Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

So is it really true that every bassist is just a guitarist willing to compromise?

The joke is, when you're looking for a guitarist, the question is usually, "is that person a good guitar player?"

When you're looking for a bassist, the question is usually, "does that person have a bass?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ordered up a bunch of the components for my next project! Still need to budget the ludicrously expensive transformers :emo: fuckers tend to cost about as much as the entire rest of your build combined. Probably going for a buffered effects loop from ironsounds, it's not too expensive for an unassembled board and parts and has pretty good reviews across the internet. I could also just do a tube loop but there is basically no compelling reason to do tube loops since the only real advantage there is that they Aren't Solid State but hey guess what you're plugging into the effects loop anyway :v:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

The joke is, when you're looking for a guitarist, the question is usually, "is that person a good guitar player?"

When you're looking for a bassist, the question is usually, "does that person have a bass?"

very true a decent bass rig is more rare than a decent bassist

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Ordered up a bunch of the components for my next project! Still need to budget the ludicrously expensive transformers :emo: fuckers tend to cost about as much as the entire rest of your build combined. Probably going for a buffered effects loop from ironsounds, it's not too expensive for an unassembled board and parts and has pretty good reviews across the internet. I could also just do a tube loop but there is basically no compelling reason to do tube loops since the only real advantage there is that they Aren't Solid State but hey guess what you're plugging into the effects loop anyway :v:

Transformers are the killer, yep. If I was a little smarter, I'd be rehabilitating old transformers from amps scrounged off Craigslist, but, I'm not there yet. Plus I don't know of a reliable way of determining current capabilities of the B+ winding without possibly burning something up.

As for effects loops, I haven't built an amp that uses one yet, but I was thinking of building a simple, passive loop, in the style of a Matamp GT40 effects loop- it looks dead simple, as it's just two 1/4" jacks, one being a break switch, and I don't particularly care if it has loss. Although, the current schematic I drew up has a spare side of a 12AT7, which I could maybe use as a cathode follower to buffer the effects send.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

As much as I love the clean new look please post pictures of this rig in the next few years after the eventual wear and tear. It's going to age in the best way I swear.

He said he's going to sell it on and get another AC30, he gigs a lot and needs something like that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

peter gabriel posted:

He said he's going to sell it on and get another AC30, he gigs a lot and needs something like that.

Are JCM800s really fragile?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not really that, he just likes overdrive from the amp and the Marshall sound isn't doing it for him.

Edit: Sorry, I'm doing that really annoying thing people do by dropping new info in bit by bit and moving goalposts and poo poo.

He got the amp and it was just a broken chassis with no casing at all.
Him and another dude re wired the whole thing and got it going then another guy we know made the case, we call him the Wood Wizzard cos he's a luthier and obsessed with wood ha ha.
So, this is the result, a nice JCM800 in a custom casing. It was made because it needed a case, not for vanity or anything like that.
After trying the amp in rehearsal it sounded immense, but that isn't what he wants, he wants valvy tones and this amp just wants to rock out. It'll be far better off in someone else's hands really, it is a great amp.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwh posted:

Transformers are the killer, yep. If I was a little smarter, I'd be rehabilitating old transformers from amps scrounged off Craigslist, but, I'm not there yet. Plus I don't know of a reliable way of determining current capabilities of the B+ winding without possibly burning something up.

As for effects loops, I haven't built an amp that uses one yet, but I was thinking of building a simple, passive loop, in the style of a Matamp GT40 effects loop- it looks dead simple, as it's just two 1/4" jacks, one being a break switch, and I don't particularly care if it has loss. Although, the current schematic I drew up has a spare side of a 12AT7, which I could maybe use as a cathode follower to buffer the effects send.

Yeah I dunno a good non pain way and also I would rather just buy one I already know is what I want because I could look at the specs sheet. For now I'm using the mod loop because from all research I have done a tube effects loop is noisier and all you really want an effects loop to do is take the signal from the preamp and throw it to the pedals with as little mucking about with it as possible so noise is a bad thing :v:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I still love the Bassbreaker.

