Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They are also super easy to kill and not very strong.

Ran into a new thing today: instead of sliding around in A-Pose, they were just running at me with their shield up and nothing I could do would phase them. No bouncing off their shield, no kicking it, nothing. They weren't hitting me either as far as I could tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
At think that (at least part of) the reason why Aldrich Faithful gets way more hits than the other auto-summon covenants is explained by a few coordinating factors:

1) Aldrich Faithful hits the area immediately after a boss, which as a matter of course means that everyone who enters the zone for the first time will be embered.
2) The Aldrich Faithful invasion zone is also a dueling hotspot. Anyone hanging out there to PvP that hasn't made the trek to kill Aldrich is open for invasion.
3) Matchmaking likely works similarly to other DS games, where you get a pool of individuals to connect to, and that pool is partially selected for via proximity in-game. It's possible that the system for selecting individuals for potential matchmaking is very generous with the Irithyll area.

Conversely, people entering the Farron Keep area are less likely to be embered due to the comparatively longer distance between the last boss they fought (Greatwood) and the invasion zone, especially considering that there are a few enemies in between that give many people quite a bit of trouble (such as the Irithyll Outrider).

I played through the entirety of NG and NG+ with the Legion covenant item equipped and never got summoned to defend the zone *except* when I was actually playing in it, where I got a summons every three to ten minutes with some regularity.
This leads me to believe point three above is a culprit. With as many people as there are playing the game, I hypothesize that your limited matchmaking pool (in Dark Souls 1 it was fifty people iirc) gets filled with people near you in the game quite rapidly, so it never expands out and searches for people farther away.

Also, I'd just like to reiterate -- poise is fine as it is. Dark Souls 1 poise was seriously problematic and as much as I loved PvP in that game, I'm glad its poise system did not make it into 3. The current system of extending hyperarmor frames as your poise increases works quite well.
As I said before, I regularly am able to trade hits with lighter weapons. They get stunned and only hit me once, I do not get stunned and get to hit them twice. It works out. I just need to predict their swing slightly so my hyperarmor frames have started in time.
Getting to 30 poise helped with that quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's some breakpoint or what, but it's noticeable.
I was tooling around in a fight club most of last night and my overwhelming success can be partially attributed to being able to poise through the hits of my opponents.
I get about 15 poise from armor and the rest from Wolf Ring +1.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I like how easy the Ringu Spiders are to kill, but the way they move can still instill panic in me. And the one time they ambushed me (trying to run through to the kitchen) hosed me right up.

The Deep Accursed (wolfspider curse monkeys) are A LOT SCARIER.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
What's neat is the spider women and the Irithyl bridge-dog both have gaping chest mouths like the Gaping Dragon from DS1

And yeah, that wolfspidermonkey demon is terrible and the one monster I absolutely hate in this game. Even more than the Hand-Hippos

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tamayachi posted:

What's neat is the spider women and the Irithyl bridge-dog both have gaping chest mouths like the Gaping Dragon from DS1

And yeah, that wolfspidermonkey demon is terrible and the one monster I absolutely hate in this game. Even more than the Hand-Hippos

The croco-dog also has the same kinda mouth.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
The Deep Accursed wolfspider things have some vulnerability frames that hitting them within causes them to stagger and open up for a visceral attack, but I'm honestly not sure what they are, because every time I've triggered it it has been by accident.
I don't think it's the "hit enemy multiple times in a short span with a heavy weapon" mechanic in this case because it has happened when I hit one for the very first time. It's similar to the way the hand ogre things in the Profaned Capital can be staggered into a visceral attack opening by hitting the eyes on their stomach when they stand up to charge&grab you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've beaten everything else in the game but I still can't beat that lightning arsehole on his birdragon. Maybe tomorrow.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

looking like another Havel's-wearing idiot

Sounds like somebody can't stop The Rock

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

MrTheDevious posted:

After getting jacked 20x in a row by the wizard boss who summons clones, I finally googled it in frustration. Turns out being colorblind sucks :emo:

What's up colorblind buddy. I'll see you (or maybe not!) at this year's Jets Bills game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tamayachi posted:

I didn't have any problem with the wolfspidermonkey thing, but yeah, gently caress the hand hippos.

And the croco-dogs.

