Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'd say Nexus, because I'm a broken record, but if you can, wait until I/O for new models and probable discounts on old models.

Also the odds are decent HTC doesn't make it through their three-year Nexus contract under their own funding and Google straight-up buys them.

If HTC were having financial troubles that bad, Steam would buy them long before Google would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'd say Nexus, because I'm a broken record, but if you can, wait until I/O for new models and probable discounts on old models.
Google haven't released a Nexus phone at I/O since, well, I think ever. This isn't happening. Phones show up late autumn / early winter every year.

In fact they pretty much stopped unveiling hardware at I/O entirely, and they publicly stated that they wanted it to be a developer(/designer/marketer) event, not a consumer event.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Also this year's Nexus is just gonna be the HTC 10 with Nexus written on the back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Probably be a little more worked over than that. I can't imagine Google giving blessing to a front physical button.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Isn't I/O the place where they do some unveiling of the new Android OS version (either partially or fully, E.g. matthias duarte and a bomb-rear end shirt delivering a talk on material design) and it's some other, later trade show where they announce the new hardware?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I/O is chiefly where they announce products that never go anywhere.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Also the odds are decent HTC doesn't make it through their three-year Nexus contract under their own funding and Google straight-up buys them.

I want to like a Nexus device, but I haven't seen one yet that was worth buying. That's not to say they're all bad, just that they aren't really what I'm looking for size/spec wise. That is a crying shame though because I really want to love that line, but I don't want to wait until fall to find out what the compromises this year will be.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Isn't I/O the place where they do some unveiling of the new Android OS version (either partially or fully, E.g. matthias duarte and a bomb-rear end shirt delivering a talk on material design) and it's some other, later trade show where they announce the new hardware?
Yes, basically that. Though now they released the N preview before I/O so even that isn't going to be much of a reveal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Yes, basically that. Though now they released the N preview before I/O so even that isn't going to be much of a reveal.

The reveal is going to be the store where duarte gets those shirts because I'm sure some people really want to know.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man-in-screamingly-loud-paisley-shirt-explains-googles-89986003619.html

I mean look the only thing that can distract people from his weird face/facial hair is a shirt that looks like someone beat a comic book to death with a tree stump all over it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 25, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing we may see at I/O is more of a merging of Chrome OS and Android.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-store-may-be-coming-chrome-os

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Whizbang posted:

If HTC were having financial troubles that bad, Steam would buy them long before Google would.

Valve wants to rentseek OEM partners, it would represent a significant change in strategy and concomitant increase in risk for them to own a hardware company outright.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

kitten smoothie posted:

Because owning a phone OEM worked out so well for Google once already.

It worked out perfectly for them, they only bought it for the patents.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

It worked out perfectly for them, they only bought it for the patents.

Actually it didn't as the patents turned out to be worthless and Google owning a manufacturer almost drove Samsung to leave the Open Handset Alliance.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

TollTheHounds posted:

The 2 mid-rangers they're going to offer are going to be around the $4-500 mark, 1 with dedicated keyboard and 1 just a slab ( ala Z30 ), both with a fingerprint reader.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/blackberry-plans-to-launch-two-mid-range-android-phones-this-year-says-ceo/
Whoa! That's pretty rad. I'm not crazy about the fingerprint reader, but I'd totally buy one once my Moto G gives up the ghost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fingerprint readers rule.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Endless Mike posted:

Fingerprint readers rule.

Especially now that BoA and Chase have fingerprint unlock for their apps, two banks i use.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Fingerprint readers are amazing and I'm sad that my new employers are making me take a company phone that doesn't have one. What am I a loving caveman?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bull3964 posted:

One thing we may see at I/O is more of a merging of Chrome OS and Android.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-store-may-be-coming-chrome-os

This is kind of a big deal if true, hope it happens. I'd love to get the Android app catalog on my C720.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Mister Fister posted:

Especially now that BoA and Chase have fingerprint unlock for their apps, two banks i use.

I was pretty happy to see that BoA used it since being my bank site I used a LastPass generated password I'd never remember. I'm hoping that more apps add it in as time goes on.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Marshmallow officially released for the Priv today!...

For direct buyers.

Carrier-branded devices won't get it until May 3rd ( unless you're in the beta and already on it of course ).

All the Blackberry apps have been updated accordingly/in preparation.

Here's a list of the changes/updates, sorry for the Crackberry link:

http://crackberry.com/what-marshmallow-means-priv

Other than the usual Marshmallow improvements, the only big changes were: slightly better Hub ( more social networks integrated ), swiping on both virtual/physical keyboards ( :confused: ), camera app slightly better ( 2 new video modes, faster shutter time ), slightly better launcher ( custom icon packs/themes I guess? ).

:canada:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That'll be good news to all 5 Priv users

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any phones to be recommended in the up-to-300 category? Looking for a replacement for a dropped and now broken Oneplus One.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Are there any phones to be recommended in the up-to-300 category? Looking for a replacement for a dropped and now broken Oneplus One.

Nexus 5x comes in at just over $200 if you buy through Fi and then cancel the service.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

SB35 posted:

Nexus 5x comes in at just over $200 if you buy through Fi and then cancel the service.

I'm in Europe so the Nexus 5X would be right around the 300 Euro mark, which I'd be ok with, I'm not sure about going with something with a smaller display tho.

Also, I thought the 5X didn't have the greatest performance: http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x-three-months#slide2

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Also, I thought the 5X didn't have the greatest performance: http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x-three-months#slide2

That was written before the March update: http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-5x-performance-improving-update-678705/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

broken clock opsec posted:

Valve wants to rentseek OEM partners, it would represent a significant change in strategy and concomitant increase in risk for them to own a hardware company outright.

