Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

First one doesn't count, it never came out.

Edit: and the third one is a shape matching game for toddlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Why do I have this image of a food truck outside a Dungeon between the hours of 8-9 and 12-1.

And a lich and beholder socializing in a queue, with a neo-otough behind staring at a food run list.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The Space Food Truck game seemed really promising, as it was basically just a standard deckbuilder in video game form. Unfortunately, the design is horrific and even more of a random crapshoot than even games like Legendary/Ascension.

Its also far too easy to wind up in a death spiral early on, as there are few to no ways to thin or remove bad cards from your deck, and its possible to lock yourself out of the ability to leave your current location and become unable to purchase cards that are dead filler, making your draws even worse. In response to the feedback, the designers saw people getting stuck with too many useless filler cards in their hand, and decided that obviously the useless filler was too attractive, and that must be why players kept buying them. So they made them even more detrimental in addition to clogging up your hand.

Tl;dr its a game made by people who copied the idea of a deckbuilder but have no ability to design a game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SaviourX posted:

That food truck game sounds like something I am going to be into. Maybe make a design challenge here and over in BGG?

O/T: Canada has donair (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Canada) in every mid to large city, which is a kind of greek/leb fusion of things. Along with shawarma; it rules.

Given that the concept took me ~3 minutes to cook up with the prompts: Food Truck and Euro, I'm sure someone with more experience could whip up something better.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
My gut reaction is still "do it in FATE/PbtA" so maybe I'll get a jokey playbook rolling once AW2e drops.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, but like a good one.

Concepts don't usually take long at all to come up with, it's all design and iteration and balance.

And then sweet, sweet component crafting.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Please kickstart my new game about Goblins running illegal food carts while being pursued by fine dining paladins I will make miniatures.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gnome7 posted:

I wish doner kebabs were more common because they're delicious. We've got em but you can only find them in the big cities, usually in food trucks. You can get a Gyro almost anywhere though and that's almost the same thing.

In the fine Scottish tradition of fast food, there's a takeaway in Perth that makes Thai style doner kebab pizzas.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Continuing the Mexican food derail, for anyone in the Chicago area, I highly recommend Burrito Parrilla Mexicana in Lombard. They are mouth wateringly great and they have the best horchata I have ever tasted. No lie, when I go to Adepticon, I look forward to going there more than the con itself.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Continuing the Mexican food derail, for anyone in the Chicago area, I highly recommend Burrito Parrilla Mexicana in Lombard. They are mouth wateringly great and they have the best horchata I have ever tasted. No lie, when I go to Adepticon, I look forward to going there more than the con itself.

They just put one of these on the Carol Stream/Wheaton border and I haven't gone yet because I am a trash person.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm not going out to the burbs for Mexican food, I've got multiple great options in my neighborhood.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dammit, I'm literally on a blue line train heading to O'Hare so I can fly back to London.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The_Doctor posted:

Dammit, I'm literally on a blue line train heading to O'Hare so I can fly back to London.

There's a Frontera in one of the terminals so you can at least get a torta on your way out maybe (all threads are now about Chicago forever.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Take the food derail to the chat thread!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also stop making me hungry for food I can't have here in the barren midwest. :(

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also stop making me hungry for food I can't have here in the barren midwest. :(

I wish my relatives in the midwest would stop trying to take me out for "Mexican" because it's always loving terrible

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Not sure if this has been posted, but there's a new cyberpunk PBTA game called The Veil on KS right now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/samjokopublishing/the-veil-cyberpunk-rpg/description

Has decent art at least.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Another one? :v: Thats what, six or so now?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I remember a time when PbtA was a fresh approach and not the d20 of indie games

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Talk to me about Santorini and whether I want/don't want it. Apparently I starred it a while back, and forgot about it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Art looks good. Reality as the "layer that is difficult to get to" rather than the spirit world(s) in WoD is an interesting concept.

Is there a good PbtA podcast that explains the mechanics?

Edit: right there on the kickstarter page :negative:

Edit: $13 for an expected 250 page pdf? Pretty good

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 26, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Savage Worlds: Rifts kickstarter will be launching at noon Eastern today.

Basic digital pricing is $15 for the player's guide, and $45 for a "GM's package" of three books, an adventure, and GM screen inserts.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Quests of Valeria just launched, which is the third game in their trilogy of Valeria-based card games.
$17+shipping ($3 in US)

I like the idea of a series of games with different mechanics taking place in the same setting, so I'm all for this one.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The_Doctor posted:

Talk to me about Santorini and whether I want/don't want it. Apparently I starred it a while back, and forgot about it.

I mocked up the game with some cheap blocks from a crafts store and have played several games, both with and without some of the variable player powers. I really enjoy the game, and I think it will be a go-to for a short two-player strategy game for a long time, alongside the likes of 7 Wonders Duel, Hive, and recent release Onitama for me. The presentation is fantastic and the cost of the game on KS is partially paying a premium for those components, but even without all the flair the gameplay holds up nicely.

