Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deuce posted:

I feel like in Westeros that would have become an evolutionary trait by now.

Yeah but a ton of the royalty seem to be missing survival traits, that's pretty much a major theme of the series.

MG3 posted:

What was she planning on doing with a whip in the close quarters of the cabin. Same with the spear. Why were they using those weapons for close quarters fighting

Its entertaining but most of the fighting is pretty silly in the show. The battle between Jaime and Bronn and the Sand Snakes was pretty awkward at best, even using some weird editing to try to hide the fact. The show's creators just don't care about choreographing realistic fighting and the vast majority of the audience doesn't even notice.

I was watching old episodes leading up to the new season, and the part where Daenerys takes Mereen, Daenerys and Daario are standing out in the open in front of their army, and the Merenese archers fire a volley at them, and the arrows all land just in front of their feet, which is a pretty cool looking pose. Although when you think about it, the army's general / queen standing out in front of everybody, just a foot away from the reach of enemy archers is pretty stupid. All it takes is a slight breeze and one of those arrows could sail a little further....

But it looks cool so whatever, nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Agronox posted:

Roose Bolton's dogs are the finest fighting force in Westeros.

Maybe they just needed 20 Good Dogs and the dogs retreated to get the rest of the other dogs.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Red Viper vs. The Mountain was great. Jorah Mormont in the Mereen arena fighting to impress his khaleesi was awesome.
Podrick vs. Anonymous Bolton redshirt was clumsy.

And there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK42yBQlzxU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Binary Logic posted:

The Red Viper vs. The Mountain was great. Jorah Mormont in the Mereen arena fighting to impress his khaleesi was awesome.
Podrick vs. Anonymous Bolton redshirt was clumsy.

And there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK42yBQlzxU

Okay good point about Oberyn vs The Mountain, they put a ton of work into choreographing that scene in particular and it showed. And Pedro Pascal rocked that spear.

Mormont's fight was pretty good as well, good weight and physicality to the fighting. And they didn't edit it too much so you could see what was actually supposed to be happening.

Lol @ "Why would I want a horse? Horses are dumber than men!"
Fun fact about that scene, apparently the translation subtitles are wrong. In reality, the insult speech is taken word-for-word from Monty Python's Holy Grail, translated.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

The Duggler posted:

There, it all finally makes sense

This is Jamie's letter to Doran

You can see how inbred he is by the fact that he can't spell "nieces" correctly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He's learned to write with his left hand well.

V But that's probably true.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 26, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AMReese posted:

You can see how inbred he is by the fact that he can't spell "nieces" correctly.

It's been established that he writes like a little kid with his left hand and has to get someone to rewrite his letters after he drafts them, so presumably whoever rewrote that one doesn't know how to spell either.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

vyelkin posted:

It's been established that he writes like a little kid with his left hand and has to get someone to rewrite his letters after he drafts them, so presumably whoever rewrote that one doesn't know how to spell either.

"Well this can't be right, he wrote 'Niece Daughters.'"

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Jaime is also dyslexic. Tywin mentioned it to Arya that Jaime struggled with it as a child in season 2.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
A random thing I haven't heard anyone talk about was Tyrion saying, "That's a problem." After noticing the people listening into a man speaking upon religion. Shows how truly well he knows people and how to run a city. Once he left kings landing and religious Zealots started popping up, everyone saw it as harmless and now look at where they have ended up. Yet Tyrion quickly sees something similar as a threat while wondering around Mareen.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Melisandre at a baby shower

http://youtu.be/-5C6kG57J7Q

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MG3 posted:

What was she planning on doing with a whip in the close quarters of the cabin. Same with the spear. Why were they using those weapons for close quarters fighting

It helps that Trystane barely could get his sword out of its scabbard. That would have been a terrible fight.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Zaphod42 posted:

I was watching old episodes leading up to the new season, and the part where Daenerys takes Mereen, Daenerys and Daario are standing out in the open in front of their army, and the Merenese archers fire a volley at them, and the arrows all land just in front of their feet, which is a pretty cool looking pose. Although when you think about it, the army's general / queen standing out in front of everybody, just a foot away from the reach of enemy archers is pretty stupid. All it takes is a slight breeze and one of those arrows could sail a little further....

