Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

I'll try it out, then! When I get a grill pan, anyway.

Echoing what baquerd said about grill pans being gimmicky - they are. Get a Lodge cast iron skillet for $30 on Amazon and cook everything while increasing the amount of surface your food will come in contact with which will increase the amount of browning/maillard reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

extravadanza posted:

I was reading through the crock pot recipe thread and realized my crock pot is a ceramic bowl w/ glass lid that sits in a metal holder that heats up. Why don't manufacturers make a crock pot with an enameled cast iron insert so I can use it in the oven/stovetop as well as in the crock pot heater? Does this product exist?

A crock pot is just a heated tub of stuff, I'm wondering when manufacturers will start sticking in the extra $3 worth of electronics needed to make it an accurately heated tub of stuff and get in on the sous vide thing. Just go a small step beyond lo/med/hi temperature settings and add a thermocouple and digitally settable temperature to turn your product from a dumb cooker to a smart cooker and sell it for $20 more.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

Echoing what baquerd said about grill pans being gimmicky - they are. Get a Lodge cast iron skillet for $30 on Amazon and cook everything while increasing the amount of surface your food will come in contact with which will increase the amount of browning/maillard reactions.

that said, I have a cast iron grill pan thing that covers and securely sits on top of 2 of my gas burners. It's super awesome, flat top on one side, grill on another. It works really well when grillin just isn't gonna work out, or when I need extra surface area.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was under the impression that I should be grilling (high heat?) skirt steak due to it being a leaner cut of meat, and that's how my parents always did it, so I figured that's what I should do. Either way, I'll default to your experience.

As for chicken thighs, I have no idea - everything I see around that covers chicken thighs has it either boneless-skinless or still on the bone. This is the recipe I use for pan-fried chicken thighs. Is this not a good one?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Pollyanna posted:

As for chicken thighs, I have no idea - everything I see around that covers chicken thighs has it either boneless-skinless or still on the bone. This is the recipe I use for pan-fried chicken thighs. Is this not a good one?

Nothing wrong with that technique. I pan fry chicken thighs every week and do much the same. Except I don't bother wrapping the meat in cling film, as I want that skin to dry out which results in a better crisp, same as with any other cut. Also I don't trim away excess fat or use a non-stick, I do bone them out though as bones don't have magical flavour and save them for stock. Unless I want to gnaw bones that is. So it's salt thighs, dry them, heat up a pan, a little drizzle of oil to start, and place the thighs skin side down. The fat renders out of the thighs and so you're cooking them in their own flavour. I tend to grind pepper over them at this point. Wait until the thighs move without sticking and flip them. Again wait until the thighs are no longer sticking, and again it's where I grind pepper. If the skin isn't as crispy as I want I flip them back over. By then the fat from the chicken is generally quite substantial so it's a shallow fry. Temp it with a probe thermometer. If they're not ready, then either into an oven or keep flipping them until done. Thighs are very forgiving. Any other flavours come from herbs stuffed under the skin, a rub on skinless side (so spices don't burn too much as the skin side gets more cooking time generally, exception being blackened chicken), or a sauce of some kind.

Re: Grill pans. I have a long griddle pan that I exclusively use for Grilled Cheese as that's the only time I want the pretty grill marks. Don't care about them otherwise. Steaks go in a cast iron, unless it's charcoal grilling season. Which it is. Finally.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cavenagh posted:

Nothing wrong with that technique. I pan fry chicken thighs every week and do much the same. Except I don't bother wrapping the meat in cling film, as I want that skin to dry out which results in a better crisp, same as with any other cut. Also I don't trim away excess fat or use a non-stick, I do bone them out though as bones don't have magical flavour and save them for stock. Unless I want to gnaw bones that is. So it's salt thighs, dry them, heat up a pan, a little drizzle of oil to start, and place the thighs skin side down. The fat renders out of the thighs and so you're cooking them in their own flavour. I tend to grind pepper over them at this point. Wait until the thighs move without sticking and flip them. Again wait until the thighs are no longer sticking, and again it's where I grind pepper. If the skin isn't as crispy as I want I flip them back over. By then the fat from the chicken is generally quite substantial so it's a shallow fry. Temp it with a probe thermometer. If they're not ready, then either into an oven or keep flipping them until done. Thighs are very forgiving. Any other flavours come from herbs stuffed under the skin, a rub on skinless side (so spices don't burn too much as the skin side gets more cooking time generally, exception being blackened chicken), or a sauce of some kind.

