Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's just that people are sick of This Character Is Important Because She Is The

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm so goddamn TIRED of having to explain this basic goddamn poo poo over and over again.

Pot kettle much

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dabir posted:

I think it's just that people are sick of This Character Is Important Because She Is The

It's okay though, in the season finale you'll see that she Will Have Always Chosen To Be The

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very Watsonian.

*nods*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dabir posted:

Pretty much this. It's why I liked Mickey so much, he was just this clumsy lovable fuckup.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cabinet posted:

She asks the question of the universe

She is the source of the question "Doctor Who?"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

She helps him realize that the season's plot doesn't matter, what matters is that he is a mad man with a box.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm so goddamn TIRED of having to explain this basic goddamn poo poo over and over again.

then don't

Toxxupation posted:

Essentially, well-written ideas are effective, and badly-written ones aren't, and reducing it to "characters with predestined arcs are bad" (especially when the antithesis of that idea, Martha, is the worst or second-worst Companion of the revival) is reductive and silly.

well-written ideas are less effective when they get re-used though.
besides, the doctor is special, river song is special, Me is special, captain jack is special etc. i think the companions work the best when they're more normal people, the viewer stand-inns, just keeping up with the doctor and the universe. clara was at her best in season 8 where she wasn't the impossible girl or doctor who mark 2, just a person trying to reconcile traveling with the doctor with her normal earth life.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The two best companions in the classic series, Sarah Jane and Ace, had nothing special about them other than "being awesome."

(And I would add Jamie too IF THERE WERE MORE OF HIS STORIES!!!)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

The two best companions in the classic series, Sarah Jane and Ace, had nothing special about them other than "being awesome."

Zoe is a pretty fantastic one to finish off the power trio

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Jamie is the best companion in the entire history of the series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Didn't Ace have some sort of special destiny? I thought that was the point of Ghost Light?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn't Ace have some sort of special destiny? I thought that was the point of Ghost Light?

And Curse, and Survival to some extent (plus the rest of the Cartmel Master Plan). It didn't come up much though, even in stories where it mattered.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the new companion preview short.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, Ace is a bad example because she was the first Companion With A Special Destiny and Secret Origins. She was Clara before Clara Clara'd. Except it was probably a splinter of Clara that set up the lab explosion that blew her through time and space to Iceworld. :v:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Loose Cannon recons still count :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Loose Cannon recons still count :colbert:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, like all smart and cultured people with enormous sex appeal do, CobiWann wanted there to be a full televised season of 6, Peri and Jamie adventures.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, like all smart and cultured people with enormous sex appeal do, CobiWann wanted there to be a full televised season of 6, Peri and Jamie adventures.

Well, I am under 300 pounds for the first time in eight years...a harbinger of programming to come?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nothing but carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice, eh?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Nothing but carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice, eh?

:golfclap:

And DDP Yoga.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ace was the first companion with a really fleshed out backstory that was heavily involved in the stories. Tegan has a dead aunt and a job, but they drop off the face of the Earth the moment the Doctor arrives, Jamie occasionally mentions hating the British redcoats, Leela talks about how different things are with the Sevateem, but Ace has a story arc about her getting over burning down the creepy house, overcoming growing up in Perivale, and learning why she maybe shouldn't hate her mother. It wasn't so much that she was "special", so much as she had "hidden depths" and "psychological issues" that the Doctor was actively helping her work through.

Her eventually growing up to be a Time Lord is more like Romana ending up the President of Gallifrey. She's not so much the recipient of magical powers as someone who grew up and learned to accept herself under the tutelage of a talented professor. I always got the sense that, if Doctor Sylvester was travelling with, for example, Ray Defwydd, a lot of the places he would take her to would be different.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
China unveils new security robot. Chief scientist Davros unavailable for comment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

China unveils new security robot. Chief scientist Davros unavailable for comment.

Ah, the Mark 1 Travel Machine.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Hopefully we'll see other countries taking this one step further, i.e. basing their future designs on all the rubbish robot monsters the Dr Who production team had to come up with in the late '60s because Terry Nation wouldn't let them use the Daleks anymore.

Something with big silver-painted shoeboxes for arms (which only have limited up and down movements), maybe a solitary Christmas tree light bulb on its forehead that flashes when it's speaking, can't get through any doors on the set, has to be regularly helped back up onto their feet by the crew in strong winds etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pinacotheca posted:

Hopefully we'll see other countries taking this one step further, i.e. basing their future designs on all the rubbish robot monsters the Dr Who production team had to come up with in the late '60s because Terry Nation wouldn't let them use the Daleks anymore.

Something with big silver-painted shoeboxes for arms (which only have limited up and down movements), maybe a solitary Christmas tree light bulb on its forehead that flashes when it's speaking, can't get through any doors on the set, has to be regularly helped back up onto their feet by the crew in strong winds etc.

It'll be fine so long as we keep it away from nuclear launch codes and metal-eating viruses.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Apple launch in 2020 will be interesting.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It'll be fine so long as we keep it away from nuclear launch codes and metal-eating viruses.

Yes! Subject to an extensive recall the following year after it turns out they all keep falling in love with plucky female journalists.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Forktoss posted:

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure I can just push this thing over.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

pinacotheca posted:

Yes! Subject to an extensive recall the following year after it turns out they all keep falling in love with plucky female journalists.

That's just a feature with Sarah Jane Smiths in general. Nothing is going to protect against that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Astroman posted:

Yeah, Ace is a bad example because she was the first Companion With A Special Destiny and Secret Origins. She was Clara before Clara Clara'd. Except it was probably a splinter of Clara that set up the lab explosion that blew her through time and space to Iceworld. :v:

nah that was Fenric although that might be Big Finish stuff that isn't technically canon, although honestly who gives a poo poo for Doctor Who canon; its a programme which has shown three totally different reasons for Atlantis disappearing among other contradictory stuff, and most Doctor Who episodes that try to fix canon stuff are awful (example: Attack of the Cybermen)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

IceAgeComing posted:

nah that was Fenric although that might be Big Finish stuff that isn't technically canon

It's absolutely in the relevant episode, maybe you should watch it right now to confirm

IceAgeComing posted:

although honestly who gives a poo poo for Doctor Who canon; its a programme which has shown three totally different reasons for Atlantis disappearing

Within a year of each other!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

pinacotheca posted:

.... I'm a robot...? :ohdear:

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That's just a feature with Sarah Jane Smiths in general. Nothing is going to protect against that.

Oh phew, thank goodness for that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

.... I'm a robot...? :ohdear:

Oh phew, thank goodness for that.

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/3ACV07/07.mp3

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll show ye!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's absolutely in the relevant episode, maybe you should watch it right now to confirm

She's one of his wolves right? I haven't Fenric'd in a while.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

She's one of his wolves right? I haven't Fenric'd in a while.

Maybe you should watch it right now to confirm

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Maybe you should watch it right now to confirm

I would if I wasn't at work.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I would if I wasn't at work.

Explain why you need to go home right now to your supervisor. They'll understand.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's a really good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

If I'm ever going to cut out of work early to watch a Who serial it's not going to be Fenric.

It's going to be Ghost Light.

• Locked thread