Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People called that shortcut in Dark Souls 2, the one where you kick down a tree trunk in the Huntsman's Copse, useless. But I've used it, dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I meticulously choose the carving in my inventory, place it in my active item slot, and walk towards the cliff. I use it and the carving hits the lowest ledge, and Gough's voice echoes a very throaty "WHO CARES" through all of Boreal Valley.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the Nioh demo out? I saw some gameplay videos posted. It looks like even more of a Souls clone than I thought, right down to the same leveling system, a stat that increases equip weight, letter-based weapon scaling, etc. Looks like it's a fun and fast-paced one, though.

Apparently other players' bloodstains are actually enemies you can fight? Like, instead of activating a bloodstain to see how they died, you activate it and you can fight their revenant for some kind of reward.

Tenzarin posted:

How come no one has complained about the dark souls 3 bonfires being literally 2 seconds apart. It was one of the hot dark souls 2 topics to complain about.

There's two parts where you only have to walk up stairs or across a bridge to see another bonfire.

Because it's not the same thing as Dark Souls 2's bonfire situation in that it doesn't really affect gameplay or level design at all. It mostly occurs when a boss arena is right before a new area and the "boss bonfire" and "start of a new area" bonfire are right next to each other as a result.

Dark Souls 2's situation was more like using bonfires in place of shortcuts. Levels tended to be more linear, with new bonfires placed instead of having the level loop back around or offer unlockable shortcuts. I mean, it does mean that DS3 and DS2 both have a ton of bonfires, but they're used very differently. DS3 does like Bloodborne does: fewer bonfires that you can access while exploring a level, but frequent shortcuts back to previous bonfires. It doesn't go quite as far as Bloodborne does in that, though.

Like, it's still weird--I don't know why they decided to stick to the Demon's Souls/Bloodborne "rule" of "every boss must spawn an archstone/lamp/bonfire" but they did I guess.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 26, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DS2 also had a mechanical reason for so many bonfires because of the ascetics. they had to meticulously carve the game apart into discrete chunks so that system would work as intended

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you've ever heard people talk about lore theories of these games, but can you imagine the theories that would spawn if "This boss is one of 3 bosses that don't have their own bonfires. I think this is because they actually betrayed Gwyn and performed blood ministration using Seath's blood." of whatever some poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

DS2 also had a mechanical reason for so many bonfires because of the ascetics. they had to meticulously carve the game apart into discrete chunks so that system would work as intended

Yeah, there's that, too. I had mixed feelings about that system largely because of the way it required them to divide the game up into discrete sections that could be aescetic'd.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

Because it's not the same thing as Dark Souls 2's bonfire situation in that it doesn't really affect gameplay or level design at all. It mostly occurs when a boss arena is right before a new area and the "boss bonfire" and "start of a new area" bonfire are right next to each other as a result.

Theres also the Distant manor bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, where you walk down stairs and you are at the Irithyll dungeon bonfire. Literally 30 seconds.

I don't know how these places can even be called hubs, you barely have to use shortcuts in dark souls 3 because its so short.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Theres also the Distant manor bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, where you walk down stairs and you are at the Irithyll dungeon bonfire. Literally 30 seconds.

I don't know how these places can even be called hubs, you barely have to use shortcuts in dark souls 3 because its so short.

I used that particular bonfire as a base camp for exploring the Irithryll sewers nearby, so I was happy it existed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, that's another weird situation, but another one that's largely a consequence of each area (with I think one exception) having a bonfire right at the start, and the Distant Manor bonfire being an important mid-level checkpoint for Irithyll. Also doesn't really affect gameplay or level design so it doesn't bug me that much. If either of those didn't need to exist, it's the Dungeon one.

(Actually that one really does bug me because if you light the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire before talking to a certain NPC in the kitchen in Irithyll, they won't be there anymore and it can cause you to fail another NPC's quest. And said kitchen is usually going to be found after the Distant Manor bonfire, and therefore after the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire. Y'know, like I did. :negative:)

Bloodborne does a better job of lamp placement than DS3 does of bonfire placement, to be fair.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 26, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what I'm learning is that you can't say anything bad about a dark souls game even though dark souls games are bad

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quest For Glory II posted:

what I'm learning is that you can't say anything bad about a dark souls game even though dark souls games are bad

What the gently caress did you just say? I'll fight you over criticizing a video game :mad:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They're good though, even though each and every one of them, without exception, has a nice handful of baffling and sometimes bad design decisions (see: blood vials in Bloodborne, awful weapon balance in DS3 which isn't helped by poise doing very little, a good portion of DS1's second half...)

