Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I've probably invaded 50 times and been invaded 20 times and I haven't seen a single miracle being used except for heal, and then only once or twice.

ive been using replenishment and gentle blessing pre-fight. 11 regen is cool

this is early game though and probably doesn't scale for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm having this super bad stutter problem ever since the patch came out and thats why I dont really play this game as much as I want to. :emo:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

Nope most of them suck balls unfortunately.

I don't believe you.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This game is so badass.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Fighting NK with your friend is so much fun.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't believe you.

I've been playing a high faith character and I agree they suck.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well thats unacceptable.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I didn't think I would ever run into anything less fun to fight than multiple dogs, but these double dagger snake head guys take the cake!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a lot of insanely good miracles like the one that lets you take fatal damage and survive once before recasting but you can't cast miracles and do nothing else like DS2.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I don't want to do that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't want to do that.

Then you will enjoy the extremely powerful buffs miracles can offer you.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well, I'm also going to use Wrath of the Gods... Hype!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

"Indeed, we've received feedback that Bloodborne early game was too difficult and many inexperienced players were frustrated. Therefore Dark Souls 3 early game difficulty was toned down to guide players into the game. Of course veterans will feel it's too easy but they should be satisfied with late game difficulty."

lol loving crybabies

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I hate casuals more than anything in my life.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Also, please link full interview

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

"On April 23rd, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Taiwan invited Hidetaka Miyazaki to Taiwan for a press event. Taiwan gaming site GNN asked him several questions.

Source link - http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/2/130902.html

I will try to translate a few key questions. My Chinese is not very good so feel free to correct me.

Q: The central theme of Dark Souls is fire. Fire represents life and death. Why did you choose fire as the symbol of the game?

A: There are two reasons for this. We didn't use light as the symbol of the game because light gives off an 'absolute' kind of vibe. It represents strong and unwavering positive imagery. Fire, compared to light, gives people an unreal and wavering impression. Fire also represents dual properties like hot and cold, light and dark, life and death. The uncertainty of Fire is more suited to the world of Dark Souls in my mind.

Q: Previously, the protagonist was called 'Undead', in Dark Souls 3 he/she is called 'Unkindled'. What is the difference between the two?

A: Dark Souls 1's protagnist is Undead, its story is about linking the fire. But Dark Souls 3 depicts the Undeads who didn't succeed in linking the fire and become cinder, but failed and burned to nothing. Unkindled is born out of their remaining ashes. Unkindled exist to inherit the past and put an end to this cumulative tale.

Q: Dark Souls is known for its difficulty. How did you balance the game so players can feel the high difficulty but won't give up because of it?

A: When I balance games, I always emphasize on fairness over difficulty. I will not punish the player for no reason. For example when I'm placing enemies, I will not put a lot of enemies on a dead end road to overwhelm the player. I would put them in a blind spot to ambush the players who aren't careful. So player would feel: 'oh it's my fault I died here, but I can do this if I try again'. Let players learn from their mistakes, overcome obstacles and feel the sense of accomplishment.

Q: But people feel in Dark Souls 3 the difficulty of boss battles was toned down. Was the difficulty adjusted this time?

A: Indeed, we've received feedback that Bloodborne early game was too difficult and many inexperienced players were frustrated. Therefore Dark Souls 3 early game difficulty was toned down to guide players into the game. Of course veterans will feel it's too easy but they should be satisfied with late game difficulty.

Q: Is there any plan to collect feedback and make adjustments in the form of updates?

A: Of course we are always balancing the game. In fact we have several updates out already. But game balancing is very difficult and we often receive harsh feedback from the players. But we will keep listening and make adjustment as needed. The latest update will be out in a few weeks.

Q: How many DLCs will there be?

A: We will make three large DLCs as planned. First one will be out in Fall 2016, Second one in Early 2017, Third one doesn't have a date yet.

Q: Many story elements in Dark Souls 3 directly relate to the first game. Did you envision there will be sequels when you were first designing Dark Souls 1?

A: Actually one of my hobbies is to design settings and lore. When I was making the first game I already had the whole picture in my mind. The entire design is pretty big and it took three games to fit everything in. Honestly I didn't know we could go all the way to the third game.

Q: I know you said there won't be any sequels and Dark Souls 3 marks the end of the series. But is this world really coming to an end? Is there a chance there would be some kind of DLC, spin-offs or tie-in novels set in this world?

A: Dark Souls 3 will be have several DLCs like previous games. But there's absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can't say for certain the possibility is 0%.

For example, if a FROM Software developer come to me five years from now and beg 'please let me make another Dark Souls'. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project.

What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over. So rather than make another sequel, I think it's time we take a step to a new direction. Development of a new IP has already begun.

Q: In the industry, a popular serialized IP will always have many sequels to keep the 'momentum' going. What made you decide to stop this popular franchise?

A: Actually I don't think sequels is a bad thing. There are examples of a sequel becoming a great game by building on experiences gained from previous games. To have a popular franchise is a great thing. On the other hand, At what point do you stop a series? How do you do it? It's not an easy decision to make.

But for us, rather than making sequels, we FROM Software want to make new things and challenge the unknown. At the moment it's too early to tell if what we are doing is right, maybe the result will reveal itself in five or ten years from now.

Q: So we won't be seeing a Demons's Souls sequel or remaster any time soon?

A: We want to try making new things.

Q: What about Armored Core sequel?

A: Personally I want to do it. After all I was involved in three games in the series. Armored Core is one of the pillars of FROM Software's lineup, but I can't reveal anything at the moment.

Q: Souls series is over for now. What kind of experience has this journey been for you?

