Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Disappointed this wasn't a Trick Jarrett article and/or tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Madmarker posted:

So it is wrong to expect high-level competition had a venue where people explicitly gather to compete?

Yes. There's a big difference between people who have done a little homework and the min-maxing it takes to compete in 8-4s on mtgo. I don't consider myself better than good but I win ~80% of my matches at store drafts against regulars who know what they're doing. Still scrubbed out in the first round of a top-8 draft in the PPTQ I did.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Disappointed this wasn't a Trick Jarrett article and/or tweet.

I expected a meltdown by Trick along the lines of something about "loyalty to magic" than what actually happened. WOTC actually did something that surprised me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
You scream in someone's face long and loud enough, they're gonna have to blink eventually.

Guess Wizards blinked quite fast.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Bahahaha they exceeded even MY cynical expectations of how quickly they'd undo that

Otoh it's nice to see them actually respond to the community

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Can we talk about cool budget decks now

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

squeakiest nerds get the grease

God, wotc is terrible at managing communication.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

ShaneB posted:

squeakiest nerds get the grease

God, wotc is terrible at managing communication.

Pffft like they're not greased already

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Injuryprone posted:

Can we talk about cool budget decks now

What's budget to you, so we have some kind of base line to start with

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

stinkles1112 posted:

Pffft like they're not greased already

Pro magic players are some sebaceous motherfuckers.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
how many times have we had the [haphazard statement] -> [player outrage] -> [hastily-written half-concession] sequence play out over the last year or so? feels like it's been half a dozen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lancelot posted:

how many times have we had the [haphazard statement] -> [player outrage] -> [hastily-written half-concession] sequence play out over the last year or so? feels like it's been half a dozen.

There was a the huge shitstorm over the Oath spoilers and I feel like one or two other ones?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jenx posted:

You scream in someone's face long and loud enough, they're gonna have to blink eventually.

Guess Wizards blinked quite fast.

The problem is that its bad optics to cut them off for something they already earned and potentially the subject of a lawsuit that isn't worth litigating.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

There was a the huge shitstorm over the Oath spoilers and I feel like one or two other ones?

It was the judge bannings and the proxy rule at the very least, probably at least one other

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Right, the proxy rule was incredibly harshly worded and the judge banning over Oath leaks was when Trick said spoilers are stealing, right?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Lancelot posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Who the gently caress is that?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

dril

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Who is Dril?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A guy who's probably more well known then any magic pro.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Who is Dril?

a national treasure

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sickening posted:

Who is Dril?

The evolution of FYAD

Also lmao at wotc, guess that's the "it was legal's doing, they can't be that dumb with timing" argument shot

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

rabidsquid posted:

What's budget to you, so we have some kind of base line to start with

$20-40

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lancelot posted:

I was just about to come in here and ask the same thing. You'd think that after it happening at least 3 times this year they'd think about their ideas a little longer.

Then again it's Wotc so that'll never happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Some Numbers posted:

Right, the proxy rule was incredibly harshly worded and the judge banning over Oath leaks was when Trick said spoilers are stealing, right?

There was also the earlier rescinding of the Modern PT cancellation, but that wasn't really a mistep.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's PPTQ introduction/changes, but that didn't go over super poorly, right? And that was probably a while ago now.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sickening posted:

on a more serious note, dril is a twitter account that makes hilarious tweets about poo poo.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

https://twitter.com/craigus12/status/384411321099640833?lang=en

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728?lang=en

https://twitter.com/dril/status/686689946799845376?lang=en

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Standard isn't the place for you my sweet, summer child.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sickening posted:

Standard isn't the place for you my sweet, summer child.
At a super high level, probably not, but you could probably get away with something cheap at an FNM.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Play Pauper.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
The mono-blue Brain in a Jar list posted upthread is about $25 and it is fuckin fun

Edit: you know what, making playable Standard decks for under $50 would be a fun thread project

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sestze posted:

At a super high level, probably not, but you could probably get away with something cheap at an FNM.

I want to believe but with 20-40 dollar budget you would be hard pressed to win a single match at the average LGS FNM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

The mono-blue Brain in a Jar list posted upthread is about $25 and it is fuckin fun

Edit: you know what, making playable Standard decks for under $50 would be a fun thread project

You can pretty easily build MonoW Humans or Wu Humans for under 50 if you take out the Kytheons...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

You can pretty easily build MonoW Humans or Wu Humans for under 50 if you take out the Kytheons...

a playset of declarations is more than 50 by itself

thalia's lieutenant and knight of the white orchid are both 6 a copy, too

once you've cut your best one drop, your best two drops, your good removal spell (and your alternative wincon in westvale abbey) it is a bad deck

wu is even worse because it has all of those money cards and also archangel of tithes which is 20 bucks a pop

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UberJew posted:

a playset of declarations is more than 50 by itself

thalia's lieutenant and knight of the white orchid are both 6 a copy, too

once you've cut your best one drop, your best two drops, your good removal spell (and your alternative wincon in westvale abbey) it is a bad deck

It's not good but a bunch of Savannah Lions and Always Watchings will get there sometimes... It's not like you can build any other good deck for under 50...

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
My dudes did you not read my post

Brain in a Jar

Seriously go watch it play on MTGGoldfish

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

My dudes did you not read my post

Brain in a Jar

Seriously go watch it play on MTGGoldfish

I've played against it online. It's not good.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah you would say that, because you're a gigantic Johnny Raincloud all the drat time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah you would say that, because you're a gigantic Johnny Raincloud all the drat time

:drat:

Edit: :master:

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread