Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I too am incapable of figuring out advanced strategies such as "stay on the riverbank".

It's not difficult, it's annoying and needlessly punishing if you make an easily made mistake, especially on the first run through the game. The fire lizards are in the same region, they're completely different because they're harder to get to, off the beaten path and you're not at any risk of getting murdered by them if you roll a bit too far while fighting other enemies. Or the Pursuer, who unfortunately shows up before the shortcut but at least it's cool and only happens once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your mom's vagina should probably sue them for violating her likeness rights.

Not that it's ever cared about violation before.

If most Dark Souls come backs were this instead of this

Lizard Wizard posted:

I too am incapable of figuring out advanced strategies such as "stay on the riverbank".

I wouldn't have to dislike the series on principle.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't know you even could aggro that guy, I've always just walked past him and he never once came after me. Only time I ever had to fight him was when I decided out of curiosity to see if I could take him down or not and even then he didn't aggro until I actually hit him.

The answer was "not," by the way.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gitro posted:

Or the Pursuer, who unfortunately shows up before the shortcut but at least it's cool and only happens once.

That was in the original game.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Apr 26, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Worst Fans: MOBAs or Dark Souls?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Digirat posted:

I didn't have trouble with it having played the original game before, but for new players, sticking a giant enemy that will almost certainly kill them right on the main path at the start of the game is very nonsensical. It's an unnecessary hazard placed at a point where most players will be forced to put their understanding of the mechanics to the test for the first time outside of the tutorial. It wanders incredibly close to the bonfire, and the cave tunnel with an item in it, so it most likely led to a lot of first time players having a bad first experience. Everything else nearby is simple to kill, so sure, they'll try to take on the hippo too. Much like the random dragon they put in heide's, it goes back to the complaint that scholar seems very much designed for people who had already played dark souls 2 before, which does not make sense as scholar was the version designed for xbox one and PS4 players. I have read complaints from multiple people who started with scholar about these things.

Please continue to be condescending about your videogames for no reason though

the hippo is supposed to teach you "hey maybe you dont have to fight every single thing you come across right away, avoid it and come back later."some people have a very hard time grasping this, or just will refuse to give up out of stubborness.

dark souls 3 however very much is designed for people who've played the first game. I think the knights before the second boss are even more difficult then the black knights before the final boss in dark souls one. Everything is so goddamn fast and relentless right from the start.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tengames posted:

the hippo is supposed to teach you "hey maybe you dont have to fight every single thing you come across right away, avoid it and come back later."some people have a very hard time grasping this, or just will refuse to give up out of stubborness.

Fortunately, HE doesn't have a very hard time grasping YOU.

And that's how you learn. :eng101:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They literally redo the archer bit from DS1 with an extra archer that kills you if you go "oh, it's the archer bit, i know how to do this" lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm going to have to give it to MOBAs. The worse Dark Souls fans subscribe to the Just World fallacy that the game is perfect- despite everyone hating Bed of Chaos- and work to force facts to align with that. Even if the game just kinda fucks you in ways you don't expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-_tdMzXpbs

People thought slowbeef had purposely orchestrated that poo poo to make some kind of point of some kind I dunno.

As far as my impression of MOBAs has been it just makes people angry and all you get out of it is an hour and a half of nonstop slurs thrown at everyone.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
MOBA just have something about them that poisons your very essence when you play them. I will usually stay far away from them but every once in a while I get bored and one comes along that looks interesting so I'll give it a shot and I will always end up frustrated and angry and I'm not a guy who gets angry a lot. In summary gently caress MOBA forever, that entire genre needs to loving die.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morglon posted:

MOBA just have something about them that poisons your very essence when you play them. I will usually stay far away from them but every once in a while I get bored and one comes along that looks interesting so I'll give it a shot and I will always end up frustrated and angry and I'm not a guy who gets angry a lot. In summary gently caress MOBA forever, that entire genre needs to loving die.

It turns out that Adam and Eve were actually tossed out of the garden of Eden for playing League of Legends.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One irritating thing in Dark Souls 3 is that I've just come up to the boss fight with the Abyss Watchers boss at the end of Farron Keep and in the area before there is an event battle. Two very powerful knight type enemies are supposed to run in and kill everything, ideally splitting up where the path splits and getting overwhelmed so at least one other knight dies as well, leaving the path open. However on enough attempts their AI seems to break and at least one of them starts just running into the wall refusing to aggro any enemies, resulting in a harder journey for me. The boss itself is amazing though, I .love that the adds aggro against the boss as well as you, you just keep your distance and watch.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Not to be that guy, but you can ignore everything on the main path and go around the right side, fighting three singular enemies. It's very probably true that you can ignore those anyway and book it.