Re: Grill pans. I have a long griddle pan that I exclusively use for Grilled Cheese as that's the only time I want the pretty grill marks. Don't care about them otherwise. Steaks go in a cast iron, unless it's charcoal grilling season. Which it is. Finally.

Sweet, thanks for the info! That's very similar to my process, though I buy boneless-skinless because I'm lazy and don't feel like deboning chicken thighs. I never felt like I was getting a bad result from pan-frying/sauteeing chicken thigh, just wasn't sure if it's what I'm "supposed" to do. I'll probably look into spices and rubs for the thighs from now on, I think that will help make them tastier.

A lot of cooking videos have people using stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick ones. Is that mainly just so you don't have to worry about setting them on high heat, or is there something related to fond/juices with regards to non-stick pans? I want to make this one-pot pasta recipe, but it uses a stainless steel pan, and I'm wondering if that's a problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxysE5M2GOw

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Sweet, thanks for the info! That's very similar to my process, though I buy boneless-skinless because I'm lazy and don't feel like deboning chicken thighs. I never felt like I was getting a bad result from pan-frying/sauteeing chicken thigh, just wasn't sure if it's what I'm "supposed" to do. I'll probably look into spices and rubs for the thighs from now on, I think that will help make them tastier.

A lot of cooking videos have people using stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick ones. Is that mainly just so you don't have to worry about setting them on high heat, or is there something related to fond/juices with regards to non-stick pans? I want to make this one-pot pasta recipe, but it uses a stainless steel pan, and I'm wondering if that's a problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxysE5M2GOw

It wouldn't be a problem but holy poo poo this whole gimmicky one-pot pasta thing needs to go away already. I'm not sure if my opinion is going to be unpopular here but there is no reason to lose precise control over the cooking of the pasta (by having it in it's own pot) just to have it in the same container as the other ingredients. If you want to flavor your pasta you can do that with stock and still get perfect pasta when you rehydrate it at the end with the sauce.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Velocibacon the one pot pasta thing is great when you want starch in your sauce. Cacio e Pepe is beautiful and is wasted on multipot dishes. Also ease of use is amazing and cocky people will always trust themselves to do difficult things well

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

It wouldn't be a problem but holy poo poo this whole gimmicky one-pot pasta thing needs to go away already. I'm not sure if my opinion is going to be unpopular here but there is no reason to lose precise control over the cooking of the pasta (by having it in it's own pot) just to have it in the same container as the other ingredients. If you want to flavor your pasta you can do that with stock and still get perfect pasta when you rehydrate it at the end with the sauce.

I don't get it, what is your issue with that method? It looks like the pasta finishes cooking just as the liquid has reduced enough to create a beautifully cohesive sauce. The starch the pasta gave up also helps it to coat everything fully and evenly. It's not like it's one of those Hamburger Helper 1-pot bullshit e-z dishes, it's a method that seems to be both easier and more effective than cooking the pasta separately. The only downside would be to add too much water so that the pasta is overdone before it's reduced all the way. Better to err on the side of a bit too little water and add more to thin it out if necessary.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The pasta might be somewhat overcooked, but the end result is homemade hamburger helper so w/e

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

VelociBacon posted:

Nothing wrong with single pan pasta. Didn't watch the vid, and maybe they did it wrong, but the stuff you 'know' about pasta is probably wrong anyways.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If one-pot hamburger helper is the price I pay to be cooking for myself instead of snacking on 7/11 poo poo for sustenance, then bring on the helper :colbert:

There's nothing wrong with the technique in the video, and I trust that channel to know what it's doing. My question wasn't about the video, anyway - it was whether it's critical to have stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick, because I don't wanna spend more money than I have to.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah you should get stainless. One smaller nonstick for eggs, then a stainless stock pot, saucepan and skillet is enough for most people. Add a cast iron skillet and you're really in business. Nonstick is trash for cooking most things.