But it looks cool so whatever, nobody cares.

This is literally every piece of fiction that has ever had arrows in it.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Zotix posted:

Current league standings for anyone that didn't see them yet.

A bit late but here's my team
Catelyn
Stannis
Gendry
Beric
Rickon
Hotpie
Roslin Frey
Cheese boy

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Bold picks with Stannis and Catelyn ;)

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

Just not in Hero. That turns out rather differently.

Then again, they manage to sweep away arrows with their sleeves earlier in the movie, so what do I know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Nah, movies like Braveheart or 300 show them all hiding behind shields (even the general)

And there's plenty of other realistic war movies that have the general fully behind the army as he should be, well out of arrows' range.

Its definitely a common cliche though, similar to walking away from an explosion or making a big jump and landing in that crouched one hand on the floor pose.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Ofecks posted:

The article says that relations were becoming strained between them, but this is a real stab in the back (since transporting Shae obviously didn't occurr). I haven't re-watched any of the series since my initial binge over a year ago, so I don't remember everything, but why would he do that?

Also apparently Arya's direwolf (Nymeria) is still out there somewhere?

Tyrion and Bronn had a clearly established mercenary relationship. The extent to which their friendship factored in was that Bronn would give him a shot to pay him more, and in season 4, Tyrion was in no position to do that. So he either didn't take her, or later brought her back, because he knew he couldn't really do anything else. They kinda clear that up, even, when Bronn visits.

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

So why is Davos defending Jon's body? What is in it for him? Are the Night's Watch members defending his body show fans that worry if they burn his body then he really is dead? Every action they take is as if they know he is going to be resurrected.

It seems like it was kinda accidental? He found the body, and got pretty naturally caught up with Jon's loyalists (since Davos is loyal as gently caress), and now they're stuck in a small room with a corpse. I assume they only grabbed the corpse to protect it and maybe burn it in those trees north of the Wall.

DrKrankenwagen posted:

Speaking of which, what the hell is Davos doing in Westeros? The guy is way too nice.

Essos is apparently just as bad but also has slavery.

Like, it seems like maybe the best place to live might be Braavos. Sure, they worship death, but apparently those guys keep things tidy.

thrakkorzog posted:

Except for the issue that Sansa and Theon both grew up around Winterfell. I get that Sansa was kept cloistered in her room doing needlework, but Theon at least should know the area, since he was presented as a somewhat competent hunter, and that's basically his childhood backyard where he learned how to hunt. Theon should know the area better than the people hunting him.

Sure, except Theon's been a prisoner for a long while now, and, more importantly, it's now winter. The Boltons have been operating there in the winter for maybe a year; Sansa and Theon might have some recollections of their childhood, but that's it.

CrazyLoon posted:

It's doubly funny since that's, like, Oberyn's #1 combat tip when he's introduced lol.

The show makes it seem like none of the Sand Snakes ever loving spoke to the man, since all they do is go against every godamn thing he's ever said

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

The show makes it seem like none of the Sand Snakes ever loving spoke to the man, since all they do is go against every godamn thing he's ever said

Killing Oberyn's brother and his cousin because they didn't revenge hard enough over Oberyn's dying in a duel is really, really stupid, and I hate it the more I think about it. Its bad writing. I guess there's also doing nothing about the rape of Elia, but that's kinda old news. Now the sand snakes, a bunch of bastards, are going to take over Dorne? Over House Martell? House Martell is essentially gone?

How is Dorne not going to just break out into riots at this point? There's no way Ellaria is fit to govern. Although I guess the Sand Snakes don't really seem to give a gently caress about anything other than revenge, so even if they have to sacrifice the whole of Dorne they're okay with that?

I was really hoping Doran was going to play it straight faced for seasons and then wait until the Lannisters needed him for something, and then be all "revenge is a dish best served cold, motherfucker" and unleash some grand plan. For all Ellaria knows that's exactly what he was doing, but nope not fast enough, you gotta die! So I can revenge your brother... who loved you...

