Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The miniature Primordial Serpent statue is still the most random rear end what the gently caress piece of lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone else is having trouble with the Lothric Castle dragons and would like some better tips than "just run lol", I think I finally figured out how they work. They breathe fire based on their vision, but their vision isn't like most enemies in the game. You'll notice they swing their heads around a lot, and the trick is that they won't see you while they're swinging their head.

Once you've dropped down from the bridge and ran around the side path, go up against this wall and wait for the dragon to start swinging its head, then run. If you run while it's head is down/not swinging it will immediately see you as soon as you get to the top of the stairs and you won't make it halfway across the courtyard before getting roasted (the problem I was having).

I knew there had to be a trick to it, and by doing this you'll get through 100% of the time without taking any fire damage.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kiggles posted:

Check your driver control panel settings as well: make sure you didn't set your global texture filtering quality option to "Performance". Same for in RadeonPro, since it can have global level controls. You want it up there at "High", which is the default, not "Standard".-

I basically agree with this sentiment, but I'm by no means "done". But for real... this game.

Something about the core design is fundamentally flawed. ANY time I try to get fancy and use heavy attacks (nevermind charged attacks) 2hand my weapon, or block, roll-counter, etc etc etc, I get punished. Move in and spam R1? Success.

What. The. gently caress.
It would be one thing if I was being punished for the R1 spam as well and I just had to "git gud", but that isn't even the case. It just makes more sense to play this like it's loving Skyrim.

PvP fairs a little better, but the simple facts of the matter are, R1 spam is incredibly difficult to punish. Roll spamming is almost impossible to punish without the fastest of weapons. The faster your weapon, both the harder it is for you to be punished, and the more able you are to punish roll spammers. Meanwhile, the perfect storm of speed, range and power is a thing, and the results are as expected. Just let the Estoc fight itself.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Had to yank my cable to stop getting summoned as a faithful long enough to remove the covenant, jfc.

Least I now know where to mound make.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tykero posted:

I've noticed personally that stacking Poise allows me to follow through with attacks on my Exile Greatsword when hit earlier in the attack's active frames. It's most noticeable on rolling attacks and R1 trades with faster weapons.

Do you mean with R1 or R2 attacks? I've been able to stagger people doing R1 with ultra greatswords in PVP reliably. Is it just that they don't have enough Poise? My own experiments seem to indicate that around 30~ Poise is a solid initial breakpoint against lighter weapons (Claymore attacks stop being interrupted as easily vs. the tutorial zone Hollows).

(I suspect that Poise would stop being such a negative focal point if From Software would just loving tell people what it does. It's outrageous that this is the third game in a row where they've given little to no information on what a core stat in their game does. If I have to rely on people on Reddit telling me what something does, your game is poorly documented!)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Finally finished the game after playing since the international release. It took about 42 hours to finish. I love DS2 and it might still be might favorite, but my biggest complaint about it was that combat was too heavily focused on waiting and reacting to your enemies. I'm glad that this game changed that. But, I don't like that dodging and healing is so powerful and that everything does so much damage in return, especially in the late game. I refused to play with a straight sword after starting a character that relied heavily on them, however I still felt combat boiled down to spamming roll with the blood ring whenever I was in danger and then hitting R1 a couple times when I was safe. Quick reactions were more important than strategy comparative to previous games since I could dodge almost everything and then heal back easily when I made a mistake. I especially hated Lothric castle, at least until I beat the boss there. The archives were cool and the last two bosses were absolutely amazing and completely dispelled any bad feelings I had towards the game.

My remaining gripes:

-Everyone knows this, but weapon balance is hosed.

-Too much cool stuff comes too late and there's no way to sequence break and get it sooner. Before the game was released, I checked the wikis for weapons I wanted to try and every single one of them (Dragonslayer spear/swordspear, Onikiri and Ubadachi, twin swords, drakeblood greatsword, lothric holy sword) was only available in the very end of the game. It's almost impossible to deal lightning damage before two thirds of the game is finished. Once I found Onikiri and Ubadachi, I realized that's what I'd like to have played the game with, except the game was already over. Other souls games have had this, but it's especially bad here.

