Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pontiff is an easy boss, even without a shield. He's just frankly more annoying then because of how he's able to pull out 3-frame attacks at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bewilderment posted:

People in this thread were talking about Pontiff Sulyvahn as if he's a super hard Artorias-like boss but he's actually super easy most of the time? I beat him solo and unembered on my second try.

1. Equip good shield with 100% phys resist and decent fire resist. I picked up a Lothric Knight Shield and upgraded it to +3 for kicks, but anything will probably do.
2. Buff your weapon if you feel like it.
3. Run towards him. Block or dodge out of the way of his first attack and don't get hit by it like I did both times.
4. Keep your shield up and circle around him anticlockwise like you're playing Dark Souls 1. Take minor chip damage from fire.
5. Hit him once or twice after he swings.
6. Run away a little bit when he's doing his phase two transformation.
7. When he starts summoning a phantom, mash R1 on him.
Repeat steps 4 and 5, and 7 as appropriate, until you win.

That's it, that's all it takes.
I keep trying to sunbro for him and running into hosts summoning three phantoms, which on PS4 is awful because the particle effects everywhere means that everyone gets slowdown and gets taken out and Sully ends up with a ridiculous amount of health. He's literally easier either solo or with a single ally.

Easy fight,

1. Be a Pyromancer.
2. Summon 3 phantoms on the PC.
3. Sit back.
4. throw chaos fire balls.
5. chug estus.
6. throw more chaos fire balls.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any reason to clear out the triple hippo hand room in Profaned Capital? Cause out of all the enemies in the game, they are the only ones I really can't stand fighting.

If you throw a kukri into them when they rear up to grab you they'll fall on their rear end and be open for a visceral attack.

I don't remember what's in that room though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Friend posted:

If you throw a kukri into them when they rear up to grab you they'll fall on their rear end and be open for a visceral attack.

Also super weak to bleeding.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

I imagine the intended way for this is to get invaded by Yellowfinger on the Road of Sacrifice, join the Fingers in the Cathedral, and then head on over to Farron Keep and pick her up as a summon. Still obtuse but it makes more sense that way,

There are two spots you can be invaded by Yellowfinger that I know of, and you can trigger both in the same playthrough. The first is on the Road of Sacrifice before the ladder to descend down to the poison swamp. You fight her here and get her amazing hat. The second one is after the 3rd candle (if you're doing them in order) that's guarded by a couple of elder ghru. Go down the stairs beyond the candle and she'll invade. That's when you get her pick/catalyst. I think both are cancelled by completing AW without defeating her. I'm not sure if the Crucifixion is also cancelled by completing the Sage fight.

I think this has been mentioned, but there are some silly goodies you can get before the AW fight. Summon Pale Shade NPC phantom by the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire for a gesture. You can also summon Black Hand Gotthard, whose summon sign is near the AW fog door, for another gesture. I don't know if there are any benefits to keeping them alive through the AW fight. I found NPC summon Sirris to be a better ally in that encounter.

Related... It seems like there are 3 separate possible Tsorig fights? Two in the catacombs, one down by the lava in the demon ruins. In the last one, he's not a phantom--he's real. I think if you defeat him here before you defeat the Old Demon King, you won't be able to summon Tsorig for the ODK fight. I found this fight quite difficult at SL 27 and ended up cheesing it by kiting the black knight down the stairs to meet him. They had a grand old time and I stabbed the victor to death. It was a very close match between them, so clean up was simple. If you missed the previous fights, you'll get all his equipment. Since I died the first time, I received his gesture. I don't know if you will receive it upon defeating him here if you didn't defeat him previously.

And to get Cornyx's set, if no one's mentioned this... Summon Great Swamp Cuculus, whose summon sign is around the base of the stairs leading to the ODK fight. Make sure he survives a successful battle with this boss. Then return to the bonfire under the bridge at Undead Settlement. Go to the cage where you found Cornyx. His weapon and armor set will be on the corpse right in front of the cage.

