Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I figure I'd ask the Fallout 4 mod thread if anyone has heard about Steam possibly resurrecting the paid mods thing?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/rumor-valve-preparing-to-attempt-paid-mods-on-steam-again-3436324

The fact that the GECK is taking so long to come out due to Steam Workshop integration and now this move has me very worried.

Edit: Better article http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...%20Into%20Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I doubt it, considering the reception they got the first time they attempted it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

I figure I'd ask the Fallout 4 mod thread if anyone has heard about Steam possibly resurrecting the paid mods thing?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/rumor-valve-preparing-to-attempt-paid-mods-on-steam-again-3436324

The fact that the GECK is taking so long to come out due to Steam Workshop integration and now this move has me very worried.

Edit: Better article http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...%20Into%20Steam

I suspect that Valve has wanted paid mods as a standard since they released the Workshop, just like the community market where you sell cards or what not. And, more power to the modders that might be able to make some money.

Let's just hope that Valve learned from the last time and provides tools for authorship that can make the mods exclusive to a single author. If they don't, I'll be it winds up exactly the same as last time.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or proper duct tape

A real wastelander would use vegan organic tatos chewed into a sticky paste by the crafter themself. :smug:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Providing an option to sell a mod is a good thing given how much time and effort a large amount of modders spend on making their mods and a decent implementation of a system on steam would be a good thing to have, honestly. The implementation they had before was really poor in a lot of ways, unfortunately, and that added on top of your standard entitlement about not wanting to pay for a thing you got free before led to possibly the worst first impression you could have on the subject.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Dropping it out of the blue all of a sudden didn't really help matters for the positives of the idea.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Cantorsdust posted:

as someone who has used the new creation kit, the delays have nothing to do with steam/valve. Also nothing ive seen even allows it to hook into workshop.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

How do you set an NPC to essential? Every time I try it it says "Missing parameter base ID" or something like that, even though I've got them selected and I put in their ID so my command looks like: SetEssential ff00fahlkjsdh 1. I've tried all sorts of brackets around the ID, and the [PP] at the end of the ID. Nothing works.

The NPC is a robot I've made, if that matters.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure that Bethesda has said that they're not even going to use the Steam Workshop for Fallout 4, instead they're building their own site for it (which will presumably also be used for mods on consoles, however that's going to work).

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Veotax posted:

I'm pretty sure that Bethesda has said that they're not even going to use the Steam Workshop for Fallout 4, instead they're building their own site for it (which will presumably also be used for mods on consoles, however that's going to work).

This is accurate.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

How do you set an NPC to essential? Every time I try it it says "Missing parameter base ID" or something like that, even though I've got them selected and I put in their ID so my command looks like: SetEssential ff00fahlkjsdh 1. I've tried all sorts of brackets around the ID, and the [PP] at the end of the ID. Nothing works.
You need to input the Base ID, just like the error says.

When you create a NPC, the form you create is the BaseID. It's also sometimes referred to as the prototype form. If you then place that NPC in the world (either via a plugin, or ingame by spawning it in via the console), the form that handles that is called a RefID. Each unique placement has its own RefID.
If you select something ingame with the console you always get the RefID. The one you got there is one dynamically allocated by the game as it starts with "FF" (meaning it only exists in your save file).

Using the console command Help "<NPC name>" should return the BaseID.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Raygereio posted:

You need to input the Base ID, just like the error says.

When you create a NPC, the form you create is the BaseID. It's also sometimes referred to as the prototype form. If you then place that NPC in the world (either via a plugin, or ingame by spawning it in via the console), the form that handles that is called a RefID. Each unique placement has its own RefID.
If you select something ingame with the console you always get the RefID. The one you got there is one dynamically allocated by the game as it starts with "FF" (meaning it only exists in your save file).

Using the console command Help "<NPC name>" should return the BaseID.

Thank you!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of mods and console, what's going to happen once mods start leaning heavily on F4SE? Bethesda just going to leave consoles in the dust?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

QuantaStarFire posted:

Speaking of mods and console, what's going to happen once mods start leaning heavily on F4SE? Bethesda just going to leave consoles in the dust?

There are always going to be mods that are not feasible for consoles to utilize. That won't be 'Bethesda' leaving them in the dust, but the modding community itself.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or proper duct tape

It's supposed to be duct tape orz

I guess I gotta redo the model huh. Does it look too stiff? Too hard?