-Compounding the previous issue, many of the early weapons have identical movesets to what they had in DS1. Others are very similar. You have to wait quite a while to get many new and unique weapons, which feels bizarre in a sequel.

-Another, similar issue was that many of the weapons animations were a huge step back. It hurts me to look at the thrusting sword animations in this game because while DS2 had issues with its animations, they made the thrusts look really, really good. The human body cannot move in the way the character thrusts with a rapier in this game, and if it somehow did, it sure wouldn't hurt anyone.

Pleasant surprises:

-Once I saw they went with DS1 weapon animations, I thought I could say goodbye to the cool HEMA greatsword moves from DS2, but they're back and actually good, rather than just flashy. Loads of hyperarmor frames, quick attacks in the two-handed moveset and the stance skill make for cool and versatile weapons.

-Other than the DS2 moveset greatswords, I liked katanas best, which I've always avoided previously. They give the feel that straight swords gave in previous games, which is versatility over raw power.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I love DS2 and it might still be might favorite,

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone's been following Nioh, the Souls-clone spiritual successor to Onimusha, apparently there's a demo out on PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZAIEVsi9c

I do mean Souls-clone. Basically identical stats and leveling system, bloodstains from other players, summoning other players, all that good stuff. They do have a cool thing that lets you preview what new skills/spells do before you get them. Also apparently player bloodstains aren't just "see how this dude died"--instead, you summon their revenant and can fight them for an item.

Looks kinda fun, though. The spear this player starts using around 40 minutes in looks insanely cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In my experience DS3's pvp is a race to see who gives up rolling in circles so they can get punished immediately the fastest followed by more rolling followed by chugging followed by a second lap.

Alternately you just set them on fire and they panic and roll even more. :v:

e: Or they're hacking and nothing matters

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 26, 2016

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Deckit posted:

Lore talk about the two dragons in the greater Lothric area that guard the gate.

When I killed one dragon, the other immediately died as well and I didn't get any souls. Thought that was weird and was miffed but whatever the gate was free. Then as I was exploring, I found a hollow with the eerie tentacle abyss dragons coming out of them, always near a dragons body. When killing them, I'd get a large amount of souls and the body of the dragon they were near would disappear and leave an item. I think they were chunks? I thought that was interesting as hell and gave some implications of what the squiggly messes could be.

How did you kill the dragons before reaching the abyss things? It seemed like the intended way through that area was to drop down, go around the left side, cross the center behind the dragons, and then when you climb up the ladder on the right side you fight the abyss corruption attached to the leg or something of the right dragon. Killing that kills the first dragon. Then if you drop down near the Dragonslayer Armor door behind the other dragon there is another abyss thing attached to the left dragon that you can kill.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Kiggles posted:

Weapons with bleed damage. :downs:

Seriously, almost any bleed weapon will work, but can have varying degrees of dependence upon the bleed. Bandit Knife relies heavily on bleed, so it won't really work very well until you can infuse for bleed, with good luck, and slapping Carthus Rouge on there. Warden Twinblades are fairly similar, but fair a little better as normal weapons that also happen to bleed.

Morning Star also works, having high base damage, letting you dump more stats into Luck on a raw infusion to still maintain OK base damage. Also blunt damage which is pretty good for a lot of NPCs that don't bleed.

Barbed Straight is nice - not as fast as bandit or Warden, but it's still a straight sword for all the perks of having a straight sword.

Pick whatever weapon you like and fiddle with your stats to make it work. Bleed is generally good. Even the Flamberge gets an honorable mention in this regard. not a great bleed weapon, but it's still a good greatsword (claymore moveset) that has better range AND bleed.

I tried a morning star with a luck build and hollow infusion and it was not good for bleeding things. It's an ok weapon aside from the bleeding (short range so not great for PVP but not self-gimping or anything) but I respecced and made it heavy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

How did you kill the dragons before reaching the abyss things? It seemed like the intended way through that area was to drop down, go around the left side, cross the center behind the dragons, and then when you climb up the ladder on the right side you fight the abyss corruption attached to the leg or something of the right dragon. Killing that kills the first dragon. Then if you drop down near the Dragonslayer Armor door behind the other dragon there is another abyss thing attached to the left dragon that you can kill.

