Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Has anyone here experimented with daggers?

I really really want to use the Harpe as it's perfect for my Velka-themed dex character, but it deals almost no damage, no bleed and no poise. I tried out the Bandit's Knife and it feels like I can actually kill stuff since eventually they'll bleed and take a chunk of damage. It's still incredibly bad compared to basically anything else but at least it kinda works, so I'm wondering if maybe I could Bleed infuse the Harpe? Of course, that runs into the same problem that a lot of potential gimmick runs do in this game; you can't do that until waaay into the game.

I also have no idea how to make use of the Quickstep ability since I'm pretty much required to keep a shield in my left hand for parrying, in order to actually kill stuff (since a bunch of enemies in this game are immune to backstabs).

As an addendum to this, there's nothing like DS2's Stone Ring that'll let me stagger enemies with my piddly dagger, right?

e: if I'm gonna rely on bleed for damage, should I pump my luck or is that purely for really gimmicky builds?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 26, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

What are the more interesting zones to PvP in at lower levels anyways, I'm nearly ready to finish up my first run and try out a dramatically different setup. Any good level ranges/zones to keep in mind?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MZ posted:

So forgive me for not reading the 1000 posts a day this thread gets, but does Poise not work at all then??

It feels like armour does nothing and I've had a few NPC/Player fights where the piddly rapier could stunlock a dude for a fair bit regardless of how huge their armour is.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What are the better damage dealing miracles in this game? Besides Sunlight Spear, I suppose. Id like to run with a few buffs and a damage dealer to keep PVP guys on their toes.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

net cafe scandal posted:

What are the better damage dealing miracles in this game? Besides Sunlight Spear, I suppose. Id like to run with a few buffs and a damage dealer to keep PVP guys on their toes.

dragonslayer swordspear l2

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My heart belongs to the dragonslayer regular spear.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luceid posted:

dragonslayer swordspear l2

I was in a fight club with a guy using this the other day and it does ridiculous damage. I couldn't see any way to avoid it, either.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Golden Goat posted:

It feels like armour does nothing and I've had a few NPC/Player fights where the piddly rapier could stunlock a dude for a fair bit regardless of how huge their armour is.

That was my biggest complaint of DS2 PVP. It isn't as bad as DS2 poise was, but poise is still fairly weak. It will only last 2 or 3 hits, even with beefier armor. In DS2 you could 2 hand a dagger and just stunlock everyone. It was hilarious and infuriating. Still, having the poise to last 2 hits is better than 0 hits. I miss being a loving tank like in DS1. Just keep on trucking through a rain of blows.

I want to say it is easierto be staggered in certain circumstances(running, swinging) but I can't remember.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeeelp

helllllp.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

heeeelp

helllllp.

Keep playing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Turtlicious posted:

heeeelp

helllllp.

Git gud and put that many hours into One Finger Death Punch :colbert:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I AM BRAWW posted:

Why have they removed the whole break a tail to get a piece from the games lately it makes me sad

Gearing up for the FROM monster hunter game, duh

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
please, I can only get so erect

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Why have they removed the whole break a tail to get a piece from the games lately it makes me sad

I nearly died to the consumed king because I did about 70% of its health bar by hitting the tail before I gave up on it coming off

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please tell me that Lothric Castle isn't a big zone because it's beating the poo poo out of me

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Kiggles posted:

But it doesn't even work for PvE! I wouldn't have any particular problem with this setup, I mean I would still get raging mad about thrusting swords, but aside from a little bit of retooling with weapon damage, the PvP isn't terrible with effectively a 0 poise mechanic. But poo poo, at least let me poise through NPCs in PvE.

Oh no no no, not for the player. For the enemies, that have 1000+ poise and cant be staggered is what I mean by "its used for PVE."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Monsters should be more powerful than men.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lothric + the next area which is technically still part of the castle is a fairly big area full of tough enemies, I'm afraid.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
From get's a evil boner by making fun of us..

Oh yea so uhh in Dks1 you can break tails to get some epic Fkin weapons. Hell u can break the tail of a covenant leader to get his fkin awesome wep. Dark souls 2? eh. Dark souls 3? no.

So in Dark souls 1 there's a fkton of illusory walls.. some that bring u to ENTIRE hidden optional areas.. Dark Souls 2? hope u realized that all the illusory walls are opened by pressing "A" on the controller when ur up to them :D :D :D DArk souls 3? lol jokes we're back at slashing walls to open them, hope u didn't try to press A on walls for the game.

Chests? ya.. sometimes mimics in Darksouls 1.. dark souls 3? hope u'r buying every undead unter charm.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I stopped using the Longsword because as versatile as it is, it has garbage poise damage. Instead, I did what I wanted to avoid doing coming from DS2: use the Estoc as my main weapon again.

Now I can attack even faster with less stamina consumption, with much better range and ironically a better chance to inflict hitstun thanks to quick attacks. The behind-the-shield poke is good for stopping these rabid monsters mid-combo, the backstep-slash command normal is surprisingly useful, and the heavy attacks are stylish as hell. No longer do I have to hug an enemy to gets attacks in, and subsequently get hit because I over-committed.