Edit-

Here's it in first person. I'll try making the duct tape straps wider and see if that makes it look any better. I'm using Bethesda's texture / normal / spec map for it

Also trying to figure out why direct sun-light just 100% bleaches out all detail on the weapon.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 24, 2016

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So the GECK has hit, anything good happen yet?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wrr posted:

Too narrow. The current strips look about a fingerwidth wide, should be 2-3.
Also too neat. Typically when using tape you go around several times with the layers mostly overlapping.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
2 bit of info caught my eye, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/12770/ Opening up some buildings, giving them interiours. awesome, we talked about this here a long time ago.
and the other? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/12770/ tldr, nmm will work when 1.5 and the F4CK drop, make a profile now and export your load order. Mod Organiser may be fine as well. but check in any case.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

those are both the same link, my friend

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

staberind posted:

2 bit of info caught my eye, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/12770/ Opening up some buildings, giving them interiours. awesome, we talked about this here a long time ago.
and the other? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/12770/ tldr, nmm will work when 1.5 and the F4CK drop, make a profile now and export your load order. Mod Organiser may be fine as well. but check in any case.

this is old news, all you have to do is put * in front of any esp/esm in the plugins.txt and they work just fine. its not really a big accomplishment for NMM or MO2 to make it do this automatically. currently using 196 mod esp/esm files with no problems.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do we have any idea on how far out the GEck is realistically?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

LumberingTroll posted:

this is old news, all you have to do is put * in front of any esp/esm in the plugins.txt and they work just fine. its not really a big accomplishment for NMM or MO2 to make it do this automatically. currently using 196 mod esp/esm files with no problems.

Yeah, this is about the actual 1.5 not the beta,
the asteriscs * are to use mods in..... the beta.

255, I am just crunching some weapon mods together, want to just melt them into the weapons crafting benchie.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wrr posted:

Edit-

Here's it in first person. I'll try making the duct tape straps wider and see if that makes it look any better. I'm using Bethesda's texture / normal / spec map for it

Also trying to figure out why direct sun-light just 100% bleaches out all detail on the weapon.

Width is the main problem, and the pieces are unnaturally evenly placed. Here's an ingame example:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3c/Fallout4-Remington-1.jpg/600px-Fallout4-Remington-1.jpg

Also, for some reason, it looks like the tape is... inset into the handles? Something about the normals makes it look like it's dented in.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Wrr posted:

Edit-

A weapon like that is gonna wobble a ton when you swing it and lose a lot of energy because the hammer is attached to the stick so far down the handle. Get some tape up around the neck of that sucker.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

staberind posted:

Yeah, this is about the actual 1.5 not the beta,
the asteriscs * are to use mods in..... the beta.

255, I am just crunching some weapon mods together, want to just melt them into the weapons crafting benchie.

You think the release is somehow going to be different than the beta? :confused: The CK beta, is the same as the current open beta, just with CK access. Any mod not laoded through the Bethesda Launcher (CK mod platform) needs to have an * in front of it.

Someone needs to come along and make a weapons mega mod compilation so I can just use one esp for sure, with support for Armor and Weapon KW, and See-Through-Scopes and The Weapons Mods mod, and Extended Weapon Mods, and... damnit...

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 24, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Really, wmm, awkw, scopes, legendary mod, xmod, and craftable ammo should just be one mod with optional components.

I realize that's way easier said than done. But user end its way stupid using so much space for things that effect the same part of the game

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

Really, wmm, awkw, scopes, legendary mod, xmod, and craftable ammo should just be one mod with optional components.

I realize that's way easier said than done. But user end its way stupid using so much space for things that effect the same part of the game

yeah, and the opposite is also true, homemaker could be more modular, I think the reason there are so few merged mods around is really down to personal preference. its not difficult, its just a bit tedious.
however, I found a script that adds keywords automatically in xedit and it looks like i am almost intelligent enough to alter it to add different poo poo.

LumberingTroll posted:

You think the release is somehow going to be different than the beta? :confused: The CK beta, is the same as the current open beta, just with CK access. Any mod not laoded through the Bethesda Launcher (CK mod platform) needs to have an * in front of it.

Someone needs to come along and make a weapons mega mod compilation so I can just use one esp for sure, with support for Armor and Weapon KW, and See-Through-Scopes and The Weapons Mods mod, and Extended Weapon Mods, and... damnit...

