Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am not fond of this fact either. Vriska really, really does not deserve to be the rock upon which the foundation of victory is built upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think the most generous way you could spin it is that it's really john/terezi fixing everything by saving vriska in the first place
still though

i mean, this is better then nothing, i guess? but one last hurrah from the whole music team would be nice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The ending is really very Vriska friendly, though to an extent Hussie was stuck because his narrative had John make one change (two, if you include breaking up Terezi/Gamzee) and had to show how that fixes everything. Further it had to involve a choice that Terezi made, which constrains things further.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
i miss the good old days when vriska was a good character, and not a boring one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Fangz posted:

The ending is really very Vriska friendly, though to an extent Hussie was stuck because his narrative had John make one change (two, if you include breaking up Terezi/Gamzee) and had to show how that fixes everything. Further it had to involve a choice that Terezi made, which constrains things further.

John's various bullshit puzzle tricks Terezi had him do could have all added up to convincing Terezi all on her own that she doesn't have to kill Vriska, that killing her reflects some unreasonable anger. This is enough to prompt a change in herself - she no longer is depressed and a mess and can actually do stuff to help - which would be sufficient to make a difference without it being Vriska Fixes Everything By Being A Bad Bitch.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Serket Rankings, In Order:

1) Pre-Retcon Vriska, up to and including in the bubbles with Beta John (Also the best character in Homestuck)
2) You may call me Mindfang Aranea
3) Fatalistic Ghost Captain Vriska
4) Mindfang
5) Kindfang
6) (Vriska)
7) Fat Vriska
8) Post-Retcon Vriska

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mme. Serket's a shining example of why fictional characters actually do need arcs, because after her second resurrection or so most readers were just desperately trying to make sense of what the gently caress Hussie wanted to do with her. That's what Vriskatime really was underneath it all, the perpetual question of "what is this character's POINT"

Turns out she learned nothing and died her way to success. Five years well spent.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Remember how the pre-climax was Vriska, Known and Total Fuckup, saying exactly how the story was going to resolve itself...and then it did?

Good good good storytelling there. Just the absolute best example of storytelling, understanding character theming, writing, motivations. Just a triumph in the form of narrative unfolding.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Remember how the pre-climax was Vriska, Known and Total Fuckup, saying exactly how the story was going to resolve itself...and then it did?

Good good good storytelling there. Just the absolute best example of storytelling, understanding character theming, writing, motivations. Just a triumph in the form of narrative unfolding.

I was so excited just to have Vriska back, but it turns out she was now bad. I have new empathy for Meenah, who had to choose between the two worst Vriskas.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

John's various bullshit puzzle tricks Terezi had him do could have all added up to convincing Terezi all on her own that she doesn't have to kill Vriska, that killing her reflects some unreasonable anger. This is enough to prompt a change in herself - she no longer is depressed and a mess and can actually do stuff to help - which would be sufficient to make a difference without it being Vriska Fixes Everything By Being A Bad Bitch.

I thought it was established that Vriska didn't fix much of anything. It was Terezi being more with it that was the main difference. She rejected Dave and Karkat so they weren't fighting over her. She didn't get into the toxic relationship with Gamzee so Rose wasn't depressed about her lack of intervention. Vriska's survival was just a symptom of the changes Terezi had made to herself. At most she meddled with Rose a bit and helped her with her alcoholism, but she seemed to mainly credit Kanaya with that one.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

I thought it was established that Vriska didn't fix much of anything. It was Terezi being more with it that was the main difference. She rejected Dave and Karkat so they weren't fighting over her. She didn't get into the toxic relationship with Gamzee so Rose wasn't depressed about her lack of intervention. Vriska's survival was just a symptom of the changes Terezi had made to herself. At most she meddled with Rose a bit and helped her with her alcoholism, but she seemed to mainly credit Kanaya with that one.

Yeah, I thought that was sort of the point of post-retcon Vriska, and the more interesting facets of her character were elsewhere in the story. Like we've been over with other characters, you get a better idea of her if you take all the different versions of her as a whole, rather than looking at where she ended up linearly.

