Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Woke up to an e-mail from Braksgirl informing me of my upgrade. Fantastic stuff.

Unfortunately this means the hype train has reignited. It is not good to get this excited this far out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
October really getting the snub this year with free dining dates.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

I'm surprised it came back this year to be honest.

You and me both. I do think the availability keeps getting more and more limited. And I'm not at all surprised that both Port Orleans were excluded.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 25, 2016

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Braksgirl posted:

You and me both. I do think the availability keeps getting more and more limited. And I'm not at all surprised that both Port Orleans were excluded.

Now I feel totally fine about passing it up. Because there's no way I was going to switch from POFQ

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Between the two Port Orleans resorts, which one do people prefer?

I've stayed at the other two Moderates (Caribbean is okay but feels dated and run down, Coronado Springs feels like a cheap motel when you're walking around the room areas).

We splurged last time and did Boardwalk Inn, but that probably won't be a regular thing.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

In my experience most people prefer French Quarter.

Caribbean Beach is getting a refurb. The new rooms look really nice.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is it that some of the moderate and Art of Animation are blacklisted? Is it because they're usually popular anyways? If anything i'd figure they'd black list the All Stars and Pop.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All Stars is excluded as well according to the email I got this morning

quote:

Offer Details
Number of rooms allocated for these offers is limited. Tickets must be used within 14 days of first use. Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotions. Advance reservation required. Offer excludes 3-bedroom villas, campsites, Art of Animation – Little Mermaid Standard Rooms, Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Bungalows at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, Disney's All-Star Movies Resort, Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter and Villas at Grand Floridian. Disney's Port Orleans – Riverside is excluded during the following dates: November 15 to 21, November 26 to 28 and December 10 to 21, 2016.

I can't wait for the whiny disboard posts

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Abu Dave posted:

Why is it that some of the moderate and Art of Animation are blacklisted? Is it because they're usually popular anyways? If anything i'd figure they'd black list the All Stars and Pop.

Yes. They only offer free dining because they need to fill rooms, or that's what it used to be. They've never discounted AoA Little Mermaid rooms because they always sell out. The POs don't need any help and typically POFQ is excluded anyway.

Only All Star Movies is excluded this time and I suspect it's because it's the most popular one.

I also just want to say that you goon clients make my life. Y'all are always so appreciative when I'm able to apply the discounts.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 25, 2016

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

All Stars is excluded as well according to the email I got this morning

I can't wait for the whiny disboard posts

I think disboards only exists for people to whine.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Braksgirl posted:

I also just want to say that you goon clients make my life. Y'all are always so appreciative when I'm able to apply the discounts.

Not that Braksgirl needs anymore ringing endorsements but here's another one!

Due to falling rear end backwards into some gift cards I was able to do World in November and a Cruise on Wonder last week. She took so much stress out of the process and saved us a nice chunk of cash too. My incredibly detail focused wife took full advantage of her answering every question imaginable as well. Anytime I have a friend or coworker mention going I immediately know who to recommend!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Braksgirl is the best! Very excited to be at AKL on Thursday, thanks to her finding a great deal for me.

Never been in Central Florida in April (Key West in May is different) - forecast is sun and 90s. Sundresses and sunscreen 50 and water bottle?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's t-shirt and shorts weather all through to next week getting warmer by the day. Pack accordingly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Starting tomorrow I am adding Jungle Cruise skipper to my titles at Disney World. Finally getting cross trained over there in addition to my duties as a butler and trainer at the Mansion.

come see me for the most by the books OG script boat you've ever been on in your life.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Starting tomorrow I am adding Jungle Cruise skipper to my titles at Disney World. Finally getting cross trained over there in addition to my duties as a butler and trainer at the Mansion.

come see me for the most by the books OG script boat you've ever been on in your life.

I suggest a new thread addition where we give you really bad jokes to tell.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I suggest a new thread addition where we give you really bad jokes to tell.

