Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

final boss is like the deacons of the deep but it's a bunch of dudes with greatshields and scraping spears

The real Phalanx starts here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

CJacobs posted:

The man himself can be found in Archdragon Peak.

I knew I shouldn't have rushed the area after Ancient Wyvern :mad: I did run into Ricard unexpectedly but apparently didn't explore enough. This playthrough I'll go there early and take it slow.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
A 60 foot bonewheel.

Which spawns smaller bonewheels.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Final boss of the final DLC is a gigantic square arena with ropes blocking the edges. Cheering crowds of skeletons

TWO Champion Gundyrs

This would own actually

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Solomonic posted:

I knew I shouldn't have rushed the area after Ancient Wyvern :mad: I did run into Ricard unexpectedly but apparently didn't explore enough. This playthrough I'll go there early and take it slow.

There's a tiny chance he can be summoned instead of a drakeblood knight. It's a fun surprise.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

This would own actually

it would also double as the greatest pvp arena of all time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Solomonic posted:

What's with that anyway? I get that the peak is basically a last haven for dragons/man-serpents under the protection of the Nameless King, but why can they summon a drakeblood knight, Havel, and Ricard?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Last boss of the DLC is Ancient Dragonslayer, Elderly Executioner, and Geritol Abysswalker

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Solomonic posted:

There's a ladder near the end of the area that you probably missed. :ssh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheHoosier posted:

Last boss of the DLC is Ancient Dragonslayer, Elderly Executioner, and Geritol Abysswalker

The New Gravelord, which is just a regular skeleton flailing around with the gravelord sword.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Did I miss some lore with Gertrude?

It seemed like she was imprisoned in the archives for heresy, where they experimented on her chimes and stuff. The primordial serpent statue in the archives seems less aligned with Gertrude and more aligned with the weird magical going-ons of archives. Since xanthous magic scholars are a sect of magic academics, and their headpiece was made in imitation of the serpents, it made sense for the statue to be present as a random knickknack in a magic-themed library.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

RBA Starblade posted:

The New Gravelord, which is just a regular skeleton flailing around with the gravelord sword.

Bed of Chaos Redux: Now with more flailing limbs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RBA Starblade posted:

Three skeletons standing on top of each other.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i really hope they include another PVP-as-boss encounter (even if it's an optional one) like 3-3 mad monk or the mirror knight. i really missed that in DS3, and it felt like the mound maker covenant at least should have had that as an optional boss or something you have to do to enter the covenant (instead of being "dont fight a tree until you complete an obtuse series of NPC triggers").

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Last DLC boss is just a bigger, even faster crab.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Ultimate Mimic, in face paint that press slams you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Last DLC boss is just a bigger, even faster crab.

jesus loving christ

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I probably should've figured out by now: is there any pattern to which enemies give you an Estus charge when you kill them? Is it just after killing a certain amount of enemies or what?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Since it's been a hell of a long time since I last played Dark Souls I wouldn't mind some pointers regarding what starter class would be preferable for someone like me.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

one of the DLC zones is, in fact, a mimic

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheHoosier posted:

The Ultimate Mimic, in face paint that press slams you

Still disappointed that my habit of hitting bonfires before lighting them out of fear of a bonfire mimic has yet to be validated.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The final boss is Patches on top of a dragon

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Harrow posted:

I just realized that both Pontiff rings are weaker versions of Bloodborne mechanics and felt kind of dumb because they also come from beast enemies. It was already obvious that the Left Eye ring is a weaker version of the regain mechanic, but I totally didn't notice that the Right Eye ring is a weaker version of Beasthood.

I love the flavor text: "Knights who peer into the black orb are...transformed into frenzied beasts." Bloodborne as gently caress.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the final DLC boss is just pinwheel

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BillmasterCozb posted:

The final boss is spider Patches on top of a dragon

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there any benefit or drawback to setting the boss room on fire before the Dancer fight?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I completed another big chunk of the game so it's time for BOSS REACTIONS from where I left off

YtG - Welp this is going to take a long rear end time. I'm doing no loving damageHEY what's that item over there. Ohh this must be important. Okay I equipped it now I just do tons of damage right? No? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? *You died* I actually freed Seigwald after I finished this boss so I didn't get to see the special cutscene until I did this with a friend later. I had no loving clue at all how to use the sword until I died and got to mess around with it at the bonfire. Then Yhorm was a loving chump. 2 tries
A,DoG - Honestly, if you get hit with the arrow spell the Aldritch uses and die your corpse looks like Leonidas at the end of 300 and that's pretty cool. Boss was still pretty chumpy. 2 tries
BD - I got ported into this fight just after beating Aldritch, only had 3 estsus sips. 1 try should tell you everything I think about this.
CK - I shamefully summoned sad Hawk guy for this fight, so I can't claim solo superiority, but I still thought he was easy. 1 try
CG - Holy poo poo WHO TAUGHT GUNDYR KARATE?? - 2 tries, but I barely survived long enough to finish him off. I feel like I got lucky.
AW - Okay. I'm doing absolutely no damage to this guy. THERE MUST BE A TRICK. I gotta look around for it... OH poo poo THERE ARE TONS OF BAD GUYS HERE KEEP RUNNING AHHHHHH. Ok I seem to be above the boss I wonder if..... YES HOLY poo poo YES THIS IS AMAZING. 1 Try.

