Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vortex keys are quality and feel good but the placement of the legends for backlight are subpar. you will get over it and they feel AMAZING but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just got my Planck with Matias quiet click switches. They feel like mx Browns are supposed to feel. Much snappier. The layout will take a while to get used to but so far I like it.

It'll help me get used to ortholinear because my massdrop ergodox infinity just shipped :woop:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Vortex keys are quality and feel good but the placement of the legends for backlight are subpar. you will get over it and they feel AMAZING but still

All the vortex sets I've seen are thin, you don't get that nice feeling until you get that thick PBT.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I bought two admittedly cheap PBT key cap sets from Taiwan for my G710+, but it seems like the stems are actually thinner than the caps on the G710+. The o-rings fall right off when I turn the keys over.

Are there o-rings made to fit smaller caps? Or does the G710+ have weird stems? Or is this just a bust?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

So I made another for my own use. It is going to take a while to get used to typing on it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ColHannibal posted:

All the vortex sets I've seen are thin, you don't get that nice feeling until you get that thick PBT.

Are you telling me it gets better?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Are you telling me it gets better?

Let me tell you about our lord and savior Topre.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I'm heading over to the US pretty soon and I think I'm just going to buy a ton of switches and such while I'm over there to bring back with me if it's cheaper (it's probably cheaper). What website(s) do I want to order from?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I'm heading over to the US pretty soon and I think I'm just going to buy a ton of switches and such while I'm over there to bring back with me if it's cheaper (it's probably cheaper). What website(s) do I want to order from?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=107 is probably the most popular

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ColHannibal posted:

Let me tell you about our lord and savior Topre.

Not interested buddy. New key caps is one thing, but setting the standard at $300 keyboards is a realm I don't want to enter

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I've got a Razer Blackwidow that's a few years old that I'm looking to replace. I got it at the time because my needs were a) mechanical and b) available locally. So this is what I got. But now that it's not a rush, I'm looking into getting something else.

What I want:
a) typing should sound like the world is coming to an end. I'm used to cherry blues, I understand there's more manufacturers now than when I was looking last.
b) I do need a numpad, I use it regularly.
c) A Canadian vendor is preferred but not mandatory

I'm neutral on backlighting. I don't mind it, and would probably opt for it if it was a choice between two otherwise identical keyboards, but something not having backlighting isn't a dealbreaker. I don't want to break the bank here, but I'm curious what the options are.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

neongrey posted:

So I've got a Razer Blackwidow that's a few years old that I'm looking to replace. I got it at the time because my needs were a) mechanical and b) available locally. So this is what I got. But now that it's not a rush, I'm looking into getting something else.

What I want:
a) typing should sound like the world is coming to an end. I'm used to cherry blues, I understand there's more manufacturers now than when I was looking last.
b) I do need a numpad, I use it regularly.
c) A Canadian vendor is preferred but not mandatory

I'm neutral on backlighting. I don't mind it, and would probably opt for it if it was a choice between two otherwise identical keyboards, but something not having backlighting isn't a dealbreaker. I don't want to break the bank here, but I'm curious what the options are.

Code keyboard with greens.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-mx-green.html

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 20, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So would anyone object to a new thread? OP is out of date and I feel like we recommend the same boards over and over.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I thought the gold standard of "world is coming to an end" is just getting one of Unicomp's modern Model Ms? Or...is there an even louder keyboard?! IF SO, I NEED IT

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I thought the gold standard of "world is coming to an end" is just getting one of Unicomp's modern Model Ms? Or...is there an even louder keyboard?! IF SO, I NEED IT

Yea but they don't really come in use and you can't change caps. Mx greens on a code will sound like the the stampede of the 4 riders horses if you put thicker caps on it. The high force and the metallic ping of a steel plate will really give that feeling that will make a Razer feel like a toy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dr. Quarex posted:

It would be nice if Unicomp would wholesale switches to other manufacturers because they are terrible at making keyboards.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love the sound of my greens. So loud, so solid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

neongrey posted:

What I want:

Make your own and go all in with a speaker built in like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG83krAsXO8 except make a custom firmware so that every key press triggers a different sound. I'm sure you could sample a lot of world is coming to an end sounds from your favorite war movie.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Make your own and go all in with a speaker built in like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG83krAsXO8 except make a custom firmware so that every key press triggers a different sound. I'm sure you could sample a lot of world is coming to an end sounds from your favorite war movie.
Feasibly you could make this yell out each letter as you hit it like a Speak'n'Spell

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want it to talk like the animal crossing voices.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sounds like green is the switch for me. My sister is going to murder me. Joke's on her, she needs me alive to make rent!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The adafruit ultranerds made a cool video about keyboards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGXTKDSo4Vc

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

~Coxy posted:

It would be nice if Unicomp would wholesale switches to other manufacturers because they are terrible at making keyboards.

That's not how buckling springs work but I'm guessing you know that.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It's like when I see people asking for Topre switches to buy :heysexy:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rexxed posted:

No, I didn't actually realise. I assumed they were self contained like Cherry/Alps. Too bad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

~Coxy posted:

No, I didn't actually realise. I assumed they were self contained like Cherry/Alps. Too bad.

