Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

pseudorandom name posted:

oh, good, that really simplifies the explanation of why grsecurity isn't in the mainline kernel

because spender is a tremendous dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

OSI bean dip posted:

This patchset brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

OSI bean dip posted:

guys, don't call out grsec/spender on vulnerabilities or he'll block you on twitter and deny your ip from accessing his site

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/724745886794833920

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/724831935818809345

he also blocked people that liked / rt'd those tweets

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

OwnCloud, for your own cloud
also so your home network can get owned on the cloud

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

he also blocked people that liked / rt'd those tweets

am i the only one who wondered for a second when steve gibson started getting into the open source business?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

goddamnedtwisto posted:

am i the only one who wondered for a second when steve gibson started getting into the open source business?

nope, i had to check the tweet for unnecessary capitalization

must be really hard to handcraft tweets in 100% pure x86 assembly language

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*raises paw*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

that is hardly a guaranteed DQ

sorry for music derail

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

must be really hard to handcraft tweets in 100% pure x86 assembly language

Subjunctive posted:

sorry for music derail

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ghost Farts posted:

i think every synology nas can do that through synology's apps for android or ios. i'm not sure about synology's security track record though
i've only saw and heard bad things about synology, doesn't stop everyone recommending them though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've only saw and heard bad things about synology, doesn't stop everyone recommending them though

tbf whenever I look up consumer NAS equipment I only ever find bad things and people declaring that ${brand} is the worst NAS ever made I should have went with ${other brand}

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
QNAP is the worst NAS ever made and you should have gone with ${anything else}

their NAS boxes run customized linux kernels with a new LVM segment type they made up, so if you have it set up in a certain way (whole-device iSCSI) good luck accessing your data with standard tools if the storage box's own software is malfunctioning!

at least they actually follow the GPL requirements and publish their source code, had to carefully splice some of their kernel storage subsystem changes into a stock 3.4.6 kernel and recompile their tweaked lvm2 command line tools against the distro i was using, to keep my old research group from losing about 22TB

gently caress QNAP

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i am strictly talking about security atm though, not extra features consumers nitpick over

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
extra features irrelevant consumer anklebiters nitpick over like being able to actually recover your data

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

synology's actual nas is solid, but all of the things that aren't "store things on a hard drive" that they put out (like the video and music apps) are at best a bit poo poo.

in security fuckup/loving news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36139310

quote:

Data stolen from a dating website aimed at "beautiful people only" has been traded online.

The details of more than a million members including their weight, height, job, and phone numbers were discovered unencrypted online in December 2015.

They have now been sold on the black market, said security expert Troy Hunt.

The firm said the data belonged to members who joined before July 2015 and that no passwords or financial information were included.

Security researcher Chris Vickery, who originally discovered it, told the BBC the firm acted quickly after he notified them - but by then, data had already been sold on.

"They published it openly to the world with no protection whatsoever," he said.

Beautiful People originally claimed the content was from a test server but Mr Vickery said the data itself was still genuine.

i'm sure i've heard the name chris vickery before, isn't he the guy who just scans for open mongodb instances? also lol at "oh it was just a test server", because apparently that makes it okay

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

extra features irrelevant consumer anklebiters nitpick over like being able to actually recover your data
lysidas' post wasn't up when i posted, just remember synolocker existed

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i'm sure i've heard the name chris vickery before, isn't he the guy who just scans for open mongodb instances? also lol at "oh it was just a test server", because apparently that makes it okay
yeah security research at mackeeper: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36128745

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

lysidas' post wasn't up when i posted, just remember synolocker existed

yeah security research at mackeeper: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36128745

oh yeah that's it - didn't he get that job after telling them that they'd left their db open too?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
it was just a test server.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

that we populated with production data

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's okay [investors], it was just a test server [so we don't have to have any downtime and can keep accepting money]!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I took it to mean that it was just test data but that's me being waaaay too generous

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

tbf whenever I look up consumer NAS equipment I only ever find bad things and people declaring that ${brand} is the worst NAS ever made I should have went with ${other brand}

nases are the opposite of password managers. everyone hates the one they tried the first

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I took it to mean that it was just test data but that's me being waaaay too generous

lol all the "test environments" our customers have set up that we develop against are just copies of the production databases. and it's not like piddly stupid little companies either it's big huge ones full of juicy deets

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/724961256751423489

:allears:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

sending credentials in plaintext is what all the cool kids are doing now

e: shaggar'd again

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2016

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MononcQc posted:

Is there any decent material on using AEAD crypto stuff someone knows? Like what the hell do I do with that AAD stuff and whatnot? I can figure out how to use things, but generally "try it and figure it out" is a great way to do stupid poo poo with crypto.

the nacl/libsodium stuff should be generally foolproof, except if you repeat the nonce, then you're really really hosed, so don't do that.
i don't know why they let you get so hosed, there are safer constructions they could use by default that are just a bit slower
use different keys for sending and receiving. use different keys for everything!

the additional data you use for things you can't encrypt but still want to verify, for instance sender and receiver addresses if they're needed for routing, but you don't want them to be modified
it's usually empty ime because you can't verify the ip stuff because nat, and just encrypt everything else because why not

