Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, my orders are in, I'm going for a hit on some helicopters.
Let's start racking up the bounty - I like the idea of keeping close to our exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PBJ posted:

There's also what looks like an Owens or a Jenner in between the two, but it's not distinct enough to make out clearly.

It's a Kraken.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Picard Day posted:

You can trust me, I'm a space doctor with a bloody chainsaw.

She's just thorough about her povidone-iodine use.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alright, planning to run to 2138 and join the blap fest on the Anhurs. There's a nasty cluster of troops around 1033, so we need some crime-ready robots up there, I guess?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

For the old-school thread readers

Nice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Alright, planning to run to 2138 and join the blap fest on the Anhurs. There's a nasty cluster of troops around 1033, so we need some crime-ready robots up there, I guess?

The green ones are speed bumps. They're effectively armed with a pair of ER Small Lasers (though this can be bumped up to a whole 3 of them if the dice go their way) at 4 range and barely count as mobile. The brown guys are loving nasty, though. They'll hit for around 24 damage at 9 hexes and they can jump 3. Our would-be war criminals should prioritize the brown guys, especially the bigger ones since they can jump and generally make themselves obnoxious.

If the big brown guys manage to swarm someone, they'll take pretty close to the equivalent to a TSM kick from the Atlas... with a 50/50 chance of hitting either rear armor or the head. So yeah, they're super toads that need special equipment to kill.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 26, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What's with the dark souls helmet

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

For the old-school thread readers

This was good for a nice chuckle in the morning. It also makes me feel a bit old when I realize just how long this LP has been running for.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Back Hack posted:

How...how do you sit in this thing? The handle bars goes directly into the pelvis area.

Might be adjustable handle bars, I can kinda see something like a pivot just behind the horns.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Orders in. :ohdear:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I am going to do a quick sweep so they don't hit us in the rear and then work my way over to the brown guys.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

I am going to do a quick sweep so they don't hit us in the rear and then work my way over to the brown guys.

First thing that came to mind was "Also could be used to describe US foreign policy."

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Saint Celestine posted:

First thing that came to mind was "Also could be used to describe US foreign policy."

The US would be the ones with the airstrikes though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ZenVulgarity posted:

Space Feudalism Man-at-Arms.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Artificer posted:

The US would be the ones with the airstrikes though.

Counterpoint: We're the ones with the drones.

Thanks, Space Obama.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Orders for the Mad Dog are in.

Moving to 2039 and shooting the Anhur in 1035, conditional orders to instead shoot the Visigoth in 941.

Tear me apart thread. :allears:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Chosen Undead is stepping up their game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Kraken.

:saddowns: I could have done so much better in the Kraken...

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The blue tinted versus white, is that current versus max? What does it mean on heat sinks?
Regarding the mech info pages:

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Gunsmith would be good for counter infantry due to its weapons/speed? And that the Ostscout is suited to countering ECM/painting target for missiles dudes? If so, is there any target in particular that it should be focusing on? Looking to try to figure out an overall gameplan to submit my turn.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Pladdicus posted:

The blue tinted versus white, is that current versus max? What does it mean on heat sinks?

Blue is the number of heat sinks you have, white is how much heat they can sink.

And yes, on everything else, it's current vs max.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

Artificer posted:

Mechwarrior Ath was a badass; don't beat yourself up about it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

You'd figure hurricane rain and wind would increase cooling efficiency, but I guess not.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

LegendairyBovine posted:

Mechwarrior Ath was a badass; don't beat yourself up about it.

And still alive. His rage at not dying keeps him alive, I think.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

raverrn posted:

You'd figure hurricane rain and wind would increase cooling efficiency, but I guess not.

As an aside of this, if you think about it, something that gets as hot as a mech would probably create a poo poo load of steam in a heavy rainstorm during a firefight. I bet it'd actually look pretty cool with steam blowing all over the place.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pladdicus posted:

Regarding the mech info pages:

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Gunsmith would be good for counter infantry due to its weapons/speed? And that the Ostscout is suited to countering ECM/painting target for missiles dudes? If so, is there any target in particular that it should be focusing on? Looking to try to figure out an overall gameplan to submit my turn.

So a few notes about your dudes- The Ostscout's Micro-pulse laser can potentially kill more infantry in one turn than all four of those medium X-Pulses. It's definitely got more killing power. The downside is it has to get in range of them to do it, since the micro-pulse max range is 3, while the XPulses can safely whittle away 8 ish troopers per turn from outside their effective fire range. (The jump troopers have 9 hex range, but they're not getting -2 pulse laser bonuses).

TAG doesn't do much for your team unfortunately, since none of your mates are packing stuff like Arrow IV homing missiles. But there might be some super edge case that would let you effectively spot for indirect fire from the Salamander.

The huge thing with your mechs is that they're super fast backstabbers, and only take half damage from energy weapons. But really really really do not get in to melee range, or risk falling because as PTN has noted a lot, you take double damage from all physicals.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

berryjon posted:

And still alive. His rage at not dying keeps him alive, I think.

I have faith that Rage Grandpa is still out there, still unfathomably angry at everything in the universe. I pity the poor fools who had to get him out of the Kraken's cockpit after the battle was over.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Gunsmith would be good for counter infantry due to its weapons/speed?

