Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AMD had better integer performance. That's why they got it; their hardware was much better suited for bitcoin hashing.

My 6870s paid for themselves. And the rest of the computer. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A thing needed to do mining (IIRC some sort of bit shifting) takes 1 clock cycle on radeon cards, but 3 cycles on nvidia cards, so clock for clock amd gpus were 3 times as fast. And, if you underclocked the rams, the cards GPU could often be pushed quite high, too.

I think 750Ti fixed that, but it was too little too late (290 was still way faster simply due to more pipes), and nothing was mined on GPUs by the time bigger maxwells appeared.

PerrineClostermann posted:

My 6870s paid for themselves. And the rest of the computer. :toot:

Yeah, I got lucky. My 6950s paid for my next 5-10 computers, depending how splurgy I wanna get :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
290's were selling for like $1k, no way it was due to price.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Multi-GPU is definitely AMD's plan for the future. Whether it all works out who knows but here's Raja Koduri talking about it:

https://youtu.be/4qJj1ViyyPY?t=246

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm sure that in the end, Hector Ruiz is going to pop out and reveal that this was all his Machiavellian plans all along.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

290's were selling for like $1k, no way it was due to price.

Yeah nobody who wanted a 290 for gaming really got one for 6 months after release lol. 1k was at its worst but it was consistently 700+ for a long time.

For the fanboy driven market share talk ive spoken my mind on this plenty but, well, Polaris better be the poo poo. $300-$400 for 980ti performance as per the earlier posts is absolutely expected and shouldn't be surprising, I'd hope for slightly better than that (as this is already expected of Pascal as well). What they really need to do is release on a more aggressive timetable from what I've seen so far. Of course by now they can't release any earlier than they possibly can, but... it needs to happen. The lack of response to the 900 series was worrisome, the 300 series "release" was turning into a writing on the wall situation, the Furies did not help anything at all. The last card of note was released in 2013. If DX12 rolled out a year earlier it would have helped them a lot more but considering how close we are to the next gen that may become somewhat moot, at best it will be a "heh sorry you bought a 980ti since everything runs DX12 now" in the future. If Pascal does poorly with DX12 though that would be a huge deal, but it'd be dumb to hope that one brand does poorly with some feature to benefit the other side.

It's already bugging the poo poo out of me that nvidia may get the first set of cards out, especially since its apparent its going to be popular ones. AMD (rightly so - sorry) lost a bunch of customers, and the only way to get most of them back is to bring something not just competitive, but better.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nvidia will have practically no mobile SKUs until 2017 though, and AMD and Nvidia are both targeting completely different market areas this year, and compute and mobile are both fairly high revenue, adjusting for margins.

I think the situation is somewhat less hosed than people are expecting. AMD just needs Zen to hit third base, really.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nvidia will have practically no mobile SKUs until 2017 though, and AMD and Nvidia are both targeting completely different market areas this year, and compute and mobile are both fairly high revenue, adjusting for margins.

I think the situation is somewhat less hosed than people are expecting.

I am probably being dramatic, im just angry about video cards at the end of the day.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

For the fanboy driven market share talk ive spoken my mind on this plenty but, well, Polaris better be the poo poo. $300-$400 for 980ti performance as per the earlier posts is absolutely expected and shouldn't be surprising, I'd hope for slightly better than that (as this is already expected of Pascal as well).

Wasn't the thread only a short while ago speculating that the 1080 might only be a 10-15% gain on the 980ti, for the same price? Seems like the speculation has been all over the place

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'll seriously entertain buying a $300-350 Polaris if it lives up to the rumors, but the reservations will come from the fact that AMD's still sorely lacking on driver frequency and reliability. Sure, nVidia fucks up drivers as well, but thanks to leaks and alternate versions (like iCafe drivers), if one driver doesn't work, you've got about *20* you can try until you get a stable result. A $300-350 card that delivers 980Ti numbers without stable/reliable drivers is like having a dragster with a loose wheel.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just want to see 960M levels of performance for around 30 watts or 970M levels for 40W which would make it feasible to have dGPUs in more ultrabook size machines.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's my take: Stars are a much cooler theme for codenames than islands and I'm glad AMD has caught up to nVidia's "Famous Physicists" line.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Wasn't the thread only a short while ago speculating that the 1080 might only be a 10-15% gain on the 980ti, for the same price? Seems like the speculation has been all over the place