+

+

=

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Sakurazuka posted:

I've beaten everything else in the game but I still can't beat that lightning arsehole on his birdragon. Maybe tomorrow.
I've been in the same boat, but after equipping the Carthus Blood Ring (and maybe some protection rings just to be safe) he became far easier for me. Those extra I-frames are a huge boon in that fight.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Harrow posted:

Meanwhile, in DS3, you should probably leave Vigor at 27 even through NG+ because the gains from 27 to 50 are pretty small compared to the ones you get before 27. 27 Vigor + Ember gives you the same amount of HP as 50 Vigor.

This is a game of glass cannons, apparently. Even Bloodborne made you more durable.

People say 27 Vigor because that is 1000 health even, but I am pretty sure 28 vigor is optimal since you get 19 more HP for the extra point (After which it falls off a cliff).

Anyway I've been screwing around with magic builds and my sorcerer seems to have really turned the corner and he's actually good now at SL 50 (In Ithryll). He's probably still garbage for PVP, but I seem to be starting to have enough tools that he's actually better than my strength build was for most PVE situations.

I've got 2 magic scaling weapons that I like (Crystal Sage's Rapier +2 and Cleric's Candlestick +6), and it seems like now that I have a sage ring / 2 magic amplifying items (crown of dusk and dragoncrest ring) my stopping power with Great Heavy Soul Arrow is pretty good. I'm sitting at 18 ATT 30 INT 16 STR 18 DEX 12 FTH and the rest in Vigor at the moment.

I'm using the rapier and a shield most of the time and generally swapping over to a staff to pull with soul arrow for anything remotely difficult. It's pretty smooth sailing finally 10+ hours into the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from the Gaping chest, the crocodogs are straight up identical to the wolf thing that represents Guts's inner demons in Berserk

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sakurazuka posted:

Aim for the beak in phase 1, never lock on. If you can avoid getting hit in phase 1 you're good for phase 2 where you just have to learn to dodge his poo poo.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

If anyone's been following Nioh, the Souls-clone spiritual successor to Onimusha, apparently there's a demo out on PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZAIEVsi9c

I do mean Souls-clone. Basically identical stats and leveling system, bloodstains from other players, summoning other players, all that good stuff. They do have a cool thing that lets you preview what new skills/spells do before you get them. Also apparently player bloodstains aren't just "see how this dude died"--instead, you summon their revenant and can fight them for an item.

Looks kinda fun, though. The spear this player starts using around 40 minutes in looks insanely cool.

Thank loving god, my PS4 won't just be a bloodborne machine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Substandard posted:

People say 27 Vigor because that is 1000 health even, but I am pretty sure 28 vigor is optimal since you get 19 more HP for the extra point (After which it falls off a cliff).

If you go to 29 you get another 19, and another 18 for 30 Vigor. It doesn't really fall off a cliff until 40 or 45, depending on whether you think 13 HP per point is the cut-off or 9 HP per point. It really is a pretty steady decline from 26 to 50, at which point you stop gaining much of anything, so it's hard to say there's a really "optimal" cut-off point.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

bobjr posted:

So I summoned someone for Aldrich who just glided on the ground without moving any part of their body, was invincible, and did a crazy amount of damage. I guess that's one Lord of Cinder down?

I've seen this bug a number of times while sun-broing. It's like the two sides connection gets messed up, and it looks like the other party is just floating around. Most of the time it prevents me from getting past the boss fog, but I did get in once, and I killed the Pontiff while he just helplessly floated around. I could see he was damaging the host occasionally, but he couldn't damage me, and nothing was animating (aside from my own character).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Sounds like somebody can't stop The Rock

you can stop the rock with a dagger r1 in DS3

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tykero posted:

At think that (at least part of) the reason why Aldrich Faithful gets way more hits than the other auto-summon covenants is explained by a few coordinating factors:

1) Aldrich Faithful hits the area immediately after a boss, which as a matter of course means that everyone who enters the zone for the first time will be embered.
2) The Aldrich Faithful invasion zone is also a dueling hotspot. Anyone hanging out there to PvP that hasn't made the trek to kill Aldrich is open for invasion.
3) Matchmaking likely works similarly to other DS games, where you get a pool of individuals to connect to, and that pool is partially selected for via proximity in-game. It's possible that the system for selecting individuals for potential matchmaking is very generous with the Irithyll area.

Conversely, people entering the Farron Keep area are less likely to be embered due to the comparatively longer distance between the last boss they fought (Greatwood) and the invasion zone, especially considering that there are a few enemies in between that give many people quite a bit of trouble (such as the Irithyll Outrider).