I know that it is overpowered, and yet I persist. I am a shameful Unkindled.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I AM BRAWW posted:

From get's a evil boner by making fun of us..

Oh yea so uhh in Dks1 you can break tails to get some epic Fkin weapons. Hell u can break the tail of a covenant leader to get his fkin awesome wep. Dark souls 2? eh. Dark souls 3? no.

So in Dark souls 1 there's a fkton of illusory walls.. some that bring u to ENTIRE hidden optional areas.. Dark Souls 2? hope u realized that all the illusory walls are opened by pressing "A" on the controller when ur up to them :D :D :D DArk souls 3? lol jokes we're back at slashing walls to open them, hope u didn't try to press A on walls for the game.

Chests? ya.. sometimes mimics in Darksouls 1.. dark souls 3? hope u'r buying every undead unter charm.

Ds3 has about twice as many mimics as DS2 did.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Slightly off-topic, but the new £2 coins in the UK this year are really :darksouls:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Shannow posted:

100% my pick for worst enemy in the game is the upright ghru that leap onto your head. I've had about a 3% success rate avoiding that attack and they're the main reason I keep a ranged attack with me. gently caress those guys.

You can just walk forward and it'll whiff completely.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Decided to use the dried fingerbone in undead settlement on a fresh level 20 character to see what type of people are invading at that area.
Oh boy.

First up get invaded by a guy cosplaying as Lautrec in the full favor armor and shotel, I full combo him taking off 400 HP which is about 20% of his life bar and die to attrition of not being able to dent him.

Then try again and get invaded by a guy in full dragon body with sacred flame and a estoc spammer which I killed, then a red phantom with nameless king's head dress and a dragonslayer greatbow which I managed to kill, then I ended up dying to the dragon guy coming back and teaming up with a full armor of thorns guy that had a ring of carthus and kept rolling into me repeatedly.

Now, call me paranoid, but I don't think these people actually took their characters to the endgame without leveling past the level 20 +2 weapon invade range, in fact, I think they might of been cheaters.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MZ posted:

Slightly off-topic, but the new £2 coins in the UK this year are really :darksouls:

I can't believe this Shakespear loser is copying Dark Souls's style!

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Yo so does someone want to kill me say 30 times or however much they feel
And then let me kill them say ten times because jesus.

Also maybe run around with the way of blue sign on a lot. And fix my internet so I maybe get summoned.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Which weapons are good for bleed builds

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

usually the ones that cause bleed, you can see this by looking at the weapons stats and looking at the number next to the red blood splatter-ish icon.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

There is never a reason to summon 3 phantoms. Assuming it goes by ds2 math, that would be like 2x boss HP for 1 phantom, 4x for 2 phantoms, then like, 8x for 3? not worth it at all

Quoting an old post because I want to say that I summon 3 phantoms to purposefully make the boss harder on NG+ and on my second character. I try to pick all sunbros to help them out with their medals in the process.

First playthrough, I soloed as many as I could, and summoned 1 guy if I was stuck.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZenVulgarity posted:

Warden Twinblades+carthus rouge to buff it up further is basically the best.

example

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 26, 2016

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Did they sort out the offline banning thing?

Currently playing a sorcerer on 2nd playthrough and want to do it offline and solo everything, dont really want to get banned because of it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Weapons with bleed damage. :downs:

Seriously, almost any bleed weapon will work, but can have varying degrees of dependence upon the bleed. Bandit Knife relies heavily on bleed, so it won't really work very well until you can infuse for bleed, with good luck, and slapping Carthus Rouge on there. Warden Twinblades are fairly similar, but fair a little better as normal weapons that also happen to bleed.

Morning Star also works, having high base damage, letting you dump more stats into Luck on a raw infusion to still maintain OK base damage. Also blunt damage which is pretty good for a lot of NPCs that don't bleed.

Barbed Straight is nice - not as fast as bandit or Warden, but it's still a straight sword for all the perks of having a straight sword.

Pick whatever weapon you like and fiddle with your stats to make it work. Bleed is generally good. Even the Flamberge gets an honorable mention in this regard. not a great bleed weapon, but it's still a good greatsword (claymore moveset) that has better range AND bleed.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Einwand posted:

What are the more interesting zones to PvP in at lower levels anyways, I'm nearly ready to finish up my first run and try out a dramatically different setup. Any good level ranges/zones to keep in mind?

Be level 25 to 40 and join farron watchdogs.

Or level 60 to 80 and join Aldrich.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Where do you get the morning star in this game, anyway

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TheQat posted:

Where do you get the morning star in this game, anyway

Handmaiden sells it after giving her the Paladin Ashes (on the road to Cathedral of the Deep)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kiggles posted:

Handmaiden sells it after giving her the Paladin Ashes (on the road to Cathedral of the Deep)

cool, thanks

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Beep beep, pain train coming through.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Farron flashsword is a cool spell for PvP with a weapon that can cast for finishing off dudes on low HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I probably shouldn't worry about min/maxing to death and just play with what looks cool and what I like c/d