I've been trying my absolute hardest to not spoil myself in this thread, but I have caught rumors of a certain boss I am about to face and I am excited to see what I think about this boss that shall not be named ~puns~

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Since it's been a hell of a long time since I last played Dark Souls I wouldn't mind some pointers regarding what starter class would be preferable for someone like me.

Knight is a real solid choice this time. The Longsword is a great weapon and you don't fatroll in Knight armor from the start. Warrior is good, too. Assassin can be fun if you like thrusting swords or want to try to do some fancy skips with falls using the Spook spell.

Pyromancer is a decent start, too, but I probably wouldn't start as the other magic-type classes unless you really, really, really want magic. Sorcerer and Cleric are very slow starts magic-wise. If you do pyromancy, know that it scales this time, and pretty dramatically, with both Int and Faith. It scaled in DS2, too, but much less. It's a big deal this time. A pure pyromancer should go 30/30 or even 40/40 Int/Faith by the end. So it's not really "free" magic like it was in DS1.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 26, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Harrow posted:

DS2's DLC is the best part of DS2 by far, it's all good.

I thought some of the optional bosses were poo poo, but overall they are enjoyable. gently caress the stupid gank squad in Sunken King. The only thing worse than the fight is the run up to the fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

I thought some of the optional bosses were poo poo, but overall they are enjoyable. gently caress the stupid gank squad in Sunken King. The only thing worse than the fight is the run up to the fight.

Yeah, I don't like the "co-op areas" overall, but the core parts of the DLCs were good. Each one had at least one great boss fight and Crown of the Old Iron King had two great fights.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Dank Squad was actually just practice for Dark Souls 3 pvp

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magic is really good, but you only get to really play with it in NG+ and the last boss.

I wish magic was more front loaded :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

il serpente cosmico posted:

The stupid stone tunnel gauntlets in Shulva and Brume Tower are so loving aggravating and not fun. DS2 is a game that basically requires you to be able to attack effectively both at range and in close combat and if you can't shoot the mages in the Iron Passage then you're going to have a real bad time. Both of those are really tough enemy gauntlets that then cap off with really tough boss fights. I liked the gank squad one only 'cause it was pretty unique, but gently caress soloing it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Specifically, as a pyromancer, you can get 30 / 30 the soft cap for Dark Magic, at a really early level, but you won't have the proper Chime / Catalyst until after you've killed a poo poo ton of bosses. Luckily you can item trade, so I'll just drop one for my guy, once I figure out how to do that without getting another player involved. Right now I have to grab a buddy, give my item to him, then summon him into a new world and then have him give it back to me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Magic is really good, but you only get to really play with it in NG+ and the last boss.

I wish magic was more front loaded :(

I'd like Sorcery more if there was either some way to make Farron Flashsword your "main" weapon (but that thing chugs FP like a hog if you're using it like a regular weapon), or if Simple-infused weapons could actually be buffed. Having a split damage weapon in this game is very "blegh" unless you've got an outrageously high base AR (like the Raw Drakeblood Greatsword), and especially when you can't compensate for it with GMW or CMW. I just fought Dragonslayer Armour on my FTH build (which I'm trying because I'm an idiot), and I legitimately had to go and run around getting enough Titanite to get my Raw Astora SS up to +8, because I was doing 79 damage a hit with my lightning-infused Lothric Knight Sword.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 26, 2016

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Lol I'm trying to kill the OOld Demon King and it's really hard cause my game keeps stuttering in that room. This game's really becoming a chore to play. :(

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

Lol I'm trying to kill the OOld Demon King and it's really hard cause my game keeps stuttering in that room. This game's really becoming a chore to play. :(

Something about Lothric Castle makes my framerate occasionally hitch down into 1-2 FPS, and it's really annoying. Had a full-on crash with the bottom fourth of the screen turning into glitched garbage trying to load into Grand Archives earlier. It's perplexing considering that I can get a stable 30-40 FPS in normal gameplay, but certain load triggers turn the game into a slideshow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Would 66 be too high to get good Aldrich Faithful hits? I've never bothered with this covenant before.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Have you tried turning off the Steam Overlay and Nvidia Share Overlay by chance. I had those on and it caused a lot of stuttering, although that was game-wide not isolated to a specific area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Would 66 be too high to get good Aldrich Faithful hits? I've never bothered with this covenant before.

I'm 65 and get tons of Darkmoon hits in Irithyll and I think Aldrich Faithful has a wider SL range.