I don't see why the Sand Snakes wouldn't just piss off to go attack the Lannisters and leave Doran alone. Killing him doesn't seem to get them anything, unless they really are going to try to rule House Martell, which makes no sense.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Killing Oberyn's brother and his cousin because they didn't revenge hard enough over Oberyn's dying in a duel is really, really stupid, and I hate it the more I think about it. Its bad writing. I guess there's also doing nothing about the rape of Elia, but that's kinda old news. Now the sand snakes, a bunch of bastards, are going to take over Dorne? Over House Martell? House Martell is essentially gone?

How is Dorne not going to just break out into riots at this point? There's no way Ellaria is fit to govern. Although I guess the Sand Snakes don't really seem to give a gently caress about anything other than revenge, so even if they have to sacrifice the whole of Dorne they're okay with that?

I was really hoping Doran was going to play it straight faced for seasons and then wait until the Lannisters needed him for something, and then be all "revenge is a dish best served cold, motherfucker" and unleash some grand plan. For all Ellaria knows that's exactly what he was doing, but nope not fast enough, you gotta die! So I can revenge your brother... who loved you...

I don't see why the Sand Snakes wouldn't just piss off to go attack the Lannisters and leave Doran alone. Killing him doesn't seem to get them anything, unless they really are going to try to rule House Martell, which makes no sense.

All the noble houses of Westeros have no extended families. There are only three Martells, Oberyn, Doran, and Trystane. There are only four Starks by this point, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon. There are only four Tyrells, Loras, Margaery, Mace, and Grandma. There is only one Baratheon (well, sort of) left in the world, Tommen. These houses have no cousins, no uncles, no extended families. The only noble house to have an extended family is the Lannisters, who have random cousins like Lancel and those kids that Lord Karstark killed, and Good Old Uncle Kevan hanging out too.

I think the problem is that every exclusive club in Westeros requires you to swear off having kids. Join the Night's Watch? Swear off having kids. Join the Kingsguard? Swear off having kids. Become a maester? Swear off having kids.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zaphod42 posted:

Well the logic is that Doran was the dude in charge of the armies. With him gone, those Sand smirking bitches have 'the love of the people' (somehow ??? they have the youngest flash her god-tier tits? I dunno...) as established at start of S5...and now they can get Dorne really angry, go to war rar and be all revenge and poo poo.

And ofc run their country right into the ground while doing it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope Stannis will finally defeat the Boltons in the next episode, they have been delaying that plot point for a while.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tadashi posted:

It helps that Trystane barely could get his sword out of its scabbard. That would have been a terrible fight.

Is the Sand Snakes' plan literally just to watch the world burn?

Because all they seemed to do is dismantle the existing power structure in Dorne for [reasons], and kill the least important Lannister in a well-thought-out scheme to piss off the Crown, which happens to be an alliance of the two most powerful families on the continent who happen to already hate the Dornish and share borders with them.

"I'm some random bastard who had some daughters with Oberyn. I just murdered Prince Doran and his son, and instigated war with the Lannister-Tyrell army. Sound cool? Who's in?"

(I hope this plot gets way less stupid, real fast.)

Edit: As I wrote this, others have made the same point. But still: this plot sucks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I hope Stannis will finally defeat the Boltons in the next episode, they have been delaying that plot point for a while.
And the week after that the Forresters will finally beat the Whitehills.

:smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raxivace posted:

And the week after that the Forresters will finally beat the Whitehills.

:smith:

I still say that game should have been Ramsay Bolton Simulator 2015.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Xealot posted:

Is the Sand Snakes' plan literally just to watch the world burn?

Because all they seemed to do is dismantle the existing power structure in Dorne for [reasons], and kill the least important Lannister in a well-thought-out scheme to piss off the Crown, which happens to be an alliance of the two most powerful families on the continent who happen to already hate the Dornish and share borders with them.

"I'm some random bastard who had some daughters with Oberyn. I just murdered Prince Doran and his son, and instigated war with the Lannister-Tyrell army. Sound cool? Who's in?"

