Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, for the past few days, I've taken to doing [Gold Ore -> Gold Bar + Dragonstone -> Dragon Bracelet -> Hi-Alch] for Smith/Craft/Magic for a variety of reasons (Unlocking invention, Cooking Urns, Lava Flow Mine, Love Story, While Guthix Sleeps) while slowly making coins to support my Bond habit. Is this an ok method as long as I can keep a constant supply of DStone, or am I a big dumb who is missing better ways of doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I too would like an answer to this because if there isn't a better way I will be doing this.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Is 'plank make' not profitable anymore? it used to be the fastest xp/hr for not lsing money for magic xp.

Also, usually the fastest xp methods are coin sinks, make your money some other way, save a bunch up then burn it all on resources for xp, faster than trying to do a hybrid way.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

CashEnsign posted:

Is 'plank make' not profitable anymore? it used to be the fastest xp/hr for not lsing money for magic xp.

Also, usually the fastest xp methods are coin sinks, make your money some other way, save a bunch up then burn it all on resources for xp, faster than trying to do a hybrid way.

Nope. Wiki pegs it as -6.1 coins/exp.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Toshimo posted:

So, for the past few days, I've taken to doing [Gold Ore -> Gold Bar + Dragonstone -> Dragon Bracelet -> Hi-Alch] for Smith/Craft/Magic for a variety of reasons (Unlocking invention, Cooking Urns, Lava Flow Mine, Love Story, While Guthix Sleeps) while slowly making coins to support my Bond habit. Is this an ok method as long as I can keep a constant supply of DStone, or am I a big dumb who is missing better ways of doing this?

This seems fine, though I think you would make a bit more money by enchanting dragonstone necklaces and selling those. If you run out of dragonstones, making and enchanting diamond jewellery gives similar profits, though not as much exp, obviously.

Edit: It looks like Rings of duelling have been going back up in price for some reason. Those will give you more profit per item, but I don't know if it would be more profitable overall.

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 22, 2016

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Toshimo posted:

the best way is probably just killing monsters to level magic and make money and use the profits to level the other two honestly, since combat magic costs almost nothing now because of revolution and combat is BY FAR the fastest way to make money.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 22, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

joachim783 posted:

the best way is probably just killing monsters to level magic and make money and use the profits to level the other two honestly, since combat magic costs almost nothing now because of revolution and combat is BY FAR the fastest way to make money.

I haven't done a lot of fighting and I don't think I have EoC turned on. Is there a good primer?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Revolution/Bars

That and slayer will make you a millionaire in to time

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Out of curiosity (and the fact that this game has a surprisingly high number of Twitch viewers), I logged onto my character using the browser client for the first time in almost a decade to check if it was still around, and it was!

For a mid-level F2P character (average skill level is mid-60s) who has enough stockpiled gold to buy a bond from the exchange market, how easy would it be to make enough to buy another bond within the first 2 weeks of membership? Is it possible to continually pay for membership with bonds? I was always F2P so I'd need to level member skills and travel around to unlock the city teleports.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Yes but are you sure you want to start poopsocking Runescape out of all games at this point in your life? It'll certainly be faster to earn the $ in real life

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

IncendiaC posted:

Out of curiosity (and the fact that this game has a surprisingly high number of Twitch viewers), I logged onto my character using the browser client for the first time in almost a decade to check if it was still around, and it was!

For a mid-level F2P character (average skill level is mid-60s) who has enough stockpiled gold to buy a bond from the exchange market, how easy would it be to make enough to buy another bond within the first 2 weeks of membership? Is it possible to continually pay for membership with bonds? I was always F2P so I'd need to level member skills and travel around to unlock the city teleports.

If you have a couple of ports 90s and are a good way into ports, you can can get enough coins to buy a 2 week bond every week and a half just from sending out trade goods missions and making things from that. It's what I do to pay my way in RS, so every other means of earning money is just gravy.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

IncendiaC posted:

Pretty easy. Check out the money making guide on the wiki and the newbie money guide (with totally out of date numbers) linked in the second post of this very thread.

Fishmech is right about ports, but that's a long long term goal for you if you're new to membership and short on relevant level 90 skills.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Good news, everyone: http://www.amazon.com/30-Day-Membership-RuneScape-Instant/dp/B008BKEWMI/

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

25 keys for eight dollars.

What am I saying, I don't even play scratchy lotteries.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I remember doing 150 keys for 20bux during that special they had. That was so bad.

This was it was still the wheel, special items were limited to the week of release and removed afterwards, and stars/lamps didn't have a use all option.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
http://imgur.com/DmwcTmX

anyone having this weird poo poo happen to them? I can't play like this :/ I was excited for the new client too

e: it's apparently an issue with ambient occlusion

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 23, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm shockingly having a good time in this game. I didn't expect a 15 year old game to be fun still and figured you guys were going on nostalgia and all. I'm sure I could super-poopsock this game and obsess over the 'optimal playstyle' and all but I'm having a good time just kinda wandering around doing whatever feels fun at the moment. I grew some potatos, murdered some slime men by ripping their hearts out, shot a lot of things with magic, fun times.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm shockingly having a good time in this game. I didn't expect a 15 year old game to be fun still and figured you guys were going on nostalgia and all. I'm sure I could super-poopsock this game and obsess over the 'optimal playstyle' and all but I'm having a good time just kinda wandering around doing whatever feels fun at the moment. I grew some potatos, murdered some slime men by ripping their hearts out, shot a lot of things with magic, fun times.

