Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The final boss in Dark Souls 3 is the most amazing thing I have ever fought.

:siren:MAJOR loving SPOILERS. :siren:

Essentially he goes through multiple transformations that resemble what a human player would use, from weapons to magic making for a crazy and unpredictable boss fight, in his final form he turns into Gwyn from the first game.

Just really loving cool and fits in with the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

One of my favorite little things is from Perfect Dark. In one of the first levels where you are infiltrating the DataDyne offices, you fight the main antagonist's bodyguards at the end of the level. After climbing to the rooftop, you enter a building on the roof and suddenly the lights go out. The bodyguards are wearing night vision goggles so they get the jump on you. You could do the same and don your night vision but there is an alternative... Hit the light switch. The lights come back on and overload the night vision goggles so the bodyguards get stunned and you turn the tables.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Der-Wreck posted:

One of my favorite little things is from Perfect Dark. In one of the first levels where you are infiltrating the DataDyne offices, you fight the main antagonist's bodyguards at the end of the level. After climbing to the rooftop, you enter a building on the roof and suddenly the lights go out. The bodyguards are wearing night vision goggles so they get the jump on you. You could do the same and don your night vision but there is an alternative... Hit the light switch. The lights come back on and overload the night vision goggles so the bodyguards get stunned and you turn the tables.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The gameplay for XIII was nothing special but more games could use Adam West voicing major characters.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'd kill for arkham dlc letting me use his voice

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I legitimately bought Arkham City because Adam West Batman was one of the DLC costumes.

Even with no other change, just running down a corridor was five times more fun.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

So is Dark Souls 3 the 'real' Dark Souls 2?

Yes, but it's called Reinforced Dark Souls

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The worst problem with Arkham Origins is the costume code doesn't work so you can't switch to Adam West without beating the story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A fun thing in Dark Souls 3 is with the new enhancements you don't need to worry about whether a weapon is 'right' for your build or not - if you have a weapon with high strength scaling and low dex, but your playing as a dex character (I have 25 dex compared to 11 strength) you can make it a Sharpened Heavy Weapon and it will get scaling in dex instead of strength. The spellsword has scaling C/C/-/- but with the sharpened modifier they now have C/A/-/- so my character can look forward to wrecking everything for a bit. :)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Nope, they're finally making a new Echo Night game

Actually considering what they've learnt to do

it'd be loving horrifying

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BioEnchanted posted:

A fun thing in Dark Souls 3 is with the new enhancements you don't need to worry about whether a weapon is 'right' for your build or not - if you have a weapon with high strength scaling and low dex, but your playing as a dex character (I have 25 dex compared to 11 strength) you can make it a Sharpened Heavy Weapon and it will get scaling in dex instead of strength. The spellsword has scaling C/C/-/- but with the sharpened modifier they now have C/A/-/- so my character can look forward to wrecking everything for a bit. :)

I was so bummed when I realized I couldn't alter that frost sword you get from that dude by the elevator a few hours in

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Der-Wreck posted:

The incredibly customisable multiplayer modes in Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters were great and more games need that kind of variety in multiplayer. It's cool if everyone wants their ~pro loadout~ but then you're fighting slappers only and everything is crazy! Also basically everything in Timesplitters 2 and 3 is a great little thing in games.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Slappers only is the one true way, heretic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The incredibly customisable multiplayer modes in Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters were great and more games need that kind of variety in multiplayer. It's cool if everyone wants their ~pro loadout~ but then you're fighting slappers only and everything is crazy! Also basically everything in Timesplitters 2 and 3 is a great little thing in games.

It takes a special kind of crazy to come up with Monkey Curling, and its a shame we'll likely never see a TimeSplitters 4 :sigh:.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Flame Tag was great as well. And Virus. Especially when you made everyone snowmen. "I'm meeelting!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something amazing just happened in Dark Souls 3 - I was on my way to the Farron Keep boss and a Darkwraith followed me through the fog door. When the boss caught him in the crossfire they started fighting each other, and the Darkwraith wrecked his first form, although ultimately losing, so I was able to go into the second form with a ton of estus. Still lost because that form is a bitch but it was a really funny event.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That happened to me when I did that boss too. I think it's what happens if you aggro the Darkwraiths then go through the fog wall. It owns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That may have been the intention of the two Darkwraiths in the first place as well, since they have beef with the Abyss Watchers and are programmed to go towards the arena. Definitely a neat little thing regardless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, anyone else find hte Abyss Watchers to be hard as balls? I'm having no end of trouble, the first form keeps kicking my rear end, parrying doesn't seem to do enough damage to really matter as I'm not good at it, and when he hits his second form I barely have enough estus to keep up, let alone actually hit him.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way, anyone else find hte Abyss Watchers to be hard as balls? I'm having no end of trouble, the first form keeps kicking my rear end, parrying doesn't seem to do enough damage to really matter as I'm not good at it, and when he hits his second form I barely have enough estus to keep up, let alone actually hit him.

