Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

*swipes right*

Me and car are on our 3rd date now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

Hey let's remove any and all positive feedback from whatever I'm doing in a car so I have more of an excuse when I mow down a row of schoolkids...

Chrysler just recalled all of their 2014 and 15 cars that have an electronic shifter installed because people can't figure out if it's in park due to poor feedback. 41 people injured and that is an actual physical shift lever of sorts.

Let's just remove the shift lever altogether and hope for the best!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Maybe we can do some kind of voice command.

"HAL, put the car in drive, please."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"XBox turn off."

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fyodor posted:

"XBox turn off."

The XBOX is too large to fit in an automobile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think :thejoke: is that doing that pops a giant input blocking "are you sure" dialog that you have to deal with before resuming whatever you were doing.

"Sorry officer I plowed through that group of kids because my radio triggered a system shutdown."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Let's be fair. This is a car with an automatic transmission. How often do you actually have to mess with the gearshift in an emergency?

It's stupid (which is why this is a concept, not a production car) and it would be frustrating to use, but I don't see how it's especially unsafe.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Let's be fair. This is a car with an automatic transmission. How often do you actually have to mess with the gearshift in an emergency?

It's stupid (which is why this is a concept, not a production car) and it would be frustrating to use, but I don't see how it's especially unsafe.

I can see someone putting it in neutral accidentally while on the highway. Plus those buttons are sataana's own work perkele

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a primate posted:

I can see someone putting it in neutral accidentally while on the highway. Plus those buttons are sataana's own work perkele

If its all software, you can do fun things like transmission will not shift if wheel speed sensor isn't reading zero.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Realistically speaking, the shifter would probably never get out of park given my experience with capacitive touch buttons

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

"Sorry officer, my dog stepped on the center console and shifted the car into neutral."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

"Sorry officer, my dog stepped on the center console and shifted the car into neutral."

Your dog could also step onto the center console and bump a conventional lever from D to N too though.

What I'm saying is don't be one of those horrible people that treats their car like a zoo enclosure.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You're telling me I'll have to take off my gloves in winter to change out of park?

(cynic in me says people will take their gloves off just to text and drive anyway...)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Slavvy posted:

Your dog could also step onto the center console and bump a conventional lever from D to N too though.

What I'm saying is don't be one of those horrible people that treats their car like a zoo enclosure.

There are regular dogs at your zoo? That's impressively boring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Jebus posted:

It's a shih tzu

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

:wow:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slavvy posted:

Unless your dog has opposable thumbs to press in the button at the same time as moving the lever I feel this is something that's not going to happen any time soon.

Also what kind of twat lets their dog roam around freely in the car?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

88h88 posted:

Like 90% of dog owning Americans, sadly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

Unless your dog has opposable thumbs to press in the button at the same time as moving the lever I feel this is something that's not going to happen any time soon.

you can slap a shifter in most cars from D to P without the button.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

That was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I applaud you for taking it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm not a particularly big fan of focus testing, but did no one put a regular driver behind the wheel and then ask about their experience with this new system before producing +800,000 vehicles? I'm honestly really confused as to how it got to mass production before anyone noticed that it wasn't very clear if the 3,000 pound vehicle, that they were expecting the average, distracted driver to buy, was in park or drive.

And for LEO chat, I'm pretty sure that you can turn your hazards on to acknowledge that you are going to comply with the order to pull over, but still drive to a safer area if you don't feel comfortable with the emergency vehicle/location. Maybe that's just Illinois and not all of the US, but I remember this being a big deal when Ford stopped making Crown Vic Interceptors and police departments started to pull people over in unfamiliar cars. My favorite UC cars so far are this pair of white Dodge Rams loaded to look like work trucks that cruise around in the evenings and pull over assholes in rush hour, and my town's lime green Turbo Fiesta. Seeing that tiny thing fly over the train tracks with the lights and sirens was just hilarious

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

I just want to let you know that this is beautiful.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

Wow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

you can slap a shifter in most cars from D to P without the button.