I say that mine will be by the books, because our area management is kind of on people's cases about their Jungle jokes, so its more for my job security than anything.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

What's the most risque joke anyone's heard on a Jungle Cruise? How much trouble could you get into?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My favorite Jungle Cruise skipper ever did this thing where at the hippos, he would draw the pistol and mention that he was going to scare them away, and then just shout "Stay back! I've got a gun!"

Also, the river goes for Niles and Niles and Niles, and if you don't believe him you're probably in ...disbelief.

The Jungle Cruise is my favorite.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
"Awwwwww... shh, look! That family of lions is babysitting that little sleeping zebra! They're so cute when they're sleeping. Everyone be really quiet so we don't wake him up!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think they're at their best during the MNSS Halloween party and during the jingle cruise. Definitely less scripted then.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Jungle Cruise is my favorite. I'm a sucker for bad jokes. The random book killed me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Jungle Cruise is the best. Congrats, BBS!

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

When my daughter and I were down a couple years ago I think we had the best Jungle Cruise skipper ever. He told the jokes but his delivery was so deadpan it was amazing. And he did a really good job of making everyone in the boat feel like idiots. The best joke was:

Skipper: And here we have African Elephants. Do you know how we know they're African Elephants?

My daughter: Because we're in Africa?

Skipper: Congratulations. One person out of 50 in the boat figured that out.

followed by later in the cruise...

Skipper: And over here we have Indian Elephants, do you know how we know they're Indian Elephants?

Other person in the boat: Because we're in India?

Skipper: No... we're in Cambodia. I said that before we entered the tunnel! Pay attention to the tour. It's their ears. You can tell they're Indian Elephants because of the ears.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a joke about paradox and pair of dorks I've heard that kills me but I can't remember it exactly. Grats though I'm jealous

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

My favorite Jungle Cruise skipper ever did this thing where at the hippos, he would draw the pistol and mention that he was going to scare them away, and then just shout "Stay back! I've got a gun!"

I've also seen a skipper start singing "It's a Small World" while aiming the gun at the hippos.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
My favorite JC moment was at the end of one ride

"Thank you for riding the world famous Jungle Cruise. If you enjoyed your trip I'm your skipper Mark. If you didn't, my name is Shiela.

Please remove all children from the boat when exiting. Any found left behind will have their feet nailed to the floor at It's A Small World and taught to sing that song over, and over, and over..."

He continued the "and over" until we were all off, and then right before he pulled away we could hear

"And what happens when they grow up you ask? They move them to the Jungle Cruise!"

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
My husband and I are all booked for WDW at the start of October! It's my first time and I'm super excited. We have a full week, planning on spending 1 day in each of the 4 main parks and the using the rest of the week for wiggle-room. We got the dining plan since we're staying on-property, so I'm trying to pick which restaurants we want to try for our table service stuff. What are everyone's favourites?

We already have dinner reservations for 'Ohana and Boma, and lunch at Liberty Tree. I was looking at the Dine With An Imagineer thing at Brown Derby. Have any of you guys done that? We are both huge animation fans, to a nerdy degree!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Welp, the wife and I got into the WDW Half Marathon, so time to plan my first trip there since May of 2007! Very excited, but a little unsure about where to stay. We used to do the Sheraton Vistana resort right off property, but that's overkill for two of us. Port Orleans looks pretty close to Epcot, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

SamLikesCake posted:

I was looking at the Dine With An Imagineer thing at Brown Derby. Have any of you guys done that? We are both huge animation fans, to a nerdy degree!

My experience may not have been typical, but I was very disappointed with my lunch with an imagineer.

We got someone who was involved in retail space. His big thing was that he designed a christmas store on main street in MK or something. It was not very interesting at all and I really don't remember much about it, it was that dull. Most of it was parents with their kids who want to become imgineers asking how they go down that path over and over.

However, the meal at the Brown Derby was amazing, and the grapefruit cake was soooooo good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Omne posted:

Welp, the wife and I got into the WDW Half Marathon, so time to plan my first trip there since May of 2007! Very excited, but a little unsure about where to stay. We used to do the Sheraton Vistana resort right off property, but that's overkill for two of us. Port Orleans looks pretty close to Epcot, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Highly recommend Port Orleans. The races are a blast, enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've done 3 now at WDW.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SamLikesCake posted:

We got the dining plan since we're staying on-property, so I'm trying to pick which restaurants we want to try for our table service stuff. What are everyone's favourites?