Edit: the list in the op is a pretty good breakdown of what you need, and the fundamentals haven't changed at all since it was written.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 26, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I thought that video sounded familiar...that guy has a very distinct cadence. In some other thread this recipe for bagna cauda was posted. I don't know what's up with him but he's somewhere between cringey and amusing. The bagna cauda looks good, though. So does the posted video for orrechiette.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Pollyanna posted:

If one-pot hamburger helper is the price I pay to be cooking for myself instead of snacking on 7/11 poo poo for sustenance, then bring on the helper :colbert:

There's nothing wrong with the technique in the video, and I trust that channel to know what it's doing. My question wasn't about the video, anyway - it was whether it's critical to have stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick, because I don't wanna spend more money than I have to.

You will not get delicious delicious fond, get you a decent stainless or carbon steel skillet.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

deimos posted:

You will not get delicious delicious fond, get you a decent stainless or carbon steel skillet.

Carbon steel skillets are a thing? I'd assume they'd rust like a bastard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You season them like cast iron.

I've been using one for a few months and I actually like it more than my cast iron. It's thin enough that it can get hotter and stay hotter during a searing session because it's letting more heat through.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll look into getting stainless steel pans - I guess it's about time I invested in some.

I made some chicken curry today, with onions, coconut milk, curry powder, and crushed tomatoes :) It came out really well, and was a hit at dinner! I took the recipe from Mark Bittman's Mini Minimalist, and I'm really happy with it. I'm definitely making it again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hell just save up and buy this. If you treat it right it could last a lifetime. The D5 is better but not at all worth the price difference unless you get like a really sweet bonus (which is exactly how I bought mine and have never regretted it).
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Tri-Ply-Dishwasher-Cookware/dp/B00FUF5K8W

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I'll look into getting stainless steel pans - I guess it's about time I invested in some.

I made some chicken curry today, with onions, coconut milk, curry powder, and crushed tomatoes :) It came out really well, and was a hit at dinner! I took the recipe from Mark Bittman's Mini Minimalist, and I'm really happy with it. I'm definitely making it again.

Oh, another great one to have is an enameled dutch oven, Lodge makes a nice one for the price. For this sort of one pot dishes it's a much better investment IMHO.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Hell just save up and buy this. If you treat it right it could last a lifetime. The D5 is better but not at all worth the price difference unless you get like a really sweet bonus (which is exactly how I bought mine and have never regretted it).
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Tri-Ply-Dishwasher-Cookware/dp/B00FUF5K8W

Another way to get a nice discount on an All-Clad or other top-notch stainless pan is to scour your local TJ Maxx/Marshalls. It's still not cheap, but it's definitely less expensive than if you were to buy that stuff at a department store or at most places online (sometimes even cheaper than Amazon).

They also have Le Creuset stuff sometimes, which is nice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Didn't find any of those, it's mostly all Calphalon and Cuisinart.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those are fine. I prefer the handles so I can hang them on hooks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Calphalon hangs on hooks, and I prefer them just because I don't like All-Clad's canoe handles

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

You season them like cast iron.

I've been using one for a few months and I actually like it more than my cast iron. It's thin enough that it can get hotter and stay hotter during a searing session because it's letting more heat through.

Also lighter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
All Clad supersale on Amazon right now:
http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stai...s=all+clad+4112

They're even cheaper than you can find them at discount stores

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Picked up one of these Calphalon sautee/saucepans for $25 at Marshalls. Decent deal. I'm gonna try cooking some leeks and chicken thighs in it :dance:

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
This might be a silly question for this thread, but my microwave just broke this morning. Any recommendations for another one?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Amara posted:

This might be a silly question for this thread, but my microwave just broke this morning. Any recommendations for another one?

Whatever you get make it a Panasonic (or does anyone else make Inverters?) Inverter, so much better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Amara posted:

I keep buying used ones for $25 or less, seems like the easiest way to go.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
At the very least, get one that does 1000w

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

deimos posted:

Whatever you get make it a Panasonic (or does anyone else make Inverters?) Inverter, so much better.

I'll second this recommendation.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
What's an Inverter? Also, I unplugged it and let it rest for a few hours and plugged it back in and it magically worked again. So as long as my apartment isn't going to burn down, I'm actually looking much more slowly and have time to compare models.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Amara posted:

What's an Inverter? Also, I unplugged it and let it rest for a few hours and plugged it back in and it magically worked again. So as long as my apartment isn't going to burn down, I'm actually looking much more slowly and have time to compare models.

