Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

Totally agree - also, for what it's worth, the + seems to handle a low drop much better than the original. I have no problems reaching the 2nd crack. I usually roast 1/2 pounds, because I'm mainly making espresso, but the next roast I do for work I'll give a shot at 20 oz and see if there's any trouble.

Cool. I mean, the first batch I roasted I didn't really know about the nanny mode, and I was sitting right there going "What does un:30" mean? What is it counting down to? Is this that Rosetta Stone thing the manual mentioned? The hell?" And having the beans dump to cool in the middle of a rolling first crack. That batch is what my wife has been drinking drip on for the past week and I pulled a shot off of it for giggles: 100% drinkable. On a bean that I know will hit a bigtime first crack roll around nanny mode kickoff and carry enough heat into a good target zone? Load beans, hit buttons, walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alleric posted:

Cool. I mean, the first batch I roasted I didn't really know about the nanny mode, and I was sitting right there going "What does un:30" mean? What is it counting down to? Is this that Rosetta Stone thing the manual mentioned? The hell?" And having the beans dump to cool in the middle of a rolling first crack. That batch is what my wife has been drinking drip on for the past week and I pulled a shot off of it for giggles: 100% drinkable. On a bean that I know will hit a bigtime first crack roll around nanny mode kickoff and carry enough heat into a good target zone? Load beans, hit buttons, walk away.
I did the same thing - it was a light roast, but still a roast (as opposed to merely baked). I thought seriously about trying to roast them further after the cool down. I mean it'd still be coffee.

I really like the 'C' for crack - it seems to hit about perfect for me.

I roast 10 oz on the 1/2 lb setting, set a timer for 8 minutes, come hit 'Start', then set a timer for 2 minutes. With about 30 seconds left I start hearing the 1st crack and hit 'C' - so far that has worked perfectly for taking it just a few seconds into the 2nd crack. Your voltage may vary ;)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Before I say anything else, man that OP is so good; learned a lot while reading it.

Man am I glad to see this thread; I just got dumped into this crazy coffee world by taking on a contract to get an old school importer/distributor of high-end commercial espresso products online. They've been selling/servicing since 2000 but a lot of the internet has passed them by. My office is part storage so I'm surrounded by probably $200,000 worth of old school semi-automatic chrome and steel (and an equivalent amount of junky, plasticy super automatics). Will probably post questions here time to time when I don't understand something (e.g. I originally thought multi-boiler machines were so more than one person could use them simultaneously instead of being a coffee/steam/milk thing), and hopefully answer some once I get more up to speed.

Right now I'm interested in grinders; the owner here is excited for our shipment of the new Baratza Sette 270/Ws to come in. Everyone's saying they're going to be revolutionary for their price point, are they on anyone's radar?

Lastly I guess, I am surrounded by a bunch of this equipment. If anyone has specific questions on specific stuff I can look at like the doser interface on the Mazzer Kold Electronic or something like that.

EDIT-In retrospect, that sounds really markety. Sorry guys, the company does like $20k+ plumbed in commercial equipment mostly, and the ecommerce play is for B2B, I won't be insulting you all with sell-hards and links to the site. Though I am trying to convince the owner to buy some of that Royal Mile guys' coffee.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 14, 2016

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Is anyone here familiar with Anderson's Coffee in Austin? It's a local roaster with constantly rotating selection, but I think it's kind of hit or miss. I love the current Peru single origin—nutty notes but otherwise very balanced. I'm looking for an option that's in their permanent selection that would be similar. I thought Colombia was supposed to be similar to Peru, but I definitely don't like their Colombia, too much body and too thick in the mouth, not a lot of nuttiness or sweetness.

What should I look for in coffees in general to reproduce for a balanced nutty flavor with little tartness and not too heavy in the mouth?

