Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I was thinking I'd like to make a "modern day" mod for HoI4, spanning from 1980 to 2020. I've never played an HoI game and the more I see of HoI4, I'm thinking this is less-and-less of a possibility. What do you guys think?

Edit: Looks like a "modern day" mod is already in the works on the Paradox forums. It's setting is 2018+ though.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

I was thinking I'd like to make a "modern day" mod for HoI4, spanning from 1980 to 2020. I've never played an HoI game and the more I see of HoI4, I'm thinking this is less-and-less of a possibility. What do you guys think?

That depends, what are your opinions on straits?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ExtraNoise posted:

I think the HoI series (and probably all Paradox GS games) have never really handled asymmetric warfare all that well. I'm not sure how the characteristics of both Afghanistans, both Iraqs, etc., and what made those wars such messes, can be done in an enjoyable way in the HoI system. Simulating insurgencies would basically just be negative province modifiers or whack-a-partisan busywork.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The Narrator posted:

whack-a-partisan busywork.

Saddam Hussein Simulator 2017

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Narrator posted:

I think the HoI series (and probably all Paradox GS games) have never really handled asymmetric warfare all that well.

I'm going to let this image I posted to the KR LP thread speak for itself (ISIS has control of the entire Arab world and south-west Asia at this point in time).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that mod would probably kick rear end super hard if the optimization wasn't so terrible.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I like that he can end up psuedo-fascist. An otherwise decent man losing his way due to anti-syndie(red) paranoia is quite believable. Basically, Long sees himself as the only one who can protect The American Way(TM) from the Red Menace. His atrocities and crackdowns are justified(to himself) because it's the only way to win. That kind of tension(Long's fairly leftist goals vs. The need to win the ACW at any cost) makes for a more interesting experience, IMO.

Quite accurate based on all observed accounts of Huey Long in our timeline as well. Authoritarian in support of collectivist* goals is about right.

*Mostly to tweak the stellaris thread but the railroads had to be broken to achieve any benefits for the majority of Louisianans.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ExtraNoise posted:

Edit: Looks like a "modern day" mod is already in the works on the Paradox forums. It's setting is 2018+ though.

Pitch it to Paradox, get some official funding, go hog wild.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

My ideal Paradox title would be a Victoria-style game set in the near-future (say, starting in 2050) as the Earth begins to be ravaged by climate change.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I had a game in the old Modern Day Scenario mod for Armageddon where the Iraq war past the initial fighting was represented by giant partisan risks and Afghanistan was a stable American puppet. The American AI didn't garrison Iraq at all so Iraq revolted and was immediately destroyed by Iran, Syria and Saudi Arabia. Other highlights were the neverending Ukrainian civil war because newly built units on both sides were destroyed by the crazy powerful jets before ever reaching the front line and that playing as the EU meant I auto annexed with cores any European nation I could get into my alliance, including Turkey and puppet Belarus from a war with Russia. My desire to conquer the UK from the 'Coalition' faction is what led to total nuclear war. Hell of a mod.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If you released a puppet Iraq, the logical thing to do with lands you've conquered, everything broke. I think Saddam even remained as Head of State.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My favorite thing about that mod was that stealth bombers could wipe out airfields after one sortie. Also how it took ten years for a world war to start with that mod.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SoggyBobcat posted:

My ideal Paradox title would be a Victoria-style game set in the near-future (say, starting in 2050) as the Earth begins to be ravaged by climate change.

2016 would also work.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
My regressed depth grobeller class is only getting some of their daily needs fulfilled.

az
Dec 2, 2005

WWW is on right now and I love the looting equipment mechanic. Using Czech tanks to fill in tank divisions is neat as hell and I hope they'll let us liberate enemy ships too :getin:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

az posted:

WWW is on right now and I love the looting equipment mechanic. Using Czech tanks to fill in tank divisions is neat as hell and I hope they'll let us liberate enemy ships too :getin:

His invasion of Germany turned out to be a bit of a clusterfuck.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't understand the hate for AUS. All you need to do is shoot a few dissidents and eat a bit of revolt risk and you can become a fully free market authoritarian state. Who can resist that?

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't stopped five miles over the border.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kavak posted:

Here's our website: http://cs.servegame.com/kaiserreich/index.php

Traditionalism runs strong, but I'm hoping to at least revise America's economic situation and add more paths to avoid the war. What do you want to do in South America?

