Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tenzarin posted:

I hope they do a last of us sequel where, Joe?(was this the main character) is like old and cant do the adventure thing and the girl is grown up and is the main character now.

same, but for LoZ and linkle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Spyro has transcended being a video game mascot and has transformed into a video game franchise.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

He barely had any character at all, or even that great of a design.
He was well-animated, though. His exaggerated features and movements, as well as the over-the-top death animations, gave the games a lot of character. I think it's why he did so well, despite everything pointed to a failed 90s mascot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

He was well-animated, though. His exaggerated features and movements, as well as the over-the-top death animations, gave the games a lot of character. I think it's why he did so well, despite everything pointed to a failed 90s mascot.

Yeah don't misunderstand me, the games had really good animation for that era. Like anytime Cortex would talk he'd have fully rigged mouth animations and it looked good (though still dated now) instead of the weird like puppet mouths you'd have with say Spyro or anything on the N64. I'm just sayin his character design was never really anything special in the same way Sonic and Mario are but he's still considered pretty memorable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gotta platform fast!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"3"?????

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

same, but for LoZ and linkle

There was a rumor/leak/made up poo poo that the new Zelda game was gonna let you pick your gender, but I bet it doesn't. :sigh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

There was a rumor/leak/made up poo poo that the new Zelda game was gonna let you pick your gender, but I bet it doesn't. :sigh:

This is almost as bad as the time Nintendo made him right-handed :argh:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

No, his name is Tye, but they spelled it incorrectly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously a family orientated company like Nintendo regretted giving him the devils mark

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

But it's not a design flaw. And it's not redundant.

Small design flaws are like having "use multiple" called "use selected" in the menu, even though that's obtuse and unintuitive.
Sorry I wasn't referring to any particular examples. The one in Irithyll where it's like a 20 second walk and the bonfire is in view from the spot. That's literally the only one I find silly.
It's redundant as it adds nothing and isn't needed but I'm not saying that the game's bad because of it or anything like that. I just find it silly to put them that close without any effort made to reach each other. It's a super minor flaw in it's bonfire layout.

Sorry if it came off as me making GBS threads all over Dark Souls 3 for being a gigantic piece of trash due to a silly checkpoint layout.

I think there's a fourth game too on steam.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

It also didn't hurt that the Naughty Dog developed games were all great.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ty/Tye's got a seriously hosed up case of side-mouth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Ty/Tye's got a seriously hosed up case of side-mouth.

They totally tried to do the thing Sonic does where he has a side mouth except they made it this weird permanent... THING. Like his model in game was literally the two sides of his mouth looking like that and then no sign of a mouth around the rest of his face. It looks terrible. It makes it look like he has 2 mouths.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yup this is a a textbook case of "Am I mario enough for ya"-itis.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PantsBandit posted:

Naughty Dog has their heads way too far up their asses to do anything as "juvenile" as a Crash game. hosed up :shrug:

Do you have any article that says that or you just talking out of your rear end.

edit: Considering goons have a rep for saying poo poo and it ends up not being true.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Do you have any article that says that or you just talking out of your rear end.

edit: Considering goons have a rep for saying poo poo and it ends up not being true.

I think 10 years of making boring gritty 3rd person action games is enough data to back that up.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The people at Naughty Dog aren't even interested in making good games now. Just like John Carmack, they only want to push graphical technology and produce really pretty visuals.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Shindragon posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/therell-be-no-donut-drake-uncharted-4/

quote:

According to Neil Druckmann the decision was made to take the character out because, "I didn't want to have a laugh at someone’s expense," adding that, "I thought we’d matured beyond that."

Naughty Dog decides they're too mature to have a silly joke character that they'd already programmed into the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PantsBandit posted:

Naughty Dog decides they're too mature to have a silly joke character that they'd already programmed into the game.

Don't talk about Sully like that!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/therell-be-no-donut-drake-uncharted-4/

Still wondering if they kept the ludicrous ragdoll corpses from previous games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Sorry I wasn't referring to any particular examples. The one in Irithyll where it's like a 20 second walk and the bonfire is in view from the spot. That's literally the only one I find silly.
It's redundant as it adds nothing and isn't needed but I'm not saying that the game's bad because of it or anything like that. I just find it silly to put them that close without any effort made to reach each other. It's a super minor flaw in it's bonfire layout.

Sorry if it came off as me making GBS threads all over Dark Souls 3 for being a gigantic piece of trash due to a silly checkpoint layout.

I think there's a fourth game too on steam.

It's fine? I wasn't trying to get all defensive. I just didn't understand why you considered it a flaw. I call these types of bonfires "Checkpoint" bonfires, because they serve a similar purpose to autosave checkpoints in other games.

There are a lot of bonfires in DS 3. One area that has at least one too many is the Farron Woods/Swamp area. It has like 4 bonfires and it's not even that large. There is one that seems completely superfluous.

I don't think these "extra" bonfires detract from the game at all. Like I said before, the reason I didn't like the bonfires in DS2 wasn't because there were "too many" but because there weren't enough sweet hubs. DS 3 has some really awesome hubs, and I don't spend very much time at the checkpoint bonfires because they are just checkpoints between hubs.

I wasn't trying to be defensive.

I haven't finished my first playthrough yet and it's totally blind, so I am staying out of the DS3 thread until I finish it. Then I will take my comments there instead of making GBS threads up this thread. I think I'm pretty close to the end, but I could easily have 15 more hours. Playing with no wiki means that I immediatly hosed up basically all the NPC quests... oh well. I've been stupid thorough, so I doubt I'll find any new areas or anything on subsequent playthroughs, but I have all the npc quests to do still.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

It would be cool to have more Crash Bandicoot.
The Last Of Crash?

Uncrashed?

Wanna see Donut Cortex

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Having lots of bonfires is good 'cause otherwise you get poo poo like that horrible run from Shaded Woods to Drangleic Castle.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Next person to talk about bonfires better bring some drat Smores

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
S'mores and Ovaltine

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

S'mores should be the healing item in the next Souls game, in my opinion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

S'mores should be the healing item in the next Souls game, in my opinion.

They could be an item that doesn't do anything until you rest at a bonfire, and then they are toasted and can be used to heal.

Or you have to give them to the firekeeper to toast for you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Very well, Ashen one. Touch the dark chocolate inside me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VideoGames posted:

It would be cool to have more Crash Bandicoot.

No it wouldn't.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

:wink:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You know you have a good point, why is everyone white in dark souls someone who you can talk to in town?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Being a "Jolly Catarina" guy in Dark Souls 1 made you a black guy but in Dark Souls 3 it just kind of makes you Trump orange

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Being a "Jolly Catarina" guy in Dark Souls 1 made you a black guy but in Dark Souls 3 it just kind of makes you Trump orange

Jubilant Catarina in DS1 made you black but the two NPCs you can meet from Catarina are white under their onion helmets

makes u think

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

More like light souls

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Black people don't exist in fantasy, sadly. I blame Tolkien

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Poise is turned off, hope you don't base a build around it!

Poise still does stuff with hyperarmor frames apparently--that variable turns off DS1-style poise (which is hilariously overpowered if you turn it back on)

Poise should probably do more though because getting stunlocked by thrusting/straight sword R1 spammers is the opposite of fun. The game's balance isn't quite "DS1 on launch" bad but it ain't good.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
What on earth is a hyperarmor frame?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The part of an attack animation where being attacked doesn't stagger you out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think Solaire's a black guy because he's got lightning powers.

• Locked thread