(I hope this plot gets way less stupid, real fast.)

Edit: As I wrote this, others have made the same point. But still: this plot sucks.

It's almost like they're villains! *gasp*

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Zaphod42 posted:

The crazy thing is, if they really wanted revenge, they could have had it so loving easily. They're pretty ladies with at least some wealth, ties to nobility, and knowledge of poisons, with the added benefit of not being well known at all! Just make your way to King's Landing and loving poison everyone.

Instead they killed a child and their own loving family, to start a war which will definitely kill a lot of Dornish folks.

To their credit they did also gain magical charisma and possibly teleportation powers to make their insane plans work, so you have do admire the dedication

Maarak posted:

It's almost like almost all the villains on this show have actual motivations!

Hell, even Ramsay, the openly psychotic guy, still pursues logical goals

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, by this point I'm just fully onboard with Bronn's assessment "Dornish people are crazy" unironically. It's the only way the Sand Snake poo poo even remotely makes sense in my head.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Maarak posted:

So is Littlefinger. But his plans are actually compelling.

I'm fine with them being villainous, I just want them to be less stupid about it. Or to explain why it's not actually stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

Yeah, but they're really, really stupid villains.

Tywin Lannister was a villain but god drat you had to kinda admire him, because he knew how the game was played and he played to win.

The sand snakes just come across as chaotic evil random nonsense. In any realistic world they'd just get themselves killed, although they'll probably get plot armor for awhile.

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, by this point I'm just fully onboard with Bronn's assessment "Dornish people are crazy" unironically. It's the only way the Sand Snake poo poo even remotely makes sense in my head.

"all they care about is fuckin' and fightin'"

Yeah, that does seem accurate.

Bobo the Red posted:

The crazy thing is, if they really wanted revenge, they could have had it so loving easily. They're pretty ladies with at least some wealth, ties to nobility, and knowledge of poisons, with the added benefit of not being well known at all! Just make your way to King's Landing and loving poison everyone.

Instead they killed a child and their own loving family, to start a war which will definitely kill a lot of Dornish folks.

This is what bothers me so much. Even given their motivations, these actions make no sense at all. Go kill Jaime and Cersei, and then maaaybe get around to killing Myrcella afterwards if you really think all Lannisters must die. Killing Myrcella first is just a real obvious declaration of war, there's no reason to do that. Now Cersei and Jaime are on guard and know the sand snakes are out to get them.

Jaime's letter even says "I know it probably wasn't you who poisoned Myrcella" because its so loving obvious who did it. They've completely abandoned stealth, which is exactly what you don't want to do when you're trying to assassinate the leader of a powerful military house. I guess they're going to try to take over Dorne and House Martell (House Sand Snakes?) and use the Dornish army to attack the Lannisters, but whyyyyyyy. Just poison Jaime and have it done with already! Much more likely to work.

And they could have gone and tried to poison Jaime and Cersei without having to kill Doran either. Just leave! He might be mad at you back in Dorne... so what? The gently caress's he gonna do? You killed the brother of the man you love so much you swear to die fighting for revenge, all for nothing? It just doesn't add up. Its completely unnecessary.

I wonder if the actor decided he didn't want to play Doran anymore or something. That's all that makes sense to me.
Well, at least it gave us a nice big surprise for the season opening I guess.

grundin
May 23, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Now the sand snakes, a bunch of bastards, are going to take over Dorne? Over House Martell? House Martell is essentially gone?

How is Dorne not going to just break out into riots at this point? There's no way Ellaria is fit to govern.

I can buy the idea that the Dornish people hate Doran enough to want to see him dead and don't care if bastards and paramours are running the country. I mean we're already getting the peasant uprising in Kings Landing so it's not unthinkable that a more liberal and accepting culture like Dorne would be up for that. The problem is that House Martell like every other Great House has Lesser Houses sworn into their service (remember when Robb "called in the banners" at the end of season 1, House Martell could do that too). So you'd have at least a dozen or so noble families that would either want to get revenge on the sand snakes or would want to make an opportunistic power grab now that the ruling family is gone. I certainly couldn't see any of them following a bunch of upstart untitled nobodies, regardless of who their father was or who they slept with. What we should see is a major struggle to fill the vacuum that the Martells left but I doubt the show is going to put the resources into a wholly new and separate conflict full of unpopular and entirely new characters. I suspect the fallout of this will largely be ignored for convenience sake and Dorne will mostly vanish from the show except for a couple of scenes where they'll pop up to gently caress with Jamie and Cersei to create some shock and drama.