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
today I discovered a web mail client where the login page is HTTP by default but you can click a link to go to the secure HTTPS login page if you want

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

deep impact on vhs posted:

sending credentials in plaintext is what all the cool kids are doing now

e: shaggar'd again

"yeah it doesn't matter who I'm sending it to, as long as its encrypted!!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qntm posted:

today I discovered a web mail client where the login page is HTTP by default but you can click a link to go to the secure HTTPS login page if you want
at my last job there was an ancient squirrelmail client for some of the customers and there was no https link, you could totally do mail over http. in fact for those customers the recommended pop/imap/smtp server settings were to not use ssl or tls

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

"yeah it doesn't matter who I'm sending it to, as long as its encrypted!!"

at least only one person can see it that way???

maybe two, I guess, if I'm being mitmed, but at least I'm raising the bar to "you have to actually be able to mitm me to read my traffic" from "you just have to be somewhere on the same network"

shaggared again

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

suffix posted:

the nacl/libsodium stuff should be generally foolproof, except if you repeat the nonce, then you're really really hosed, so don't do that.
i don't know why they let you get so hosed, there are safer constructions they could use by default that are just a bit slower
use different keys for sending and receiving. use different keys for everything!

the additional data you use for things you can't encrypt but still want to verify, for instance sender and receiver addresses if they're needed for routing, but you don't want them to be modified
it's usually empty ime because you can't verify the ip stuff because nat, and just encrypt everything else because why not

Yeah the stuff is mostly for at-rest stuff (so there's no big need for asymmetric keys there?), and I already have native AES-GCM bindings, but not libsodium afaict. I ended up writing this up for fun in a few hours, which seems to do the work -- https://github.com/ferd/hairnet. Mostly I was wondering about the tags and AAD stuff's meaning or purpose, but it seems to generally replace HMAC in more standard works of using CBC-mode + HMAC, so that's what I ended up doing.

A kind of nice gotcha is that according to NIST, any non-deterministic nonce generation at any size (incl. 128 bits) apparently is only good for 2^32 calls, after which you should rotate the privkey v:shobon:v

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

qntm posted:

same but "forums"

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

not necessarily a sec fuckup but it makes me giggle:

https://code.google.com/p/android/i...%BC%A9%EF%BC%A4

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sharktopus posted:

Chef Boyardee really did do the best remix of Robocop C64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHo7npmGcHU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Sharktopus posted:

Stealing this

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MononcQc posted:

Yeah the stuff is mostly for at-rest stuff (so there's no big need for asymmetric keys there?), and I already have native AES-GCM bindings, but not libsodium afaict. I ended up writing this up for fun in a few hours, which seems to do the work -- https://github.com/ferd/hairnet. Mostly I was wondering about the tags and AAD stuff's meaning or purpose, but it seems to generally replace HMAC in more standard works of using CBC-mode + HMAC, so that's what I ended up doing.

cbc + a hmac tag is a perfectly valid AE construction, tbh i kind of like it since it's simple and behaves a lot better under nonce reuse than aes-gcm

quote:

A kind of nice gotcha is that according to NIST, any non-deterministic nonce generation at any size (incl. 128 bits) apparently is only good for 2^32 calls, after which you should rotate the privkey v:shobon:v

yeah gcm has some extra limitations
it's fast but imo pretty scary

your generate_token() and verify_and_decrypt_token() functions claim to take a key() but actually seem to take an encoded_key()?
and maybe you don't need to encode the size of the ciphertext in the payload since its implicit from the size of the payload?

looks solid otherwise, well done

e: * not an official endorsement

suffix fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 27, 2016

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

suffix posted:

cbc + a hmac tag is a perfectly valid AE construction, tbh i kind of like it since it's simple and behaves a lot better under nonce reuse than aes-gcm

yeah gcm has some extra limitations
it's fast but imo pretty scary

your generate_token() and verify_and_decrypt_token() functions claim to take a key() but actually seem to take an encoded_key()?
and maybe you don't need to encode the size of the ciphertext in the payload since its implicit from the size of the payload?

looks solid otherwise, well done

Oh yeah, I think at some point I had not yet figured out the tag generated was always 16 bits, and then I did but I left the size prefix there. I can probably flush the whole thing now and save 33 bytes.

I'll go fix them idiotic type signatures.

E: and done

quote:

e: * not an official endorsement

yeah, that's fine. If it's a thing that seems useful at work I'll get our sec team or an auditor to take a look first.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 27, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is this a cool thing microsoft found? i don't understand assembly, but it seems like a cool thing https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2016/04/26/digging-deep-for-platinum/

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

is this a cool thing microsoft found? i don't understand assembly, but it seems like a cool thing https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2016/04/26/digging-deep-for-platinum/

microsoft's APT team is so next level they're finding malware in the future using their wizard graph:

quote:

This implant may be related to an uninstall routine. Note that we observed the sample last on the machine on September 3, 2016, which may indicate PLATINUM pulled the trigger earlier.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

ultramiraculous posted:

microsoft's APT is so next level they're finding malware in the future using their wizard graph:

we're ~~hunters~~

• Locked thread