Can you guys add events for Monarchist Brazil adding claims on Portugal and Angola/Mozambique? Also more stuff to do to get involved with the rest of the world after the La Plata war. Also I read an AAR on the Paradox forums ("The Crown Atomic") where Totalist Brazil got an insanely badass flag and got to form a South American Syndicalist Union due to the OP editing stuff and I wanna see that on the main game.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 27, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Actually thinking a bit more about it, the Integralista -> Patrianovista -> Monarquista event line should definitely lead to the Bragança-Bourbon monarch joining the Entente if Portugal and the African colonies get liberated by the Syndies so that the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves is restored

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Also an event chain for when Brasil is finally civilised and they learn how to speak Spanish etc. tia

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

az posted:

Japan looted quite a lot of boats for their merchant marine (which US subs and planes promptly sent to Davie Jones' Locker :v:) and even had some British, Dutch, and American destroyers commissioned in their navy. The captured American four-stacker being in the drink for a year didn't stop them from raising and restoring it to use for hunting submarines.

Danann fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 27, 2016

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Never mind, it fixed itself finally it appears.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 27, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
So if you loot a countries tanks and they are better than yours can you use them? Or do they just become your tanks. What about planes?

ErrorlessErik
Jun 27, 2008

slavatuvs posted:

So if you loot a countries tanks and they are better than yours can you use them? Or do they just become your tanks. What about planes?

You can use how ever many of the things you looted but you can't build anymore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks like AI allied players need to build marines ASAP if they're going to be any good at policing the world.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

ErrorlessErik posted:

You can use how ever many of the things you looted but you can't build anymore.

Not even when you conquer their factories?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Friend Commuter posted:

Not even when you conquer their factories?
Not a WW2 scholar but I'd expect most arms factories were ready to destroy their tooling at a moments notice once enemy forces were within striking distance. So it would make sense you get the infrastructure, but wouldn't come with the ability to make whatever they were making.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zedprime posted:

Not a WW2 scholar but I'd expect most arms factories were ready to destroy their tooling at a moments notice once enemy forces were within striking distance. So it would make sense you get the infrastructure, but wouldn't come with the ability to make whatever they were making.

Depends on if they notice the enemy approaching, or if they are rigged to blow/demolish in the first place.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

zedprime posted:

Or if the factory's army will fight to the death in order to keep the factory in friendly hands, producing important goods.

See: The Dzerzhinsky Tractor Works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volgograd_Tractor_Plant

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

In game terms those factories instantly flip to building your designs instead.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gort posted:

In game terms those factories instantly flip to building your designs instead.

Is there at least a delay so its not immediate? I assume yes, but you never know...

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is there at least a delay so its not immediate? I assume yes, but you never know...

Dunno about captured factories specifically, but production runs in general start slow and ramp up throughput over time, to represent how long it takes to get a production line going full tilt.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

My favorite thing about that mod was that stealth bombers could wipe out airfields after one sortie. Also how it took ten years for a world war to start with that mod.

That doesnt sound too unrealistic about the airfield bombings

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Captured factories follow the same ramping up procedure as other factories. They start off very, very slow and build up to full efficiency over time. However, there are two other obstacles to taking over factories from the enemy. First, infrastructure damage. You've been fighting here for probably a long time, the factories are almost certainly damaged and need to be repaired before they can be used. Second, resistance movements will penalize or damage factories in areas with partisan activity, so get some MPs out there to patrol.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
poo poo i didnt know this hoi had monarch mana as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wooper posted:

poo poo i didnt know this hoi had monarch mana as well

it's somewhat more thought out this time(ie there's more than 3).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, the factories are mostly destroyed by the fighting, and even those that are untouched start at bad efficiency.

It's a pretty minor thing either way though I guess I wouldn't have a problem with you inheriting the production lines of countries you inherit if the developers cared enough to implement it. At the moment I'd be shocked if they didn't have far bigger fish to fry.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Stairmaster posted:

it's somewhat more thought out this time(ie there's more than 3).

more complicated = better thought out...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009
It would be cool if you managed to capture an enemy factory intact you could produce what was being built there. the 38(t) for example.