While we're on the game, I get perpetually miffed that my favorite weapons - strange ones and boss weapons - are all unable to be infused AND enchanted, leading me always to the question of "why should I use this hard to master, limited upgrade material requiring thing when instead I could use A Sword, put magic weapon on it, make it scale better with my main stat and therefore deal literally twice the damage?". I can deal well with losing some efficiency for style, but it's too much of a difference...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

I didn't have trouble with it having played the original game before, but for new players, sticking a giant enemy that will almost certainly kill them right on the main path at the start of the game is very nonsensical. It's an unnecessary hazard placed at a point where most players will be forced to put their understanding of the mechanics to the test for the first time outside of the tutorial. It wanders incredibly close to the bonfire, and the cave tunnel with an item in it, so it most likely led to a lot of first time players having a bad first experience. Everything else nearby is simple to kill, so sure, they'll try to take on the hippo too. Much like the random dragon they put in heide's, it goes back to the complaint that scholar seems very much designed for people who had already played dark souls 2 before, which does not make sense as scholar was the version designed for xbox one and PS4 players. I have read complaints from multiple people who started with scholar about these things.

Please continue to be condescending about your videogames for no reason though

I just remembered you can't run through the dark chasm dungeons straight to darklurker, you have to kill all the phantoms every time you attempt him. Why!? Between that and the DLC "co-op areas" the boss runs are kind of pissing me off. I don't think I'm even going to bother with Ivory King one.

thecluckmeme posted:

They literally redo the archer bit from DS1 with an extra archer that kills you if you go "oh, it's the archer bit, i know how to do this" lol

I found the DS3 archers a lot easier since the paths are a lot wider and they don't body block you.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Apr 26, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I just remembered you can't run through the dark chasm dungeons straight to darklurker, you have to kill all the phantoms every time you attempt him. Why!? Between that and the DLC "co-op areas" the boss runs are kind of pissing me off. I don't think I'm even going to bother with Ivory King one.

Ivory king had a fun first boss, but that was the only part of the dlc I liked (didn't finish it). You can get a goofy helmet though! The run is kind of a pain just because it's pointlessly long, but there's nothing in the way. It's like the quintessential boss run - no real threat, just tedium.

Runs back to bosses in the souls series drag it down a lot for me. I don't mind hitting a wall on bosses because a lot of the harder ones are also the better ones, but it's kind of a drag when I have to spend most of a minute running back. I've figured out a good route, I'm not getting hit on the way there, now I'm just paying the fun tax to get to the boss fight. It'd be so nice if you could just respawn outside their fog door with all your poo poo restored if you died to them 3 times in a row or something.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morglon posted:

I play MOBAs too, but when I'm losing in them I don't really get frustrated or angry at them. They're still just videogames and the numbers in them mean nothing to the real world. Maybe you're just a manchild? I'm a huge prick

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What does MOBA stand for?

Top Hate and Suit
Feb 13, 2012

Mobile online battle arena.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morglon posted:

I think Pyrion Flax put it best; you're locked in for, on average, a forty minute game with a set group of people. Teamwork is required, sure, but more often than anything you'll find that the match is decided early, and someone is to blame. It might not be their fault, but the games are long and stressful; that turns into somebody on that losing team becoming just the worst, and that might well be you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've played less than half an hour of Dark Souls 2. All I can remember is that the enemies can swivel on the ground if you try strafing them, even the heavy guys seem to moonwalk.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Archer Alley in DS3 is nowhere near as terrible ad in the first game. keep on the furthest right and roll off on the rooftop. you can loop back and kill the archers one by one in a relatively safer approach.

in fact none of the areas in DS3 are as bad as the areas they're echoing. the poison swamps in this game are loving quaint compared to Blighttown or Valley of Defilement.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

MOBAs, but MOBAs are the worst thing to happen to videogames since '83.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

MOBA fans are just kinda dicks about MOBA's. Dark Souls fans think that everyone except them suck and are dumb and need to git gud AND WHY ISN'T EVERYTHING A DARK SOULS. WHY ARENT ALL GAMES HARD HURRDURR.
(I'm a dark souls fan and hate most people who like the games)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

With a few exceptions, MOBA players are way more abusive though. There is the occasional dark souls hatemail, and there is one lovely person on SA who has started spewing hate at me multiple times simply because I've criticized bloodborne, but for the most part they just act like their favorite games are immune to criticism or get really snide and condescending about them. MOBA players however are goddamn abusive assholes in every way, and that's a lot worse.

