Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Gonna go ahead and guess it's PS4 only ? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Apparently the criticism wasn't that it was "like" but that it "is"

Considering it's a reboot of sorts that's not surprising.

I think the Gyro aiming is fine but when you need to switch between the gamepad and TV it can be kinda overwhelming.

Beat the Abyss Watchers last nigh in Dark Souls 3. The idea for that boss was great, to the point that I could literally stand back and let others handle it.

Also Skeleballs are the best new addition to the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ahundredbux posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess it's PS4 only ? :cry:

Housemarque are pretty much owned by Sony at this point so yeh

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh poo poo

quote:

this is more of a faster-paced spiritual successor with Diablo leanings than a rehash of that exact approach. There are item drops demarcated by the usual shades of blue, purple, and orange to signify rarity. You can socket your guns and grenades with upgrades, or recycle them for materials to spend on re-rolling individual stats (rate of fire, ammo count, that sort of thing). Damage indicators fly off enemies' heads as their health bars melt away.
:awesome:

I'll be getting this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Why is this dumb game only coming out for PS4.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIkdsvuY-HA

exquisite tea posted:

Because Sony funded it, would you rather Microsoft funded it and it only come out on Xbone and Windows Store as a UWP app?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's a kinda old trailer at this point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want Nier 2

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I'm getting a PS4 soon and I'll be getting both Driablo 3 + RoS and that game asap. This is going to own.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Palpek posted:

I'm getting a PS4 soon and I'll be getting both Driablo 3 + RoS and that game asap. This is going to own.

wait for that playstation neo poo poo and get a good 2nd hand deal

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

im still not sure how "its like sf64" is a criticism

like I said, I think people would have been mad regardless of how the game ended up, which is unfortunate because yeah I thought last e3's star fox vids were poo poo but the game looked to be heavily improved since then and it isn't like it being similar to sf64 is a bad thing or invalidates it as a game

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
maybe the reviewer doesn't think the game holds up to 2016 standards, maybe they'd like a sequel that does something new? i dunno, it's probably great for people who are already fans of 64 I guess, I've never played a star fox game :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nintendo has tried doing new stuff with Star Fox in the past and everyone hated it so they tried remaking SF64 and everyone hates it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
maybe starfox was always bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The new stuff in this Tales of Maj'Eyal expansion is all really really cool, I like the new classes like "wields dual chainsaws" and stuff.

I hope the Naloren/Naga expansion that's in development is at least half as interesting as this steampunk orc stuff.

I also wish I knew how to code because there are a couple different classes/races I wanna try to make but meh, that's just a pipe dream, I can talk about how cool it'd be if I could mod ____ all day long, it's not gonna let me suddenly be able to wrap my head around how to code poo poo :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm suddenly getting super deja vu

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ahundredbux posted:

maybe starfox was always bad

what you've done here, is confuse star fox, with your posts !! :twisted:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Golden Goat posted:

That's a kinda old trailer at this point
Context for this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
does star fox 0 have a macbeth level & is it as good as or better than 64's macbeth level

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo has tried doing new stuff with Star Fox in the past and everyone hated it
Maybe they did the wrong stuff with it and different stuff would be good, just a thought.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

oddium posted:

what you've done here, is confuse star fox, with your posts !! :twisted:

nooooo!!!! :rip:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
for real tho star fox is probably a-ok

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Context for this

Ah right I see.

The wrong Star Fox stuff turns out to be hard to handle controls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
a bunch of reviews I've seen don't like star fox zero because it is too different because of the gyro controls but also because it isn't different enough and is a reboot of sf64

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

FirstAidKite posted:

a bunch of reviews I've seen don't like star fox zero because it is too different because of the gyro controls but also because it isn't different enough and is a reboot of sf64

please don't let negative reviews ruin your enjoyment of a game namaste :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

please don't let negative reviews ruin your enjoyment of a game namaste :)

I will not

the only thing affecting my enjoyment of a game is my lack of money to buy said game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
sharif don't like it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

After a bit a few levels in Star Fox Zero start to feel a little like Kid Icarus Uprising and I actually liked that control scheme.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't think people were bitching about Metroid Prime being too different than the previous games as it was too awesome. It looks to me like the reviewers simply don't enjoy Star Fox but because of zero actual analytical skills then fail to pinpoint what exactly isn't working so they're going with the stupid 'because it's too different AND not different enough'.