What enchantment level should I have my main weapons and shields at for Irithyll?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any reason to clear out the triple hippo hand room in Profaned Capital? Cause out of all the enemies in the game, they are the only ones I really can't stand fighting.

The one with all that toxic poison area? One drops the axe, but that's about it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RedTonic posted:

What enchantment level should I have my main weapons and shields at for Irithyll?

+6, shields are not that good because blocking sucks in this game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Not having any fun in this Bloodborne clone.

Lay some easy classes and builds on me, tia.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pump strength, use demon fists, be a cool guy

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Knight, shield use.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lucatiel hat, estoc, gress crest shield, fallen knight armor, carthus blood ring, carthus milk ring, blue sentinels

pump vit as hard as you can

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

lite_sleepr posted:

Not having any fun in this Bloodborne clone.

Lay some easy classes and builds on me, tia.

Why did they mix this with lovely action souls, Jumping katana attacks are so lame.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

may have been posted already but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPuUlnlqbo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even on a second time through I absolutely cannot stand the Irithyll Dungeon jailers. They are my least favorite enemy in the series. I'd sincerely rather deal with Winter Lantern frenzy brains because at least I can chug a sedative and avoid the damage.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I don't know about giving the game an easy mode, but I'm replaying through it and it does seem like the latter half of the game's enemy damage is a bit out of whack in places. I don't know how much armor I'm supposed to be wearing for this to not happen, but in full Thorns armor, 27 vigor, rings of favor and life, some bosses' heavier attacks are routinely lopping off 3/4ths or more of my total life bar for a single dodging mistake. I think it'd be a little better if some of that stuff was toned down just a bit, and then maybe slash the amount of estus you get throughout the game because I feel like one was enabling the other.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Harrow posted:

Even on a second time through I absolutely cannot stand the Irithyll Dungeon jailers. They are my least favorite enemy in the series. I'd sincerely rather deal with Winter Lantern frenzy brains because at least I can chug a sedative and avoid the damage.

It's really neat that you have to plant those greatbows like a crew served weapon now.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Internet Friend posted:

Afaik you have to kill all of them and the Eleonora goes straight to your inventory, it's not a drop from one of them.

e: I am wrong

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 27, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

I really don't see how they are that big of a deal. Honestly, their super fast grab attack annoys me more than the health drain just because it catches me offguard a lot.

Something I found out this run is that soul greatsword always knocks them flat on their rear end, making them an easy kill for mages.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Internet Friend posted:

The one that isn't sleeping drops a weapon, just aggro it and then fight it outside. The two sleeping ones drop nothing and can be ignored.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Why did they mix this with lovely action souls, Jumping katana attacks are so lame.

Also what the gently caress is with these Resident Evil 5 slug slime parasites possessing random mobs?

This is a Bloodborne/RE 5 love child and it's ugly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

afaik from my experience with light shields, shields don't actually gain stability or damage reduction when you upgrade them, only damage (prolly bc you can't upgrade armor either, so they decided to make upgrading/titanite solely for increasing the player's offense)

in other words you shouldn't ever worry about upgrading your shield unless you want to bash with it or I guess you're using the blessed infusion where the hp regen increases with rank

which is good, upgrading armor was a dumb mechanic

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there some kind of ring that makes there be two 'hosts'? I suppose it makes you, as a phantom, look like a host? The readout even says 'host of embers' above both hosts names, and they both look real.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't know about giving the game an easy mode, but I'm replaying through it and it does seem like the latter half of the game's enemy damage is a bit out of whack in places. I don't know how much armor I'm supposed to be wearing for this to not happen, but in full Thorns armor, 27 vigor, rings of favor and life, some bosses' heavier attacks are routinely lopping off 3/4ths or more of my total life bar for a single dodging mistake. I think it'd be a little better if some of that stuff was toned down just a bit, and then maybe slash the amount of estus you get throughout the game because I feel like one was enabling the other.