Ive not tried the ck yet, so I actually have no idea, I just tried the beta and am aware of workaround, I assume that the asterisk thing is just for the beta,
because submitting bug reports with mods can be counter-productive.
yeah, I am adding a&w kw support plus legendary weapons kw as well. toying with the idea of any mod any weapon,
but i want it to work and be a simple space saver, so going to keep the feature creep to minimum.
I will add practically every weapon I can find to the single esp, but then just copy that and delete what I don't feel like using.
oh, nmm just updated.

seems to be ok, now Armor oh ghod.

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 25, 2016

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What do you guys think of it now? I listened to some of your advice and it does look MUCH better. The bottom most piece of tape has the UVs set so you can't see the tab to the end of the piece of duct tape. In your opinion, would it look better if it was similar to the pieces at the top?

There is a ton of z-fighting on the other side but uh, don't worry about it. I'll take care of it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

What do you guys think of it now? I listened to some of your advice and it does look MUCH better. The bottom most piece of tape has the UVs set so you can't see the tab to the end of the piece of duct tape. In your opinion, would it look better if it was similar to the pieces at the top?

There is a ton of z-fighting on the other side but uh, don't worry about it. I'll take care of it.

Yeah, it looks better with the width and detail now.
quick question, is the head of the mallet modeled separately from the handle? cos if you do that, you can scale them a little separately, and just add the head as a mod to any mod any weapon, same with the handle.

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 25, 2016

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Wrr posted:

What do you guys think of it now?

What this guy said:

Magmarashi posted:

A weapon like that is gonna wobble a ton when you swing it and lose a lot of energy because the hammer is attached to the stick so far down the handle. Get some tape up around the neck of that sucker.

I think you misunderstood, I think he meant something like this;

Note the tape is right at the highest point on the tenderizer. So your newer version is virtually the same kinetically as the old one, but the hammer has moved up the pole, which effectively puts it in a worse place than where it was previously (because it can't be fastened/secured now at the highest point).

Basically imagine this was real and you had my version and yours, and you put your hand on the metal head of the tenderizer and tried to wiggle it back and forth; which one do you think would be more secure?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I don't think duct tape would hold up enough under the repeated strain of bashing things two handed. A more practical solution might be to use a metal pipe as a sleeve/coupler, slipped over the tenderizer handle & the top of the pole, then drilled through both & screwed or bolted to keep it from slipping off. Plus it keeps the head inline with your hands, so the weapon won't want to twist when you hit something with it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I used really strong duct tape. Industrial grade stuff.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

I don't think duct tape would hold up enough under the repeated strain of bashing things two handed. A more practical solution might be to use a metal pipe as a sleeve/coupler, slipped over the tenderizer handle & the top of the pole, then drilled through both & screwed or bolted to keep it from slipping off. Plus it keeps the head inline with your hands, so the weapon won't want to twist when you hit something with it.

Or a super sledge, replace the head of a super sledge with this.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Put it at the business end of a power fist so I can call my right hand Meat Masher and mean something entirely different for once

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, you can just put screws through it and wrap duct tape around it to give it a better grip. (Does look MUCH more duct tapey though. I think I like the way the bottom one looks better than the top)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The newer duct tape is a huge improvement, but like others said it's still gonna wobble if it's not taped closer to the head.

Personally I'd probably cover the whole thing in tape, no point skimping on it if you want it to hold.

E: Went googling for an image to give an example, this was the best I could find:

Basically, don't go with the single strips of tape like you've got now at all, but more of a covering like in this pic all along the hammer's handle.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 26, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Woebin posted:

The newer duct tape is a huge improvement, but like others said it's still gonna wobble if it's not taped closer to the head.

Personally I'd probably cover the whole thing in tape, no point skimping on it if you want it to hold.

Yeah I used to have to duct tape paint rollers to handles and you have to go NUTS with it to get it to stay on

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally, what we have all been waiting for, a little bit of Europe in Fallout 4 https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12362/
Slick.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Todd "the Modd" Howard here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdGr8MH4pPU

(no date lol)

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 26, 2016

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Todd "the Modd" Howard here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdGr8MH4pPU

(no date lol)

Mods are in open beta now though. We can all download the Creation Kit and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010
Getting really bad vibes from this Bethesda launcher thingy.

• Locked thread