Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Seriously, did they go to New York for one day? They travelled to the other side of the country and stayed one night?

You just don't get it. You have no idea how expensive it is to set a comic strip in an exotic location like New York. If they don't get back to the regularly scheduled programming they'll blow a year's worth of budget on 10 strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set performs a taste test.

Working Daze returns to the safe waters of Big Bang Theory jokes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix keeps the camera rolling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doug... doing a thing? what the gently caress is this.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

it's perfect genius

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

welp

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Wanamingo posted:

Pluggers

welp

Pluggers is getting dark in more ways than one, it seems.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Four (September 23-26, 1954)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
That last panel pretty much sums up Luann in its entirety.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have never watched a single millisecond of any Doctor Who series so all I know about it is from internet osmosis, but aren't all the Doctor Who companions pretty ladies and not fat old hags with lordosis?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze returns to the safe waters of Big Bang Theory jokes.

That baby is going to grow up to resent their parents so much!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

UUUAAAAGGGGHHHH TIFF IS SUCH A BITCH :supaburn:

Whatever. "Wanna ask me about my trip?" Who even asks that?

The Amazing Spider-Man

For some reason.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Ugh, this is so dumb.

Chimeric posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog
History sounded more likely to me. Why would a science class be covering the four classical elements?

Calaveron posted:

I have never watched a single millisecond of any Doctor Who series so all I know about it is from internet osmosis, but aren't all the Doctor Who companions pretty ladies and not fat old hags with lordosis?
Not exactly. Most companions have been relatively young (particularly as compared with the first few doctors who were old men), but plenty of them have been men and many of them were pretty normal looking people.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/50-years/companions/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

For some reason.
Yeah I'm not sure why Doctor Strange would do that.

As a reminder, his name is Stephen Vincent Strange, and he's a retired surgeon. Doctor Strange is not his superhero title it's his name. I think he's even listed in the phone book.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why Doctor Strange would do that.

Uh, duh? To make Peter look like he's talking to himself.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

BERNICE: Okay, so, we got there, and then we had dinner at a Korean place where our ostensible guide ordered stuff they keep around to troll tourists. Dinner at 8pm had us all tuckered out so we went to sleep as soon as we got back to the hotel. Then our friend got us on the list at an exclusive club with a painfully dumb name somehow, and we took ~scary public transit~ to get there, and we were let in but immediately kicked out because we're like 19 years old. Then we apparently came home the very next day, but not until Luann bought the rube-iest poorly-printed t-shirt she could find.

HIPPIE ROOMMATE: [has already stabbed dozens of pins into Bernice voodoo doll] fascinating, do go on

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Wanamingo posted:

Uh, duh? To make Peter look like he's talking to himself.
Yeah, pretty much. Like Zereth points out above, Dr. Strange is his actual name: he has a phone number and neighbors, he can't have people thinking that he spends his time hanging out with Newspaper Spider-Man. That's the kind of thing that makes people cross the street when they see you walking towards them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Command Ant posted:

That baby is going to grow up to resent their parents so much!

ehhhhhHHHHH, i work with kids and I know one whose parents are insane geeks and, hey, turns out the kid is also a geek who talks about cartoons that were on a good 5 years before they were born. he also talks affectionately of his uncle who evidently LARPs. kid is probably doomed socially but they might enjoy the ride

Stuccojeff
May 2, 2009

ikanreed posted:

A couple days old, but god drat is the the dumb jock we're supposed to hate the only decent human being in this strip.

He tries to set up his co-worker, who's constantly rude to him, on a date, takes him to the gym to get in shape, gives him free beer, and still gets hated on. I mean maybe I'm misreading author intent and we're not supposed to hate him, but he seems like the nicest dude, and his only shortcoming is a bit of bravado and not liking nerd poo poo.

I totally agree. I think this sort of thing happens more in webcomics written by people in their 20's-30's rather than in the deathless realm of newspaper comics.

The WACKY protagonist is super cool but has to deal with an annoying character who rubs them the wrong way. The writer completely misses the mark on making their main character likable and the reader ends up rooting for the minor antagonist who doesn't buy into the charm of the main character either. Sensing that something is awry, the writer tries to pile humiliation on the beleaguered antagonist so we can all revel in their shame. This only ends up making the readers already on the side of the antagonist identify with them more.

I'm trying to think of examples of this in newspaper comics.
Luann stands out as an obvious example. Greg Evans likes to assume we all love the DeGroots despite them being the most boring sacks of inaction in the entire strip.
For Better or For Worse was pretty guilty of this as well.
And as a longtime fan of Bloom County, I hate to admit that the newer incarnation seems to be going that way as well

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

You know who asks a thing like that? A bitch.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiggum posted:

History sounded more likely to me. Why would a science class be covering the four classical elements?