Here's their selection of that helps. https://andersonscoffee.com/shop/fresh-roasted-coffee-beans/

I'd love to find something from them that I can buy regularly because their store is great and very convenient to my house.

mulls fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 14, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm curious if you've been to Lance Armstrong's coffee shop: Juan Pelota. It's in Austin and that's the best name. Juan(one) Ball

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm curious if you've been to Lance Armstrong's coffee shop: Juan Pelota. It's in Austin and that's the best name. Juan(one) Ball

I've never been but now I want to. Mellow Johnny's is great.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow this stuff is cool. I was pulling shots off an ECM semi-automatic that they let me goof off on because it was the "cheap one" (around $3k). Used three different grinders and was amazed at what a difference it makes.

Also those super automatic machines are lame, we've got some super-expensive ones but all you do is push a button. I've never done this before and I could already tell a difference in crema/froth from me doing a manual wanding versus the super automatic.

EDIT-I've also had a loooooooooot of coffee today so some of that might not make any sense.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

These are my current coffee options.

I think I'll be switching to tea until I can bring a french press and some at least palatable coffee with me on my next hitch.

I think I did a little better on this hitch.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ch3cooh posted:

I think I did a little better on this hitch.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Well, poo poo. I think the pump on my Gaggia Classic just failed.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Well, poo poo. I think the pump on my Gaggia Classic just failed.
No water from the group head all of a sudden? How about from the steam wand?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

bizwank posted:

No water from the group head all of a sudden? How about from the steam wand?

1. No longer making the loud pump sound
2. very weak trickle of water through the group and almost nothing through the steam wand (the steam function works fine)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A suddenly quiet pump is usually a clog (something upstream preventing water from actually moving through the system, not in the pump itself), and pump failure is usually marked by a gradual, not sudden, loss in pressure. I would remove the pump outlet hose from the inlet on the boiler (#32/34 in the diagram below) and run it again, see if the tone or pressure changes; if so that points to a clog in the boiler itself, probably caused by calcium or aluminum flake from the boiler corroding. Descaling might clear it up but if you can't get water through you'll need to pull the boiler out and manually clean/rebuild it.

If there's no change in tone/pressure with the hose off then I would try hitting the pump inlet with some compressed air while it's running and see if that changes anything (might clear out a clog or un-stick a valve). If none of that makes a difference to the flow then you probably have a bad pump.

http://partsguru.com/user/Parts%20dagram%20ER0182_Rev01.pdf

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Alright, thanks! I'll see what I can do about it.

Honestly I was kind of hoping this is would be a good excuse to just upgrade. In case I go that route, what's a good machine for ~$1000?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

When's the last time you descaled; ie ran some Cafiza etc through the system? Does the Gaggia backflush? Anyway, what bizwank said; sounds like a blockage somewhere.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Honestly I was kind of hoping this is would be a good excuse to just upgrade. In case I go that route, what's a good machine for ~$1000?
Rancilio Silvia with a PID is pretty solid and functionally identical to your Gaggia but with digital temp control. Can often be found used (check Craigslist) and as long as it heats and moves water it will need a cleaning and brewhead gasket at most.

porktree posted:

When's the last time you descaled; ie ran some Cafiza etc through the system? Does the Gaggia backflush? Anyway, what bizwank said; sounds like a blockage somewhere.
Cafiza is not a descaler! :science: You want Dezcal or Urnex for that, Cafiza is for backflushing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

bizwank posted:

Rancilio Silvia with a PID is pretty solid and functionally identical to your Gaggia but with digital temp control. Can often be found used (check Craigslist) and as long as it heats and moves water it will need a cleaning and brewhead gasket at most.

Cafiza is not a descaler! :science: You want Dezcal or Urnex for that, Cafiza is for backflushing.

Ha, thats what I get for relying on my memory.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought a crappy pod machine 2 years ago and slowly came to the conclusion that I wanted to get a bit more serious about my morning coffee. So, after 6 months of saving and research I've managed to deck out my coffee corner.