This was the boss that broke me of the Bandit Knife. During the first form just play keep away and plink the main one until it's dead (bonus points if the random adds help out on that) and the key thing for form two is he has ZERO form of defense even from the front. If you can manage to stagger him it's a couple of free hits, but it doesn't seem you can st unlock him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dewgy posted:

This was the boss that broke me of the Bandit Knife. During the first form just play keep away and plink the main one until it's dead (bonus points if the random adds help out on that) and the key thing for form two is he has ZERO form of defense even from the front. If you can manage to stagger him it's a couple of free hits, but it doesn't seem you can st unlock him.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I buying a shitton of arrows and hoping that that second guy doesn't punk me from off screen again. Bastard. I guess this is the equivalent of the Four Kings huh? Feels similar.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

theshim posted:

Slappers only is the one true way, heretic.

Timesplitters 3, Chinese Mansion level, bricks only, one-hit kill. So much stuff to break in that level.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

One of my favorite multiplayer modes in Perfect Dark was to turn on the Perfect Darkness cheat (everything is pitch black), select the Ravine level, and set all weapons to Lasers. Because of the Perfect Darkness cheat, the lasers would light up the room you're in. So you're wandering around in complete darkness and all of a sudden you see a room just light the hell up! Or you could set the laser to the secondary mode where it's a constant beam and use it as a flashlight. This mode only worked on the N64 version but drat that was great.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Cleretic posted:

I legitimately bought Arkham City because Adam West Batman was one of the DLC costumes.

Even with no other change, just running down a corridor was five times more fun.

I really wish Microsoft would release Arkham City as a Game with Gold already!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

BioEnchanted posted:

Really? I didn't have too much trouble, especially when I got them fighting among themselves. This might also be because I had just re-ran through Bloodborne just before release, and that fight is essentially Maria lite.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'd just like to thank this thread for sparking my interest in Shadows of Mordor because I've just finally picked it up, and it's great, and I don't know if I'd have given it a shot if I hadn't heard about it here.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

AlphaKretin posted:

I'd just like to thank this thread for sparking my interest in Shadows of Mordor because I've just finally picked it up, and it's great, and I don't know if I'd have given it a shot if I hadn't heard about it here.
Please post your favorite moments as you play, SoM is a fantastic game to experience :allears:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BioEnchanted posted:

Thanks for the advice. Guess I buying a shitton of arrows and hoping that that second guy doesn't punk me from off screen again. Bastard. I guess this is the equivalent of the Four Kings huh? Feels similar.

Kill the second one, ignore the rest. First and second aggro to you, the rest fight the first. Second form, use a red bug pellet and a good shield.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
There's a fairly common item in Dark Souls 3 that allows you to camouflage yourself into a background object like a chair or pot or whatever. I met an NPC who gave me one as a token of our friendship and the one he gave me didn't stack with the rest of my inventory.

I checked it out and the description is the same except he left a little note on the one he gave me. We're friends!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I help anytime! :3:

Just Offscreen posted:

Really? I didn't have too much trouble, especially when I got them fighting among themselves. This might also be because I had just re-ran through Bloodborne just before release, and that fight is essentially Maria lite.

You mean Maria is Abyss Watchers lite? Because I felt it was insanely easy to chain viscerals on Maria.

And Abyss Watchers are nothing compared to Pontiff Sulyvahn and King of the Storm.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

samu3lk posted:

There's a fairly common item in Dark Souls 3 that allows you to camouflage yourself into a background object like a chair or pot or whatever. I met an NPC who gave me one as a token of our friendship and the one he gave me didn't stack with the rest of my inventory.

I checked it out and the description is the same except he left a little note on the one he gave me. We're friends!

It's also a burial gift!
And when you use it said NPC returns to doing his normal thing.

And as for the abyss watchers and questions regarding damage:
I have one word for you: Qualityyyyyyyyyyy

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Der-Wreck posted:

Perfect Dark was really ahead of its time, and its a shame there hasn't been a proper successor.