Some school don't have the budget to get the absolute newest edition science text books!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Bryan loving Adams, huh? Lots of boomer nostalgia for the guy who wrote the song from the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why is her head as big as her torso? How long is her hair? What is she looking at in panel two? Clearly not the pants she's referring to. Who is she talking to? Obviously not Nancy.

You want to draw big-breasted women in tight shirts, Gilchrist? Understandable. So does Mike Manley and no one really has much of a problem with him. Really, it's fine.

But could you at least do it competently? Judge Parker is basically an excuse for Woody Wilson to write his fantasies about being rich and for Mike Manley to draw attractive women and both of them to get paid for it, but at least it looks decent. Abbey Spencer may have basically no value as a character, but at least her head stays the same size relative to her body from panel to panel.

And have you ever seen either breasts or t-shirts before? What the hell is going on in panel three? Does that shirt have little compartments moulded to her breasts?

Why is anyone paying this man to draw anything when he is clearly not capable?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Cat Comix

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Does Skip go to Wizard School?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

This strip is much better if you mentally add a final panel of Andy Capp kicking the poo poo out of the loving horse.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (April 30, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 4-5, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 14, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

The very Earth itself wants them to move the gently caress on.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wait. Wait a loving moment. Fannie Flagg is sending in incontinence jokes to Pluggers? What next, Betty White?

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Stuccojeff posted:

I totally agree. I think this sort of thing happens more in webcomics written by people in their 20's-30's rather than in the deathless realm of newspaper comics.

The WACKY protagonist is super cool but has to deal with an annoying character who rubs them the wrong way. The writer completely misses the mark on making their main character likable and the reader ends up rooting for the minor antagonist who doesn't buy into the charm of the main character either. Sensing that something is awry, the writer tries to pile humiliation on the beleaguered antagonist so we can all revel in their shame. This only ends up making the readers already on the side of the antagonist identify with them more.

Luann stands out as an obvious example. Greg Evans likes to assume we all love the DeGroots despite them being the most boring sacks of inaction in the entire strip.
And as a longtime fan of Bloom County, I hate to admit that the newer incarnation seems to be going that way as well

I strongly disagree about Bloom County. It's certainly not above criticism but its biggest strength is that it has an ensemble cast with clear personality traits that always bear on the stories they're involved in.

Steve Dallas is the protoypical straw man frat boy character but he is an accepted member of the main cast that hangs out with all the other more likeable characters without any of them ever calling him a jerk behind his back - except that they probably could because his established personality trait is being superficial and sexist.

His latest arc was not about him being a jerk that everybody should hate but actually had him broing around with a terminally ill little kid, which came about because of he was drunk and wanted to atone for being a jerk (making decisions while drunk is also pretty well established for him). The arc is just starting to involve interactions with the kid's single mom, who thinks he is playing the long game and just wants to get in her pants. And while this may well be the story's end game it certainly wasn't a factor in his initial decision and right now it is being held up by his established character trait as he basically tells her he could do way better.

It's more difficult to say who the main character but I'm going to go with Opus (Cutter John would have been the obvious Mary Sue candidate except that Breathed actually killed him off decades ago). Opus is the most likeable character in the strip but I don't think it's because he's the author's idea of a cool guy just like the author - he is actually the most pathetic character in the cast. His main personality trait is that pretty much everything is outside of his comfort zone, and he is actually the stereotypical goon. Almost every single arc he's been in has involved something cool and interesting happening to him and he always just wants to go home and watch t.v. in a dark room. He actually had a wish fulfilment arc back in the eighties where he got engaged to an attractive woman but he got all nervous about things like her having a prior dating history and he ultimately flubbed it.

I' not a fan of Binkley's unrequited love thing but it's not a huge part of the strip the way it is in intelligent life, and it is a pretty universal thing for a kid. Given BB's history with the strip, I'm not worried about Bloom County.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Bad guy is slow on the uptake

"My striped panties! What color panties are you wearing big boy?"

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Stuccojeff posted:

I remember in the heydays of baggin' on B^U how the strip's "nemeses" were infinitely more likeable than the protagonist...

quote:

Gunther is quite possibly the most pathetic dweeb on the comics page. And Lynn Johnston's "here's how my family would've turned out perfect" fanfiction is cringe-inducing. For me I'd like to add Rose is Rose to that list. I know we're supposed to find everyone's joy over the most mundane things to be twee and charming ("peanut butter AND jelly? IN THE SAME SANDWICH!?" -cue floating hearts and rainbows-) but it just comes across as hollow and obnoxious.
What kind of loving face is that in the middle panel? He looks like he has two mouths...

