Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

what a weird material to make super rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh man I forgot about this since I wasn't gonna shell out money for early access and open access is right around the corner. The class system looks intense and there's so many super interesting skills and I don't know what I'd want to make gently caress. This game is going to ruin me isn't it?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Nah its not bad, the official forum actually has a decent class section for the more popular subclasses. Can't believe the game went down as I was coming home from work, guess I might try that other tree of * game that had goons in it

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015

Usenet Magic-User posted:

...guess I might try that other tree of * game that had goons in it

What game is this?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
tree of life -- its a survival sand box mmo, looks really bad but just my style

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015

Usenet Magic-User posted:

tree of life -- its a survival sand box mmo, looks really bad but just my style

Just watched a preview video; IMO looks amazing (I like friendly graphics) and casual like I enjoy these days, but also a mouse game, and I have forsworn the mouse.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Okay so I was totally obsessed with Ragnarok Online for awhile when I was younger and thought this game looked really awesome.

Is there anything I should know before I go in blind playing for the first time?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Darius099 posted:

Okay so I was totally obsessed with Ragnarok Online for awhile when I was younger and thought this game looked really awesome.

Is there anything I should know before I go in blind playing for the first time?
Some of the shittiest, confusing quests (mines) are in the low level zones (mines) and the hardest to explore maps are generally the starter maps so don't assume the game will continue to be that confusing. They really need to work on their new player experience.

Stat and job choices are permanent. The good news is the min-maxing of stats is pretty much irrelevant for pve. The other good news is most intuitive stat placement works out just fine. As far as class choices go, if you want to look it up in advance go ahead. If not look up the skills at least so you pick things that have synergy. Or just do what you want, honestly the pve tuning and game seems so ridiculously lenient that everything is good and viable as long as there is some thought behind it.

Only other real advice would be everyone is either a dps or a support. There is no need for a "tank" because swordsman classes are inherently tanky. Going Peltasta 1 is all you need to be a "tank". You need something like 50? con tops for current endgame pve stuff, if that.

Oh, and clerics are not only good healers/group characters but also really easy to play and efficient killing machines solo.

Everything is fun and good in tree of savior.

edit: To be clear, there are peltasta3 tank builds and they are good, but they are highly specialized and require a group.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 26, 2016

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I was looking forward to this this week and was getting ready to come in here and ask if they had sorted out some of the issues they had at early access launch. Then read the thread and saw F2P got pushed back so I guess that answers my question.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Darius099 posted:

Despite having an almost identical art style and sharing the same project director, ToS is actually closer to a theme-park MMO than it is to Ragnarok Online.
Class, skill, and stat choices range from mostly-to-completely permanent and so you should ask around before deciding on anything.
A vast majority of your gameplay will be leveling/questing solo, so be careful with how far towards a support role you lean towards.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Whats a theme park mmo?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's where you go through the park hitting the various rides and events and then leave, as opposed to a sandbox where you just plop down and make you own fun. In game terms it means the general mmorpg experience where you move through zones at various levels, doing quests and dungeons, progressing to end game. As opposed to something more free form, which really isn't a thing anymore in rpgs. That type of gameplay mostly pivoted over to action with Minecraft and Rust and games like that. Most games even if they sell themselves as "Freeform pvp" or whatever are still mostly theme park based, as that is generally a more understandable experience for players.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm stuck between running a Cleric and a Wizard as my first shot at this. On the one hand Cryomancer exists and hell yeah I'm all about some ice mage action. On the other hand Cleric has some super interesting stuff going on like Pardoner, Oracle, and Kabbalist.

This is why MMO's are terrible for me, I get crippled by indecision when attempting to build characters. I was notorious for making a billion and one concepts in Ragnarok as well...

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm stuck between running a Cleric and a Wizard as my first shot at this. On the one hand Cryomancer exists and hell yeah I'm all about some ice mage action. On the other hand Cleric has some super interesting stuff going on like Pardoner, Oracle, and Kabbalist.

Well, out of those classes the only one you'd get to try any time soon would be cryo, if that helps :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Do you mean in terms of "some of these later things aren't released yet"? Or is it more "be prepared for Mega Ultra Korean levels of grind before later ranks are available"?

I've been attempting to prepare myself for the latter. And if that's the case I may start off with Wizard just so I can muck around with stuff slightly sooner. I was thinking C2/3 Cryomancer and supplementing it with something interesting like Thaumaturge or Linker or Chronomancer. There's way too many interesting skillsets to play with.

Thursday needs to hurry up. :sludgepal:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah the cleric stuff you listed are later rank classes

clerics are very good in general though, you'll never get stuck in a dungeon run without a healer at least

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
those cleric classes you listed are available at ranks 5, 6, and 7 respectively, while cryo you can get starting at rank 2. I wouldn't say the grind is extreme, tho it is still definitely there

And I'll second clerics being a rad class in general, they have a lot of different and interesting playstyles. my current main is a chaplain/oracle and I'm having a blast, and being able to carry a mission/dungeon group on your strong padre shoulders is indeed a huge benefit

just don't look at the official forums or subreddit for general build/stat advice, for the love of god

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is why MMO's are terrible for me, I get crippled by indecision when attempting to build characters. I was notorious for making a billion and one concepts in Ragnarok as well...

Go wiz 1 cryo 3 chrono 3

Thaumaturge is ok I guess, but could use the buffs the koreans got where it boosts matk as well for their c3 skill iirc. Linker is better with stuff that isn't cryomancer. Not that is pairs poorly with cryo, but there are better combos.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

please tell me the sinx equivalent in this game is just as fun and bullshit in pvp

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i want to stab mans :sigh:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Thursday needs to hurry up. :sludgepal:

oh also since you mentioned this you must be waiting for the f2p transition.... unfortunately it was pushed back a week or two

it's early to mid May now

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Motherfucker. :negative:

You are making it mighty tempting to just spring $10 or whatever for a couple of weeks of headway.

