posted:

um, they're both bad, mlyp; you're the one taking the extra leap of logic

No, I'm the one pointing it out that it is disingenuous and just in poor faith to spin a news article about a video blah blah don't eat dogs blah into a "but really the abuse and abandonment of pets in Taiwan is what we really should be talking about" sentiment. They are both issues that need to be addressed, so why don't you all stop trying to stick up for ignorant foreign laborers and let Taiwan try to educate them on at least one law instead of rushing to their aid and saying "yo, Taiwan, make sure your house is in order first, alright? Those in glass houses yadda yadda yadda".

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Panda, I'm probably wasting my breath, but I the point is about scope and effort. Sure, I think by itself making this video is a good thing, just like making a video reminding tourists which side of the road to drive on. But it seems a bit hypocritical to spend lots of money on something that isn't a big problem versus something that is (abandonment), and smacks of racism.

You're missing the point and tilting at windmills, friend. Something something boot scratching.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:munch:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Umm, yeah, it isn't racist if these people have no concept that what they are doing is illegal and a part of the Taiwanese government is doing something to make sure they are aware that what they are doing is against the law here. How in the gently caress is that racist? Seriously. Choose your words carefulliermore, please.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Because if it was only 6 incidents in 5 years then it's making a massive generalization from a very limited sample.

Again, it's possible that there is a whole black market of dog chefs looting facebook pet pages and meticulously cataloging their dog torturing exploits that investigators are simply ignoring because it won't get them a raise at the end of the year, but I'd need to see some hard evidence of that first.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I like peeling peanuts more than popcorn

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Umm, yeah, it isn't racist if these people have no concept that what they are doing is illegal and a part of the Taiwanese government is doing something to make sure they are aware that what they are doing is against the law here. How in the gently caress is that racist? Seriously. Choose your words carefulliermore, please.

keep going i'm almost there i don't want to have to eat this loving biscuit

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

caberham posted:

I like peeling peanuts more than popcorn

I thought pumpkin seeds was the preffered snack for kan re nao'g

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

nice meltdown

i wanna bring "nice meltdown" to this thread

nice meltdown

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium has always been at war with not-melting-down-ia.

e:

url posted:

I'd go more for dried chickpeas or fresh edamame.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 26, 2016

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Are we melting down in here?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

Are we melting down in here?
It's like 1488 Chernobyls

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
He only hit 406 words with the

quote:

Aaaaaand the dog-eating goons are back.

bit against TetsuoTW, he can totally do better.

:colbert:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

url posted:

I guess in the mainland, but in Hong Kong it's 食花生. So in this case I'm just a 花生友

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

"Look at this guy writing a short paragraph in response to being called a stormfronter by some random goon (among other things). He's having a total meltdown, brah."

Like most things, your understanding of what a meltdown is is quite unimpressive. And if not understanding of then at least qualifications for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009