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Wow, those 30 year olds hanging out in the cafeteria sure are pissed off about school rings.

And you should be careful posting thost Batuik strips together...
You'll create a singularity of smug...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes marches into the bold new year of 1993.

Ripley's

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 4, 1951)

Barnaby (September 9, 1942)

Nancy (May 19, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (January 30, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (February 28, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 14, 1936)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Call Your Grandma posted:

I strongly disagree about Bloom County. It's certainly not above criticism but its biggest strength is that it has an ensemble cast with clear personality traits that always bear on the stories they're involved in.

Steve Dallas is the protoypical straw man frat boy character but he is an accepted member of the main cast that hangs out with all the other more likeable characters without any of them ever calling him a jerk behind his back - except that they probably could because his established personality trait is being superficial and sexist.

His latest arc was not about him being a jerk that everybody should hate but actually had him broing around with a terminally ill little kid, which came about because of he was drunk and wanted to atone for being a jerk (making decisions while drunk is also pretty well established for him). The arc is just starting to involve interactions with the kid's single mom, who thinks he is playing the long game and just wants to get in her pants. And while this may well be the story's end game it certainly wasn't a factor in his initial decision and right now it is being held up by his established character trait as he basically tells her he could do way better.

It's more difficult to say who the main character but I'm going to go with Opus (Cutter John would have been the obvious Mary Sue candidate except that Breathed actually killed him off decades ago). Opus is the most likeable character in the strip but I don't think it's because he's the author's idea of a cool guy just like the author - he is actually the most pathetic character in the cast. His main personality trait is that pretty much everything is outside of his comfort zone, and he is actually the stereotypical goon. Almost every single arc he's been in has involved something cool and interesting happening to him and he always just wants to go home and watch t.v. in a dark room. He actually had a wish fulfilment arc back in the eighties where he got engaged to an attractive woman but he got all nervous about things like her having a prior dating history and he ultimately flubbed it.

I' not a fan of Binkley's unrequited love thing but it's not a huge part of the strip the way it is in intelligent life, and it is a pretty universal thing for a kid. Given BB's history with the strip, I'm not worried about Bloom County.

I swear Cutter John has shown up at least once since the reboot, and though he ceased to be the regular character he was back in the beginning of the original run, he'd still appear in the odd Sunday strip for the periodic "starchair enterpoop" running gag.

As to main character, Opus slowly grew into that role over the run of the original strip, and clearly was throughout Outland and Opus (obviously), but at the beginning he was basically a sidekick to Binkley, who I'd call one of the two candidates for the original main character of Bloom County (the other being Milo).

Hey, that reminds me, whatever happened to Milo's grandfather? He just seemed to disappear at some point in the late 80s as I recall.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

It's more difficult to say who the main character but I'm going to go with Opus (Cutter John would have been the obvious Mary Sue candidate except that Breathed actually killed him off decades ago).

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I swear Cutter John has shown up at least once since the reboot, and though he ceased to be the regular character he was back in the beginning of the original run, he'd still appear in the odd Sunday strip for the periodic "starchair enterpoop" running gag.

Yeah, Cutter John came back for the first few months, and falling into a relationship with a single mom is how we got the little girl character. Breathed updated him to an Iraq veteran, although which Iraq war isn't exactly clear.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dismas posted:

Bryan loving Adams, huh? Lots of boomer nostalgia for the guy who wrote the song from the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie?

Tiggum posted:

Why is her head as big as her torso? How long is her hair? What is she looking at in panel two? Clearly not the pants she's referring to. Who is she talking to? Obviously not Nancy.

You want to draw big-breasted women in tight shirts, Gilchrist? Understandable. So does Mike Manley and no one really has much of a problem with him. Really, it's fine.

But could you at least do it competently? Judge Parker is basically an excuse for Woody Wilson to write his fantasies about being rich and for Mike Manley to draw attractive women and both of them to get paid for it, but at least it looks decent. Abbey Spencer may have basically no value as a character, but at least her head stays the same size relative to her body from panel to panel.

And have you ever seen either breasts or t-shirts before? What the hell is going on in panel three? Does that shirt have little compartments moulded to her breasts?

Why is anyone paying this man to draw anything when he is clearly not capable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (May 19, 1943)

This is a Nancy strip we can all enjoy.

• Locked thread