Inverter microwaves can actually lower the intensity of the microwave beams instead of simply cycling on/off, they are shitloads better at... well everything, except overcooking food.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm in the market for a new grill, since our old one busted at the end of last summer. We have a natural gas hookup at our new house, which is great if I want to just throw 2 hamburgers on quickly for me and the wife, but I'd also like to start experimenting with charcoal for some longer-cooking applications, especially when needing to utilize dying embers or indirect heat. Is there such a thing as a hybrid grill that can use either/or? If so are they any good? Or am I better off just getting a nice gas grill, and then buy a cheap kettle grill for when I want to experiment?

Here's our old grill, which served us well, functionality and size-wise, for 10+ years: http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/3200

(I looked for a grilling thread, but didn't see one. Let me know if I'm in the wrong place.)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

I'm in the market for a new grill, since our old one busted at the end of last summer. We have a natural gas hookup at our new house, which is great if I want to just throw 2 hamburgers on quickly for me and the wife, but I'd also like to start experimenting with charcoal for some longer-cooking applications, especially when needing to utilize dying embers or indirect heat. Is there such a thing as a hybrid grill that can use either/or? If so are they any good? Or am I better off just getting a nice gas grill, and then buy a cheap kettle grill for when I want to experiment?

Here's our old grill, which served us well, functionality and size-wise, for 10+ years: http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/3200

(I looked for a grilling thread, but didn't see one. Let me know if I'm in the wrong place.)

There is some grilling talk in the meat smoking thread.

Short answer is there isn't a combo that does both very well and you are going to pay a premium for one.

Best cheap solution would be to just get a weber kettle and a dedicated gasser. You could also look into a performer deluxe kettle that has propane start as it's ready to cook in about the time it takes a gas grill to preheat. You can also buy smoker kits for your kettle or use bricks and aluminum foil to make a ghetto smoker.

Personally I trolled craigslist and bought a used genesis for $125, a used performer for $95 and a weber smokey mountain smoker on clearance for $200 and for the cost of one new grill have dedicated cooker for anything i want to do. Used genesis grills with gas hookups go for stupid cheap on craigslist. You could also go with a big green egg, a few posters in the smoking thread have gotten them for around $500 used and they are pretty flexible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs? Assume that it fits my budget, and that I want to grill/roast more than I want to smoke, but I still want to be able to smoke decently.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://seriousbirder.com/blogs/big-green-egg-vs-kamado-joe-side-by-side-comparison/

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134804/bge-vs-kamado-joe

Get a Kamodo Joe, pocket a few hundred

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs? Assume that it fits my budget, and that I want to grill/roast more than I want to smoke, but I still want to be able to smoke decently.

They are great, you won't regret it. You can obviously geek & kit out as much as you want. I have an XL and augmented it with a lot of stuff from Ceramic Grill Store. Although it seems like they have some goofy new CMS that killed my links on their site I purchased:
  • XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo (comes with 17.5" round stone). The Woo brings the grill up an inch or two to the felt line and in lieu of the BGE-brand plate setter, lets me drop in the round stone for indirect cooking. The Adjustable rig lets me go from just the one grill level to up to 3 levels for smoking lots of stuff (like 6 racks of lying-down ribs).
  • 18" Drip Pan SS Round - XL, 19". Can use this to cover the stone, but I generally just foil it for shorter cooks.
  • Their ash tool. (TEX-AT) I'm sure the BGE ash tool would be fine if your dealer throws it in
  • 19" Half Round Ceramic Stone (9.5"x19") - XL. I use this to force a direct and indirect side of the grill for cooking steaks. Some people use the reverse sear (cook low until done, take meat off, open up the vents and put meat back on to sear & finish).
  • BBQ Guru ceramic adaptor. This is an aparatus for controlling airflow with a damper for really long cooks.

The ceramic adaptor you can either buy one of the turnkey temperature controllers or use forums user Capn Bry's excellent Heatermeter and a remote damper from the fine folks at TVWBB's forums to do set-and-forget BBQ. I use the Roto damper for long cooks. The former you to reverse proxy your meat progress so you can embed your meat progress into your BBQ invites for your guests:

That XL cooks 20 hours without me really futzing with it at all after I close the lid the first time.

More info in the smoking thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Grilldome is another ceramic which is quite nice