Its called the illusion of difficulty. It was fun when everything was slow in dark souls and demon souls and you could use strategy playing. Now its all rolls and I frames.

redreader posted:

Is there some kind of ring that makes there be two 'hosts'? I suppose it makes you, as a phantom, look like a host? The readout even says 'host of embers' above both hosts names, and they both look real.

Thats how they are doing it with the rings from Yuri? The girl that shows up in firelink shrine after you have 5 dark sigils.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

Your name shows up as "Host of Embers" in MP if you wear the ring that makes you always look like a normal non-phantom human, yeah

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

redreader posted:

Yeah there is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tenzarin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

redreader posted:

It's the Untrue Dark Ring that Yulia sells. It says it retains your human appearance while hollow, but it works while you're a phantom too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Invading is pointless and not fun in this game. An endless sea of gank squads.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't see how they are that big of a deal. Honestly, their super fast grab attack annoys me more than the health drain just because it catches me offguard a lot.

Something I found out this run is that soul greatsword always knocks them flat on their rear end, making them an easy kill for mages.

It's the super-fast grab attack that's the problem. If it gets you while your HP is drained you're dead, and it got me a couple times this time through so I got newly pissed at them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zombies' Downfall posted:

afaik from my experience with light shields, shields don't actually gain stability or damage reduction when you upgrade them, only damage (prolly bc you can't upgrade armor either, so they decided to make upgrading/titanite solely for increasing the player's offense)

Medium shields don't have damage reductions when you upgrade them but they definitely get stability boosts

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

bewilderment posted:

People in this thread were talking about Pontiff Sulyvahn as if he's a super hard Artorias-like boss but he's actually super easy most of the time? I beat him solo and unembered on my second try.

1. Equip good shield with 100% phys resist and decent fire resist. I picked up a Lothric Knight Shield and upgraded it to +3 for kicks, but anything will probably do.
2. Buff your weapon if you feel like it.
3. Run towards him. Block or dodge out of the way of his first attack and don't get hit by it like I did both times.
4. Keep your shield up and circle around him anticlockwise like you're playing Dark Souls 1. Take minor chip damage from fire.
5. Hit him once or twice after he swings.
6. Run away a little bit when he's doing his phase two transformation.
7. When he starts summoning a phantom, mash R1 on him.
Repeat steps 4 and 5, and 7 as appropriate, until you win.

I didn't do any of this and just ran in with an uchigatana and did running attacks all day after dodging. ez np first try

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Wildtortilla posted:

The irony of statements like these is palpable. :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

does bloodborne have invasions

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

The rules of the game have changed.

Your job as an invader is to waste as much of the Host's time as possible. Retreat to enemies, take pot shots, try to kill a phantom or two. Be on guard for Giant Seeds, you don't want to be hiding in the middle of an enemy pack. If you see an opportunity to finish off the Host, then go for it yeah.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Emalde posted:

The irony of statements like these is palpable. :v:
Is it actually?

voltcatfish posted:

yeah

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wildtortilla posted:

Dark souls 2 was so much better, Bell Bros and Rat Bros!

Now we only have literal rat bros.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I am using Chameleon + Chaos Storm. it's not efective but it's interesting!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

gank squad REPRESENT

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

I see people saying that, but I don't really understand why... Besides making dual wielding great shields no longer a viable gimmick. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

In theory.

They were pretty rare except for two areas. How it worked was that if a player rang a bell to summon another player for help, there was a chance it would summon a sinister bell-ringing lady NPC somewhere in the area. As long as she was around, you could be invaded. But killing her stopped invasions and banished any invaders. In practice, people rarely rang except right in front of a boss gate, and then would just go fight the boss, so invasions were really rare.

Two Nightmare areas had bell-ringing ladies from the start, though, so they turned into PvP hotspots.