I mean the ending was certainly a 'victory' for her in that she got to do her awesome thing vs LE like she wanted, but for the overall impression of her as a character, the rest of her work in the story was a lot more interesting. I thought the irony there was amusing, whether it was intentional or not. I feel like she also wound up as kind of a tragic character in that she could never find a way to overcome her hubris in any timeline. The one time she did ((Vriska)) she still became a victim of her own self, and even her 'victory' results in her sacrificing herself and leaving her moirail behind.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
homestuck was actually all in john's mind, as he is rendered comatose after being hit by a car on his thirteenth birthday. john opening the door and moving on to the next universe represents him dying

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

homestuck was actually all in john's mind, as he is rendered comatose after being hit by a car on his thirteenth birthday. john opening the door and moving on to the next universe represents him dying

what if the webcomic homestuck, and by extension, this thread is all just an illusion in our collective dying minds?

how many layers deep can it go ... ?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually im dead and this thread is my ironic hell

im just too hosed up for it to hurt any more :madmax:

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Tollymain posted:

actually im dead and this thread is my ironic hell

im just too hosed up for it to hurt any more :madmax:

hell,

same

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

what if the webcomic homestuck, and by extension, this thread is all just an illusion in our collective dying minds?

how many layers deep can it go ... ?

if i was gonna have a dying guy illusion, i'd personally illude that i was actually IN homestuck, making the comic end good

AfroKen
Dec 3, 2015
It's really hard to imagine Hussie wanted Homestuck to end this way, at least if we're comparing it to Problem Sleuth with it's perfectly wrapped-up ending. But then you remember that Problem Sleuth wasn't capable of generating millions of dollars. To call Hussie a sell-out seems awfully judgmental, but let's face the facts, if you have to put a price on your artistic integrity, a few million is a good figure. That'd give the guy the freedom to settle down, have a few kids, and actually get to be there for their upbringing without having to worry about working for a paycheck.

Or maybe I'm just saying that because Act 7 was a bitter disappointment (albeit technically impressive, and well-polished, not what I'd call bad...in the same sense that I wouldn't say Zelda Twilight Princess is a bad game, even though I personally thought it was crappy) and the epilogue (the one which is supposed to bring Homestuck's ending up to par with Problem Sleuth's) might not ever come. Hiveswap seems to be the biggest priority for now, and weren't they saying that it was going to be a saga spanning multiple games? That's what they originally planned for Xenogears too :cripes:

If Homestuck mutated into something radically different from Hussie's initial vision, the proper thing would be to admit it grew out of control, sweep it under the rug, and move on to a more manageable project. But good luck doing that when you can have "Homestuck 2.0," whatever THAT is, paying dividends decades after AIM and Flash have been declared obsolete.

Perhaps more than anything else (even an epilogue) I'd just like Hussie to come clean with how the finished product differs from his original plans for Homestuck. It seems "obvious" that aspects like Cronus the Greaserkin PUA troll alien dirtbag and "Davepetasprite^2" are a combination of pandering to a certain audience while also having fun improvising with the in-universe constructs, but other post-act 5 aspects could go either way (Caliborn and Calliope, Gamzee managing to become a primary antagonist by loving around, the whole universe-destroying snake mating dance, probably other crap too like the Retcon ability) Hussie's so enigmatic that I wouldn't ever expect an answer, much less a straight one, but us die-hard obsessive fans can't help but wonder.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm still fairly sure that "Homestuck 2.0" just means "Hussie's next big project", rather than something directly connected to Homestuck.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
i still need to get around to reading problem sleuth someday

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Many Homeheads (slang for homestuck fan) have different opinion on when Homestuck became Homeshit. Some Homeheads say it was when the trolls were introduced others, say it's when the post scratch kids were introduced. But by the time the elephant sized piece of rotten poo poo called "act 7" rolled around all Homeheads agreed that it had become Homeshit at that point.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, no one EVER shows a montage execution of a plan! That would be stupid, and not at all a thing you see in movies all the drat time!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Keiya posted:

Yeah, no one EVER shows a montage execution of a plan! That would be stupid, and not at all a thing you see in movies all the drat time!

If you can give me three examples of someone explaining a plan in advance and then said plan going off, as explained, without a hitch, I'd be impressed and saddened.