Go do the "Let them eat pie" quest, remember to put all audio and voice acting to 100%

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spergminer posted:

Go do the "Let them eat pie" quest, remember to put all audio and voice acting to 100%

Yea did that as one of my first ones, I don't know why anyone would ever click the option to skip over watching the man puke everywhere

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

palamedes posted:

Pretty easy. Check out the money making guide on the wiki and the newbie money guide (with totally out of date numbers) linked in the second post of this very thread.

Fishmech is right about ports, but that's a long long term goal for you if you're new to membership and short on relevant level 90 skills.
Will check out those guides, thanks! Also yeah the ports thing isn't happening since all the member skills are at 1, and my highest F2P skill by far is level 80.

mallamp posted:

Yes but are you sure you want to start poopsocking Runescape out of all games at this point in your life? It'll certainly be faster to earn the $ in real life
This is gonna be purely casual for me, so no long hours grinding away or anything like that. It's mainly curiosity and "I've got 10 million saved up from 10 years ago, let's try membership out and see how far it takes me". Even with multiple bonds I'll most likely just get bored a month or so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

IncendiaC posted:

Will check out those guides, thanks! Also yeah the ports thing isn't happening since all the member skills are at 1, and my highest F2P skill by far is level 80.

This is gonna be purely casual for me, so no long hours grinding away or anything like that. It's mainly curiosity and "I've got 10 million saved up from 10 years ago, let's try membership out and see how far it takes me". Even with multiple bonds I'll most likely just get bored a month or so.

I recommend that when you get membership, you hop into the Runespan and grind up Runecrafting through it. It's essentially free and the fastest Runecrafting XP possible. On top of that it can be your first 90 for ports, so you can get started unlocking all the ports stuff.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

just found out you can get a month membership on amazon for like 5bux. OSRS round 4 here we go

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I am not some Olde Tyme Runescaper either and the game really hooked me in. It's a great game to drop in and out of as well. I find the older content can get pretty horrible and there is definitely a grind - I'm just now getting to the point where I feel like I'm no longer a rank newbie and can Do Things. That said all the newer quests and content is all really well done and awesome. I highly recommend doing One Piercing Note if you haven't already to get a taste for Good Content.

Edit: Wasn't trying to say ALL old content is bad just that in the older stuff you can find some real terrible poo poo.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
The one thing I thought was consistently good about the game was the music. Here is an old post highlighting some of the more modern songs I really liked.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Themata posted:

The one thing I thought was consistently good about the game was the music. Here is an old post highlighting some of the more modern songs I really liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJW8_y4tHOU

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4du7kkfOfwY

Also really liked this from the Tuska Event.

But yeah, I think Runescape's music's kinda underrated considering we're sat at like 1000+ music tracks or whatever now. :v:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The new stuff is nice too, but every once in a while I pull out my playlist of the original midi's, and just the tracks that played in free-to-play areas. Runescape is nothing if not potent nostalgia fuel. :unsmith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Interesting NXT graphical glitches:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

quote:

his is gonna be purely casual for me, so no long hours grinding away or anything like that. It's mainly curiosity and "I've got 10 million saved up from 10 years ago, let's try membership out and see how far it takes me". Even with multiple bonds I'll most likely just get bored a month or so.

Yeah but I mean wth those stats you'll have to do pretty boring poo poo to make money, at least that was the case when I last played 6 months ago or so. With high stats you could have fun and pay bods at same time

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

fishmech posted:

Interesting NXT graphical glitches:

Same pillars but in my case the model was there with no textures. I've been noticing more of that that I didn't see when it launched weirdly enough.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I was looking around the site and happened to come across... this

no kinkshaming please

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Mod Ash rules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I have a bunch of Dung levels, but no tokens. I don't really like dung at all, but the rewards are cray cray. How to I get mass tokens so I can buy rewards without dunging forever?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Sinkholes, twice daily. Get on them.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Dungeoneering is also better with friends. Barring that, goons should be willing to help out.

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
It's always a good feeling screwing a pubbie out of their reward though. The amount of rage you get. The sweet sweet tears. It fuels me.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

I bet you're the rear end in a top hat who always plays a smoke devil when I have a huge + large

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How do magic weapons work. If I have wand+orb do I get the accuracy from both? If not, what's the point in using both?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Toshimo posted:

How do magic weapons work. If I have wand+orb do I get the accuracy from both? If not, what's the point in using both?

higher rate of fire = higher dps even though you miss more shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CashEnsign posted:

higher rate of fire = higher dps even though you miss more shots.

So, having using wand+offhand has higher rate of fire than just 1 by itself?