The Gunsmith doesn't want to be anywhere near infantry. Medium Lasers kill 1-2 soldiers per turn, each. Meanwhile most of the actually dangerous infantry will demolish both of your `Mechs if they score a reasonable number of hits.

raverrn posted:

Depends on how warm it is, and the overall humidity. Amaris is a bastard and forced the Clans to land in the Malaria Belt tropics.

Gwaihir posted:

TAG doesn't do much for your team unfortunately, since none of your mates are packing stuff like Arrow IV homing missiles. But there might be some super edge case that would let you effectively spot for indirect fire from the Salamander.

Salamander's got semi-guided LRM ammo which does benefit from TAG. If the Crusader had been chosen, it also would've been packing semi-guided ammo.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 26, 2016

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Artificer posted:

You were cornered alone and at close range by a faster 'Mech which always won initiative. The Kraken's a beast, but that's a worst-case scenario for basically any assault.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dolash posted:

Counterpoint: We're the ones with the drones.

Thanks, Space Obama.

Now ah, let me be clear, Clan incursion into Republic space will, ah, not be tolerated.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Alright, caught up. Sally checking in - I'm headed due north to 2832. Plan is to head for the high ground to get an angle on those mechs to the north. Probably gonna use the smoke rounds to lay down some cover next turn and give us an extra turn's worth of unharrassed fire on the landed aircraft and exposed infantry. After that, it's raining death on targets of opportunity from around the vicinity of 2527. No fire this round, since I've got poo poo to-hits and don't want to waste the useful ammo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Gunsmith doesn't want to be anywhere near infantry. Medium Lasers kill 1-2 soldiers per turn, each. Meanwhile most of the actually dangerous infantry will demolish both of your `Mechs if they score a reasonable number of hits.
Yeah, light mechs are for scouting, EWAR and loving with bigger mechs that can't keep up with them. Stay the hell away from infantry.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Orders reminder, don't be that goon on the first turn! :eng101:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, caught up. Sally checking in - I'm headed due north to 2832. Plan is to head for the high ground to get an angle on those mechs to the north. Probably gonna use the smoke rounds to lay down some cover next turn and give us an extra turn's worth of unharrassed fire on the landed aircraft and exposed infantry. After that, it's raining death on targets of opportunity from around the vicinity of 2527. No fire this round, since I've got poo poo to-hits and don't want to waste the useful ammo.

You've got 24 rounds of HE for potshots, maybe two-three rounds for far off infantry while they're still in the open?

Hmmm, 18 turns overall, yeah, it'll get tight even for regular ammo if things go well. But then again you or the team might have to withdraw before the 20 turns or so.

---

So mechs can go through each others' spaces as long as they don't end up in the same, right?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

RA Rx posted:

So mechs can go through each others' spaces as long as they don't end up in the same, right?

Ally spaces, yes. Not enemy.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RA Rx posted:

You've got 24 rounds of HE for potshots, maybe two-three rounds for far off infantry while they're still in the open?

Hmmm, 18 turns overall, yeah, it'll get tight even for regular ammo if things go well. But then again you or the team might have to withdraw before the 20 turns or so.

The way I look at it is that I've got best-case BTH10s on things, and even then it's the fragile Anhurs that others are already shooting at. Why use ammo on shots that are likely to miss - and if they hit are likely to be overkill?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tempest_56 posted:

The way I look at it is that I've got best-case BTH10s on things, and even then it's the fragile Anhurs that others are already shooting at. Why use ammo on shots that are likely to miss - and if they hit are likely to be overkill?

You could just go south west, all the Visigoths and Vandals are in range and only need 6 to hit. (4 base + 2 move + 4 range - 4 immobile target)

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Mostly just that missiles are good against infantry.

1/6 to hit, but with 12 hits average with a divisor of 2, x2 for the open terrain, the avg volley of HE hitting would kill 12 dudes, which is fairly good compared to other weapons killing 1 or 2 guys.

So it's likely a waste, but it'll save the Komodo a quarter round for each hit (plus the maneuver hassle), as it can only wipe out two squads a round.

That seems pretty bad, but there's enough infantry going around and spread out, some near cover, that the Komodo will need some help.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 27, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind that just like with mechs, it's not really necessary to remove 100% of a unit of infantry to render it combat ineffective. Reduce it to like a third or quarter strength and if it stays on the field, it's not going to accomplish much and can be pretty safely ignored. This is especially true of the chaff infantry guys on the map, which is the majority of them right now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Orders were due last night.

El Spamo, Tempest_56, Pladdicus, I know the three of you are around. Get them in ASAP.

AmyL I don't think I've seen post in a long while, so we may be calling up an alternate.

Edit: Y'all have no idea, as a long time BattleTech player, how much watching the Screamer move fills me with utter dread.

Double Edit: And a good use of Turn 1 MASC from the Grasshopper to stay with the mechblob

Triple Edit: They may not be wearing armor, but heavy jump troopers are still Elementals. Please remember to treat them with respect (by which I mean kill them before they murder you all).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Is that (partly) why you made the Screamer inflict a pilot hit every time it jumps? :v:

• Locked thread