Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

slavatuvs posted:

No one can tail it because it is so slow, if a jet tries to keep up it falls out of the sky.

Plus no missiles can lock because no heat signatures.

This was pretty much a plot point from Turtledove's Worldwar series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

On the plus side, you don't have to go to work or whatever and if you don't get picked you'll probably not even be there that long.

Comedy option: bring your laptop to the courthouse and play HoI4 in the juror waiting room. (There is a lot of waiting involved in jury duty)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

I never get picked as a potential juror and I still often get the time off.

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just stand up during the selection process, clear your throat and say "Jury Nullification." as loudly and clearly as you can. There is slight a chance you might be charged with contempt for knowing nullification is a thing and for telling other potential jurors about it though but at least you'd never have to serve on a jury ever again.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 25, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Or just declare that you have a major bias towards NATO counters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Seems self righting if you are just 100% honest and tell the examiners you are really distracted right now because you want to go home and play a Hitler simulator.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
My question is how big is the multiplayer aspect of these games? I want to buy EU4 to play it online after playing it for a few hours at a friend's and seeing the dev multiplayer stream of EU4 and Stellaris; however, is online play common enough that I could reasonably get in some good multiplayer action? In other words, is it worth the money to pay for a game like EU4 and its expansions mostly for multiplayer, or am I going to be in a disappointing search for online friend-enemies.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have virtually no experience in pubbie matches; the fun MP in my experiences has been with friends/goons. If you can establish or find a reliable-ish game circle of people, MP is good and works well. Having that group of people you know and having some sort of extra channel of communication available (be it mumble, steam chat, skype, beers afterwards, etc.) really enhances the diplomacy of the game. You don't know the personalities of random people in a public game, but you do know your friends (goons, etc.), which gives you opportunities to screw around with diplomacy that you wouldn't have otherwise.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Ofaloaf posted:

I have virtually no experience in pubbie matches; the fun MP in my experiences has been with friends/goons. If you can establish or find a reliable-ish game circle of people, MP is good and works well. Having that group of people you know and having some sort of extra channel of communication available (be it mumble, steam chat, skype, beers afterwards, etc.) really enhances the diplomacy of the game. You don't know the personalities of random people in a public game, but you do know your friends (goons, etc.), which gives you opportunities to screw around with diplomacy that you wouldn't have otherwise.

In other words, since I am a stereotypical lonely goon and thus have no friends... and even less friends interested in these sorts of games, then I shouldn't bother buying it for multiplayer? Or is there a decent goon community for these kinds of games?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

twig1919 posted:

In other words, since I am a stereotypical lonely goon and thus have no friends... and even less friends interested in these sorts of games, then I shouldn't bother buying it for multiplayer? Or is there a decent goon community for these kinds of games?

There is an excellent community of mp playing goons for paradox games, and games are held very regularly. Come play with us my lord~

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defeatist Elitist posted:

There is an excellent community of mp playing goons for paradox games, and games are held very regularly. Come play with us my lord~

"excellent"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tbf they're the only group of goons that actually plays this multiplayer so the bar is really low.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

tbf they're the only group of goons that actually plays this multiplayer so the bar is really low.

I play with them

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Question about Stellaris for modding thought, will we be limited to the 8 ethos plus their fanatic values, or could modders add in an additional ethos axis if they wanted? Would that require a ? Also presumably we won't be limited to the four traits if we wanted to do custom species, right?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

Good news, if its anything like all the times I've had jury duty you'll be out by 1-2 most likely! Someone at the place where they select people in the pool really hates me, 4 times in under 10 years.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 25, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always wanted to get picked for jury duty. I think it would be a fun civic experience and I live a block away from the court house.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

If it involves a white supremacist in any way, just notify the court that you're very agitated to be there as you'd rather be home guiding Nazi Germany to world domination.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
When I was called for jury duty I had to call into an automated system the night before and it said I didn't have to go, so you may just get a free day off if you're lucky.