Gitro posted:

Runs back to bosses in the souls series drag it down a lot for me. I don't mind hitting a wall on bosses because a lot of the harder ones are also the better ones, but it's kind of a drag when I have to spend most of a minute running back. I've figured out a good route, I'm not getting hit on the way there, now I'm just paying the fun tax to get to the boss fight. It'd be so nice if you could just respawn outside their fog door with all your poo poo restored if you died to them 3 times in a row or something.

This is a big complaint of mine as well, there is no reason to waste your time with this poo poo but they do it every single game. If they have to design bosses such that they are giant spikes in the difficulty curve that completely block your otherwise steady progress until you've beaten your face against them the requisite number of times (an unrelated complaint of mine) they could at least not waste your time by making you run through a level on every attempt. It adds literally nothing to the game.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Apr 26, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well since we're moaning about dark souls 3 I feel like they forgot about the limitations of the camera to an extent this game. Like on a few bosses oceiros, nameless king, abyss watchers first stage the major handicap is you don't see what's coming just because the camera fucks you or part of the boss model is looming somewhere so you just don't see the tell the boss gives. It was a thing I felt that they had mostly solved in 2. Like in the sunken dlc all the boss fights involve multiple enemies or the bosses soaring up into the sky but I never felt hosed by the camera. And you had the same thing happening a bit in the game areas where every so often I found myself getting pinned between a wall and a knight or something and I couldn't pick the right direction to roll in because the perspective was just squashed. Even in the denser sections of old iron king where you could have multiple biggish mobs in relatively tight space I can't recall that ever happening. Like you could get overwhelmed for sure but never pinned to a wall trying to roll into another one. Maybe no one else had these issues but its a thing that stuck in my mind.

Game is also kind of linear compared to the others where like very quickly the world is your oyster.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Digirat posted:

With a few exceptions, MOBA players are way more abusive though. There is the occasional dark souls hatemail, and there is one lovely person on SA who has started spewing hate at me multiple times simply because I've criticized bloodborne, but for the most part they just act like their favorite games are immune to criticism or get really snide and condescending about them. MOBA players however are goddamn abusive assholes in every way, and that's a lot worse.

That's not unique to MOBAs, however. You get the same types of players in FPSs and, to some degree, also in MMORPGs and probably any game that lets you play a) online and b) with other real people. Bonus points if it has built-in messaging or (ideally) voice chat.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there are a lot of nice cool people who play games and a lot of lovely people who play games. there, done.

I would never ever ever let someone I care about play DS2 as their first souls game (especially SOTFS), and I'm reluctant to recommend it to people who have beaten other souls games. It's just patently unfair and lazily designed most of the time. It really irks me to see people interpret souls games as "the really hard games" without realizing that there is a deliberate amount of fairness incorporated into every interaction in the games--except DS2, which punsihes you unfairly and non-deterministically at every turn.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

thecluckmeme posted:

Never having gotten to that part in DS1, it was piss easy in DS3, because I didn't charge in like a twit, lured one out at a time, and they ran themselves off the edge. Lack of knowledge of old Souls games seems like a bonus.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Goofballs posted:

Well since we're moaning about dark souls 3 I feel like they forgot about the limitations of the camera to an extent this game. Like on a few bosses oceiros, nameless king, abyss watchers first stage the major handicap is you don't see what's coming just because the camera fucks you or part of the boss model is looming somewhere so you just don't see the tell the boss gives. It was a thing I felt that they had mostly solved in 2. Like in the sunken dlc all the boss fights involve multiple enemies or the bosses soaring up into the sky but I never felt hosed by the camera. And you had the same thing happening a bit in the game areas where every so often I found myself getting pinned between a wall and a knight or something and I couldn't pick the right direction to roll in because the perspective was just squashed. Even in the denser sections of old iron king where you could have multiple biggish mobs in relatively tight space I can't recall that ever happening. Like you could get overwhelmed for sure but never pinned to a wall trying to roll into another one. Maybe no one else had these issues but its a thing that stuck in my mind.

Game is also kind of linear compared to the others where like very quickly the world is your oyster.