I think in a standard game without player powers, first turn advantage is substantial, but once you start mixing in alternate ways to move, interact, and even win, things skew a lot to a much more balanced feeling experience. Some of the God Card matchups are just bad, heavily favoring one side or another, but luckily the games are short enough that it's rarely an issue. Every time I've pulled it out to teach someone I've ended up playing 3-5 games back-to-back with different characters each time. I've also only played with a randomly dealt single character; I think there's a lot of space to explore with regards to the God Card distribution. Deal 3 Choose 1, or some sort of elimination draft. I think swapping characters with someone but keeping the turn order is an interesting way to approach things as well, if you're willing to do a best-of-3 type game in a competitive/tournament setting or something.

tl;dr: Really solid abstract gameplay, beautiful components that add but aren't a crutch, tons of replayability. Would recommend.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Evil Mastermind posted:

Savage Worlds: Rifts kickstarter will be launching at noon Eastern today.

Basic digital pricing is $15 for the player's guide, and $45 for a "GM's package" of three books, an adventure, and GM screen inserts.

This launched and doubled its funding goal in less than ten minutes.

Here's the link.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Savge Rifts is up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sent over a message inquiring who the authors are. Tom Ross Watson and Sean Patrick Fannon are mentioned, but it's not clear if they're the main authors (but they probably are).

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 26, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It just hit me that there's a bit of a "Kevin Sembedia:Savage Rifts::George Lucas:Force Awakens" thing here. Like, they made something cool, and we're grateful, but at the same time...they need to just not be here when we're making the new stuff because they don't have the needed skillset.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Massive :siren: Palladium and Siembieda alert :siren: understand and accept the risk before backing

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

NTRabbit posted:

Massive :siren: Palladium and Siembieda alert :siren: understand and accept the risk before backing

For what it's worth given this factor, they have assured that they're already in final proofing for the books and ready to deliver PDFs pretty promptly and Kevin has been quoted as having already been involved in proofing throughout and is purportedly pleased with what they've put together.

Kevin Micromanage Siembieda posted:

"Savage Rifts® for Savage Worlds® rules

The more we see, the more we like. The release of the Savage Rifts® game line from Pinnacle Entertainment is promising to be pretty awesome. Sorry, I can’t say too much except we are getting excited about it as it all comes together. We’ve been reviewing and approving artwork, covers, text and so on. I even wrote a forward a week or so ago.

By Kevin Siembieda"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Knowing Fannon, I can only imagine he's keeping Siembieda constantly inebriated for the whole process.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

He's said similar things about projects before, and then all of a sudden, "Oops! Sorry, what I actually meant to say is that it just wasn't meeting my expectations, so I took over the project and now I'm going to be doing it myself." *cue clusterfuck*

So it's not worth very much, to be honest.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GaistHeidegger posted:

This launched and doubled its funding goal in less than ten minutes.

Here's the link.

:laugh: oh boy

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Why are all of the coolest RPG ideas garbage loving games ugh

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GaistHeidegger posted:

For what it's worth given this factor, they have assured that they're already in final proofing for the books and ready to deliver PDFs pretty promptly and Kevin has been quoted as having already been involved in proofing throughout and is purportedly pleased with what they've put together.

NTRabbit posted:

He lies through his loving teeth in every single Robotech update, and in every single newsletter about this book and that book. His word is completely worthless, and there's a good chance he'll try and gently caress the project to steal the money, because Palladium has spent all the Robotech money and still owes backers over half a million in product.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

I mean if we're talking about Rifts I'll take the controversial stance that Rifts isn't even a cool RPG idea. "Cram all your toys in the toybox and shake vigorously" isn't actually a concept with a lot of legs imo, I feel the same about any setting where the MO is to basically stuff a zillion things in a blender and pour the resultant glop onto a page. Ninjas and zombies and vampires and robots and power armor and aliens and dragons and magic and psychics and Nazis and mutants and gods and demons and cyborgs and who even cares anymore.

Rifts was probably seen as amazing back in the day when the RPG hobby was like a half dozen variations of Ye Olde Dungeone Crawlere and, like, Cyborg Commando or Buck Rogers or something. Nowadays nothing about it is that special, so this new Rifts-in-another-system business is about 20 years too late.

(Also I think Savage Worlds is a pretty boring system too, so)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Man, PDF stretch goals are worthless to me. I'll wait for retail.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

alg posted:

Man, PDF stretch goals are worthless to me. I'll wait for retail.

Waiting for retail is also the smart play here because, again, Kevin Sembieda is a notorious fuckup who still has the Robotech Tactics debacle hanging over his head.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

S.J. posted:

As an Ideas Guy, let me tell you that it is because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

From all appearances Pinnacle outlined the project and had a lot of input, though the actual penning seems to be through Evil Beagle Games- the authors I mentioned earlier. Fannon, the main writer, is an industry schmoozer mainly known for Shaintar, his high fantasy setting for Savage Worlds. Watson is probably be best known for his work on the Warhammer lines for Fantasy Flight, but he also worked on Accursed along with goon author CroatianAlzheimers.

Fannon, Watson, and PEG have all run successful kickstarters and I don't think there's much to fear. There's always the possibility that Siembieda will lose his goddamned mind, but I think a more realistic worry is whether or not the project will see further support after this.

• Locked thread