I dunno, I haven't played it and have no favorites in this matter.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
some things could be different in a bad way and some other things the same in a bad way just saying

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ahundredbux posted:

maybe the reviewer doesn't think the game holds up to 2016 standards, maybe they'd like a sequel that does something new? i dunno, it's probably great for people who are already fans of 64 I guess, I've never played a star fox game :shrug:

I only played the first one like 20 years ago, have no particular attachment to the franchise, and I think sf0 is pretty good. Controls take some getting used to for sure, but if you can't deal with that then you're a great big baby bitch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

I don't think people were bitching about Metroid Prime being too different than the previous games as it was too awesome. It looks to me like the reviewers simply don't enjoy Star Fox but because of zero actual analytical skills then fail to pinpoint what exactly isn't working so they're going with the stupid 'because it's too different AND not different enough'.

I dunno, I haven't played it and have no favorites in this matter.

Some people at the time absolutely hated Metroid Prime for being different and complained that Nintedo had turned it in to an FPS. The same people who referred to Wind Waker as Celda, I imagine.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I too would have prefered that they'd done nothing at all with the metroid ip instead lmao

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

some things could be different in a bad way and some other things the same in a bad way just saying

Same in a bad way is sorta weird though, if they're referring to the mission structure (Multiple pathways is fantastic) or the fact that it's literally a reboot of Star Fox then I don't see those as being huge points against the game.

I mean they can't refer to the gameplay being too familiar mainly due to the new control scheme.

Maybe it's just directed at space shooters like this and rogue squadron-like stuff being out of date.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Some people at the time absolutely hated Metroid Prime for being different and complained that Nintedo had turned it in to an FPS. The same people who referred to Wind Waker as Celda, I imagine.

I think there is also the legitimate issue that people have with the game, that it's too slow compared to the 2D games. But that's a byproduct of the perspective swap so it's all lumped together I suppose.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Golden Goat posted:

Same in a bad way is sorta weird though, if they're referring to the mission structure (Multiple pathways is fantastic) or the fact that it's literally a reboot of Star Fox then I don't see those as being huge points against the game.

I mean they can't refer to the gameplay being too familiar mainly due to the new control scheme.

Maybe it's just directed at space shooters like this and rogue squadron-like stuff being out of date.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here because, like I said, I've not even played the game. In fact I've not even read the reviews.

Either way, video game journalism ain't poo poo so just find someone who has similar tastes as you and a watch a video of the game or something imo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They're probably mad that it's not Star Citizen Fox.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

In Training posted:

I think there is also the legitimate issue that people have with the game, that it's too slow compared to the 2D games. But that's a byproduct of the perspective swap so it's all lumped together I suppose.

To be fair, going from a side-scroller to a FPS changes the way the game plays. Same reson ppl got upset over Fallout or Syndicate or whatever...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here because, like I said, I've not even played the game. In fact I've not even read the reviews.

Either way, video game journalism ain't poo poo so just find someone who has similar tastes as you and a watch a video of the game or something imo

That's fine, I'm just curious about how it feels too similar to 64 and all I can really think of is the fact that it's a reboot and I don't hold that against the game.

Video game journalism is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

The new stuff in this Tales of Maj'Eyal expansion is all really really cool, I like the new classes like "wields dual chainsaws" and stuff.

Goddam, that's all I ever wanted in life. This should be a class that dual wields chainsaws in all games. All of them.

FirstAidKite posted:

sharif don't like it

I like this thank you

• Locked thread