Also love the Vox Ac4 and Ac15.

I guess I'm leaning more towards Vox at this point. I just really dislike how on the Bassbreaker the "structure" switch makes such a loud CLICK when you switch the gain.

For those unfamiliar , the Structure setting is a a gain setting. It comes in low medium and high.

Unfortunately, even if you ignore the loud click when you switch over, you have to also completely readjust the gain and master volume settings every time you switch the "Structure."

drat I love the sound though

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Well I've always been a guitarist in bands, and a bassist/drummer, on the side. Then I started playing bass with this band for a couple years and really enjoyed it, but now our lead guitarist is taking a leave of absence, and it made sense for me to move to lead. I also play drums in another doom band in town.

This band is called Destroyer of Light, and now we're 2 guitars and drums. There's tons of youtube poo poo you can find, mostly live with me playing bass. We're about to head out for the west coast, I'll post dates as soon as I get the flyer for them.

Also we did a thing today, this poo poo is kinda getting out of hand. So the new setup is me playing through the Rockerverb, 6x12, one of the OB-1 500's, and the bottom Electric cab 4x10 2x15. Stage left is, Dual Dark 50, 4x12, Worshipper 2x15, and then the other OB-1 500, through the Orange 8x10.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 27, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
With bass amps, what are some good, readily available bass amps that either do the crunchy thing really well or are two channel? Basically my buddy on bass loves him some dirt. He owns a JHS Low Drive, Swollen Pickle, Boss DS-1 and a Yamaha OD (That needs repair). He loves him some dirt. So he was looking at an OB-1 500 or a Terror Bass (Did I mention he's in love with Orange? He is and he currently owns an Orange Crush 50 bass combo). Those are both single channel amps, both with SS power amps and the TB has a tube preamp. He really loves the idea of that smooth tube breakup but is, at the moment, married to the idea of an Orange. And that combo doesn't come cheap it seems.

TL;DR what are some cool bass amps that are easy to find that do sweet "toob overdrive"? Or should he suck it up, get a loud, clean amp and use pedals?

For reference, we're in Brisbane, Australia.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Carl Seitan posted:

Can someone give me a quick comparison and offer a recommendation between a Peavey Valveking 112 combo and a Peavey Super 40 XXX combo? And in lieu of either Peavey, would a Blackstar HT5R 1x12 be a better buy?

The valveking is one of the worst tube amps I've ever heard and the XXX might not be?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

their transformers are really undersized if you put in the wrong load they can die pretty fast

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smash it Smash hit posted:

their transformers are really undersized if you put in the wrong load they can die pretty fast

I was thinking of replacing the transformer in mine anyway when I get the money to give the old gal some TLC (new tubes, clean the insides, etc).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

The valveking is one of the worst tube amps I've ever heard and the XXX might not be?

Didn't you say that about the Carvin V3M?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was thinking of replacing the transformer in mine anyway when I get the money to give the old gal some TLC (new tubes, clean the insides, etc).

Supposedly the transformers being so close to max is part of the brown sound (I don't own one just know a guy who has been rocking one for 25 years playing realllllly loud)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Running your transformers close to max does have effects on your sound, you typically get a somewhat broader frequency response when your amp delivers a fair bit shy of your OT's rated power. Not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing in either direction, it's all whatever you're into.

As for the ~*brown sound*~, my very scientific and very professional opinion is who the gently caress cares don't try to be eddie van halen try to be you instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This tour has taught me 3 things:

• The Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb heads are basically going to become my main writing heads once I return home (I'm gonna miss being a hired gun :()
  • Outside of a couple of gear-snobs, nobody cared about the Pedals I was rocking. Eventually, I stopped caring too and the M13 some dude sold me for 150 bucks has worked for me so stupidly well, that all my tech and I do is just make sure we applied the 4-cable method properly.
  • Thanks to my tech and her utter disdain for tone purists, I'm always confusing "Brown Sound" with "Brownstone" in my head. She says that at least Mr. Brownstone is a pretty kicking song.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Shugojin posted:

Running your transformers close to max does have effects on your sound, you typically get a somewhat broader frequency response when your amp delivers a fair bit shy of your OT's rated power. Not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing in either direction, it's all whatever you're into.