We already have dinner reservations for 'Ohana and Boma, and lunch at Liberty Tree. I was looking at the Dine With An Imagineer thing at Brown Derby. Have any of you guys done that? We are both huge animation fans, to a nerdy degree!
This is the part where I rave about Restaurant Marrakesh until everyone tells me to shut up.

Ohana and Boma are solid, good job there. During your Animal Kingdom day, definitely do Flame Tree Barbecue. I don't want to say it's the only good restaurant in AK, but... nothing else really measures up.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
"Yes I designed the restrooms in the back area near the cast member parking lot. My inspiration was mostly stifled because I only had a $10/Sq Ft budget. Sure it was only a one person bathroom but it was the best on all property that only third shift contract workers would ever use. Do you mind if I eat these last three crescent rolls? Golly I'm glad to get out again. Do you like the color seafoam green? Oh hey time for my meds."

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Timing is everything with a lot of Jungle Cruise jokes (and comedy in general I guess). I've had some really bad skippers telling OG jokes but they just have no idea how to deliver a punchline. It's often less about the awful joke and more about how well the awful joke is delivered.

Although the most important thing is to come up with a lot of cannibal jokes for when you're stuck by Trader Sam and waiting for clearance to unload.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mearn posted:

Timing is everything with a lot of Jungle Cruise jokes (and comedy in general I guess). I've had some really bad skippers telling OG jokes but they just have no idea how to deliver a punchline. It's often less about the awful joke and more about how well the awful joke is delivered.

Although the most important thing is to come up with a lot of cannibal jokes for when you're stuck by Trader Sam and waiting for clearance to unload.

Jungle Cruise thrives on how well the skippers can tell the jokes. Even the shittiest, most overdone pun can be funny if you've got a skipper who knows how to do the delivery even if they never ad lib a single thing. The Great Movie Ride has long suffered from rather lax standards for picking good hosts.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
BBS my wife was a skipper at JC.. she says "He better be on point if we get on a boat with him or I will heckle him relentlessly until said time he jumps into the river of tetanus.." Boy I love my wife. No really, she is going to give you poo poo though, and she will tell you that you are off script. LOL

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Highly recommend Port Orleans. The races are a blast, enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've done 3 now at WDW.

Oh awesome! Port Orleans looks like a good balance of cost and location. Anything around MK is way out of our budget, others seem a bit far from where we'd want to be. Question on photos when running: is there any way to tie those in with a PhotoPass thing, or is it just MarathonFoto taking all of the character shots? Or do people generally just hand their phone/camera to another runner in line to snap it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Omne posted:

Oh awesome! Port Orleans looks like a good balance of cost and location. Anything around MK is way out of our budget, others seem a bit far from where we'd want to be. Question on photos when running: is there any way to tie those in with a PhotoPass thing, or is it just MarathonFoto taking all of the character shots? Or do people generally just hand their phone/camera to another runner in line to snap it?

They have used MarathonFoto up to this point for race photos, but the character stops have either had a Photopass photog or required your own camera/phone. Apparently they're switching it to 100% Photopass (which will be great since Marathonfoto is Meh at best), but I'm not sure when that kicks in. Most people run with their phones. The races are really chill and I recommend taking your time and enjoying all the spectacle the first time, as there is really nothing like it. Also, you really don't need to carry your own water or snacks, they provide hydration/first aid stations very frequently and have the best race support I've ever seen. I took nothing but my iPod shuffle for the marathon and never needed anything.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
24 hours until I land in the land of the Mouse.

BBS, if you're on Jungle Cruise Friday morning, I will give the secret wave.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna try to zoom over after work on Friday to renew our passes. Sounds like a good excuse to run into Epcot and grab some food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Anya posted:

24 hours until I land in the land of the Mouse.

BBS, if you're on Jungle Cruise Friday morning, I will give the secret wave.

I will not be. That is my day off.

also I am not good at docking the boats. holy moly.