(I do love that you can't ever argue against someone's criticism of a Souls game without someone assuming that you're a blind fan who can't see any of the game's faults)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Go back to your dumb e3 thread troll. :colbert:

Also yes DS3 is basically Bonfire souls but you know what? Whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bloodborne is drat near perfect in my mind. The blood vials being the only strange decision, but such a minor inconvenience in a game you could play for hundreds of hours. All the other ones have glaring flaws for sure, although I haven't seen everything in 3 so I can't speak to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Bloodborne is drat near perfect in my mind. The blood vials being the only strange decision, but such a minor inconvenience in a game you could play for hundreds of hours. All the other ones have glaring flaws for sure, although I haven't seen everything in 3 so I can't speak to it.

My only other criticism of Bloodborne is that the uniqueness of the weapons means that it's extra painful that some aren't available until the super-endgame. The Burial Blade and Beast Claws, especially. When each weapon is entirely unique (except for Saw Cleaver/Spear), it's even worse when some weapons are really inaccessible.

Oh, and its online is kind of stupid and I think they went too far in making invasions basically not a thing. I like the bells for co-op, not so much for PvP. Needed a dual sign at the very least.

At least blood vials aren't that big of a deal if you buy some every now and again and stop being an issue at all about halfway in.

I agree with you, though, Bloodborne is frighteningly close to a perfect game for my tastes and it's easily my favorite in the series. gently caress armor and shields. I'll take gun-parrying any day. If PvP was the main reason I played Souls games I'd probably be pretty down on it, but since it isn't, Bloodborne's basically exactly what I want.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Call of Duty is now a JRPG

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harrow posted:

(I do love that you can't ever argue against someone's criticism of a Souls game without someone assuming that you're a blind fan who can't see any of the game's faults)
Im just laughing at someone saying "just as a tiny nitpick some of the bonfires are close together" followed by NO THEYRE NOT SHUT UP

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

They're good though, even though each and every one of them, without exception, has a nice handful of baffling and sometimes bad design decisions (see: blood vials in Bloodborne, awful weapon balance in DS3 which isn't helped by poise doing very little, a good portion of DS1's second half...)

Poise is turned off, hope you don't base a build around it!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Call of Duty is now a JRPG

Looks like Fallout was right; war never changes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dark souls games have a certain type of special religious "fan club" following about them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it will be cool once may/june comes and I won't have to hear about why one bonfire is slightly gayer than another. instead it will be about who has a better butt, nate drake or winston the gorilla

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So after next month, naughty dogs are going to be working on The Last of Us 2 right?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

So after next month, naughty dogs are going to be working on The Last of Us 2 right? They just released ratchet and clank and Uncharted.

I'd rather they do something different and not do LoU2. I liked the first one very much but I never once thought I'd want to do that again. Naughty Dog should go into space.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

They're going back to working on the Jak series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Such Thing posted:

Make it even more dark and gritty. Jak is the main character in TLoU2

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They will have to fight to put Daxter on the cover.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They just slap pointy ears on Trevor from GTAV and call it a day

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope they do a last of us sequel where, Joe?(was this the main character) is like old and cant do the adventure thing and the girl is grown up and is the main character now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It would be cool to have more Crash Bandicoot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Concept art for a canceled Jak 4 (or possible reboot?) was moving in a less x-treme direction, but sadly it will never be: https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/01/jak-and-daxter-4-concept-art-jak-4/

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I mean technically there is a jak 4, it's just not made by naughty dog.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

VideoGames posted:

Naughty Dog has their heads way too far up their asses to do anything as "juvenile" as a Crash game. hosed up :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

VideoGames posted:

I'd be okay with simply an HD remake of the original 3, assuming they played the same. I still love how they play but they look really dated (although still pretty good for PS1)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

:pray:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was Crash Bandicoot a good character? I've never played the games, and my outside perspective was always that he was another animal mascot with tons of 'tude, totally rad, etc.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jay Rust posted:

Was Crash Bandicoot a good character? I've never played the games, and my outside perspective was always that he was another animal mascot with tons of 'tude, totally rad, etc.

No he was not. Playstation 1 had a cycle of "gotta find the mario".

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jay Rust posted:

He was really only like that for marketing stuff. In the actual games he was more of a Looney Tunes-style goofball. Whether or not he was any good is in the eye of the beholder, but he was definitely no Sonic knock-off or anything.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I enjoyed his nonsensical words, but it was the level design and platforming fun that I enjoyed about it. Plus those gems!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

He barely had any character at all, or even that great of a design. He's still pretty memorable to people though, which is more than you can say for like... Ty the Tiger or Gex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Macaluso posted:

He barely had any character at all, or even that great of a design. He's still pretty memorable to people though, which is more than you can say for like... Ty the Tiger or Gex

Spyro!

• Locked thread