The 1080 isn't Polaris.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Oh I dont know what they will actually deliver, I mean in general it would be a stretch for me to imagine two gens in a row that delivered the previous one's flagship performance at 1/2 the cost. But it is a die shrink so its feasible (so im told anyway) and I'd say that people are outright expecting 980ti performance at $300-$400, perhaps without any great reason. Although the 10-15% number is a little suspicious since that happens to be the common way to describe the 980's performance over the 970 and, if you assumed based on expectation that the 1070 will perform on par with a 980ti you could then say "the 1080 will only perform 10-15% better than the 980ti", much like you could say the 980 only performs 10-15% better than the 780ti since the 970 is regarded as being on par with the 780ti. I'm not saying thats where that comes from, it just seems a little convenient.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'll seriously entertain buying a $300-350 Polaris if it lives up to the rumors, but the reservations will come from the fact that AMD's still sorely lacking on driver frequency and reliability. Sure, nVidia fucks up drivers as well, but thanks to leaks and alternate versions (like iCafe drivers), if one driver doesn't work, you've got about *20* you can try until you get a stable result. A $300-350 card that delivers 980Ti numbers without stable/reliable drivers is like having a dragster with a loose wheel.

So I'm pretty sure that right now NV's drivers are crashing in multiple DX 12 games, judging by the OC3D review of the latest AMD drivers, where they couldn't get numbers for the 980 Ti in DX 12 for Hitman and Quantum Break's issues.

~*NVIDIA quality drivers*~

Don't forget the 364 drivers, and I'm pretty sure there was another bunch pretty recently.

I mean sure it's not hard to do due diligence, but I wouldn't go saying that NV drivers have been anything but lacking of late.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Come on Pascal and Polaris, I want to upgrade from this old 660Ti and i5-2500K. :f5:

I want to build a Skylake rig with a Pascal or Polaris GPU whichever one is a better deal unless they're both great then I'll just stick with Nvidia and get a Pascal card.

And speaking of which I finally installed Windows 10 on my machine (a clean install) and I'm having really strange issues with my ASUS 660Ti even with the newest drivers. The card will get stuck in low power mode and my games run like rear end until I do a reboot or the card gets stuck in high performance mode but doesn't want to engage the boost clock meaning it won't engage my overclock until I reboot.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 26, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you and i both know the 2500k will be competitive for another 5 years

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I bought the 2500k the first day I could and at this point I think I've used it longer than any other single piece of computer gear ever. Been solid across two motherboards and cases and a ton of other peripherals, gonna be driving VR in a few weeks for me too.

That is kind of depressing to think about really, maybe the often (wrongly) predicted death of x86 is finally upon us.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I still have a i7-950 and it's still fine for almost anything I could want it to do. CPUs have seemed fairly stagnant for an average user the last few cycles.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well Skylake does offer noticeably better performance because of DDR4 right? And besides my motherboard is 5 years old and if it craps out do they even make decent Sandy Bridge motherboards anymore?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What type of interpolation do modern gpus do when scaling to a lower resolution? Bilinear? Bicubic?

E: also does scaling from the gpu add any display lag to the pipeline? I can only find mostly contradictory bro science on cs:go forums

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Bilinear iirc

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Well Skylake does offer noticeably better performance because of DDR4 right?

Not unless you have a really good stopwatch or are running a benchmark. There's no reason not to get DDR4 though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ItBurns posted:

Not unless you have a really good stopwatch or are running a benchmark. There's no reason not to get DDR4 though.