Something that stuck out to me recently was an article about game mods. Its "attention grabbing" headline was something like "This mod for GTAV lets you shoot guns out of people's hands."

Well guess what? Perfect Dark did that poo poo 15 years ago on the Nintendo 64. You could also pick up the gun, point it at the guy, and hold him up.

But sometimes they would try and pull a fast one on you buy punching you, or even outright disarming you. Sometimes they would pull out a side arm at start attacking again.

Not to mention, years before every game tried having "choices matter" bullshit marketing gimmicks, in Perfect Dark your decisions would sometimes affect later levels. In the Area 51 level, your buddy would volunteer to close the doors behind you so you and another character can escape, but if you stop him and have him escape instead he'll show up in a later level to help protect you while you do more important poo poo.

gently caress that game is awesome

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wish more games would do the goldeneye/perfect dark thing where difficulty settings weren't just straight "tougher enemies/less ammo" (although that was part of it), but adding different objectives as well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mildly Amusing posted:

Also there was Elvis' stars and stripes waistcoat.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wish more games would do the goldeneye/perfect dark thing where difficulty settings weren't just straight "tougher enemies/less ammo" (although that was part of it), but adding different objectives as well.

I know that Timesplitters did this, specifically 2. I remember the first level, at a Dam/Research Facility, Easy mode required you to just get from one end of the level to the other. Normal had you going into the depths of the research facility and discovering zombies while Hard mode had a boss battle with a helicopter on top of the dam! Not only were there extra objectives but whole new sections of the level.

Perfect Dark was indeed quite ahead of its time. Like, showing the animations for gun reloads. I had never seen that before but then again my only exposure to FPS's at that point was Goldeneye and Duke Nukem.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way am I getting obscenely lucky in DS3? On a few passes failing at the boss I managed to get the Dark Hood and the Dark Armour on top of the dark sword from the Darkwraiths. Are they just common drops? I also got the rotted sword and dagger from the little guys.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way am I getting obscenely lucky in DS3? On a few passes failing at the boss I managed to get the Dark Hood and the Dark Armour on top of the dark sword from the Darkwraiths. Are they just common drops? I also got the rotted sword and dagger from the little guys.

I have received a remarkably disproportionate amount of dark pants.

My favourite little thing (not so little) is that the structure of the areas is clearly visible from other distant areas right down to seeing the actual paths you'll trek. It's a far cry from the disjointed world of Dark Souls 2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not only that but the bonfire warping helps the game immensely because you can skip redoing the more annoying encounters. Weirdly the Pyromancy Women, the first real mage enemy you see, and the hardest to deal with outside of the treant things.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Mildly Amusing posted:

Perfect Dark was really ahead of its time, and its a shame there hasn't been a proper successor.

Something that stuck out to me recently was an article about game mods. Its "attention grabbing" headline was something like "This mod for GTAV lets you shoot guns out of people's hands."

Well guess what? Perfect Dark did that poo poo 15 years ago on the Nintendo 64. You could also pick up the gun, point it at the guy, and hold him up.

But sometimes they would try and pull a fast one on you buy punching you, or even outright disarming you. Sometimes they would pull out a side arm at start attacking again.

Not to mention, years before every game tried having "choices matter" bullshit marketing gimmicks, in Perfect Dark your decisions would sometimes affect later levels. In the Area 51 level, your buddy would volunteer to close the doors behind you so you and another character can escape, but if you stop him and have him escape instead he'll show up in a later level to help protect you while you do more important poo poo.

More Perfect Dark because there are just so many little things in that game.

Depending on which way you infiltrate the Air Force One, you'll start in different areas of the plane in the next level.

Not only did Perfect Dark have a decently well-done co-op mode, it also had counter-op mode. One player gets to play as the enemy guys throughout the level. Man, that was awesome. I can't think of any other games doing anything like that.

On lower difficulties, sometimes enemies' weapons would jam and they'd yell "Piece of crap" and bang on the gun frustratedly. It still cracks me up when it happens.

drat, gonna go play it again now...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2-3 were basically perfect FPSs and nothing has even tried to ape them and I don't understand. I mean, I'm almost entirely a PC gamer now, and PC gamers boast about "our" games doing stuff that console games don't - stuff that those games did better 15+ years ago without boasting about it, and the archetypal console FPS is now Halo. It's like they're lost to history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In the new Hoops game mode in Rocket League the cars make the sound of sneakers on a basketball court :3: