Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mercury Hat posted:

Do you mean the ancient aliens thing? Where the guy used to believe it then gave up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

Thanks for posting this, when I was a kid I totally bought into von Daniken's stuff for a while. It's weird to see all that same stuff being peddled on the history channel, and the commentary on this is interesting too. Who is the guy doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Ancient Aliens hypothesis and it's persistent popularity since the late 60s is an incredible testament to the cultural influence of H. P. Lovecraft. Despite being a hack pulp author who died in relative obscurity Lovecraft has ascended to a position of incredible cultural influence that goes way beyond horror or science fiction.

How many other sci fi ideas from the 1930s are taken seriously today as not just predictions of the future but as a genuine occult history of the past? Obviously most people don't realize that Daniken and his ilk are just ripping off of 'At The Mountains of Madness' but that doesn't make Lovecraft's cultural influence any less impressive.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I named my cat after one of his characters. That's an enduring legacy.

I got a bunch of very angry phone calls when he got out one night and I had to put up "missing cat" flyers.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

The Ancient Aliens hypothesis and it's persistent popularity since the late 60s is an incredible testament to the cultural influence of H. P. Lovecraft. Despite being a hack pulp author who died in relative obscurity Lovecraft has ascended to a position of incredible cultural influence that goes way beyond horror or science fiction.

How many other sci fi ideas from the 1930s are taken seriously today as not just predictions of the future but as a genuine occult history of the past? Obviously most people don't realize that Daniken and his ilk are just ripping off of 'At The Mountains of Madness' but that doesn't make Lovecraft's cultural influence any less impressive.

Not to mention 'walk-ins' with the short story about the body swapping interdimensional aliens. Of course one reason these things culturally resonate is because they have truth.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shbobdb posted:

I got a bunch of very angry phone calls when he got out one night and I had to put up "missing cat" flyers.

...Rats in the Walls cat name? :ohdear:

That's a poor life decision.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Helsing posted:

20 years later, there's Dianetics and the founding of Scientology. Lovecraft could have been even more famous and wildly wealthy if he had bothered to found a religion

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Black Tom isn't that bad

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ashcans posted:

Thanks for posting this, when I was a kid I totally bought into von Daniken's stuff for a while. It's weird to see all that same stuff being peddled on the history channel, and the commentary on this is interesting too. Who is the guy doing it?

The thing to remember is that von Daniken didn't really buy into anything besides pumping up his hotel/travel business, which he ended up leaving when his first books sold wildly well. "Conveniently" enough, many of the locations name-checked in the first book were located near hotels he owned or had relations to for travel.

Then he kept riding the popularity train to the point of opening a tie-in theme park that ended up closing at some point.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I have to say there's something charmingly earnest about someone putting together a youtube documentary that spans more than three hours, cites actual experts, and includes a full sourced website bibliography, all so that he could do a detailed critique of how the TV show 'Ancient Aliens' isn't legitimate scholarship and how, just maybe, the commentators being interviewed are more interested in money than accuracy.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

20 years later, there's Dianetics and the founding of Scientology. Lovecraft could have been even more famous and wildly wealthy if he had bothered to found a religion

There's no organizational structure comparable to the Church of Scientology but quite a few 20th century Occultists have either lifted Lovecraft's ideas wholesale or even tried to argue that Lovecraft's stories contain genuine occult truths about the universe. Lovecraftian spiritualism or religion is a real thing that at least a small handful of weirdos take pretty seriously.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thing about Ancient Aliens debunking is it has so much stuff to work with, because basically everything they say is full of poo poo. And there are 10 loving seasons of the show! They're making an 11th I see from wikipedia!

The worst thing about the show is they don't go "look at this weird thing, maybe it was Aliens!', no, they go " look at this weird thing, no human could have done that, therefor ALIENS!" or my favorite "Well, all these ancient myths are litearlyl true, just people were too stupid to properly describe them, so they used flowerly language to describe things".

I love how they constantly give wrong dates, or just make up ancient myths and translations, or straight up say one thing and show another. Like the video points out that the show has Akkadian Djinn reliefs shown, but then claims they're Annunaki, or the winged sun disk of Zoroastrianism has something to do with them.

Though my favorite thing is the clip showing Childress measuring the block ant Puma Punku and saying "its a perfect square! It could have only been cut with lasers!" and you can very clearly see that, no, it is not perfectly square.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't seen much of it, but my favorite was when they were asking "What else could explain both Vikings and Egyptians having boats as part of their afterlife rituals besides the boats representing interstellar space travel?". You mean besides boats being extremely important to both cultures in life?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is the idea of a boat or a vessel? Something in human cognition sets us apart from the rest of the animals.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

McDowell posted:

What is the idea of a boat or a vessel? Something in human cognition sets us apart from the rest of the animals.

The Maoist gimmick was more entertaining IMO.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

twistedmentat posted:

Though my favorite thing is the clip showing Childress measuring the block ant Puma Punku and saying "its a perfect square! It could have only been cut with lasers!" and you can very clearly see that, no, it is not perfectly square.

Even if it was, it's not like mathematics is some new discovery. Pretty sure you can find perfec*t square and circle stonework that's a few thousand years old in places like Greece and the Middle East.

* or would've been before eroding over time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if it was, it's not like mathematics is some new discovery. Pretty sure you can find perfect* square and circle stonework that's a few thousand years old in places like Greece and the Middle East.

* or would've been before eroding over time.

Clearly, any evidence of 1000+ year old perfect square or circle stonework is evidence of ancient astronauts.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair an ancient stone block that's a perfect square down to the attometer would be a really cool thing to find.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The dumbest thing about ancient aliens is that they just kind of assume that every ancient person alive was a complete dumbass as well as an unwashed barbarian that was barely capable of making shirts or using words. Humans haven't changed all that much in the past 50,000 years and, as stupid as humans can be, we're actually pretty drat clever. It's impressive how much you can accomplish with a few hundred dudes, a pulley, some levers, and some free time.

As for the why, well...who knows? "IT MUST HAVE BEEN ALIENS!!!!" is stupid. It could have been boredom. "Hey dudes we got poo poo all to do all day until harvest time so let's go build a big loving thing." "Yeah Krong, I'm down, let's do this!" It could have been leadership giving people something to do so they didn't cause problems. People with nothing to do all day find things to do and it isn't always good. "Krong, Throk, Dirk...yeah you guys pissed off the gods with your antics last night. You might have hosed up life for everybody! I just got off the horn with Yurki and he says he's right pissed off. If we don't build him a huge monument he says he's going to blow up the world. Yeah, that's right. All of it. You don't want that to happen, do you? No, so build this fucker starting now."

Or, you know, just raw vanity. "Hey I'm in charge here so you're building me a huge loving palace. Deal with it."

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A series about ancient, shoddily constructed monuments called Ancient Failiens. It can start with the collapsed pyramid at Meidum, then move on to, I don't know, Woodhenge.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

As for the why, well...who knows? "IT MUST HAVE BEEN ALIENS!!!!" is stupid. It could have been boredom. "Hey dudes we got poo poo all to do all day until harvest time so let's go build a big loving thing." "Yeah Krong, I'm down, let's do this!" It could have been leadership giving people something to do so they didn't cause problems. People with nothing to do all day find things to do and it isn't always good. "Krong, Throk, Dirk...yeah you guys pissed off the gods with your antics last night. You might have hosed up life for everybody! I just got off the horn with Yurki and he says he's right pissed off. If we don't build him a huge monument he says he's going to blow up the world. Yeah, that's right. All of it. You don't want that to happen, do you? No, so build this fucker starting now."

"Two Stone Age-guys wondering what to do
Who just said: "Dude, let's build a henge or two!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyzgeee2mg

First thing that came to mind.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Also here have some beer so you plebs don't think about why you are working for a king who pretends he's a god

:shepspends:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sharkie posted:

A series about ancient, shoddily constructed monuments called Ancient Failiens. It can start with the collapsed pyramid at Meidum, then move on to, I don't know, Woodhenge.

There's also the Bent Pyramid, where the aliens apparently changed their minds halfway up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It makes a lot of sense that there are so many impressive monuments in Egypt when you realize that with the way the Nile used to flood, entire villages would be underwater for months. You've got all these temporarily homeless farmers standing around, might as well give them something to do.

Also that they weren't built by slaves but by people who got paid and were working in teams that presumably competed against each other. You can only imagine the cross town rivalries for moving giant stone blocks up a ramp.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Clearly, any evidence of 1000+ year old perfect square or circle stonework is evidence of ancient astronauts.

My favorite is stuff like the crystal skulls, where it had to be aliens, because only modern tools could have made this!

And then basic tests show, yep, modern tools did make this, and we also know what quarry it very recently came from.

And then, sadly, the ancient aliens types go all "la la la I can't hear you!" instead of doubling down on the crazy.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Presto posted:

There's also the Bent Pyramid, where the aliens apparently changed their minds halfway up.

And right near there are a few pyramids that appear to be evolving from the stepped style to the more streamlined version. And the quarry where the obelisks were made have many failed projects laying around. Like the main attraction is a giant obelisk that was nearly completed but they had miscalculated early on so there was a massive crack running through it. I guess the aliens liked to work drunk.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 28, 2016

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Helsing posted:

There's no organizational structure comparable to the Church of Scientology but quite a few 20th century Occultists have either lifted Lovecraft's ideas wholesale or even tried to argue that Lovecraft's stories contain genuine occult truths about the universe. Lovecraftian spiritualism or religion is a real thing that at least a small handful of weirdos take pretty seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OMNjrP1Gc

the guy actually had this legally registered as a religious organization and got a tax exemption

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is inherent racism in the Ancient Aliens thing, because it mostly focuses on non-white civilizations. There are things that talk about the Norse and the Greeks, but for some reason most of the focus is on non-whites. I wonder why?

Another great part of Ancient Aliens is the taking of the Vimanika Shastra at complete face value, even though its been known to be a hoax since its inception, like the whole Priory of Zion thing (it was revealed not long after it came to light that the guy who claimed to have discovered it was responsible because he had a fantasy of being the lost King of France). It was known to be a channeled document by some proto-new ager in the 1950s for ever, but these guys just accept it was an actual ancient document.

Though the worst thing about the whole thing is if you straight up call them liars and bullshitters, they will sue your rear end. So critics always have to say "badly researched" or "mistaken" when its really obvious they are lying their rear end off.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
And then you have the von Daniken types who straight up say blacks, native Americans, middle easterners and Asians were the aliens' failed prototypes for white people.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Its ok. Nation of Islam argues the mad scientist Yakub created all the non black races by loving up humans in various ways because he was evil. White devils are his crowning achievement.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All misinformation from the lower forces - who draw on human rivalries and hatred.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Its ok. Nation of Islam argues the mad scientist Yakub created all the non black races by loving up humans in various ways because he was evil. White devils are his crowning achievement.

Yeah but he was a dinosaur. Makes way more sense when you think about it imo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

There is inherent racism in the Ancient Aliens thing, because it mostly focuses on non-white civilizations. There are things that talk about the Norse and the Greeks, but for some reason most of the focus is on non-whites. I wonder why?

Another great part of Ancient Aliens is the taking of the Vimanika Shastra at complete face value, even though its been known to be a hoax since its inception, like the whole Priory of Zion thing (it was revealed not long after it came to light that the guy who claimed to have discovered it was responsible because he had a fantasy of being the lost King of France). It was known to be a channeled document by some proto-new ager in the 1950s for ever, but these guys just accept it was an actual ancient document.