Some cliches exist for a reason and "things never go according to plan" is one of them, the inverse is rarely done because it means you've just deflated the tension from what's supposed to be a climactic point of your stories.

e: even more so when the mastermind is Vriska, someone whose schemes have a long and storied reputation of blowing up in her face, sometimes literally.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 27, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Keiya posted:

That is not a thing you ever see in movies. At least, not good ones. As a matter of fact, a movie truism is "Never tell the audience the same information twice". See also: Every heist movie ever made, which sometime in the first act has the main character describing exactly how the plan will go off under perfect conditions, usually via montage, and that same movie's climax, in which the heist goes wrong either from within, without, or was engineered to fail to reveal the secondary, larger heist that was never told to the audience.

You could not be more hilariously, laughably off base if you tried. That's the whole point of moviemaking and, really, all media: revealing a plan before a climax and then having that climax go perfectly according to plan removes all stakes or weight from the climax and bores the audience, because you're telling them things they already know. As shown by Act 7 being predictable, pointless garbage because, among everything else it did wrong (which was literally everything else) it ended up telling everyone what they already knew was going to happen.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 27, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You seem to be under the impression that Collide was the story's climax, despite coming after the denouement.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yes, that certainly is a meme people have clung to so that they could excuse a sloppy finale.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hussie once considered the end of act 5 to be the story's climax. The idea of the actual events being wrapped up in the ending has been around since 2011. Obviously goalposts have shifted since then, but it's hardly a sudden justification.

Why are you so sure this is the climax when you've been arguing about how it doesn't work as a climax?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Are you seriously arguing, are you seriously unironically arguing, that the confrontation against Lord English is not the climax of Homestuck?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Hussie once considered the end of act 5 to be the story's climax. The idea of the actual events being wrapped up in the ending has been around since 2011. Obviously goalposts have shifted since then, but it's hardly a sudden justification.

Why are you so sure this is the climax when you've been arguing about how it doesn't work as a climax?

Because, as I said before, I'm willing to let something be bad. Rather than creating lengthy, tortured justifications for why a bloated, distracted, overlong piece of work riddled with lengthy pauses collapsed on itself when it came time to wrap everything up, I'm comfortable just saying it messed up in very ordinary, traditional ways.

Homestuck was remarkable in its presentation and ambition, but mundane in its failure.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
toxxupation why do you do this to yourself

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Are you seriously arguing, are you seriously unironically arguing, that the confrontation against Lord English is not the climax of Homestuck?

He wasn't even taken down during the comic. If his defeat was the climax, it didn't have a climax at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

He wasn't even taken down during the comic. If his defeat was the climax, it didn't have a climax at all.

How about that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

get 'em, t/oxx

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems pretty obvious at this point that the defeat of Lord English was not the climax.

Where the climax was or if there was one is something I could not immediately answer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's a failure of execution, not of intention. Intentionally speaking, the Lord English fight was absolutely supposed to be the climax of years of storytelling, not "Vriska opens a box that she said she would open years beforehand, some light spills out, and Everybody Wins".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Toxxupation posted:

That's a failure of execution, not of intention. Intentionally speaking, the Lord English fight was absolutely supposed to be the climax of years of storytelling, not "Vriska opens a box that she said she would open years beforehand, some light spills out, and Everybody Wins".

I am not at all certain of that!

To be fair I have no idea what it was supposed to be, but Hussie has demonstrated enough skill at storytelling that I'm going to assume he was aiming for something interesting, even if it flopped and I don't get it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Why does this one poster, the one with all the x-es in the username, keep making two variations on the same angry post?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Oxxidation posted:

If you can give me three examples of someone explaining a plan in advance and then said plan going off, as explained, without a hitch, I'd be impressed and saddened.

• Star Wars
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Sherlock Holmes

*shrug*

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Why does this one poster, the one with all the x-es in the username, keep making two variations on the same angry post?

truly a question for the ages

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I Am Goon and must Hoot Forlornly at the Bottom of this Miserable Well about My Opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

• Star Wars

I don't know if Star Wars really works, as there's lots of complications in the Rebel's plans, in the form of Darth Vader, also the targeting computer not working and Luke realizing he has to disregard it and trust the Force.