Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Bina posted:

So cask 2 is past the ferry terminal, because the gemstone is just beyond the fairy, right?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

With the way the outline of the fort is shaped, it looks like the gem is to the west.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
hey guys remember when Xie was gonna dig except it was obvious he wasn't and gnarlyhotep defended him

now gnarlyhotep is banned and nobody named Xie has done any diggin. makes u think

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Xie completely abandoning the dig after all of the work he presumably put into it is one of the weirdest and funniest things...

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Homestar Runner posted:

hey guys remember when Xie was gonna dig except it was obvious he wasn't and gnarlyhotep defended him

now gnarlyhotep is banned and nobody named Xie has done any diggin. makes u think

If I recall correctly a particular person I won't name got banned by Gnarly numerous times for talking poo poo about Xie and his lie. I believe Xie and Gnarly were/are having butt sex. Just my theory. (Would explain Xies limp wrist)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Tony Homo posted:

If I recall correctly a particular person I won't name got banned by Gnarly numerous times for talking poo poo about Xie and his lie. I believe Xie and Gnarly were/are having butt sex. Just my theory. (Would explain Xies limp wrist)

Remember that time that Gnarlyhotep was a piteous and contemptible alcoholic GBS moderator?

.random
May 7, 2007

Demonachizer posted:

Remember that time that Gnarlyhotep was a pious and commendable alcoholic GBS moderator?

Do you think new mods will help us find new trasures?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Demonachizer posted:

Remember that time that Gnarlyhotep was a piteous and contemptible alcoholic GBS moderator?

Abe would have made him dig :(

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Homestar Runner posted:

It wasn't obvious until it was. And I'm still not entirely sure he didn't drop the whole thing out of spite for Tony Homo. When the only person on the entire forum keenly interested about what you're doing insults you and wants you to fail, I can't imagine why anyone would bother.

But we'll never hear from them again so who loving knows what really happened

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

There were all kinds of people rooting for xie in the thread though. I am guessing he started having second thoughts and realized how many people he was going to embarrass himself in front of if he dug and found nothing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
There's only one more thing funnier than these dumbasses who SWEAR I'm really gonna dig this time I mean it you'll see!

And that's the mongoloid rubes who loving fall for it every time and believe them.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Guys go easy on Xie okay.

He is just waiting for his class load in the summer of 2014 to die down and the brutal winter of 2015 to be over.

Oh also his pussy wrist to heal after it shattered when he used a garden trowel or something.

But he totally has the location completely figured out 100%. Spring 2015 is when this poo poo breaks wide open.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

what if the treasure is cursed o_o

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's pretty clear Xie was killed for what he knows by, oh, let's say the Russians.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
has anyone looked in tappermans cove? :ninja:

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

I'm convinced Xie had a good chance of finding it, but too many haters got on his back. The least he could have done was give his notes to somebody not pussy enough to dig. And lived in Boston. Which wasn't that many people, actually.

helixxo
May 2, 2005
Guys I've dug holes all over my lawn and I haven't found poo poo.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I only started talking poo poo to Xie when he kept making excuses. I was the sole voice speaking about him for a while so the argument he didn't dig out of spite for me is not true.

Xie: "I'll show Tony! I'll show him! He thinks I'm lying about getting permission to dig and hurting myself digging so I'll .....ah...ummm....not dig! I'll show him!"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tony Homo posted:

I only started talking poo poo to Xie when he kept making excuses. I was the sole voice speaking about him for a while so the argument he didn't dig out of spite for me is not true.

Xie: "I'll show Tony! I'll show him! He thinks I'm lying about getting permission to dig and hurting myself digging so I'll .....ah...ummm....not dig! I'll show him!"
Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you of causing Xie to be a flake, just that you probably were why they disappeared forever at the very end. Which is probably not even a bad thing, to be honest. Nobody really cared at that point besides you so no big loss.

And I guess if you weren't there they probably still would have disappeared, only nobody would have even noticed. :shrug:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CrashCat posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you of causing Xie to be a flake, just that you probably were why they disappeared forever at the very end. Which is probably not even a bad thing, to be honest. Nobody really cared at that point besides you so no big loss.

And I guess if you weren't there they probably still would have disappeared, only nobody would have even noticed. :shrug:

lol you're just upset that someone was right in pointing out that you fell for a complete fantasy -- that anyone was ever going to dig.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

lol you're just upset that someone was right in pointing out that you fell for a complete fantasy -- that anyone was ever going to dig.
I made peace with that months ago bub, I was an idiot

Okay, still am

Edit: piece? F off autocorrect

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 26, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

There's no way it was you. I think "this is a major undertaking" met with "hey other parts of my life are more interesting/distracting" and they fell in love and had a baby with no holes dug in it.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hypothetically, could we round up all the author's family and acquaintances and waterboard info out of them? Is that wrong or

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the serious posts read like a play by play of a psychotic break

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Serious Frolicking posted:

the serious posts read like a play by play of a psychotic break

Is it really a break if it goes on forever though? One of the constants in my life is that Urban Smurf is still using protractors and leylines to locate buried treasure.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Is it really a break if it goes on forever though? One of the constants in my life is that Urban Smurf is still using protractors and leylines to locate buried treasure.

