Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No one's donated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

fishmech posted:

In the classifieds section of today's free newspaper:

https://www.gofundme.com/6pqyfruc

1) why is it called "nighty light" if it doesn't have a light
2) why wouldn't you put a picture or some words in your ad that demonstrated the "invention" aspect
3) how much did this ad cost
4) i'm sorry :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

aol keyword: nightly lighty bear

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's called nighty light because it plays music duh.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it might have been good if she mentioned what she wanted the 25k for

e: well not "good" but i'd still like to know

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's called that because it's made out of material that actually actively reduces its mass when it's dark outside.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

In the classifieds section of today's free newspaper:

Money well spent.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack?token=07458251

John Romero's new lovely game venture. Among other things, the technology megacorp is a lovely anagram of Haxor, and he still hasn't let go of the completely disparate levels idea from Daikatana. It's just holograms now instead of time travel.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Lot of promises, no proof-of-concept footage, and ridiculous "achievements" for promoting the Kickstarter. That's a new one - a game, without the game itself.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"Intense weaponized combat"

what

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

DStecks posted:

what

It's a combat with nails in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack?token=07458251

John Romero's new lovely game venture. Among other things, the technology megacorp is a lovely anagram of Haxor, and he still hasn't let go of the completely disparate levels idea from Daikatana. It's just holograms now instead of time travel.

That's a really good point. He's still so caught up with the idea of a game with tons of content (levels, guns, etc.) and how super rad cool those levels and maps will be, and overlooks that what really matters is the core gameplay loop.

Daikatana 2

Funny enough if he'd actually called it Daikatana 2 he'd probably get tons of ironic internet donations, although I guess he probably doesn't have the rights.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Romero talks like he isn't two years late to the oldschool shooter party. Funding Blackroom will prove people want old school action back! Unlike WolfTNO, and Shadow Warrior, and Doom 4, and STRAFE, and all of the other dozen throwback shooters in production, which don't count for some reason.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

DStecks posted:

Romero talks like he isn't two years late to the oldschool shooter party. Funding Blackroom will prove people want old school action back! Unlike WolfTNO, and Shadow Warrior, and Doom 4, and STRAFE, and all of the other dozen throwback shooters in production, which don't count for some reason.

But do any of those games have exploration, speed, and INTENSE WEAPONIZED COMBAT?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It's a combat with nails in it.

lmao

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DStecks posted:

what

Seriously you guys, he loving emphasizes "weaponized", like he's saying something really cool or innovative or sensical.

This is coming from somebody who thought, one week ago, "I'd kinda love to see what John Romero would do with a shooter these days." The answer is Daikatana 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wolfenstein TNO sorta put the nail in the coffin for throwback 90s shooter stuff. You'll never top it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Blood Dragon was the best 90s shooter aesthetically because it's what everyone on the 90s wanted the future to look like, please note I know it was not released in the 90s

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wolfenstein TNO sorta put the nail in the coffin for throwback 90s shooter stuff. You'll never top it.

The awful thing is that Romero brags about rocket jumping, when the real gap in the market is for something that goes 100% DOOM and simply does not have aiming on the vertical axis. DOOM is almost not a FPS, when you compare how it actually works as a game to how even WolfTNO works as a game. It's more like a shmup that you play with your face parallel to the screen.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Or maybe all the games that added mouse look aren't fps games did you ever think of that Mr smart guy

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Celluloid Sam posted:

Blood Dragon was the best 90s shooter aesthetically because it's what everyone on the 90s wanted the future to look like, please note I know it was not released in the 90s

Isn't this also Strafe?

When is that getting released?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DStecks posted:

The awful thing is that Romero brags about rocket jumping, when the real gap in the market is for something that goes 100% DOOM and simply does not have aiming on the vertical axis.

Also, as cool as jumping with explosions is, maybe it could be actually refined as a mechanic rather than just trying to advert a clunky old exploit as a "feature"? I mean, at least Tribes: Ascend took skiing and was like "here's a button for this, press it and go super fast", instead of forcing people to gain the execution mastery necessary to duplicate bugs from two decades ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DStecks posted:

STRAFE sucks poo poo though and so do most of the other recent attempts at being an old school shooter. The New Order and Doom 4 don't aim to really capture the old school feel, just to carry on similar storylines of franchises.

One big thing with a lot of the ones that attempt to be "old school shooters" is a heavily reliant on fully or partially randomly generated levels, which often goes really bad. Everything else aside, Romero is a drat good level designer and and Adrian's a really good graphic artist and I think we can at least get them to give us interesting, well-designed levels to play in. And that's important.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DStecks posted:

he's gonna do for old school shooters what the ouya did for COUCH GAMING

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A new project from Romero and Carmack*

no, the other one

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

72k so far. If this gets funded I'll be surprised since most people who remember who John Romero is also probably remember Daikatana.

If I want a 90s shooter I'll go play the rerelease of Strife since you can get it for $5 or so on Steam and it's basically A Doom-era RPG shooter.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fishmech posted:

STRAFE sucks poo poo though

Wow it's pretty incredible that you already know the quality of a game which is months to a year from release. :v:

fishmech posted:

Doom 4 [doesn't] aim to really capture the old school feel

This is objectively incorrect. Whether you believe they are achieving it, it is their stated goal with Doom 4.

