Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Anyway the bow worked but even 1v1 they're owning my poo poo. This is gonna take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

I didn't get Boulder heave as I'm a knight and wanted the other thing which I think was FUGS?

Nah, you get the FUGS for beating whathisname in the smoldering like ruins for the second time.

The alternative is the demon axe I think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Couldn't you just lure both rat dogs to the ladder, then spam boulder heave from the top to kill them? I didn't try it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

dunno about that but you can just pull one with a bow and kill it in the little boxed off area the ladder is in, so as not to wake up the other one. they aren't so bad 1v1, but I won't say I didn't run the hell away when I accidentally set both off at once the first time I went down there

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Is there any way to stop that insta kill attack where you get snapped up in their jaws?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Babe Magnet posted:

Nah, you get the FUGS for beating whathisname in the smoldering like ruins for the second time.

The alternative is the demon axe I think.

The Stray Demon soul gives you Boulder Heave or Havel's Ring.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How come I used to be able to summon up to 3 phantoms of different types to fight club and now I can only do one?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

JetsGuy posted:

Is there any way to stop that insta kill attack where you get snapped up in their jaws?

Try rolling

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

JetsGuy posted:

Nailing them in he nose a few times opens them up for a visceral. The key seems to be not getting too scared of staying in front of them. And of course, rolling well

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Got em. It's nice that they don't respawn.

NTT posted:

Try rolling

lol thanks but I was doing that and they snapped me up anyway.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

How come I used to be able to summon up to 3 phantoms of different types to fight club and now I can only do one?

Use a Dried Finger.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So after like 20 attempts and countless summons, me and a fat Solaire cosplayer took it to the nameless king and fuckin wrecked him. And not a moment too soon; I was getting so sick of that fight.
PRAISE THE GODDAMN SUN

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

lol thanks but I was doing that and they snapped me up anyway.

roll better

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I used a bow both times to pull the visible one, then the one around the corner to the left. Both times after Cinder.

First time was with a FUGS, 3 hits each I think. Second time was with chaos fire orbs. I was L80-L89 both times

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Brannock posted:

Use a Dried Finger.

No, I used to be able to walk out and summon 3 of any of the signs outside Pontiff. Now the rest all disappear after I summon 1. I never used a finger

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

you beat the boss

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Shout out to that one person who invaded me in Cathedral of the Deep and used a separation crystal because I was winning. I'm not sure I've ever had that happen before, honestly.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Have more HP

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i invaded a killed a person named 0 deaths run.... >:)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are the carthus rolling rings a trap? Any time I get hit I take huge damage and I can't quite tell how much I'm benefiting.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Someone datamined one of the dlc bosses

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

you beat the boss

he wouldn't be able to summon anyone at all if he did that, but he can still summon one guy so :shrug: I remember abyss watchers only letting me summon one guy. after one, the rest just disappeared

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GulagDolls posted:

i invaded a killed a person named 0 deaths run.... >:)

Why the hell would someone play in online mode if they were doing a no-deaths run :psyduck:

TheHoosier posted:

Someone datamined one of the dlc bosses

I will always love how easy the fextralife wiki is to vandalize

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Slanderer posted:

Have more HP

Honestly with 22 vigor I've been fine with HP really recently. So...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Matt Melvin Dongers Man is the furtive pygmy you guys all the lore makes total sense

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Emalde posted:

The irony of statements like these is palpable. :v:

The host has enormous advantages so not really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As they should lol, you're shoving your rear end into their game world

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mastershakeman posted:

Are the carthus rolling rings a trap? Any time I get hit I take huge damage and I can't quite tell how much I'm benefiting.
carthus blood ring changes your rolls from 14/9(invulnerable/vulnerable frames) to :siren: 19/4 :siren:(aka more than halving your vulnerable frames on roll), and only makes you take 15% more damage. it's super worth it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there ever a reason to make a weapon Sharp?

That seems like a silly question I realize, because the answer sounds like it should be "if you're running a Dex build with low Strength, duh." But I'm not so sure. Looking at most weapons, Sharp has the same letter for Dex scaling as Refined does, and much lower Strength scaling with only a little bit higher base damage. I know the letters are a range, but I can't imagine that a Sharp Longsword's B Dex scaling is meaningfully better than a Refined Longsword's B Dex scaling.

I really want to test it but I don't want to burn all my respecs quite yet. If I go, like, 16 Strength/40 Dex, I have a suspicion that Refined might still beat Sharp with most weapons.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Honestly with 22 vigor I've been fine with HP really recently. So...

With some of the bosses with big insta-kill attacks or multi-hit combos (almost all of which feel like bullshit and actively make the game worse), it can be enough to ember yourself and wear a life+ ring.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Any time you get hit in this game you take huge damage no matter what. The ring makes little difference while giving you a brokenly overpowered amount of extra iframes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Both Carthus rings are very good. The Bloodring increases the number of frames during your roll that you're invincible and then reduces your recovery frames by a ton, meaning that as long as you keep rolling you're basically only vulnerable for like 4 frames at a time. It's extremely good.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ugh. almost beat the Catacombs boss on the first shot. But then I got stuck inside his forearm somehow going for the finish and welp guess I can't avoid his highly telegraphed big attack :downs:

Still, such circumstances gives me confidence in soloing this guy.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

i just dont think that people should be able to summon an infinite amount of phantoms

so you wanna fight me..well lets see if you can beat everyone else in the game first!

e: like this is straight up dumb af https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7i71m-Q3g

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

Why the hell would someone play in online mode if they were doing a no-deaths run :psyduck:

I will always love how easy the fextralife wiki is to vandalize

It makes me sad that the fextralife wiki seems to have become the primary one, because the wikidot one loads way faster and has less garbage cluttering it up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Brannock posted:

It makes me sad that the fextralife wiki seems to have become the primary one, because the wikidot one loads way faster and has less garbage cluttering it up.

Yeah I always used wikidot for the other Souls games, it's a shame the DS3 one is still missing so much info.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Harrow posted:

Both Carthus rings are very good. The Bloodring increases the number of frames during your roll that you're invincible and then reduces your recovery frames by a ton, meaning that as long as you keep rolling you're basically only vulnerable for like 4 frames at a time. It's extremely good.

What about milkring for pve? Does obscuring matter?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

for pve it doesn't matter, no. The extra 3 points of dex (I think its 3) can be nice if you're juuuust under the amount you need to use a specific weapon and don't want to invest in it for some reason

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow even at SL 64 I couldn't kill the Old Demon King fast enough to keep Cuculus alive. That set is going to be a pain in the rear end to get.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Thanks for the folks earlier who gave the tweaking advice, but unfortunately no dice. I'm still not displaying item drops/fire/bloodstains and messages at all.

I'll keep asking around in other places but since AMD doesn't support my GPU anymore, looks like I'm poo poo out of luck. :smith:

But look on the bright side~! I don't think I"ve missed out on any significant items yet because I'm smart enough to run up and see if a corpse has items on it. Where items are in the game world are telegraphed pretty well, too, and there are still light effects so I can see where item drops are, dragon's fire is/etc. I'll just treat it like hard mode :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

They should have some advantages, not all of them. Being able to summon an infinite chain of phantoms is a bit much and makes the danger element of becoming a host of embers pretty much moot.