Interdasting. I imagine in modern cars this is all avoidable due to electronics? If not, even more of a case for putting a harness on your dog in the car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

88h88 posted:

My car goes from D to N with the push of a finger, no button required and most conventional automatic cars I've driven could do this without applying the brake or the button or any other kind of interlock. Most new cars that still cling to a physical shifter still behave this way (if they're out there by all means speak up) AFAIK, even the ones where the shifter follows a channel and the only interlock switch is the brake pedal.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I can go freely from R to N to D, and back to N, without hitting the button. Also from 1 to 2 to regular Drive.
I actually asked about it in the stupid car questions thread recently-ish because I thought my new used car (First gen Focus) might be broken.

E: Going into park requires both the shifter button and the brake to be depressed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

Hours late, but drat

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cephalopods posted:

I can go freely from R to N to D, and back to N, without hitting the button. Also from 1 to 2 to regular Drive.
I actually asked about it in the stupid car questions thread recently-ish because I thought my new used car (First gen Focus) might be broken.

E: Going into park requires both the shifter button and the brake to be depressed.

Can you go from R to D whilst moving backwards at more than 10mph? Likewise D to R? I'm interested to know if there's actually any systems in place to stop this happening.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

Next day reply. Fantastic.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

A guy I know had his dog knock the tree shifter into reverse at freeway speed in his F350.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Jebus posted:

Zoo Miami has Singing Dogs. My ex worked there, and whenever she was giving a behind-the-scenes tour, they'd let us into their enclousure. As it turns out, they're just really good dogges that like pettes.

:3:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrYenko posted:

Zoo Miami has Singing Dogs. My ex worked there, and whenever she was giving a behind-the-scenes tour, they'd let us into their enclousure. As it turns out, they're just really good dogges that like pettes.

:3:

The Phoenix Zoo has African Wild Dogs, and Prairie Dogs. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

Holy poo poo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dont get it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
A shih tzu is a dog, and it's pronounced "poo poo zoo"

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

poo poo zoo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AncientTV posted:

A shih tzu is a dog, and it's pronounced "poo poo zoo"

:doh::doh::doh:
I blame pronouncing is 'She tsu'

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AirRaid posted:

In the UK you have a right not to stop for an unmarked car flashing blues at you. You can signal that you have seen them, and continue to a public place to stop. You are then allowed to not open the doors/windows until the officer shows you official ID.

Wish it was this way in the US, but then again we have unmarked cars with dark tint that resemble the same dark-tint street cars that get pulled over routinely because cops have a hard-on for hassling people. I had a cop pull me over for a dead tail light on my way home about a month ago while he ignored other people around me who were tailgating, obstructing traffic lanes like dumb assholes, and a guy that blatantly ran a red light in the lane next to me.

Yep, love those priorities, along with cops getting pissy when someone knows their rights and dares to ask why they were pulled over, or if they're being charged/arrested for any reason. gently caress rear end in a top hat cops like that, my taxes pay your ridiculous, overblown donut-scarfing, coffee addicted lazy rear end salary, maybe you should do your loving jobs instead of only patrolling around holidays when it's convenient for your "non-existent" ticket quotas.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

Wish it was this way in the US,
No, it's different in every state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Ozz81 posted:

Wish it was this way in the US, but then again we have unmarked cars with dark tint that resemble the same dark-tint street cars that get pulled over routinely because cops have a hard-on for hassling people. I had a cop pull me over for a dead tail light on my way home about a month ago while he ignored other people around me who were tailgating, obstructing traffic lanes like dumb assholes, and a guy that blatantly ran a red light in the lane next to me.

Yep, love those priorities, along with cops getting pissy when someone knows their rights and dares to ask why they were pulled over, or if they're being charged/arrested for any reason. gently caress rear end in a top hat cops like that, my taxes pay your ridiculous, overblown donut-scarfing, coffee addicted lazy rear end salary, maybe you should do your loving jobs instead of only patrolling around holidays when it's convenient for your "non-existent" ticket quotas.

Met a guy who was an rear end in a top hat when I was in high school with him. Turns out he is now an overweight cop for a small suburb in Dallas and he informed me he loves to pull over minorities just to gently caress with them, so this all checks out.