I played through the entirety of NG and NG+ with the Legion covenant item equipped and never got summoned to defend the zone *except* when I was actually playing in it, where I got a summons every three to ten minutes with some regularity.
This leads me to believe point three above is a culprit. With as many people as there are playing the game, I hypothesize that your limited matchmaking pool (in Dark Souls 1 it was fifty people iirc) gets filled with people near you in the game quite rapidly, so it never expands out and searches for people farther away.

Also, I'd just like to reiterate -- poise is fine as it is. Dark Souls 1 poise was seriously problematic and as much as I loved PvP in that game, I'm glad its poise system did not make it into 3. The current system of extending hyperarmor frames as your poise increases works quite well.
As I said before, I regularly am able to trade hits with lighter weapons. They get stunned and only hit me once, I do not get stunned and get to hit them twice. It works out. I just need to predict their swing slightly so my hyperarmor frames have started in time.
Getting to 30 poise helped with that quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's some breakpoint or what, but it's noticeable.
I was tooling around in a fight club most of last night and my overwhelming success can be partially attributed to being able to poise through the hits of my opponents.

I agree. You are smart

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aim for the beak in phase 1, never lock on. If you can avoid getting hit in phase 1 you're good for phase 2 where you just have to learn to dodge his poo poo.

how the poo poo do you avoid / mitigate the dragon's airborne fire breath bomb? i can dodge / block every other attack, but when the dragon flies up and breathes fire down into the arena it's a guaranteed flask. depending on how many times he randomly decides to do this before i can kill him, it makes the number of flasks i take into phase 2 very difficult to control. in n+1 attempts at this boss, i have managed to roll+run far enough away from the fire to avoid any damage exactly 1 time. sometimes, it even triggers twice, so it turns into a 1HKO, and the best part is that the second damage tick is while i am still lying on the ground, not able to animate and roll or block or do anything.

seriously how to you get around the airborne fire breath. the only thing i have had some luck with is trying to change my positioning in the fight so that the dragon is less likely to use the move in the first place (but again i think it's random and i'm just getting confirmation bias).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do all the fun covenant's rewards have to be magic based? gently caress magic, give me cool armour and swords.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

homeless poster posted:

how the poo poo do you avoid / mitigate the dragon's airborne fire breath bomb? i can dodge / block every other attack, but when the dragon flies up and breathes fire down into the arena it's a guaranteed flask. depending on how many times he randomly decides to do this before i can kill him, it makes the number of flasks i take into phase 2 very difficult to control. in n+1 attempts at this boss, i have managed to roll+run far enough away from the fire to avoid any damage exactly 1 time. sometimes, it even triggers twice, so it turns into a 1HKO, and the best part is that the second damage tick is while i am still lying on the ground, not able to animate and roll or block or do anything.

seriously how to you get around the airborne fire breath. the only thing i have had some luck with is trying to change my positioning in the fight so that the dragon is less likely to use the move in the first place (but again i think it's random and i'm just getting confirmation bias).

Run away the second you hear it roar and take off. You have just barely enough time to get out of it. That is the intended method of dealing with that mechanic.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

homeless poster posted:

He doesnt napalm from above if you stay in front of him.
He only does this if you get under him.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Harrow posted:

If you go to 29 you get another 19, and another 18 for 30 Vigor. It doesn't really fall off a cliff until 40 or 45, depending on whether you think 13 HP per point is the cut-off or 9 HP per point. It really is a pretty steady decline from 26 to 50, at which point you stop gaining much of anything, so it's hard to say there's a really "optimal" cut-off point.

I just looked at the chart. You're right. I was thinking the falloff was greater at that point for some reason, but was wrong. The biggest drop is between 26 and 27 where it drops from 30 points to 23, but it does seem like you get decent returns from the 19 points at 28 for quite a while depending on what you expect returns wise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tykero posted:

What weapon are you using? Do you mean that you're using a lighter weapon and can trade hits thanks to poise, or that lighter weapons don't stagger you out of heavy weapon attacks?

I guess I'm curious because even though I believe people who say poise has an effect on hyperarmor frames, I don't think I ever noticed the effect. Maybe I'm not looking close enough or I'm already timing my hyperarmor frames right, or it just doesn't apply to R1s, I have no idea.