DStecks has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Apr 26, 2016

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

A new project from Romero and Carmack*

no, the other one

Honestly if it was the two Johns making a game again, I would kick in money on the condition that they put out a Double Fine style documentary so we can see the sparks fly between them. Toss in American McGee again for good measure, it's not like he's doing anything right now, it could be a repeat of the making of Quake.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Otisburg posted:

he's gonna do for old school shooters what the ouya did for COUCH GAMING

Laughing at it kept me entertained pretty well so there's some merit. There were no couches involved though.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, as cool as jumping with explosions is, maybe it could be actually refined as a mechanic rather than just trying to advert a clunky old exploit as a "feature"? I mean, at least Tribes: Ascend took skiing and was like "here's a button for this, press it and go super fast", instead of forcing people to gain the execution mastery necessary to duplicate bugs from two decades ago.

I remember it being pretty important in the old Marathon games. I never mastered grenade jumping as a kid so i was bad at the games

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don Gato posted:

Honestly if it was the two Johns making a game again, I would kick in money on the condition that they put out a Double Fine style documentary so we can see the sparks fly between them. Toss in American McGee again for good measure, it's not like he's doing anything right now, it could be a repeat of the making of Quake.

Sandy Petersen is busy, though.

shortstop
Jul 23, 2007
Why is John Travolta asking me for money to make his blue video game?

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

stillvisions posted:

And in today's "Indiegogo or infomercial" challenge, there's a campaign for a litter box that reached about 1.5 million.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/luuup-litter-box-the-best-cat-litter-box-ever#/

This has existed for decades now - you could buy them wherever and they still sell boxes like it:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lift-N-Sift-Litter-Tray-System-4-pc-Cats/24553392

Surprise surprise, they don't work as well as advertised, which is why they never really caught on back in the day.

They also already raised CAD1.1mil earlier this year via Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/luuup/luuup-litter-box-the-best-cat-litter-box-ever-made

Why wouldn't you buy something off of Dini Petty tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
romero's post-id output just really goes to show how a team can really be more than the sum of its parts. nobody from id has really done anything hugely mindblowing since disbanding, but together they made a lot of magic.

please dont deliberately misread this to say that former id guys are doing bad work. theres just nothing as game changing or captivating as doom or quake. rage was OK, american mcgee has had some acceptable games, etc. they just dont stand up to what came before.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The secret to id was that 1) they had a team with wild dreamers, 2) who were willing to compromise their dreams because of the technological limitations of the day, 3) they had a legitimately genius programmer on the team, maybe the greatest to ever work in games, 4) at a time when what was possible in PC games was making rapid leaps and bounds, so having a John Carmack on the team meant that they could do things other studios did not have the capability to do, not just to do the same things but prettier; 5) the team as a whole had tastes that aligned with that of the rapidly growing internet community of the early 90's, 6) which nobody else at the time was really serving. DOOM was the right game in the right time in the right place, and id were exactly the people to make it. You can't catch lightning in a bottle like that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DStecks posted:

The secret to id was that 1) they had a team with wild dreamers, 2) who were willing to compromise their dreams because of the technological limitations of the day, 3) they had a legitimately genius programmer on the team, maybe the greatest to ever work in games, 4) at a time when what was possible in PC games was making rapid leaps and bounds, so having a John Carmack on the team meant that they could do things other studios did not have the capability to do, not just to do the same things but prettier; 5) the team as a whole had tastes that aligned with that of the rapidly growing internet community of the early 90's, 6) which nobody else at the time was really serving. DOOM was the right game in the right time in the right place, and id were exactly the people to make it. You can't catch lightning in a bottle like that.

yeah. everyone should read masters of doom if they're interested in the topic.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Someone's trying to take the hemp crusade to new heights:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/worldsfirsthempplane/the-worlds-first-hemp-plane-from-imagination-to-in?ref=nav_search

quote:

The Hemp Plane is not just another plane and no you can't smoke it. You can fly high in the sky with it, though. Hemp is up to 10x stronger than fiberglass and leaves virtually a zero footprint on the environment. Hemp is one of the strongest most durable fibers on earth. With over 25,000 applications it is also one of the most versatile fibers in the world as well.

It sounds like they're simply substituting hemp for fiberglass or carbon for composites. Given what else has been done with hemp, it sounds more or less plausible. Though what is this likely to accomplish? Is the production of fiberglass and carbon fiber that great a threat to the environment? Is there any chance this will change anyone's mind about hemp, given that the only people still calling for continued prohibition are stuck-up shitbags who handwave away logic and reason as mindless liberal idealism?

And someone else is trying

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1642947129/hemphome-tiny?ref=nav_search

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So he's only got the concept art and plot, no alpha bulids or tech demo footage to show off? Has he become an ideas guy?

(I kinda liked Rage though.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Rage I actually rather enjoyed, but getting to the end felt like literally watching the budget dwindle out. "And now the final part of the ga- what, it's over?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Didn't Rage not have any lighting and just textured shadows?