That being said it is still retarded that Ellaria's response to Martells going unavenged was to extinguish their family line. If it weren't for killing Myrcella Cersei would probably thank her for it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Maarak posted:

Even the white walkers have shown more logic and reasoning than the sand snakes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Doran has let multiple members of the royal family die without consequence and almost foiled the Sand Snakes' last attempt at exacting revenge on behalf of a wounded country. The Dornish nobility were tired of waiting, and the only way that was going to happen was if they put Doran and his dumb kid in the ground. It's not a reasonable strategy, but an honorable one. The Sand Snakes are a personification of all the anger and fury that has built up in Dorne since the Lannisters came to power.

A big element of feudalism is that the liege lord is responsible for the safety of his vassals. If Doran was unable or unwilling to fulfill that obligation, then it shouldn't be a shock that his subjects decided to launch a coup.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuoProQuid posted:

Doran has let multiple members of the royal family die without consequence and almost foiled the Sand Snakes' last attempt at exacting revenge on behalf of a wounded country. The Dornish nobility were tired of waiting, and the only way that was going to happen was if they put Doran and his dumb kid in the ground. It's not a reasonable strategy, but an honorable one. The Sand Snakes are a personification of all the anger and fury that has built up in Dorne since the Lannisters came to power.

A big element of feudalism is that the liege lord is responsible for the safety of his vassals. If Doran was unable or unwilling to fulfill that obligation, then it shouldn't be a shock that his subjects decided to launch a coup.

Uh, maybe they should have shown any of that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, maybe they should have shown any of that.

I thought it was pretty straight-forward when the Sand Snakes spend half their time yelling about Oberyn and his sister before telling Doran that they won't accept "the rule of weak men" anymore.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Or, you know, they're not thinking ahead and instead are reacting to what's immediately happened.

"How dare you not allow us to have revenge on the Lannisters. YOU GO DIE NOW! STABBY STAB STAB!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuoProQuid posted:

I thought it was pretty straight-forward when the Sand Snakes spend half their time yelling about Oberyn and his sister before telling Doran that they won't accept "the rule of weak men" anymore.

Yes, they started yelling about having popular support and Doran being hated etc. after they had killed him. What I mean is that instead of defending the assassination retroactively, they should have built up the Dorne setting so that it would appear logical without a need for post-hoc justification. Show some of the people of Dorne, show how and why they express their grievances and how the prince is ignoring them etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It'd have killed the surprise of the assassination for the audience

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

QuoProQuid posted:

Doran wasn't in a position to avenge anyone. Elia was married to Rhaegar, who wanted to gently caress another lady so badly, he drove the country into war. She was killed, yes, but she was also the wife and mother of a deposed dynasty, her odds weren't great. What is Doran supposed to do? "Hey King, we think your wife's dad you deeply depend on may have killed your mortal enemy's wife, can you execute them please? Evidence? Nah, we don't have that."

Oberyn literally got himself killed. He jumped at the chance to be in a fight he had no business in, and then, after getting the upper hand, did some grandstanding that got him killed. Quite lawfully killed, at that.

There's nothing honorable about killing a child, your uncle, and your cousin, especially when the man you are supposedly avenging would have completely abhorred those acts. They ended his family line to get revenge against the Lannisters.

Also, and I think this bears real consideration, there are exactly two kingdoms that have not been loving devastated by war, and Dorne is one of those. Dorne is doing loving amazing by current Westerosi standards. If the Dornish want to rise up now, they are openly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

It wasn't his vassals getting killed though, it was his immediate family. As people are pointing out, wanting revenge for Martells dying by killing the last remaining Martells is idiotic.

• Locked thread