Also pretty excited for Stellaris, I used to host 10-14 man EU4 late night games regularly so hoping enough of my friends list gets it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chief Savage Man posted:

If it involves a white supremacist in any way, just notify the court that you're very agitated to be there as you'd rather be home guiding Nazi Germany to world domination.
All you need to say is that you play a game designed for erudite gamers, not casual idiots like CoD players, so they kick you out of the jury for being too smart.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fintilgin posted:

I want a HOI4 expansion that adds diesel mechs, flying aircraft carriers, and other goofy crazy poo poo.

Also, Blorg invasion.

EDIT: Parallel universe Aztecs pouring through warp gates would be okay too.

HoI4: Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow DLC.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

No one can tail it because it is so slow, if a jet tries to keep up it falls out of the sky.

Plus no missiles can lock because no heat signatures.

Not sure where the supersonic part comes in, though.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

i derive extreme sexual pleasure from other people rage quitting and quibbling over dumb poo poo, what can i say

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Phlegmish posted:

it's very noisy

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Baronjutter posted:

I've always wanted to get picked for jury duty. I think it would be a fun civic experience and I live a block away from the court house.

My friend says the same thing, but you really dont want it. If I could get away with it I'd just have him go in my place the next time I get called in. It wont surprise me if I got a notice this year despite getting called last year.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

Framed!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Question about Stellaris for modding thought, will we be limited to the 8 ethos plus their fanatic values, or could modders add in an additional ethos axis if they wanted? Would that require a ? Also presumably we won't be limited to the four traits if we wanted to do custom species, right?

You might want to ask this in the dedicated Stellaris thread.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

Imagine having your freedom depending on your view of Imperial Germany.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

YF-23 posted:

You might want to ask this in the dedicated Stellaris thread.

I didn't even look for one! Nice...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I didn't even look for one! Nice...

Just don't mention Collectivism! :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Just don't mention Collectivism! :v:

FASTER THAN LIGHT TRAVEL IS REAL

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
What do you mean jury duty? The slider for political liberties is about as far from democracy as it can be.

What do you mean HOI4 has no sliders?????

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

just out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of financial info Paradox is going to be making public when they go public? I am kind of interested in seeing how well their model does work compared to other companies.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Stellaris DD on Scripting/modding anomalies

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-31-modding-scripting-anomalies.923348/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

The takeoff procedure involves a very large slingshot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stellaris thread is this way (DD already posted there):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768778

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

TeenageArchipelago posted:

just out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of financial info Paradox is going to be making public when they go public? I am kind of interested in seeing how well their model does work compared to other companies.

There's some info on the PI page:
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/
some is only in swedish though.

For odd legal reasons I can't talk about stuff or link to stuff directly.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
So I finally decided to give Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour and holy moley is it addictive. Insane amount of detail and events. Not very plausible, but by far the most dynamic and interesting HOI game I've ever played. Second USA Civil War is pretty stupid but loving the Internationale events. Was kind of worried the game would turn into a Dark Enlightenment fantasy but hardly that at all.

Currently playing as Britain and got into a war with Canada over Iceland. I occupied Iceland (which went to syndicalist Scandinavia) and joined the Internationale, but now what? Do I have to invade Canada to end the war, or can I just play defensive and wait until France negotiates peace?

Also tried doing a Russia game with the Wrangel option after hearing it was fun, but I just kept gaining more and more dissent until the second Russian civil war happened. Is that unavoidable?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Invading Canada and toppling the Royalists once and for all is the endgame for the Union of Britain, yeah. Although before that happens the great European war is likely to break out and you'll need to help France out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Second RCW is only avoidable with democratic russia or constitutional monarchy and only if you play the events right and cave in to most of the demands. Also use your british fleet to gently caress over Canada's and deploy French troops to gently caress em up (bring some of yours as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Germany seems to have gone down an almost pacifist path since the Black Friday events. There was an event where France mobilized in response to a bombing and Germany backed down. Ukraine, Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Spain are all syndicalist. I guess taking Greenland and then Canada is the next logical step, although Canada took New England in the ACW.