Shoot them with arrows until one of them dies. It will kill the other one as well.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I tried a morning star with a luck build and hollow infusion and it was not good for bleeding things. It's an ok weapon aside from the bleeding (short range so not great for PVP but not self-gimping or anything) but I respecced and made it heavy.

Morning Star is too slow to really effectively bleed things. You want either the Barbed Straight Sword or Anri's Straight Sword. Put Carthus Rouge on your weapon and you can kill bosses like Pontiff Sulyvahn in under 20 seconds.

Here is an example clip of Distortion2 absolutely murdering Pontiff.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 26, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Harrow posted:

Anyone want a weapon with innate lightning damage that can still be infused and buffed? Behold: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Dragonslayer's+Axe

Innate, non-scaling 180 lightning damage. Get base stats to wield, make it Raw (its physical damage should go up to like 200ish and its lightning damage stays at 180), use Lightning Blade and wear a Lightning Clutch Ring with 60 Faith. Enjoy a combined 680ish AR, with all but 200 or so being lightning. That's a lot of pure elemental damage. It's like a total reversal of the usual buff build.
that would have been really really helpful in my herald run, but I respecced and it turns out that pisses Sirris off.

To be honest, I probably shouldn't have done a hybrid for my first character

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Toady posted:

I think it's due to changes to bonfires during development. There are seemingly useless shortcuts throughout the game, like the one that skips the Anor Londo archers, which you'll never use because there's a bonfire at the start of the next area. Bonfire placement is also inconsistent; Catacombs doesn't have a starting bonfire.

I swear that some of them only exist to make it easier for invaders to get to you and if you leave them closed they'll take longer to reach you.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

-Once I saw they went with DS1 weapon animations, I thought I could say goodbye to the cool HEMA greatsword moves from DS2, but they're back and actually good, rather than just flashy. Loads of hyperarmor frames, quick attacks in the two-handed moveset and the stance skill make for cool and versatile weapons.
Yeah, I had no idea why people keep complaining about poise, but I went through most of the game with the Hollowslayer which, as you said, has loads of hyperarmor frames. After briefly switching to the BKS it turned out to be kind of an outlier when it comes to that. Too bad only the Hollowslayer and Drakeblood have that moveset, though, having actual hyper-armor and longsword-level stamina consumption on a greatsword is amazing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

If anyone's been following Nioh, the Souls-clone spiritual successor to Onimusha, apparently there's a demo out on PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZAIEVsi9c

I do mean Souls-clone. Basically identical stats and leveling system, bloodstains from other players, summoning other players, all that good stuff. They do have a cool thing that lets you preview what new skills/spells do before you get them. Also apparently player bloodstains aren't just "see how this dude died"--instead, you summon their revenant and can fight them for an item.

Looks kinda fun, though. The spear this player starts using around 40 minutes in looks insanely cool.

This looks extremely my jam. But console exclusives. :argh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've honestly found most shortcuts useless since they added free teleporting between bonfires in ds2. Since there's no need for back doors leading to the main hub anymore, the distance covered by most of them is so short it hardly makes a difference.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well i shamefully died to oiceros the first attempt but made up for it by not getting hit on the second. probably would have killed it first attempt had i not kept trying to do charge attacks that missed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jose posted:

well i shamefully died to oiceros the first attempt but made up for it by not getting hit on the second. probably would have killed it first attempt had i not kept trying to do charge attacks that missed

Oceiros was much scarier looking than he actually was to fight, I liked his talking though and I wish more bosses would do that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

that would have been really really helpful in my herald run, but I respecced and it turns out that pisses Sirris off.

To be honest, I probably shouldn't have done a hybrid for my first character

Yeah, hybrids are pretty demanding in this, and if you want to use one as a PvP build you're going to have to sacrifice pretty heavily on Vigor and Endurance to get there.