Also Cryomancer/Chronomancer seems extremely my jam and if that's a good combo that works for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They took away the $10 option because goldspammer bots considered it only a minor speedbump to rerolling after a ban.

...Which is probably why they're delaying the F2P release.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Clarste posted:

They took away the $10 option because goldspammer bots considered it only a minor speedbump to rerolling after a ban.

...Which is probably why they're delaying the F2P release.
Well, there is the discounted pack going for $15 currently, which is probably a better deal than what the $10 was offering anyway.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The new outfits in the store are pretty cute

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's where you go through the park hitting the various rides and events and then leave, as opposed to a sandbox where you just plop down and make you own fun. In game terms it means the general mmorpg experience where you move through zones at various levels, doing quests and dungeons, progressing to end game. As opposed to something more free form, which really isn't a thing anymore in rpgs. That type of gameplay mostly pivoted over to action with Minecraft and Rust and games like that. Most games even if they sell themselves as "Freeform pvp" or whatever are still mostly theme park based, as that is generally a more understandable experience for players.
I wouldn't even call Minecraft or Rust freeform because those both have very clear progression paths you should follow. Or, rather, they have 'an endgoal' for you to work towards.

Freeform, freeform... uh... you know, I don't think they really make games like Ultima Online or Ragnarok Online anymore, where there is neither progression path nor goal to work towards in the slightest.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So some questions if people don't mind answering what they know:

• Is it obvious when I advance a circle, because so far I've been getting "class" levels and assigning skill points but don't have any idea what circle I am or when it changes or how to choose my next class.
  • Do you get to choose which class you look like? Or are you just destined to look like whatever circle you're currently in? I dislike how some of the classes look but know I'll want their skills, and love how some of the lower classes look but if I pass them by quickly and never get to look like them again that kind of sucks.
  • What's the PVP like?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
You advance every 15 class levels, a big obvious Advancement button will appear on the side of your screen even. you won't miss it

you get to keep every costume of whatever class you've taken and can switch between them at will

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

YES bread posted:

You advance every 15 class levels, a big obvious Advancement button will appear on the side of your screen even. you won't miss it

you get to keep every costume of whatever class you've taken and can switch between them at will

Badass, thanks so much for the info!

EDIT:

Do monsters drop their cards like in Ragnarok Online? I just saw some people advertising cards for sale.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 27, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

bosses drop their cards, there's a small card battles game you can do with other players, but besides that only Sorcs, Necros and Wugushis have an actual use for their cards right now

on another note dungeons are just really broken right now, queues barely working and when it finally did the dungeon instance crashed like 2 minutes in, disconnecting us with no option to re-enter while still using up the entrance limit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
entrance limits on dungeons are one of many reasons why this is A Bad Game

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

So googling around and looking in the thread, it seems like Pyromancer isn't a fan favorite. Is there a reason Cryomancer is so heavily favored? I really like the look of some of the fire stuff.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
from what I have been told, Pyromancer doesn't scale particularly well past the midgame. also when you start getting into dungeons the downsides of hittable fireballs become apparent

Cryo's damage is godawful but its control always stays relevant

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

from what I have been told, Pyromancer doesn't scale particularly well past the midgame. also when you start getting into dungeons the downsides of hittable fireballs become apparent

Cryo's damage is godawful but its control always stays relevant

That's a shame, I like the style of their abilities better. I guess I'll have to go Cryomancer then. I wonder why they made this big diverse list of classes and then made attack abilities not scale properly? It seems such an odd design choice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

despite what I just said if you like Pyro you should play Pyro man, especially as your first character

you're going to screw up your first several characters anyway with ~suboptimal~ choice, and Pyro is way better for early leveling and getting a feel for the game imo

Darius099 posted:

That's a shame, I like the style of their abilities better. I guess I'll have to go Cryomancer then. I wonder why they made this big diverse list of classes and then made attack abilities not scale properly? It seems such an odd design choice.

I think the thought is that as you progress new abilities replace old ones. Like once you hit Warlock or Featherfucker you're just not gonna care about fireballs anymore.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
A couple pyro skills have actually been buffed in KTOS, but we haven't received any of their balance changes yet and there's no real indication we will. I'm still working on a pyro3 build anyway, because breathing fire is cool

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Darius099 posted:

The leveling journey in TOS is a very, very long one and finding something that is fun to you is way more important than a min/max build. Don't worry about leveling a character and finding out down the road that its not what you expected.....because that is basically guaranteed to happen no matter what anyways.

Play what looks cool, and by the time you get to a point where you are considering remaking or rerolling, you will have a much better idea of how gimmicks work in this game. People would have you believe that there are only a small amount of viable builds, but that's based on a hypothetical late game scenario that most people will never even get close to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

In that case I'm taking Krivis, Sadhu, and Oracle and nobody can stop me. Bwahaha.

It's probably a terrible plan but who cares. (I probably should)

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

People in global chat are losing their poo poo about the maintenance that's about to start after the 24 hour maintenance yesterday, haha.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I played a lot of Ragnarok Online including a lot of high level play in that game so I'm kind of used to seeking the correct build from the getgo. I'll just gently caress around (already took Pyromancer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Awesome.

The other day I pulled two Arde Daggers out of one cube. Just like that I got my Roxona Plate Gauntlets and Boots, and finished up my Aias.

• Locked thread