In some games that make heavy use of memory bandwidth there are some pretty noticeable gains from overclocking RAM so I would expect that to translate to higher frame rates with DDR4 in general over DDR3.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

In some games that make heavy use of memory bandwidth there are some pretty noticeable gains from overclocking RAM so I would expect that to translate to higher frame rates with DDR4 in general over DDR3.

Which games?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Which games?

Probably something weird like Arma .

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's like it's incredibly hard extracting more instruction level parallelism from current superscalar out of order architectures.

It's why Apple's CPU core looks a lot like Intel's and I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's looked like both.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ItBurns posted:

Which games?

The Witcher 3 & GTAV are two that I know of.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Witcher 3 & GTAV are two that I know of.

Do you have a benchmark for this?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spasticColon posted:

Well Skylake does offer noticeably better performance because of DDR4 right? And besides my motherboard is 5 years old and if it craps out do they even make decent Sandy Bridge motherboards anymore?

Yeah, pretty much any iGPU scales noticeably using faster memory. This includes both AMD APUs and Skylake - moving to faster memory or DDR4 (for Skylake) can make a ~25% difference in performance IIRC.

This doesn't apply to CPU performance, but iGPU performance is basically limited by the fact that you can't cram enough bandwidth through DDR3 or DDR4 for any meaninful performance. Same as for DDR3 dGPUs.

ItBurns posted:

Which games?

FO4 is another, it also seems to scale noticeably from Skylake IPC improvements even in CPU performance although I think some of this is also related to DDR4 vs DDR3 on the earlier chips.

quote:

i5-4690K with Titan X, min/avg fps:

1600MHz: 36.0/54.6
2133MHz: 39.0/61.0
2400MHz: 44.0/66.9
http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-performance-heavily-influenced-by-ram-speed-according-to-report/

Another:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 27, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Refurb Sapphire Tri-X 290 for $200, get em while they're hot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202146

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Paul MaudDib posted:

How is that possible, do you buy them powered on already?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

The refurbed em in the oven.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Panty Saluter posted:

Well, it's a 290, what do you expect?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, pretty much any iGPU scales noticeably using faster memory. This includes both AMD APUs and Skylake - moving to faster memory or DDR4 (for Skylake) can make a ~25% difference in performance IIRC.

This doesn't apply to CPU performance, but iGPU performance is basically limited by the fact that you can't cram enough bandwidth through DDR3 or DDR4 for any meaninful performance. Same as for DDR3 dGPUs.

FO4 is another, it also seems to scale noticeably from Skylake IPC improvements even in CPU performance although I think some of this is also related to DDR4 vs DDR3 on the earlier chips.

http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-performance-heavily-influenced-by-ram-speed-according-to-report/

Another:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page6.html

These are all DDR4 and lol at comparing 1333 to 2400. I'm more amazed that the 8350 seems unfazed at the grossly underclocked RAM.

Edit:

quote:

Yes, we know there's a significant difference between the now obsolete 1333MHz memory speed and 2400MHz, but from memory I don't recall it having anything like that kind of impact on gaming performance. Interestingly the same variation in memory speeds had little impact on the AMD FX-8350's performance, as the processor was just 13% faster with the quicker memory.

I guess I'm not the only one.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 27, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ItBurns posted:

Do you have a benchmark for this?

Right here. The difference is quite pronounced in The Witcher 3 which is the second game shown.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Right here. The difference is quite pronounced in The Witcher 3 which is the second game shown.

Nice. I will have to try this.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

I don't think PowerVR is explicitly weaker than Radeon though? If PowerVR can do their ray tracing gimmick in a solid FP32 design while undercutting AMD significantly, why not go for some Haswell cores and a PowerVR GPU?

Hey Faustian your friend should buy this (low profile bracket included).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680R

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

This would be a great idea... if I didn't also take out my mobo. :negative:

July is when I'll buy gaming things again, and Polaris 10 will have some sort of release by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Those Intel chips don't even use DDR4 memory.