I still wanna do it, though, especially because I'm like 8 Proofs away from Darkmoon Blade and my weird, mutant ability to get summoned as a Darkmoon means I'll probably get that tonight. But something tells me 27 Vigor and 20 Endurance ain't gonna cut it at SL 120, which is what I'm going to need to do if I want 16 Strength, 40 Dex, and 60 Faith (gotta use them Twinswords and the Dragonslayer Swordspear) :v:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Ugh, Just got out of the Pontiff fight, and started to fight the two Drangleic dudes when I get invaded. Guy rushes me while I'm fighting the mace NPC, and after a brief struggle I end up killing both of them. Immediately after he dies I get invaded by another guy. We have a good 3-4 minute bout but I'm running out of estus at this point and his Estoc is lag stabbing me from really weird directions, so eventually he kills me and THEN I see a notification of a bluecop incoming to help me. Too little too late, game.

I didn't even have any summons, the game just felt like making GBS threads on me there with invasions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

Ugh, Just got out of the Pontiff fight, and started to fight the two Drangleic dudes when I get invaded. Guy rushes me while I'm fighting the mace NPC, and after a brief struggle I end up killing both of them. Immediately after he dies I get invaded by another guy. We have a good 3-4 minute bout but I'm running out of estus at this point and his Estoc is lag stabbing me from really weird directions, so eventually he kills me and THEN I see a notification of a bluecop incoming to help me. Too little too late, game.

I didn't even have any summons, the game just felt like making GBS threads on me there with invasions.

That's basically the PvP hotspot, so yeah, you ember up there and you're definitely getting invaded, probably by two people at once.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Welp,

That about does it. Wraps 'er all up. Great game, probably my favorite of the series.

I'll probably kind of quit playing until the game's been patched a few more times. All I'm doing now is just plopping my sign down at Archives all day and making INSANE amounts of souls just doing whatever the host happens to be doing from that bonfire. Sometimes Crystal Sage, sometimes the Twin Brothers, sometimes the Fat Angels, sometimes the Three Gankers, and everything in-between. With CSS + Shield of Want it can be anywhere between 90K and 250K per summon...that buys a lot of upgrade materials.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Nameless King down, most deaths since Pontiff Sullyvahn, at 6. My winning attempt had me ditching my chloranthy and sun princess rings for the phys/lightning resist rings which let me survive 3 hits from the 2nd phase instead of only 2 massively improving how effective my estus healing was. Also put away my dragonslayer spear since he's unsurprisingly very resistant to lightning damage, was doing almost 50 more damage a hit with a lothric spear instead. Sure did have a lot of weirdly delayed attacks that hit for at least 600 damage on top of everything else.

Tamayachi posted:

That's just how that zone works, if you're in the level range most people are for that zone you continually get swamped in Aldrich Faithful invasions regardless of phantom count.

VagueRant posted:

Holy poo poo, I assumed the thread title was a joke. I had no idea it was real.

Also found out there's an area I missed where you can fight more of those ribcagey catmonsters from the Irithyll bridge?
You know about the Dancer, right?

You can fight the dancer early but all you gain access to is the Lothric Castle, Untended Graves and Consumed Gardens early, there's not that many weapons locked behind those unless you really want one of the boss soul weapons. Grand Archives are blocked off until you've fought the first 3 lords of cinder.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 26, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Also found out there's an area I missed where you can fight more of those ribcagey catmonsters from the Irithyll bridge?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

-Too much cool stuff comes too late and there's no way to sequence break and get it sooner.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've finally got the equip load required to have the fume ultra great sword and dark sword equipped at the same time with the grass crest shield. fashion souls isn't really happening though

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I just thought the game was getting revenge because I one-shot Pontiff on that run, no parries, no shield. I went on to one shot Aldritch after that so I can't wait to get double invaded in a bit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

I just thought the game was getting revenge because I one-shot Pontiff on that run, no parries, no shield. I went on to one shot Aldritch after that so I can't wait to get double invaded in a bit.

Irithyll is a blessing for people like me for whom Darkmoon actually works. My Darkmoon dude is SL 65 and last night I got summoned like five times in a half hour of playing there, it was amazing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What's with the sudden DS2 hate brigade?

The worst part of the game was dex being noticably worse than str and they may have fixed that since?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tykero posted:

Poise is not "turned off." It's just not Dark Souls 1 style Poise (somebody just found the vestiges of that system that was programmed but not implemented into Dark Souls 3).