A: Looking back now, I think it's a fortunate and blessed journey. I was given an opportunity, I walked this path with BANDAI NAMCO, FROM Software team and the players together. There are many touching memories along the way. A game like Souls, where there's no map, you die in a few steps and nobody knows what's going on, for this game to become such a beloved franchise via word of mouth, I feel like I'm such a lucky man. These past six, seven years is a treasured time period for me. I couldn't even imagine where I am today ten years ago. For this journey to not go to waste, I'm going on another fortunate journey and make better games to repay people's support.

Q: Miyazaki is not just a game direct but the president of FROM as well. People love your games very much but does the responsibilities of company president hinder your involvement in game development in the future?

A: I can guarantee, I will stay as a game director for at least another five years. To be honest I entered the game industry not because I want to be a president, but because I like to make games. I find making games more fun. If I'm not allowed to make games then I rather not be a president.

Of course, as a president I make necessary decisions and judgement. It might be cliched but FROM Software is a great company. Because BANDAI NAMCO and SIE and our parent company Kadokawa are very good to us, I can just focus on making games and let other people handle president affairs. I really appreciate everyone's forgiveness for letting me do this.

Q: What's your definition of 'game'? What does 'game' mean to you?

A: I think fundamentally game is built on 'action'. For example, pressing a button on the controller call be called an 'action', but if there's a purpose for this action of pressing buttons, then it's called a 'game'. An action without an purpose can only be called 'work', action with purpose brings 'possibilities'.

I think games should let players discover possibilities and feel a sense of accomplishment. This kind of experience can only be achieved with games. That is why I'm so enthralled by making games and often lose myself in it."

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just got to 35 Faith so I can use Lightning Stake and it does less damage than my weapon whilst also being a lot slower.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Aston posted:

I just got to 35 Faith so I can use Lightning Stake and it does less damage than my weapon whilst also being a lot slower.

Faith soft cap is 60.. Start Grinding my friend.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you Hole Pisser.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
3 DLCs and a new IP. Blessed be

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

net cafe scandal posted:

Faith soft cap is 60.. Start Grinding my friend.

Interesting. Unreleated, where's the NPC that lets you respec?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

HolePisser1982 posted:

"Indeed, we've received feedback that Bloodborne early game was too difficult and many inexperienced players were frustrated. Therefore Dark Souls 3 early game difficulty was toned down to guide players into the game. Of course veterans will feel it's too easy but they should be satisfied with late game difficulty."

lol loving crybabies

good lord people are retards

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Aston posted:

Interesting. Unreleated, where's the NPC that lets you respec?

Its Rosaria, in the Cathedral, but you can gently caress up Sirris' questline by joining her covenant if you havent already.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
i really like when people compare the original japanese with the english translation. someone did it for ds3, so enjoy: http://00tn2.blogspot.ca/2016/04/dark-souls-3.html

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'll be bummed if there really are no more souls games because they are literally the best games ever made. on the other hand, souls would be the last series I would ever want to see become tired or stale from a near limitless number of sequels and tie ins. I suppose in order to break the unending cycle of yearly releases which may see the games burn out (link the fire ending) we must live in a world without souls games (dark lord ending)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol loving crybabies

well, the later game is nice. but what i dont like is how easy ng+ is.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I hope there are more Pomtiff hard bosses besides nameless King, who I've heard all the hype about.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I hope there are more Pomtiff hard bosses besides nameless King, who I've heard all the hype about.

one or two. the pontiff is the best though

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well, theyll probably put some really hard ones in the DLC. I wouldn't even mind if they got a little lazy and made a version of Yhorm without the Storm King stuff

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
At least Bloodborne 2 is guaranteed because first game sold well

I don't mind DS3 being the last Souls game because the series would end on a p high note. Good thing there's DLC tho

I'd love to see something completely new from from

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
My biggest bummer reading that interview is that there's no Demon Souls remaster coming.

It's the only one I haven't played (never had a PS3) and I feel like it's been rumored off-and-on for like two years now. Everyone else is cashing in on this HD remaster poo poo, except for the one time it would be a really good idea and bring the game to a bunch of people who never played it. :negative:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
demon souls doesnt need remastering, im not sure what that would actually achieve. but a ps4 release would be nice though

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So apparently poise is completely hosed in the game? It appears From just has disabled poise effect on damage calculation altogether in DS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

Seems like a pretty dumb idea, making heavy armor builds worthless. My first playthrough was reliant on dodging so it made sense to dress light but my 2nd playthrough was supposed to be about being a big immovable rock so this is sad news

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
well, the wolf ring is in the game, so surely theres still some purpose for it. frankly ive never really relied on armour anyway

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

I.N.R.I posted:

demon souls doesnt need remastering, im not sure what that would actually achieve. but a ps4 release would be nice though

I mean, I'd take a straight port, that'd be fine. I know people hate the World Tendency or something like that, so they could probably fix it.

I'll probably break down and buy a cheap PS3 this summer after I've put 100+ hours into DS3.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its worth buying a ps3 for, i think. it goes on sale for like 5 dollars on the psn store a lot so it wont cost you anything on top of the ps3. and the ps1/ps2 classics you can play on a ps3 are nice.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

i think my current character is going faith so i can use darkmoon blade/lighting blade/that magic blade that makes you regen but none of the other miracles i've seen have made me stop and think "wow cool i should deffo use this"

Lightning blade is insanely strong, the buff you get from the first rank in the Sunbros is also really really powerful, and theres a dark miracle buff that gives you a little boost to everything. My current character rolls with all 3 and when they're all active it's absolutely nuts

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I hope the secret third DLC is a bunch of beards, brows, and hairdos for the character creator

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bought a PS3 for DeS and don't regret it. plus the PS3 has a great back catalog that i'll explore once i finish putting hundreds of hours into DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish the bushiest beards and eyebrows didn't crash the character model viewport every time I view them

• Locked thread