Things I've learned so far:

• The stepless mod for a Nemox Lux grinder is super simple, I took photos and wrote up the process..
  • Installing the Silvia wand on the 2015 Gaggia Classic is now a pain in the rear end, but still a straight swap.
  • The Classic now also doesn't ship with any unpressurised filter baskets
  • The espro callibrated tamper is great, as I only make 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day it means the only variable I need to care about is my grind fineness.

I'm incredibly excited to become an unbearable coffee snob.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've only descaled my Rocket Cellini once in nearly 5 years and it was a huge pita and I probably knocked years off the pump life trying to run enough clean water through it to get rid of the acidic taste, meh. Not bothering with it again.

I have really good water quality in my area of NorCal though and at least run whatever is going into the machine through a Brita first.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
My new Dutch coffee tower has English instructions, but they look like it was translated and written by my Korean lawyers at the patent law firm. All the water dripped down the side and most of it was dry in the fillable pulverized coffee container. About tossed the whole drat thing out. Anyone doing Dutch coffee that have a good tutorial they can link?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I've only descaled my Rocket Cellini once in nearly 5 years and it was a huge pita and I probably knocked years off the pump life trying to run enough clean water through it to get rid of the acidic taste, meh. Not bothering with it again.

I have really good water quality in my area of NorCal though and at least run whatever is going into the machine through a Brita first.

When people come in asking us when they should descale we say "basically never" given how soft the water is here (Pacific Northwest). But that's mostly to head off people who think doing it every six months/year is required; 5 years is probably a pretty good time to do it if NorCal is as soft as ours.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
What are people's preferred brewing method with Aeropress? I just got one and have been mostly doing the inverted method from the reigning world champ (https://worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/) and topping off with hot water

It seems like there are a million different proportions and timings that people use and I'm still trying things out trying to figure out what I like

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I do the method described in the manual, except I measure the beans by weight: 25g for a double, water at 175 degrees, fill to the top of the number, stir for 10 long seconds, plunge with the weight of the arm.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

When people come in asking us when they should descale we say "basically never" given how soft the water is here (Pacific Northwest). But that's mostly to head off people who think doing it every six months/year is required; 5 years is probably a pretty good time to do it if NorCal is as soft as ours.
I own a repair shop in Seattle; PNW water is softer then most but home machines should still be descaled at 2-4x a year to keep them healthy as scale buildup causes real issues in their tiny boilers and can easily take half the life off a machine. Commercial machines like you're working with are usually hooked up to water softeners so descaling isn't necessary, but they're entirely different creatures from the equipment most people in this thread have and "don't bother descaling" is just plain bad advice.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bizwank posted:

I own a repair shop in Seattle; PNW water is softer then most but home machines should still be descaled at 2-4x a year to keep them healthy as scale buildup causes real issues in their tiny boilers and can easily take half the life off a machine. Commercial machines like you're working with are usually hooked up to water softeners so descaling isn't necessary, but they're entirely different creatures from the equipment most people in this thread have and "don't bother descaling" is just plain bad advice.

Yeah, sorry. You're exactly right about where I was coming from, though for the record I'm in Vancouver BC and we apparently have the softest water in Canada (I've seen it reported as low as 3mg/l fresh off the mountain, 20-30 from reservoir). Given that metric, for the domestics they'll generally say every six months or if you notice a flavour change.

NOTE: I don't know crap, don't take my advice.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

For home machines (single/dual boiler) a change in quality or quantity of steam produced is usually the first indicator of scale buildup; if you don't deal with it then you're on the road to a clog and/or an overheated boiler herniating a gasket or rupturing the heating element. Not trying to scare anyone but yeah, if you care about your machine, descale it.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Descaling HX machines is a pain in the rear end, which is why most manufacturers suggest using an in-line water softener to keep the minerals from getting in there in the first place; Brita filters and the like do basically nothing in this regard. Since you've got soft water you're better off than most, but that 5 year descaling cycle might be taking half the life off of a machine that could otherwise last decades, and there's no way to know until something goes wrong. It's really not out of line with how most people treat their machines though (*car analogy*), which mostly comes down to human nature, and I make a pretty good living off of it so no judgements here :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I see 8oz cans of cold brew coffee selling for $4 each. This is insane. Cold brew is super low effort it's not some exotic drink.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

I see 8oz cans of cold brew coffee selling for $4 each. This is insane. Cold brew is super low effort it's not some exotic drink.