Poise affects your hyper armor frames. It's more noticeable with some actions and weapons than others.

Here's a fun video with some demonstrations of it affecting rolling (and some good tips)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQRlXJyPoA

I've noticed personally that stacking Poise allows me to follow through with attacks on my Exile Greatsword when hit earlier in the attack's active frames. It's most noticeable on rolling attacks and R1 trades with faster weapons.

Edit: I'm currently running about 30 Poise and have few problems with R1 spammers and Estocs. R1 spammers are extremely easy to parry, and using a heavy weapon + hornet ring means a parry results in instant death. I trade with Estocs all day - they get in a 300~600 damage poke depending on if they're buffstacked and using Leo Ring, I get an R1 L2 R2 combo that deals 800~1200 damage and finish them off with a running attack at the end of one of their panic rolls that inevitably follows.

then how do you explain the video where they adjusted the value and poise is clearly working as it's worked in every other souls game? You say that its more noticable with some actions and weapons than others, but have you actually used a majority of weapons or just greatweapons? because a lot of weapons straight up do not have hyper armor.

gently caress, the caestus' weapon art is supposed to give you poise, and it doesn't have hyper armor. You can't say "oh well its supposed to be used in your offhand" because when you use the caestus in your left hand it's does a parry instead of its art. I think the regular mace is the same way. That video just demonstrates what poise does right now. It's not turned off completely, it's just not doing what is seems like its supposed to (due to some weapon arts, especially ones that don't give you hyper armor on attacks) in a major case.

You talk about your poise build but then you go on to say that you just parry or trade. Those have nothing to do with poise, unless your "trade" means that their attack just continues through you instead of staggering you, and if that's the case I'd like to see someone demonstrate that happening when they're not in the middle of an attack designed specifically to allow that to happen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

The worst part of the game was dex being noticably worse than str and they may have fixed that since?

Nothin' sudden about DS2 hate on the Something Awful forums.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

voltcatfish posted:

It's not a bad game but it's the worst Souls game by far and it's basically obsolete now that DS3 is out

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Harrow posted:

Get a Dark Sword, level Strength, make it Heavy. It's probably the strongest PvE weapon right now. Fast, very high damage.

is refined better than heavy? i can pump both stats to softcaps (40?) at 95 ish

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pablo Gigante posted:

He was much less annoying for me than Ancient Wyvern

I already knew AW's gimmick before I stepped into the ring, so he was just a free kill, really.

Also, I almost beat Yhorm without resorting to the gimmick because it turns out the Black Knight Greataxe with War Cry does a poo poo ton of damage.

The BKGA is less good against NK though, because if you hit him he will hit you before you have a chance to recover from one attack animation. And it will hurt.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

VagueRant posted:

still have to go thru gently caress mountain to get to irythyll :/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lotish posted:

I already knew AW's gimmick before I stepped into the ring, so he was just a free kill, really.

I did too but the snake dudes kept loving me up on the way. Especially the last guy with the chain-axe

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

is refined better than heavy? i can pump both stats to softcaps (40?) at 95 ish

You can try them both out and see the AR + scaling at Andre. If you can get them both to 40, though, I'd expect Refined would be better.

According to the wiki:
  • Heavy gets you 212 base AR at +10, with A Strength scaling and no Dexterity scaling.
  • Refined gets you 207 base AR at +10, with B/B Strength/Dexterity scaling.
Basically, if Refined isn't meaningfully better at 40/40 than Heavy then I don't know anything about scaling at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think Majula is a better hub than DS3 Firelink :(

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Pablo Gigante posted:

I did too but the snake dudes kept loving me up on the way. Especially the last guy with the chain-axe

I want that fuckin chain axe

voltcatfish posted:

I think Majula is a better hub than DS3 Firelink :(

I like them both, in different ways, though Majula felt more peaceful and its tune was very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I feel comfortable calling DS3 Poise broken since the fix seems quite easy for From to implement. If there's some long-lasting, not readily apparent problem with enabling it that we're not aware of, well, that sounds broken to me too!