Though the worst thing about the whole thing is if you straight up call them liars and bullshitters, they will sue your rear end. So critics always have to say "badly researched" or "mistaken" when its really obvious they are lying their rear end off.

I don't know, sometimes I think some of them have just replaced God with Aliens as some kind of reason to why humanity is able to do great things without anything special making them or their world important in some sort of cosmic sense. I've seen some casual fans of those types of shows basically say its much more believable that there are aliens doing things than God, although I won't argue that their fixation on certain non white cultures is a little weird now that I think about it. But its still one of the most quasi religious and defeatist ideas of EVERY ACHIEVEMENT OF HUMAN HISTORY WAS CLEARLY THE RESULT OF A GREATER ALIEN INVOLVEMENT BECAUSE. THE EGYPTIANS COULDN'T HAVE THOUGHT UP PYRAMIDS ON THEIR OWN, THAT'S JUST SILLY.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'll go to bat for these dumb fucks and say that they fixate on nonwhite cultures because they seem more "exotic" and "ancient" and "mysterious" than Norway or France, like it's more plausible to them that aliens uplifted Egyptians because they don't know anything about them except that they have pyramids. So it's racism but more noble savage racism than bell curve racism.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
That and to be honest, there are more well known wonders of the world outside of Europe than in it. However, I've never heard them go after the most logical of technological borrowers, Ancient Aliens being involved with the Romans. I mean how else could they have developed a form of concrete that is vastly superior to "modern" mixes by cost of materials, its cooking method leaves less of an environmental footprint and the end results have been proven to last several thousand years?! But then if Greco-Roman culture, the foundation of Western Civilization itself was the noble savage risen up, what does that make us, the idiots who think this garbage up?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crabtree posted:

That and to be honest, there are more well known wonders of the world outside of Europe than in it. However, I've never heard them go after the most logical of technological borrowers, Ancient Aliens being involved with the Romans. I mean how else could they have developed a form of concrete that is vastly superior to "modern" mixes by cost of materials, its cooking method leaves less of an environmental footprint and the end results have been proven to last several thousand years?! But then if Greco-Roman culture, the foundation of Western Civilization itself was the noble savage risen up, what does that make us, the idiots who think this garbage up?

This is wrong; modern mixes include variations on Roman concrete that are basically the same quality (using fly ash instead of volcanic ash). They're all structurally superior to generic concrete, which is weak but also cheap.

I know that you're not arguing against this, but concrete really isn't hard to make

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Roman concrete is like Damascus steel. There might be some better modern options but the stuff was and still is considered extremely high quality and IIRC is largely believed to have been due in part to where the materials were sourced from.

I think Roman concrete also had a lot better resistance to (salt)water erosion than most stuff made today?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Roman concrete is like Damascus steel. There might be some better modern options but the stuff was and still is considered extremely high quality and IIRC is largely believed to have been due in part to where the materials were sourced from.

I think Roman concrete also had a lot better resistance to (salt)water erosion than most stuff made today?

Yes, but only because Roman concrete is more expensive to make than most concrete made today, not because it's Magic Concrete. If Roman concrete (and its kin) cost the same then we'd all just use Roman concrete. Cost is usually the big driver behind a construction project, not "let's make this bridge on the coast last 2000 years"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Romans also used a lot of lovely quality concrete that either didn't survive to today or is only in barely recognizable ruins. Unsurprisingly, we don't talk about that part much.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
9Mothers9horses9eyes9 is great fun for everyone who reads this thread. Its a modern John Titor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

fishmech posted:

The Romans also used a lot of lovely quality concrete that either didn't survive to today or is only in barely recognizable ruins. Unsurprisingly, we don't talk about that part much.

It's the historical filter. Like how people talk about how art was way better back in the day than modern art, ignoring the fact that all the lovely art from the past didn't survive to today.

• Locked thread