As for the ~*brown sound*~, my very scientific and very professional opinion is who the gently caress cares don't try to be eddie van halen try to be you instead.

Well usually people buy a JCM to try to get that sound and it was a fair warning that switching them out may pull you away from that sound so

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Well usually people buy a JCM to try to get that sound and it was a fair warning that switching them out may pull you away from that sound so

My friend gave the amp to me because he never played it and I like it for the really raw 80s thrash distortion I can get out of it with cascaded distortion pedals, but the tubes are ancient and the whole thing needs some TLC so I don't play it much. Also it's way too loving loud.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shugojin posted:

The best part about EVH tonechasing is the man himself was so full of poo poo, constantly throwing out false information to screw with people.

That and he constantly changed his setup, so it's not like there's any one magical combination to sound like him.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

With bass amps, what are some good, readily available bass amps that either do the crunchy thing really well or are two channel? Basically my buddy on bass loves him some dirt. He owns a JHS Low Drive, Swollen Pickle, Boss DS-1 and a Yamaha OD (That needs repair). He loves him some dirt. So he was looking at an OB-1 500 or a Terror Bass (Did I mention he's in love with Orange? He is and he currently owns an Orange Crush 50 bass combo). Those are both single channel amps, both with SS power amps and the TB has a tube preamp. He really loves the idea of that smooth tube breakup but is, at the moment, married to the idea of an Orange. And that combo doesn't come cheap it seems.

TL;DR what are some cool bass amps that are easy to find that do sweet "toob overdrive"? Or should he suck it up, get a loud, clean amp and use pedals?

For reference, we're in Brisbane, Australia.

Show him these:

I've recorded with the AD-200b as heard here, all tube single channel : http://youtu.be/GRhUxJAiUtM

And a demo I did of the OB-1 500s here, solid state, with the footswitchable drive as kinda second channel : http://youtu.be/H5bcYtOw9Us

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

My friend gave the amp to me because he never played it and I like it for the really raw 80s thrash distortion I can get out of it with cascaded distortion pedals, but the tubes are ancient and the whole thing needs some TLC so I don't play it much. Also it's way too loving loud.

I can agree with everything besides it being too loud. never.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Didn't you say that about the Carvin V3M?

Probably. There are a lot of amps I dont like.

In fact I don't like them both for pretty much the same reason, they're both high gain amps that do a poor job of it and sound extremely "congested" to my ears. The VK in particular has is lack of body to it, its got a buzzy, boomy quality that reminds me almost of a metal zone, and like a metal zone doesn't really do in between crunch very well, just clean or HEAVY.

I used to rehearse in a place that had them and trying to be heard over the other guitarist was always a massive pain.

This guys playing isnt great but its an accurate conception of my memories of that amp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTtONfjF6A

OTOH I've heard good things about the triple X though I've yet to try one myself And the peavy classic 30/50 is great.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 29, 2016

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The valve king is the amp you buy when you're young and over time can make better with a less poo poo speaker and some mods because there's a nice community for that. Out of the box they're just not very good.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I have one of the original ValveKing combos, and I defended it for a long time. Then I got a new amp and hated my past self for sticking with the VK for so long. I'm not sure about the new version, but here is why the old one was bad:

1. The speaker is complete garbage.
2. Changing the speaker (to a custom-built JBL copy) didn't help that much.
3. The gain channel is garbage and changing V2 helped very little if at all.
4. There is a noticeable delay/volume drop when switching channels, not that I ever really wanted to because see 3.
5. The mods that correct the gain channel's poor design are invasive and labour-intensive so I never did them.
6. It's too heavy for an amp with only one usable channel.