But if you made it yourself you wouldn't be seen drinking from a cool can. See: Starbucks.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

La Colombe's 12 oz. bottles are $4 each too, but that's not really much more than what Starbucks charges for their lovely cold brew.

Definitely expensive, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't you notice that there are two extra words in front of 'coffee'? That doesn't come cheap.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

bizwank posted:

For home machines (single/dual boiler) a change in quality or quantity of steam produced is usually the first indicator of scale buildup; if you don't deal with it then you're on the road to a clog and/or an overheated boiler herniating a gasket or rupturing the heating element. Not trying to scare anyone but yeah, if you care about your machine, descale it.

Descaling HX machines is a pain in the rear end, which is why most manufacturers suggest using an in-line water softener to keep the minerals from getting in there in the first place; Brita filters and the like do basically nothing in this regard. Since you've got soft water you're better off than most, but that 5 year descaling cycle might be taking half the life off of a machine that could otherwise last decades, and there's no way to know until something goes wrong. It's really not out of line with how most people treat their machines though (*car analogy*), which mostly comes down to human nature, and I make a pretty good living off of it so no judgements here :)

All right all right I'll descale the drat thing again. I'll probably not do the entire take it apart and pull the fill sensor switch again as after the top is off the water reservoir will just flop around with this particular model. Last time I did a descale - the water after an hour hadn't changed color at all (unlike the videos on youtube). Apparently my water in western Placer county from Auburn to Roseville is somewhere between 11 and 27 hardness over the last few years.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 28, 2016

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled my Gaggia Classic. It works!!! But now there's a leak somewhere and steam comes out the top of the machine when I froth milk. God I'm tired of opening this thing up.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Lately I've been testing the same coffee with both Hario and Chemex filters (using the Chemex glass vessel every time), and I'm finding sometimes I prefer Hario filters. For my current Yrgacheffe from Third Coast Coffee, the extra body you get with Hario filters helps balance the wine notes. With Chemex filters, the wine is more pronounced, which is novel at first but grows cloying.

Just a heads up to everyone that Hario filters work great in Chemex brewers.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled my Gaggia Classic. It works!!! But now there's a leak somewhere and steam comes out the top of the machine when I froth milk. God I'm tired of opening this thing up.

Did you replace the gasket on the bottom of the steam valve when you rebuilt it? Run it with the top off, the source of the leak should be obvious.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought a baratza encore and I like it, it works well, was a good price, but it is loud. What are some grinder options that aren't so loud. I mean, I can deal with loud, but this is kind of on the boundary of what I can put up with every morning.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are all loud. I've had two different Barataza models and there is minimal difference. You can go manual grinder which is much quieter.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I figured that might be the case, thanks.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Just had a shot of espresso at Revolver in downtown Van.

"Surprise me"

My god, sweet manna from heaven.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nofeed posted:

Just had a shot of espresso at Revolver in downtown Van.

"Surprise me"

My god, sweet manna from heaven.

That's a nice shop, I went there while visiting the PNW last September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I made it through my first semester of anesthesia school fueled in large part by my stash of beans. I drank all of the coffee so I bought some more. Evidently 10lbs a semester is just right.

I told myself that I was going to hold off on venturing down the espresso rabbit hole but I have run across a couple machines on the cheap,w specifically Rancilio Silvias. Do goons like these machines or should I seek out a Gaggia?