Yeah I'm guessing that Valve is paying nothing to HTC and wouldn't bat an eye if the company went under. I'm guessing there's little more than exclusive marketing agreements between the two companies. My personal belief is Valve wanted room scale VR and probably approached some competent display manufacturers and HTC took them up while Samsung and LG turned them down. Valve is interested in software not hardware, someone will make a headset if not HTC.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just now noticing this... But did Google really remove the option to hide contact without numbers from the stock dialer in 5.0 and 6.0?

Had gotten some people at work new phones (Droid Turbo and Turbo 2). Neither of them have the option present to "Display only contacts with phone numbers"

Am I missing something here?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Motorola wrote their own dialer for those phones. I don't know if any of their phones just use Google Phone yet, but I doubt any of their old phones would switch over to it after hitting the market.

Also possibly Verizoned!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

stevewm posted:

Just now noticing this... But did Google really remove the option to hide contact without numbers from the stock dialer in 5.0 and 6.0?

Had gotten some people at work new phones (Droid Turbo and Turbo 2). Neither of them have the option present to "Display only contacts with phone numbers"

Am I missing something here?

Can't hide them on my Nexus 6p. It sucks. You can make sorta custom views in the contacts app to hide them but that doesn't carry over to the dialer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Yeah I'm guessing that Valve is paying nothing to HTC and wouldn't bat an eye if the company went under. I'm guessing there's little more than exclusive marketing agreements between the two companies. My personal belief is Valve wanted room scale VR and probably approached some competent display manufacturers and HTC took them up while Samsung and LG turned them down. Valve is interested in software not hardware, someone will make a headset if not HTC.

I'm fairly certain Valve more or less made their VR implementation open enough that anyone can make headsets for it, and HTC is the only company so far that's taken the bait.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm getting a 6P and leaving my S7 just for work. You win, Smythe.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm getting a 6P and leaving my S7 just for work. You win, Smythe.

I tried a 6P at Best buy the other day and it was awful. - 1 for Smythe.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"Awful"

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Hey guys,

After dropping my phone and shattering the screen this afternoon, I'm thinking of using my last AppleCare+ replacement on my iPhone 6 Plus and then Gazelling it for cash towards a 6P. I've been unhappy with the assumptions that Apple makes in their operating system (both limited settings and the gestures). The thought is to wait for my contract to end in July, unlock, sell the iPhone, and buy a 6P. I'm wondering if then I should just wait for the next Nexus.

My first smartphone was a iPhone 3G and I've been on Apple devices since then. One of my tech friends has a S7 Edge and he loves it after moving from his iPhone 6. I love that there's Google Fi and the new custom cases you can order for the Nexus 6P, but some "break tests" have me worried about destroying it since I've managed to crack/dunk/etc. my iPhone to unusable status at least once a year.

Is there any reason I might not be happy in the move? Any advice (besides maybe "Get an Otterbox/military-grade case") would be great.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

havenwaters posted:

Can't hide them on my Nexus 6p. It sucks. You can make sorta custom views in the contacts app to hide them but that doesn't carry over to the dialer.

Agreed. It sucks as I could hide them in lollipop. Now I have 600+ contacts from around the world in my car contact list because it transfers ALL the contacts and not just the groups I select as visible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a helpful bear posted:

Hey guys,

After dropping my phone and shattering the screen this afternoon, I'm thinking of using my last AppleCare+ replacement on my iPhone 6 Plus and then Gazelling it for cash towards a 6P. I've been unhappy with the assumptions that Apple makes in their operating system (both limited settings and the gestures). The thought is to wait for my contract to end in July, unlock, sell the iPhone, and buy a 6P. I'm wondering if then I should just wait for the next Nexus.

My first smartphone was a iPhone 3G and I've been on Apple devices since then. One of my tech friends has a S7 Edge and he loves it after moving from his iPhone 6. I love that there's Google Fi and the new custom cases you can order for the Nexus 6P, but some "break tests" have me worried about destroying it since I've managed to crack/dunk/etc. my iPhone to unusable status at least once a year.

Is there any reason I might not be happy in the move? Any advice (besides maybe "Get an Otterbox/military-grade case") would be great.

More and more Android phones are being rolled out with impressive levels of water resistance, but impact damage is probably never going to change. Like these days I think you can drop an S7 in the water and if you fish it out and dry it off within a non-shitfaced timeframe it comes out unscathed.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
32 gig version of the 5x for 289 or 279 with coupon

http://slickdeals.net/f/8697523-groupon-nexus-5x-32gb-289-99?v=1

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

More and more Android phones are being rolled out with impressive levels of water resistance, but impact damage is probably never going to change. Like these days I think you can drop an S7 in the water and if you fish it out and dry it off within a non-shitfaced timeframe it comes out unscathed.

I'm sure come July we'll have an S7 Active you can dunk on both the pool and the pavement.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm sure come July we'll have an S7 Active you can dunk on both the pool and the pavement.

Not only that but "pavement dunk" and "pool dunk" will be optional gestures in touchwhiz. To activate s-pay, dunk this motherfucker in the toilet and enter your pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I'm in Europe so the Nexus 5X would be right around the 300 Euro mark, which I'd be ok with, I'm not sure about going with something with a smaller display tho.

I'm the guy kvetching over performance on a sub $300 unlocked Nexus phone. Jesus Christ.