I did like the clean channel okay and that's mostly what I used, but overall I don't think it was a particularly good first amp. Not even the best Peavey you could get; Classic 30 or Classic 50 would be way better. Even more better would be a Traynor YCV40 or Quilter 101/201 and whatever cheap cab you can get.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

Show him these:

I've recorded with the AD-200b as heard here, all tube single channel : http://youtu.be/GRhUxJAiUtM

And a demo I did of the OB-1 500s here, solid state, with the footswitchable drive as kinda second channel : http://youtu.be/H5bcYtOw9Us

I had a chat to him yesterday and turns out that the AD-200B is his holy grail, which I thought was pretty funny. He just hasn't got the money for it now or any time soon. Also we don't play out much if at all, so there's that. Awesome demos though man (Well, demo and song), and I just have to ask, you had protection in when you did the OB-1 video, right? Cause that poo poo must've been deafening.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I had a chat to him yesterday and turns out that the AD-200B is his holy grail, which I thought was pretty funny. He just hasn't got the money for it now or any time soon. Also we don't play out much if at all, so there's that. Awesome demos though man (Well, demo and song), and I just have to ask, you had protection in when you did the OB-1 video, right? Cause that poo poo must've been deafening.

No ear plugs, but I should. My ears are hosed from doing poo poo like that for years, I'm almost ready for hearing aids to be able to understand people in loud bars and restaurants, I'm 27 :( Wear earplugs people.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Purchased.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pete Traynor died over the weekend :(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Schpyder posted:

Pete Traynor died over the weekend :(

That's a shame. I like Traynor.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
is a crate v3112 a good amp? I just looked at one in a pawn shop. seems 2 large for a home amp but a clean and distortion channel with reverb makes me want to check it out as a home amp for just over 200.

have also been considering a 5e3 build.

Or should I be looking for a 2-15 watt one as a home practice amp?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'd look at a single ended el84 or 6v6 build for a small home practice amp. Cathode bias, a 5y3 rectifier, and you're good to go. Simple to build, too.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Or get a Quilter and have the same rig for home practice and gigging! Unless you're set on building.

Sad about Traynor, those things own. Best cheap tube amps I've ever tried by far, and the kick-proof speaker grill is something more manufacturers should adopt.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Friend of mine is trying to decide on which Yamaha THR to get. He plays a lot of classic rock. Think Skynyrd. He also really likes blues. Think Clapton.

The local store has the THR hi gain model but should he be looking at the other editions?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Or get a Quilter and have the same rig for home practice and gigging! Unless you're set on building.

Sad about Traynor, those things own. Best cheap tube amps I've ever tried by far, and the kick-proof speaker grill is something more manufacturers should adopt.

In all honesty, the Quilter 101 mini is so goddamned good that it's all I recommend to people who want a good versatile amp, but don't want to nerd out over old weird tube stuff.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Captain Apollo posted:

Friend of mine is trying to decide on which Yamaha THR to get. He plays a lot of classic rock. Think Skynyrd. He also really likes blues. Think Clapton.

The local store has the THR hi gain model but should he be looking at the other editions?

If it were me, and this is a personal thing, I would go low watt valve combo with something like a Soul Food pedal, this is going off him wanting to do blues etc.
Vox AC4 or a Blues Junior perhaps. Or head wise maybe a Vox Night Train. You're opening yourself up to all the blues tones that way and doing it with valves to get that awesome volume control using your fingers and guitar.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Duly noted: He wants portable that he can throw in his bag and take. Batteries and the ability to toss it in a bag for a weekend is pretty neat. Aux In too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Captain Apollo posted:

Duly noted: He wants portable that he can throw in his bag and take. Batteries and the ability to toss it in a bag for a weekend is pretty neat. Aux In too

Well knowing that my suggestions wouldn't be any good :v:

I've got a Roland Cube that does all that and it is very good, worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
THR10 (or THR5) as well as the THR10c will work.

The former will give the "classic" blues/hard rock amps (tweed and Marshall), the latter is meant to emulate boutique amps. Meaning it will excel at blues tones, and really deliver on that. But it's most "hard rock" amp model is based on a bluesbreaker, so it can do AC/DC but not higher gain like Van Halen.

Depending on whether he'd like multiple amps that are meant for blues, or more versatility, he should either get the THR10c or the THR5/10 respectively