Oh, I figured you were joking. Unfortunately they're a little more involved because the whole board is layed out and a lot of the components are put together as one piece. The bottom is a sandwich of curved metal plate, some thin foam stuff, PCB, then membrane on top. These have plastic rivets through to keep it all together (these breaking are usually how these boards eventually fail after many years of use, but you can fix them with tiny little nuts and bolts and doing the "bolt mod"). Above the membrane is a stompy foot thing on the bottom of the spring that buckles when you push down, hence the name. The barrels the springs fit in are on top of the sandwich and keep the stompy feet in place as well. It's kind of neat because it's difficult for liquids to get so high that they get into the barrels, especially if your Model M has drainage holes on the front.
Here's a gallery where a guy took one apart to clean it and you can see most of the guts: https://imgur.com/a/uHmW2

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I've only used 1 mechanical keyboard in my adult life, and buying one seems like diving into an obsessed world of tactile autism, as opposed to standard consumer electronics. Is there one of the cherry mx switches that works well for 75% of applications?

If not, are those 6-key switch testers at all useful for determining what sort of switch would be best? Or does the lack of natural keyboard finder positioning mean that they arent really reflective of actual keyboard usage?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ugh, the Green Codes sold out before I got to biting, is there a decent alternative, or do they restock often or what? I could get the blue version, I guess.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

neongrey posted:

Ugh, the Green Codes sold out before I got to biting, is there a decent alternative, or do they restock often or what? I could get the blue version, I guess.

They restock pretty often.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Okay cool.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Slanderer posted:

I've only used 1 mechanical keyboard in my adult life, and buying one seems like diving into an obsessed world of tactile autism, as opposed to standard consumer electronics. Is there one of the cherry mx switches that works well for 75% of applications?

If not, are those 6-key switch testers at all useful for determining what sort of switch would be best? Or does the lack of natural keyboard finder positioning mean that they arent really reflective of actual keyboard usage?
Browns or Clears are pretty good all-purpose tactile switches (gaming/productivity) that aren't super noisy. Browns are a common option and a solid choice if you dive straight in, Clears are slightly stiffer than Browns, is all.

If you like clicky and so does everyone around you, then you can look at the Blues or Greens (a stiffer Blue).

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Browns or Clears are pretty good all-purpose tactile switches (gaming/productivity) that aren't super noisy. Browns are a common option and a solid choice if you dive straight in, Clears are slightly stiffer than Browns, is all.

If you like clicky and so does everyone around you, then you can look at the Blues or Greens (a stiffer Blue).

This is helpful, thanks!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Slanderer posted:

I found the key tester to be helpful, you just need to make sure to try it out with all of your fingers.

Also what The Deadly Hume said is right on the money, so if that's enough info you can just go on that. I initially read stuff in the thread like that and thought, "I'll probably go with browns, but best be sure" so I got the tester and was all "welp, yeah, browns it is". Then I got clears for work because after a while of using the browns at home the regular Dell keyboard at work just felt loving awful and I figured clears would be quieter since it'd be slightly harder to bottom out.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I have a dumb question. I have a pok3r that I like, but my fat sweaty man hands have started peeling some of the lettering on the stock keycaps.

I really enjoy the fact that the additional key caps are labeled on the front ninja style. Does anyone know where to buy some replacement ones? I wouldn't mind paying extra to get double shot as well.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Audax posted:

I have a dumb question. I have a pok3r that I like, but my fat sweaty man hands have started peeling some of the lettering on the stock keycaps.

I really enjoy the fact that the additional key caps are labeled on the front ninja style. Does anyone know where to buy some replacement ones? I wouldn't mind paying extra to get double shot as well.

double shot ABS or PBT is the letter through the whole thing, not printed, so since you have super gross hands you'll probably want those. WASD keyboards has custom caps you can get, so does mechanicalkeyboards.com. You can also check massdrop for any current keycap group buys that are doubleshot. The cheapest DS option is probably a set by Tai-Hao, of which one is currently on massdrop.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

double shot ABS or PBT is the letter through the whole thing, not printed, so since you have super gross hands you'll probably want those. WASD keyboards has custom caps you can get, so does mechanicalkeyboards.com. You can also check massdrop for any current keycap group buys that are doubleshot. The cheapest DS option is probably a set by Tai-Hao, of which one is currently on massdrop.

Wasd keyboards uses uv printing on the worlds cheapest keycaps, those will start to wear after a week if you have oily skin.

Wait until geek keys comes back (their transfer to China is taking longer than expected) and brows the thick pbt keycaps.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Wasd keyboards uses uv printing on the worlds cheapest keycaps, those will start to wear after a week if you have oily skin.

Wait until geek keys comes back (their transfer to China is taking longer than expected) and brows the thick pbt keycaps.

i mentioned wasd because they have side printed pbt caps as well. mechanicalkeyboards.com currently has a lot of DS pbt sets.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what's a good option for a standard 87-key with clears and double-shot PBTs? doesn't need to have backlighting. build quality is my only priority really

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

ColHannibal posted:

Wasd keyboards uses[...] the worlds cheapest keycaps.
Fuckin' QFT, man. Those caps are loving horrible clack monsters. Not that ABS caps are all terrible, but those are poo poo-tastic in the extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheQat posted:

what's a good option for a standard 87-key with clears and double-shot PBTs? doesn't need to have backlighting. build quality is my only priority really

Wasd with the PBT set on them.

• Locked thread