I feel the camera issues the most with king of storms. it's too mobile as a large enemy to deal with like most of the bigger guys and it's only got one effective hitbox that's always moving. I had to upgrade a larger weapon just to reach it with my strikes. it's also pretty bad with the larger beasts that have counterattacks for circlestrafers (irithyll has a few of these).

also projectiles track your movements even when I think they shouldn't. like soul arrows and flame breaths could do it bc they're magic but crossbow bolts and arrows shouldn't curve to your path. I'm not playing wanted here.

soulsgames are becoming a genre now. with lords of the fallen, salt & sanctuary, and nioh there's gonna be a ton of comparions between the copycats and fromsoft games. I'm glad action RPGs are making waves again in gaming but I'm worried that other games will just ape the style without really understanding what makes the games "work."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You mean exactly like Lords of the Fallen? I've ragged on it in this thread enough but it can't be overstated how much it just does not get it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I beat Transformers Devastation and I wasn't prepared for how short it was. I didn't know! There's only five characters you get to play as in it! The story's super short as well! I was all geared up for a Metal Gear Rising or Vanquish and instead I got something that's three steps away from Korra in how much content there was!

I hope they can make another with some more substance. And a better done loot and upgrade system. The one in Warriors Orochi 3 seemed pretty easy to follow.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Action Tortoise posted:

also projectiles track your movements even when I think they shouldn't. like soul arrows and flame breaths could do it bc they're magic but crossbow bolts and arrows shouldn't curve to your path. I'm not playing wanted here

You're right about the rest, but arrows don't curve. I've constantly avoided arrows by simply stepping a little to the left. The game is hard, but don't invent poo poo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You're right about the rest, but arrows don't curve. I've constantly avoided arrows by simply stepping a little to the left. The game is hard, but don't invent poo poo.

Arrows totally curved in DS2, did they remove that for DS3?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they absolutely positively curved in DS2, I think even in DS1 too. DS3 removed it perhaps? but the arrows and bolts seem to be faster

RareAcumen posted:

I beat Transformers Devastation and I wasn't prepared for how short it was. I didn't know! There's only five characters you get to play as in it! The story's super short as well! I was all geared up for a Metal Gear Rising or Vanquish and instead I got something that's three steps away from Korra in how much content there was!

how much did korra have?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alteisen posted:

So Star Fox Zero is a fairly solid game that's buried under a mountain of stupid controller gimmicks. Why, why WHY the gently caress is Nintendo so intent in taking games that control just fine with a standard controller and load it up with useless poo poo.

Its Kid Icarus Uprising all over again. :smith:

As a lefty who got the game used, Kid Icarus Uprising really started hurting my wrists after like twenty minutes. I had to stop halfway through. It's too bad, if the controls were better the game would be awesome.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

run almost directly towards an archer and watch the trajectory curve. it's subtle but it's there. you can def dodge them but arrows curve just like every other projectile. I think knives are the only ones don't.

Simply Simon posted:

You mean exactly like Lords of the Fallen? I've ragged on it in this thread enough but it can't be overstated how much it just does not get it.

have you listened to bonfireside chat? it's a goon run dark souls podcast and on off seasons they cover souls related media. lords was one of topics and they managed to find some positives in that game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Arrows totally curved in DS2, did they remove that for DS3?
They did not. Go to the Undead Settlement, then over the bridge where you can get ambushed by the hood guys shooting at you from the roof. Then bait one of them while looking at them with your bow, to enjoy the sight of magically curving projectiles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
MOBAs have the worst fans, Dark Souls has the worst haters.

Tracula posted:

MOBA fans are just kinda dicks about MOBA's. Dark Souls fans think that everyone except them suck and are dumb and need to git gud AND WHY ISN'T EVERYTHING A DARK SOULS. WHY ARENT ALL GAMES HARD HURRDURR.
(I'm a dark souls fan and hate most people who like the games)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lords of the fallen gets slammed because the people who will defend absolutely any flaw in a from software game were ready and waiting to rip it apart the moment it released, because apparently from software are the only ones who're allowed to make a game in that genre and that impostor had no right to infringe on their greatness.

It's by no means a great game but people seriously exaggerate how bad it is. I'd like to see more games in that genre from different perspectives, because from's is pretty limited and can be very shortsighted (see: durability being dragged back into every game without remembering to give it a reason to exist). Much like how lives were put in 8-bit and 16-bit games for a long time after they had any reason to exist, from tends to copy a lot of elements between games with apparently not much thought as to why they're doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went into it hoping to enjoy it and it went from mediocre to start to garbage at the end. I wouldn't mind playing another Not Dark Souls by an actually good developer though.