Let's see,

Chicago: count 10x13 feet from the absolute corner of Grant Park (between fence and fixture)
Cleveland: count 9 across and 10 down bricks on a giant wall
Milwaukee: use a divider or draft compass to protract your way from City Hall to a park 3 miles away, dig at the foot of a statue
Boston: connect two light posts and find an intersection with a third post that intersects with the letters on a gate across the street
Roanoke area: no special tools, but a person might consider how a plumb bob would hang from the end of an arm on a "telephone pole" or T-shaped structure while "looking north at a wing"
Charleston area: no special tools, locate a cistern at an old lighthouse building
New Orleans: no special tools, consider the problem like moving a knight on a giant chess board where one of 3 sculptures stand in a row and tomb number 21 intersects on one of the ranks
Houston: use a line of sight angle to connect two points of different height, (1) apex of theater, (2) center of a rhombus shape (four equal sides) in the Atropos sculpture

That's about the gist of it.

I think Boston is our best chance if anyone wants to have a successful dig. I have doubts about the others.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Urban Smurf posted:

I think Boston is our best chance if anyone wants to have a successful dig. I have doubts about the others.

The Charleston solution of "triangulate between outward pointing arms of two statues at white point gardens" solution seems very doable and extremely likely to me, but like most of the other solutions, digging there is wildly illegal and like many other people I don't want a felony charge.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

homullus posted:

There's no way it was you. I think "this is a major undertaking" met with "hey other parts of my life are more interesting/distracting" and they fell in love and had a baby with no holes dug in it.
As legit as some of his excuses at the time were, I still call bullshit on anyone not being up for a treasure hunt instead of hiking or going to a farmer's market or whatever the gently caress. "Oh, you want to go to the museum? Well I was going to dig up literal buried treasure in the park today, but sure, let's do your thing instead."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Charleston solution of "triangulate between outward pointing arms of two statues at white point gardens" solution seems very doable and extremely likely to me, but like most of the other solutions, digging there is wildly illegal and like many other people I don't want a felony charge.
You, or whoever, could just ask permission or let whomever runs things at these various parks know about this and just let the park have the glory.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brightman posted:

You, or whoever, could just ask permission or let whomever runs things at these various parks know about this and just let the park have the glory.

I believe this was attempted by a poster in this thread at some point, with regard to the Charleston site, and they were turned down. The problem is it's a historical site so it would have to be an archeological dig with all that entails.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I believe this was attempted by a poster in this thread at some point, with regard to the Charleston site, and they were turned down. The problem is it's a historical site so it would have to be an archeological dig with all that entails.
That's what made the Xie thing especially vexing to me, I think, cause they went to the trouble to go into detail about how they were getting permission to actually do this poo poo without getting put in jail. That was probably more interesting to me than actually digging a hole in the ground and now it's all but certain they were totally bullshitting about that

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Can we summon Xie to this thread? I'll dig on the Esplanade if he gives me his dude at MDC for permission.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Didn't they just ask if they could dig around though? I mean if someone could with a fair amount of certainty determine where it was, give them the info, and be like "yeah, just dig it up and maybe put it on display" then maybe they'd look into it and do just that. Granted that's more in the interest of solving the mystery than claiming the cask and selling it on eBay. Also there's still a good chance the park people just wouldn't care.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BigFactory posted:

Can we summon Xie to this thread? I'll dig on the Esplanade if he gives me his dude at MDC for permission.
Yeah, that was the other thing, they were all "if I can't do this I'll totally give up the info to someone who can" and then disappeared without doing either. :bang:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I see he hasn't posted at all since November, perhaps xie died. RIP xie.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, that was the other thing, they were all "if I can't do this I'll totally give up the info to someone who can" and then disappeared without doing either. :bang:

Because Xie never had the info in the first place. This is the whole thing. He had an excuse every time he was called on it:

1) ground is covered in snow
2) ground is too wet
3) ground is hard
4) hurt my wrist
5) school work
6) job
Etc etc

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
don't forget the "i can't dig cuz i've got friends coming by this weekend and we're going on a hike"

hey what do you guys want to do, dig for honest-to-god buried treasure or go for a hike?

hmmmm...tough choice, bro.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

Because Xie never had the info in the first place. This is the whole thing. He had an excuse every time he was called on it:

1) ground is covered in snow
2) ground is too wet
3) ground is hard
4) hurt my wrist
5) school work
6) job
Etc etc

Actual ground things are Real Issues. Digging in frozen ground suuuuucks. Xie may or may not have had the info. I hope it does exist and it gets passed on to somebody!

"Hurt my wrist" is . . . well, if you have help, you can do the tasks that that aren't very wrist-y. "Doing stuff with friends" is either trolling those of us who still believed or the clearest evidence that Xie had lost any real interest in doing it at that point.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
So did NeverBeenBanned ever come back to this thread after he "found" a cask on the west coast somewhere?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tony Homo posted:

Yeah, I agree. I mean, it seems loving psychopathic to make up all the details about how you got permission to dig but it seems even more cracked up to go through the effort to get that all set up and then not go through with it because someone was mean on the internet. At the very least you would just ignore the internet and get the poo poo done and get some sort of local interest story and your face on TV for your effort. So the simplest version is almost certainly the reality and they were lying about nearly everything. Which is a really hosed up thing to do in that amount of detail and I hope they got mental health assistance.

Remember this one:

xie posted:

chill, i didnt spend 3 years on this to bail. i dont have crippling goon anxieties, im also totally OK with being proven wrong. if i ever feel like this is something im not interested in i will gladly put the DCR in touch with someone else.
:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I have walked the path and have seen the clues that Xie came up with and I just can't get behind his theory. I am not even convinced that the painting points to Boston in any definitive way like the solved puzzles or some of the others do. No one has been able to concretely tie anything in that painting to anything in Boston.