Substandard posted:

I just looked at the chart. You're right. I was thinking the falloff was greater at that point for some reason, but was wrong. The biggest drop is between 26 and 27 where it drops from 30 points to 23, but it does seem like you get decent returns from the 19 points at 28 for quite a while depending on what you expect returns wise.

Yeah, that's why I'm having a tough time identifying a good cut-off point. But I'm also not sure how much damage different weapons tend to do in SL 120 PvP so it's tough to say whether 100 more HP is worth it, or 200 more, compared to pumping another damage stat or getting more Endurance.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Basically you just have to read it like the dragon from DS2 at the end of Aldia's Keep. When you see it go up but move in any other direction, it's time to haul rear end

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I was getting my rear end beat by him so I switched to using Dragonslayer Spear for the extra reach + lightning damage against the dragon, and used the Dark Sword for the actual dude. That and the ring that gives longer invulnerability when rolling and he went down after like 3 attempts, as opposed to me getting wrecked using my Greatsword/Dark Sword build for an hour

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

homeless poster posted:

He'll only do the flame breath if you're attacking his feet, IE under him where the rider can't reach you.

So when you see him jump straight into the air, just loving run. Pick a direction and book it. It's a little hard to explain but if he jumps up into the air and you see his tail hanging straight down, you should already be sprinting.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Steve2911 posted:

Why do all the fun covenant's rewards have to be magic based? gently caress magic, give me cool armour and swords.

You WANT cool armors and weapons to use to locked behind covie ranks? :v:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah poise extending hyper armor frames works pretty well, I like that aspect, I just don't want dark souls pvp to be completely straight sword vs. great sword, which is will be as long as that's all poise does.

The system from the previous souls games was okay, it was just tuned way too much in favor of the guy with higher poise. You should be able to tank SOME hits, just not as much as you could previously.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Watchdogs of Farron have a cool sword as a covenant reward, which pissed a lot of people off because they can't get summoned as a Watchdog and have to farm NPCs for swordgrass to get it :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like Covenants to reward you in content rather than any trinkets; a bonus area gets unlocked or there are special fights you can access after you've reached a certain rank.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Do any of the armors in this game have special effects like in DaS2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah poise extending hyper armor frames works pretty well, I like that aspect, I just don't want dark souls pvp to be completely straight sword vs. great sword, because that's what it is right now.

People aren't getting creative enough because axes and dual-weapons are really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmfZ-YEST8

That said something's gotta be done about straight/thrusting swords being able to stagger as easily as they can and doing as much damage as they do.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Do any of the armors in this game have special effects like in DaS2?

Some helmets do, at least, like the Crown of Dusk (bonus sorcery damage). Not sure about chest armor, boots, or gloves though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd like Covenants to reward you in content rather than any trinkets; a bonus area gets unlocked or there are special fights you can access after you've reached a certain rank.

...With how the blue covenants are right now? Are you mad?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That would be absolutely awful

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah poise extending hyper armor frames works pretty well, I like that aspect, I just don't want dark souls pvp to be completely straight sword vs. great sword, which is will be as long as that's all poise does.

The system from the previous souls games was okay, it was just tuned way too much in favor of the guy with higher poise. You should be able to tank SOME hits, just not as much as you could previously.

At 20 to 30 poise I haven't noticed this effect at all on anything, how much are you rocking?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Harrow posted:

People aren't getting creative enough because axes and dual-weapons are really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmfZ-YEST8

That said something's gotta be done about straight/thrusting swords being able to stagger as easily as they can and doing as much damage as they do.

Yeah I edited my statement because I know it's not actually that (hell, I'M mainlining the caestus/demon fists and doing okay) but it's a monumental uphill battle for some weapons to even stand a chance against something like the estoc or the darksword.

Has anyone even seen anyone else using daggers in pvp? besides using them to slide around in swamp areas

RBA Starblade posted:

At 20 to 30 poise I haven't noticed this effect at all on anything, how much are you rocking?

What effect are you referring to? The tanking thing? Because that's what I'm saying, it doesn't happen at all in DS3.

I'm constantly wearing around 20 poise worth of poise but that's mostly for fashion reasons.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you guys are wondering why Watchdogs summons aren't working, it's because every single Watchdog invader goes straight to me I guess. If you equipped it and didn't get summoned it's probably because I already had two invaders or was asleep or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm just now realizing I could have been attacking the king of storm's feet. I was only ever attacking its head, which worked out well since it opened it up for a visceral attack when it got to about 1/4th hp which then killed it off.